Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

There's also DJ in Mary Hirschfeld game 2.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 pm There's also DJ in Mary Hirschfeld game 2.
Nice! Do you know if that was also Steven Dorfman?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:27 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 pm There's also DJ in Mary Hirschfeld game 2.
Nice! Do you know if that was also Steven Dorfman?
I would assume it was, but I don't know it. (For what it's worth, in Ken Jennings's interview with Carlo Panno, Carlo only alludes to a "John" round in J! and not DJ.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/4/23:

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

In yesterday's World Quizzing Championship, Victoria Groce finished 1st in North America (only North American in Top 10) and 2nd overall (one point behind 1st).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fox has a new reality show Stars on Mars filmed in Coober Pedy, Australia where it looks like the red planet. Lance Armstrong walks in and some of the other celebs are wondering what a real astronaut is doing there. Yes, some of the less-informed mixed up the cyclist with Neil Armstrong. :lol:
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

When I was at Ohio State, the astronomy professors and grad students would get together most weekdays and have a brief coffee session that was technically open to the public where they would usually discuss abstracts from recently published papers. Since John Glenn had donated a lot of money to the political science department, he would come to the university a few times a year and would show up to these things, and if people knew about it in advance, they would actually get people from the public and probably not discuss astronomy papers. One day in 2006, when Neil Armstrong was on his first public speaking tour since not too long after the moon landing, he showed up to one of these with John Glenn.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"How I met this astronaut" stories are probably my favorite genre of anecdotes (on J! or otherwise). When I was a kid my dad ran a chapter of Young Astronauts (think scouts but with science focus) and I did the Space Camp thing a couple of times. Met my share of astronauts, including Crippen while he was director of NASA, Aldrin, Glenn. I don't recall ever meeting Armstrong, though, even though he was associated with the university I went to. In the '80s, whenever there were talks or meet & greet events, you usually took home a glossy 8x10 of the astronaut in flight suit or pressure suit. Sadly, I didn't preserve that collection, which almost certainly included a picture like this of Bonnie Dunbar.

Among my favorite astronauts to hear talk were Paul Ronney and Don Pettit, enthusiastic guys with interesting science. Ronney studied little flame balls in microgravity (one of his experiments was destroyed with the Columbia). Pettit spent a long time in Antarctica studying micrometeorites (pick a teaspoon of snow off the ground there and it's chock full of 'em).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Jim Lovell and his family used to run a couple restaurants in the suburbs north of Chicago. Lots of memorabilia from his space career was on display, including Lovell himself oftentimes.
Those spots have closed down, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:44 am "How I met this astronaut" stories are probably my favorite genre of anecdotes (on J! or otherwise). When I was a kid my dad ran a chapter of Young Astronauts (think scouts but with science focus) and I did the Space Camp thing a couple of times. Met my share of astronauts, including Crippen while he was director of NASA, Aldrin, Glenn. I don't recall ever meeting Armstrong, though, even though he was associated with the university I went to. In the '80s, whenever there were talks or meet & greet events, you usually took home a glossy 8x10 of the astronaut in flight suit or pressure suit. Sadly, I didn't preserve that collection, which almost certainly included a picture like this of Bonnie Dunbar.

Among my favorite astronauts to hear talk were Paul Ronney and Don Pettit, enthusiastic guys with interesting science. Ronney studied little flame balls in microgravity (one of his experiments was destroyed with the Columbia). Pettit spent a long time in Antarctica studying micrometeorites (pick a teaspoon of snow off the ground there and it's chock full of 'em).
When I was growing up, I would have loved to have been an astronaut when I grew up. But I didn't think short, little Jewish guys became astronauts. So what happens when I meet my first astronaut (actually second, I got to chat with John Glenn for a while on a flight once when he was sitting in front of me)? He was a short, little Jewish guy. I guess I missed my calling.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:42 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:44 am "How I met this astronaut" stories are probably my favorite genre of anecdotes (on J! or otherwise). When I was a kid my dad ran a chapter of Young Astronauts (think scouts but with science focus) and I did the Space Camp thing a couple of times. Met my share of astronauts, including Crippen while he was director of NASA, Aldrin, Glenn. I don't recall ever meeting Armstrong, though, even though he was associated with the university I went to. In the '80s, whenever there were talks or meet & greet events, you usually took home a glossy 8x10 of the astronaut in flight suit or pressure suit. Sadly, I didn't preserve that collection, which almost certainly included a picture like this of Bonnie Dunbar.

When I was growing up, I would have loved to have been an astronaut when I grew up. But I didn't think short, little Jewish guys became astronauts. So what happens when I meet my first astronaut (actually second, I got to chat with John Glenn for a while on a flight once when he was sitting in front of me)? He was a short, little Jewish guy. I guess I missed my calling.
I had to read this a couple of times. At first, I thought you were saying that John Glenn was short and Jewish. Oops! :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:42 pm

Who was the short Jewish guy?

Howard Wolowitz is short and Jewish and he went into space.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:52 pm
Who was the short Jewish guy?

Howard Wolowitz is short and Jewish and he went into space.
Jay Apt
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:44 am "How I met this astronaut" stories are probably my favorite genre of anecdotes (on J! or otherwise).
Allllright!
Congrats on meeting so many astronauts!!
Given my passion for all things related to the moon landings and human spaceflight in general, I have met relatively few astronauts.
At a dinner about the Apollo 13 mission, I arrived late and my seat was taken by someone else. The organizers mucked around to find me another seat. Ten minutes later I was led to a seat at a table where a man stood up, shook my hand and said, "Hi, I'm Fred Haise." Jim Lovell's chair from the next table over was bumping against mine. Quite a night.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:52 pm Howard Wolowitz is short and Jewish and he went into space.
He should be on Celebrity Jeopardy!

In character.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:23 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:52 pm Howard Wolowitz is short and Jewish and he went into space.
He should be on Celebrity Jeopardy!

In character.
His wife was on, after all!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm currently sitting next to Joan Higginbotham, the third African-American woman in space!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

One time at the old Disneyland Tahitian Terrace, we were seated one table over from a space traveler of sorts--Ruth Buzzi!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Interesting anecdote related in a review in the Washington Post of Darrin Bell's book The Talk.

Bell also endures an incident with authority in a store — what he calls a terrifying “nightmare” — when a friend of Korean descent decides to shoplift. Darrin refuses to participate, but as he dramatizes in the book, Bell is the only one who is paraded through the store and put in handcuffs for the crime. As if to add insult to injury, the guard even says to Bell: “How did a boy like HIM get MIXED UP with a BOY like you?” (Bell is in grade school at the time, and when a police officer soon visits his class and needs a child to portray a dope dealer in a D.A.R.E. skit, he averts his eyes; fortunately, he says, classmate Mayim Bialik volunteers.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

RIP a true Jeopardy! fan, my Great Aunt Elaine, a month shy of her 99th birthday. She would often call me right after Final to discuss the outcome.