Tuesday, March 28, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Nicole from Williston Park might have some explaining to do to people she knows and penalty was a rough one for it to have cost her the game.
I always yell at the TV when the contestant I'm rooting for takes a wild guess and misses. Nicole blowing 2000 on DJ22 turned out to be the difference in her not having a runnaway for a second straight game. :x
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:59 pm Matched Nicole
Ditto.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Oooph! I guess "busiest bus terminal" should have done it, but the repetition of USA in category and clue made me think I was looking for a federal agency, maybe in DC, and not surprisingly I was pretty blank on what terminal and agency those could be... :roll: The right response never came close to my mind...
I'll say this, no one has been "awed" by the Port Authority Bus Terminal in many decades...At best, "concrete" has always been my impression for its materials...

I think it likely, since they accepted just "Port Authority," they would accept a response that placed the terminal in the right city/state. They once accepted "New York City Library" for "New York Public Library," which makes me shudder...New York Port Authority just seems like a faster way to say it... :)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ken made a wrong pronunciation. It's griMACE, not GRIMMəs. Rhymes with replace.

It was very pleasant watching the contestants mostly play the categories from top to bottom.

I thought of saying the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey but worried that that would be risking it a la Dr Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. I figured they would accept just Port Authority; however, they did ask for the name of the agency, not the bus terminal.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I pulled the name with a few seconds to spare, and that was with no detours because I knew my answer immediately but needed a plain name. On trips to the Apple in the 80's I used to rubberneck around 42nd Street and Times Square when they were still sleazy, and the tour route ended at the Port Authority. I'm pretty sure I heard "New York Port Authority" more times than not, and never with the shoutout to NJ. I'm on team "davey" about accepting the NYPA variant as being just as accurate as the answer they took.

I can see how this is a tough clue, even for locals. Bus logistics is not a thing anymore, and the name isn't evocative of grandeur, like Grand Central Station or Rockefeller Plaza. I always think of Midnight Cowboy associated with this place.

I missed the first half and didn't get into the flow of the game to know about the Lisa vibe. There seemed to be some circular firing squad clues in DJ.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

As a non-New Yorker, none of the clues in FJ! meant anything to me, but on Law & Order, anytime a suspect is fleeing town, somebody always suggests checking the Port Authority, so that seemed as good a response as any to me.
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:36 pm Ken made a wrong pronunciation. It's griMACE, not GRIMMəs. Rhymes with replace.
"[G]rimace... is now almost universally pronounced /grim-əs/. But the word came into English from French in the 17th century as /gri-mays/ (rhyming with face), and as recently as the 1970s that pronunciation was still preferred."

-- Garner's Modern American Usage

One theory for the shift in pronunciation is that the name of the purple fellow, which was always pronounced grim-əs, crowded out the alternative in the public consciousness.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Always remember and never forget:
She who grimaces makes funny faces
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Prior to being renamed the “Port Authority of New York and New Jersey,” it was the “Port of New York Authority” although frequently called the “New York Port Authority.”

I thought “Port Authority” on its own was not specific enough so something to tie it to NYC was needed. Although given how the name of the terminal is just Port Authority Bus Terminal (and likewise, the transit system under the Hudson - PATH - is an acronym for Port Authority Trans-Hudson), I suspect relatively few know its full name. If it were up to me, given how relatively unknown the full name is, I’d accept anything with New York and Port Authority and particularly New York Port Authority.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

mahatma wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:48 pm I know the song references MTA, and they call their pass the Charlie Card because of it, but I lived in Boston for several years, and I have always remembered the name as MBTA.
Back when that song was written in 1949 -- and 10 years later when the Kingston Trio's version was released -- the transit authority serving Boston was called MTA (for Metropolitan Transit Authority), but in 1964 it was reorganized and renamed MBTA (for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority).

The MTA in New York stands for Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Los Angeles also had an MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) from 1951 to 1964, when it reorganized and became RTD (Southern California Rapid Transit District). After another reorganization in 1993, the agency is now officially LACMTA (Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority), but they use the branding "Metro."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:36 pm Ken made a wrong pronunciation. It's griMACE, not GRIMMəs. Rhymes with replace.
I wonder why you didn't complain when Alex used that pronunciation in this game.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $34,000

43 R (3 DDs), 1 W

FJ: :( Was in the right area but only got as far as NYDOT, which as it turns out isn't even the complete name.

LT: Point Barrow, Bernanke, Veracruz, Bernini

Categories Swept: BEASTLY IDIOMS, 80s COMEDIES, WHEN IN ROME, WORLD HISTORY

In other news, as of today I officially take my first dive into the contestant pool. :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 pm Bus logistics is not a thing anymore, and the name isn't evocative of grandeur, like Grand Central Station or Rockefeller Plaza.
It's evocative of something, but it sure ain't grandeur.
davey

Post by davey »

jamie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:19 am As a non-New Yorker, none of the clues in FJ! meant anything to me, but on Law & Order, anytime a suspect is fleeing town, somebody always suggests checking the Port Authority, so that seemed as good a response as any to me.
"[G]rimace... is now almost universally pronounced /grim-əs/. But the word came into English from French in the 17th century as /gri-mays/ (rhyming with face), and as recently as the 1970s that pronunciation was still preferred."

One theory for the shift in pronunciation is that the name of the purple fellow, which was always pronounced grim-əs, crowded out the alternative in the public consciousness.
When I was a child I looked up this word in a dictionary and noticed that the pronunciation given didn't match what I had heard...For a long time, whenever I heard it, I said (probably only to myself) it's /ɡrɪˈmeɪs/! (This is from the OED.) After a while, when I never heard anyone say it that way (and why would they?), I realized I was being unbearably smug. Not that that's a problem for anyone around here... :lol: , just :lol
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:14 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:41 pm Bus logistics is not a thing anymore, and the name isn't evocative of grandeur, like Grand Central Station or Rockefeller Plaza.
It's evocative of something, but it sure ain't grandeur.
Right, and the more I think about this clue, the suggestion that the terminal is a great landmark, or architectural marvel, or something, is misleading, and the excuse I'll be giving for why this NYer came nowhere near getting it right... :roll:
And since when is NY in the USA, anyway?... ;)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Couldn't get the Paladin question or Jack Palance. But very proud of myself for getting Anya Taylor-Joy. :) )
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jamie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:19 am As a non-New Yorker, none of the clues in FJ! meant anything to me, but on Law & Order, anytime a suspect is fleeing town, somebody always suggests checking the Port Authority, so that seemed as good a response as any to me.
L&O is also my source of awareness for the Port Authority. But I always imagined the suspect trying to stowaway on a cargo ship out of town.
jamie wrote:

Ronald’s shake-loving buddy is how I pronounce grimace. Never heard it any other way.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I've never heard the word in question pronounced "grimACE" in all my 67 years.

Went to a whole bunch of pronunciation sites just now, and nearly all of them said the word is pronounced "grimmus". A few said "GrimACE" is an alternate pronunciation, and only a tiny few said "grimACE" was the correct way without mentioning "grimmus" as an alternate.

Anyway, if you want to pronounce it "grimACE", I won't GrumBELL about it. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yeah, the only time I've encountered the weird pronunciation of "grimace" was in a limerick book:

The menagerie came to our place,
And I loved the gorilla's grimace.
It surprised me to learn
That he owned the concern,
Being human, but odd in the face.

The stretches it took to rhyme it and understand it made it unsatisfying.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I only learned recently that Grimace the McDonald's character was originally designed to be evil à la Hamburglar, and was meant to resemble a giant taste bud. I couldn't figure out why they'd name a kid's character after an expression of pain.