Masters Monday, May 15, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Masters Monday, May 15, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

From the boxscores, Andrew just had a terrible time buzzing against James and Sam. 44 buzz attempts to 50 for James but he only won 27%, and a brutal 4 for 18 in DJ. I was thinking about 20 clues into the round we had possibly not even heard from him once!

In the other game, a shockingly low total for Matt with only 34 buzzer attempts. But he managed to win over half of them, 53% is his best showing in the tournament so far. Low attempts for all three of Mattea, Amy, and Matt, 41/41/34, but only 4 triple stumpers, showing that there was a ton of non-overlapping knowledge between these 3 on these boards.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

58 R (Could not remember Kristin Chenoweth or Irving K. Thalberg.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Game 2:

56 R (Missed Safer Johnson, Jack Buck, and a couple clues in TV Therapists.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Matt's regular-game FJ wagering strategy of rounding the cover wager to the next thousand* would have cost him the game here.

*The only times his FJ wager didn't end in 000 were in his first game, where he led by $400 and bet it all (the next thousand being more than his score), and in the season 37 finale where he bet $1 against Rowan Ward at half his score.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

mat's board game troubles are hilarious I can definitely imagine that and I think many have been the situation siblings or not. throughout this tournament that has been a decent amount of sibling questions so I think someone joke somewhere hear (forgot the thread) listing A few 'nonsense tournament names' along with 'people who have the same name tournament', a 'Brothers tournament'. I wonder if he really is thinking of doing siblings of the Jeopardy champions tournament at this point (granted if he is i give it to him that he is setting the hype nicely). it took until to this episode in which he brought a wrestling belt that I realize that lampshades are completely off the table as he continues to re-enact smackDown. The also but all the James points per it was funny.

what were they thinking for Great sports calls category, this involves not just a knowledge of sports but basically having to listen to every recording of games (and the correct broadcaster at that which could differ between radio and TV.). for 600 studying for that one would involve listening to every Super Bowl that Al (A prolific announcer) announced which would be ridiculous and I am not even sure if they are all available legally. (or possibly at all since the earlier ones were wiped.) this would be ridiculous even for sports jeopardy unless they gave at least a decade and possibly something less generic than "Can he get in". I remember trying to put resin on my violin. (and use the first pronunciation that Sam said)
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:21 am Ken knows his chat material to be ready with... "feet" for Amy's karaoke song story.

Sam got the laugh of the second game with the clue selection of, "Stuff only old guys would know" and he is going to need some good extra good fortune to avoid the bottom two elimination.

The combination of Andrew betting his 2000 and James' score of 0 was great and Ken was on the ball again for the lay-up of James' score still on there.
I found the comment Sam did was enjoyable too.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Game Girl wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:06 pm what were they thinking for Great sports calls category, this involves not just a knowledge of sports but basically having to listen to every recording of games (and the correct broadcaster at that which could differ between radio and TV.). for 600 studying for that one would involve listening to every Super Bowl that Al (A prolific announcer) announced which would be ridiculous and I am not even sure if they are all available legally. (or possibly at all since the earlier ones were wiped.) this would be ridiculous even for sports jeopardy unless they gave at least a decade and possibly something less generic than "Can he get in". I remember trying to put resin on my violin. (and use the first pronunciation that Sam said)
I know plenty of Jeopardy fans don't do sports, but all these clues were sports trivia 101. Here's how a sports fan would approach each clue.

Andres Cantor blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.... GOAL!!!!!!! He's been calling soccer games for over 30 years and is known worldwide.

Down Goes Frazier, this call transcends sports, it's known in every circle. if a drunk in a bar topples over some dude will invariably go "Down goes Frazier!"

Dyson/Jones, probably the most difficult of the bunch but also a very famous Super Bowl play as it ended SB34. Kevin Dyson was a star WR for the Titans while Jones was a star LB for the Rams. If you recognize one of the players you'll make the connection.

