Thursday, March 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, March 30, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:13 pm I wanted to respond with "sword" to the Massachusetts motto clue, but I couldn't find any sword word in the Latin.

Here's the clue:
Massachusetts has ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem, "by" this weapon "we seek peace, but only peace under liberty"

The Wikipedia page about the motto says it literally translates to "she seeks with the sword a quiet peace under liberty." Eventually I zeroed in on petit, which is a verb that can mean to beg, seek, aim at, or attack as with a weapon. So there's not exactly a sword in the motto, though one is certainly implied.
Slowly removing words using Google translate has me think 'ense' is the sword bit.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:36 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:13 pm I wanted to respond with "sword" to the Massachusetts motto clue, but I couldn't find any sword word in the Latin.

Here's the clue:
Massachusetts has ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem, "by" this weapon "we seek peace, but only peace under liberty"

The Wikipedia page about the motto says it literally translates to "she seeks with the sword a quiet peace under liberty." Eventually I zeroed in on petit, which is a verb that can mean to beg, seek, aim at, or attack as with a weapon. So there's not exactly a sword in the motto, though one is certainly implied.
Slowly removing words using Google translate has me think 'ense' is the sword bit.
Oh, sure enough! When I just googled "Latin ense" it gave me a Wiktionary definition of "in agreement" and I stopped pursuing it from there, figuring it was some particle that was hard to translate on its own. Turns out that Google served me up the definition of the word ense in Swedish, and under the Latin heading on the page it says it's the ablative singular of ēnsis, whose page says it means sword.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Here's the clue:

Edit: As Volante says in the first post on the next page, "Ense" is the part that means sword.
I certainly couldn't parse out the weapon either but figured a sword was by far the most likely weapon to appear in such a context.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

So what's the difference between an ense and a gladius?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Some prurient-minded friends who took Latin in HS mis-informed me about the Latin word for sword (possibly due to the Latin word for sheath), leading to much confusion on that question. Easy FJ for me tonight, like the LL question last season, possibly because I grew up 6 blocks from Jacuzzi St.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am So what's the difference between an ense and a gladius?
I found this essay online that says that gladius is prosaic and ensis is poetical.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

where was the "p" for sword?

Reading is fundamental, is what many of us learned during our time at Bronx Science. What a poor representation.

Went with Sonic for my FJ guess.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed David Cassidy, failed to connect the dots. Also missed The Falcon and the Snowman.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guessed "sword" based somewhat on its history as a symbol, but probably more on confusing "ense" for "sword" with "anse" for "handle".

I don't understand the bit about Scott and Zelda's lives being "far from this side of paradise". Were they more like Paradise itself?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had some errands to run last year and paid the Fitzgeralds a visit on the way there.

Fitzgeralds.jpg
Fitzgeralds.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 906 times
mujason

Post by mujason »

Lefty wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:52 am I guessed "sword" based somewhat on its history as a symbol, but probably more on confusing "ense" for "sword" with "anse" for "handle".

I don't understand the bit about Scott and Zelda's lives being "far from this side of paradise". Were they more like Paradise itself?
F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote "This Side of Paradise."
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mujason wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:44 pm
Lefty wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:52 am I guessed "sword" based somewhat on its history as a symbol, but probably more on confusing "ense" for "sword" with "anse" for "handle".

Yes, but what does it mean to be "far from this side of paradise"?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 pm
mujason wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:44 pm

Yes, but what does it mean to be "far from this side of paradise"?
Nothing in the context of the clue...
Though Ring Lardner called this duo the prince & princess of their generation, their lives weren't exactly "This Side of Paradise"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The point is, the use of "this side of paradise" to mean, I don't know, something idyllic, is misguided, especially when trying to evoke the opposite of that by negating the phrase, since the opposite of "this side of paradise" (the way I think it's meant to be understood) would be paradise itself.
davey

Post by davey »

If they considered it logically at all, the writers may have been thinking "just this side of paradise," in other words "close to paradise," even if that's not the intended meaning of the title.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:05 am The point is, the use of "this side of paradise" to mean, I don't know, something idyllic, is misguided
I am no poetry critic. But when I read the Rupert Brooke poem I get the feeling that Brooke sees mortal reality (at least as lived in Tahiti) as more paradisiac than paradise. I don't know if this is the place for it, but I'd love to hear some analysis of the poem. Googling leads to little more than the wayward thoughts of high school sophomores.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:50 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:05 am The point is, the use of "this side of paradise" to mean, I don't know, something idyllic, is misguided
I am no poetry critic. But when I read the Rupert Brooke poem I get the feeling that Brooke sees mortal reality (at least as lived in Tahiti) as more paradisiac than paradise. I don't know if this is the place for it, but I'd love to hear some analysis of the poem. Googling leads to little more than the wayward thoughts of high school sophomores.
I think you have it.
Try this-
https://www.mqup.ca/blog/fatal-glamour- ... rt-brooke/
As the writer says, it's anti-Platonist. And the poem's narrator is beginning to be contented with the material pleasures "well this side of Paradise."
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

For the clue about what direction people face in an Orthodox church, they didn't specify a cardinal point, so I said "What is toward the altar?" instead of the expected "What is east?" From what I can find online, it seems my response is right, though the altar is usually hidden behind a curtain. The priest and congregation are facing in that direction even when they can't see it. But I've never actually attended an Orthodox service so I don't know for sure.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

bibliophage wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:01 pm For the clue about what direction people face in an Orthodox church, they didn't specify a cardinal point, so I said "What is toward the altar?" instead of the expected "What is east?" From what I can find online, it seems my response is right, though the altar is usually hidden behind a curtain. The priest and congregation are facing in that direction even when they can't see it. But I've never actually attended an Orthodox service so I don't know for sure.
It feels like a difficult clue for $400, unless you're familiar with the phrase ad orientem for that positioning, or maybe if you just assume east is the most spiritual-sounding direction to face. Did they mean for people to get it by thinking Orthodox --> Eastern Orthodox --> east? Because I don't think there's really a connection there.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

jamie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 am
bibliophage wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:01 pm For the clue about what direction people face in an Orthodox church, they didn't specify a cardinal point, so I said "What is toward the altar?" instead of the expected "What is east?" From what I can find online, it seems my response is right, though the altar is usually hidden behind a curtain. The priest and congregation are facing in that direction even when they can't see it. But I've never actually attended an Orthodox service so I don't know for sure.
It feels like a difficult clue for $400, unless you're familiar with the phrase ad orientem for that positioning, or maybe if you just assume east is the most spiritual-sounding direction to face. Did they mean for people to get it by thinking Orthodox --> Eastern Orthodox --> east? Because I don't think there's really a connection there.
Remembering all those medieval maps with east (i.e. "Jerusalem") at the top.