Monday, June 5, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 5, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, June 5, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACRONYMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was originally a code word used by telegraph operators; Barack Obama used it in his Twitter handle

Jared Watson: 19600-1999=17601 (3x = $56,202)
Harrison Seidel: 8800+3900=12700
Annabelle Winter: 2400+2395=4795

Correct response:
Spoiler
POTUS (Jared – stop)

Daily Doubles
Jared: 0+1000
Jared: 9800+3000
Jared: 19200+2000

Coryats
Jared: 17000
Harrison: 8800
Annabelle: 2400

Combined: 28,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jared: 5000
Harrison: 2000
Annabelle: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Where could DD3 be? Where it won't be is where DD2 was located. :roll:

Jared is not perfect on sports clues, but clearly knows the area better than a lot of J! players.

Only after getting past "stop" that Jared wrote did I figure out what to guess for the FJ! clue. My path was a little off from the clue as it was not Twitter or telegraph that got me there. It was more thinking of presidential terms that helped me.

Jared has missed a wagering clue each day. Perhaps day 4 will give him a clean sheet when betting.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

With a less hinty category, this would have been a great Final clue. Looking a the category, the correct response seems obvious. (Playing from this thread, I got it without first looking at the category, and felt let down when I saw what the category was.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's your fourth podium poll:

viewtopic.php?t=7108
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jared’s no response on DJ26 gave Harrison a shot at a lock/tie, but he was unable to run the last four $400 clues.

Instaget FJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm Jared’s no response on DJ26 gave Harrison a shot at a lock/tie, but he was unable to run the last four $400 clues.

Instaget FJ.
If Harrison had clammed on DJ26 he might have been able to get a tiebreaker or better. (I assume he got Gauss in trying to work from "gases" to a scientist's name, when the way to go was to rhyme "you are." Not that I did much better; I couldn't get away from Priestley, knowing he wasn't right—plus his name was Joseph, which I couldn't think of at the time—until a moment too late when I got Dewar.)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Technically, wasn’t Harrison’s FJ response incorrect, since it wasn’t an acronym?
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

In "G"eography, the clue "Beware monsters in the valley of this river that flows near Yuma; it's where the same-named poisonous lizard hangs out" was worded incorrectly.

Gila monsters are venomous, not poisonous.
Last edited by mikebdoss on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:54 pm In "G"eography, "Beware monsters in the valley of this river that flows near Yuma; it's where the same-named poisonous lizard hangs out" was worded incorrectly. Gila monsters are venomous, not poisonous.
It's not like they have researchers for these things ...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm Jared’s no response on DJ26 gave Harrison a shot at a lock/tie, but he was unable to run the last four $400 clues.

Instaget FJ.
If Harrison had clammed on DJ26 he might have been able to get a tiebreaker or better. (I assume he got Gauss in trying to work from "gases" to a scientist's name, when the way to go was to rhyme "you are." Not that I did much better; I couldn't get away from Priestley, knowing he wasn't right—plus his name was Joseph, which I couldn't think of at the time—until a moment too late when I got Dewar.)
I've misplaced my copy of "Biography for Beginners" but if Edmund Clerihew Bentley had treated Priestley, I'd expect to find it online and I can't. So here goes:

Joseph Priestley
Not just, but not leastly
To us did bequeath
The thing that we breathe.

Much poetry that appears online is misquoted, but I think if ECB had in fact written "liquefy", there wouldn't be so much "condense" out there. Ragged meter is a hallmark of the clerihew, but most of the master's examples contain one couplet that does scan, and I think "liquefy" would work better here. Still, what he wrote is what he wrote, and should be left alone (by the way, it appears that "liquefy" was not coined until 1929, which would certainly excuse Bentley's choice).

As for FJ, I think I do better with stuff I never knew at all than with things I knew and forgot. I'm sure Obama's nom de tweet is among the latter but "Wilco" was all that came through.

ETA--I don't know if Mayim read the rest of the limerick but if not, "...She set out one day/In a relative way/ And returned home* the previous night."

* I had first written "on" for "home" but quoteinvestigator claims that the latter is right so all my apologies to A. H. Reginald Buller.
I'm smart and I want respect.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:54 pm In "G"eography, the clue "Beware monsters in the valley of this river that flows near Yuma; it's where the same-named poisonous lizard hangs out" was worded incorrectly.

Gila monsters are venomous, not poisonous.
Maybe both. I think they're one of those slow-moving deadly reptiles whose bites are septic because of their appalling diet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:20 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:54 pm In "G"eography, "Beware monsters in the valley of this river that flows near Yuma; it's where the same-named poisonous lizard hangs out" was worded incorrectly. Gila monsters are venomous, not poisonous.
It's not like they have researchers for these things ...
Yeah, but you hate to ask one of them to put down their sign and come inside and check.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I don't like this one. Pretty obvious, Jared knew the answer and got hosed by the phrasing of the clue.

SJ8 $1000 THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM: In 1985, the teammates seen here (Annabelle: Who are the L.A. Lakers?) (Jared: Who are Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier?)

I watch on DVR, and fast forwarded right to the start of the round, but if Mayim did not specify that in that answer has to be a team. How is Gretzky and Messier incorrect? Based on the answer given as a clue. That is much more correct than the Edmonton Oilers. Sure sounds like they want the guys name, not the team name. Playing along, I said Messier and Gretzky of the Edmonton Oiler, because I was confused on what they wanted, and covered it all, but you shouldn't have to do that.

You want Edmonton Oilers, how about "In 1985, championship team represented by the teammates seen here"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The category title was THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. Gretzky and Messier was not the name of the team.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Sherm wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:09 pm I don't like this one. Pretty obvious, Jared knew the answer and got hosed by the phrasing of the clue.

SJ8 $1000 THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM: In 1985, the teammates seen here (Annabelle: Who are the L.A. Lakers?) (Jared: Who are Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier?)

I watch on DVR, and fast forwarded right to the start of the round, but if Mayim did not specify that in that answer has to be a team. How is Gretzky and Messier incorrect? Based on the answer given as a clue. That is much more correct than the Edmonton Oilers. Sure sounds like they want the guys name, not the team name. Playing along, I said Messier and Gretzky of the Edmonton Oiler, because I was confused on what they wanted, and covered it all, but you shouldn't have to do that.

You want Edmonton Oilers, how about "In 1985, championship team represented by the teammates seen here"
Even if so, there were three people in the photograph, and Jared only named two.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 pm
Sherm wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:09 pm I don't like this one. Pretty obvious, Jared knew the answer and got hosed by the phrasing of the clue.

Even if so, there were three people in the photograph, and Jared only named two.
The 3rd was holding an ESPN microphone. I assumed he was an interviewer, was he actually another player?

*EDIT* After finding the picture it was in fact Gretzky holding the microphone, "clowning around" with teammates Paul Coffey and Mark Messier.