Jack Buck, I can't believe what I just saw is one of the top 5 baseball calls of all time. Furthermore, name a famous announcer who's father to another famous announcer is a dead giveaway to Jack Buck.

Gonzaga, name a school in Spokane, WA. Done.

There are things in the Jeopardy canon that you just can't really study for, you just have to know them. Sports and Pop Culture are two subjects that while you can study somewhat for, it's infinitely easier to just pay attention.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

Golf wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:08 pm
Game Girl wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:06 pm what were they thinking for Great sports calls category, this involves not just a knowledge of sports but basically having to listen to every recording of games (and the correct broadcaster at that which could differ between radio and TV.). for 600 studying for that one would involve listening to every Super Bowl that Al (A prolific announcer) announced which would be ridiculous and I am not even sure if they are all available legally. (or possibly at all since the earlier ones were wiped.) this would be ridiculous even for sports jeopardy unless they gave at least a decade and possibly something less generic than "Can he get in". I remember trying to put resin on my violin. (and use the first pronunciation that Sam said)
I know plenty of Jeopardy fans don't do sports, but all these clues were sports trivia 101. Here's how a sports fan would approach each clue.

Andres Cantor blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.... GOAL!!!!!!! He's been calling soccer games for over 30 years and is known worldwide.

Down Goes Frazier, this call transcends sports, it's known in every circle. if a drunk in a bar topples over some dude will invariably go "Down goes Frazier!"

Dyson/Jones, probably the most difficult of the bunch but also a very famous Super Bowl play as it ended SB34. Kevin Dyson was a star WR for the Titans while Jones was a star LB for the Rams. If you recognize one of the players you'll make the connection.

Jack Buck, I can't believe what I just saw is one of the top 5 baseball calls of all time. Furthermore, name a famous announcer who's father to another famous announcer is a dead giveaway to Jack Buck.

Gonzaga, name a school in Spokane, WA. Done.

There are things in the Jeopardy canon that you just can't really study for, you just have to know them. Sports and Pop Culture are two subjects that while you can study somewhat for, it's infinitely easier to just pay attention.
I appreciate your comment and assistants dearly definitely on 600. yeah the last two ones actually i felt were ok as there was no vagueness or in terms of 600 I find that was basically his signature line that everyone now since then has used (even commercial and parodies that line) and what I said above.
I kind of got to it a weird way not to mention assumed other than the first one that they all were about American football.
i know a chunk of the 1973 American football season was wiped. (stupid now that I see it is boxing.) (I come from a baseball, football family)

slightly unrelevant but the radio comment was related to the fact (for those slightly unfamiliar) that from what I can tell every station has their own local cast (satellite radio seems to choose one or the other local analog one's for the games) and your station would be the one you would be familiar with. (granted listening to the sports radio broadcast in the morning at 800am that my dad enjoyed as a kid did not help me understand much about sports beyond what I already know, if you plan to use that for your jeopardy audition but that might have something to do with it being during the winter Hot stove time but I remember the theme song.)

but thanks for helping clarify to me and everyone else the sports reference that I mixed up royally.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Golf wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:08 pm Furthermore, name a famous announcer who's father to another famous announcer is a dead giveaway to Jack Buck.
Harry and Skip Caray are another pair. I don't know how famous Chip is, but there's a third generation.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There haven’t been many Super Bowls that were decided on the final play with a player tackled just short of the end zone so knowing that is another way in.

That being said, I’d have put that at the bottom but that’s just me. It was easier for me because I was living in Tennessee at the time and was excited about the game so it is embedded in my memory.
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

bumping this up for reruns. (which seems to be a thing based on the other episodes) Nice to see the 'wrestling belt episode' again. definitely since I think the first time I was overwhelmed with all of everything at once. anyhow no DVR this time by memory completely but let me begin. the first half was nice mat was really great to watch on this along with Matya. (Voice dictation will never get her name right) something I missed the first time due to the craziness of the second half (not to mention the day before my birthday). The second half I pretty sure I said a lot the first times though like I said above (somehow did not make it into the previous comment) The wrestling belt Slamdown was definitely rememberable even if probably should have have gotten him removed immediately. (almost even reality competition show even has that as 'instance removal' requirements, this is not even a personal opinion.)

This might be orthodox since technically a different show but I found it funny that in the Chayse episode that was aired afterwards (in the rerun) he says keep it clean ("it is a family show") with that bluish planet. A comment we have said about his masters behaviour.

Also this past week I came to the realisation that for the Masters to work we might need a different host (though since making this half I have seen the nice comments that Andrew he made, this portion was a leftover segment for another one of the recent (not the first post I made) season 40 predictions that I decided would be more on topic for the next masters rerun).

neither of our hosts have the ability to this. I was looking forward to seeing Ken host and made the most sense in everyone's mind but I realized I think we all forgot one skill that the former host Trebek had that neither of ours have. this might sound strange but we need a host that knows how to deal with kids (and I guess technically wrestlers). The masters were filled with people (or person) doing childlike behaviour that the former host would of nipped before even started. this is because he has experience hosting teen quiz shows and childhood quiz shows before jeopardy. (and occasionally during)

i mean I really wanted Ken to work I really did but The show needs discipline. I did not even think of that until on this forum someone mentioned the game that is "in the 8000" because buzzy had to be put in his place by Trebek. this seems to not be a problem in the regular season because (even though this is a split second guess) there is not enough time to get to this point or everyone is too busy getting ready to go on stage (hometown howdies) to discover their 'personal differences' or whatever happened. but it seems these tournaments can become childhood romper room if someone let it boil to a point. none of these comments are really relevant for the main flagship game since none of the problems have really occurred on those shows. (though maybe Ken should be the producer, fleeting thought.)

The show seems to know this to extent even before the new hosts as they believed that contestants were going to go out there with their undergarments. (which led to that famous scenario) but the point of the matter is that they believed it would happen, they were sure the maturity of those contestants were low enough to go out on stage like that (even if they actually were not planning on it and the recently released (on one of the podcast) tape makes a sound like there was just beep talking). I am not even sure if they are any current hosts have the experience since 'childhood game shows' have been pretty much very minimal. (I mean I remember a few in my childhood but you can count them on one hand) Ken is a amazing host but not a child expert. The host of celebrity Jeopardy (voice dictation is never gonna get her name because her name is not on the top 1000 (from my knowledge) like Ken, nothing wrong with that but I usually have to spend the extra 15 minutes when I mention her name, not even exaggerating) does not have that either. I will also say that I cannot see her doing much better if anything it was just be more cringe worthy for reasons other than her skill as host for grown people, as much as I am annoyed at her sometimes (because I want the best to come from both of them). she does not deserve to be let out into that whole 'situation' thinking it will just be a regular gig.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Game Girl wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:54 pm ...
The host of celebrity Jeopardy (voice dictation is never gonna get her name because her name is not on the top 1000 (from my knowledge) like Ken, nothing wrong with that but I usually have to spend the extra 15 minutes when I mention her name, (not even exaggerating) does not have that either...
If you say MB would that work? That is a known shortcut here for Mayim Bialik. "She-Host" is probably not a favorable option as well as "Blossom".
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:18 pm
Game Girl wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:54 pm ...
The host of celebrity Jeopardy (voice dictation is never gonna get her name because her name is not on the top 1000 (from my knowledge) like Ken, nothing wrong with that but I usually have to spend the extra 15 minutes when I mention her name, (not even exaggerating) does not have that either...
If you say MB would that work? That is a known shortcut here for Mayim Bialik. "She-Host" is probably not a favorable option as well as "Blossom".
exactly that is why I went with the host of celebrity jeopardy because referring to mb as the female host was not going to fly and good reason. as a female myself I acknowledge that women are more than there gender. in terms of voice dictation it usually comes up as some sort of Maya variation. (on a good day, sometimes it' just says my-random thing after) and even considered just referring to her as Mayam. anyhow thanks for pointing out a shortcut name that works better than a misspelled name.