Season 39 preemptions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Season 39 preemptions

Post by mfc248 »

A bit late to the party on this, as the Nuggets just took Game 1, but the NBA Finals will impact Jeopardy! where it airs on ABC in the Pacific and Mountain time zones.

The relevant Finals games:
  • Game 1, Thursday, June 1 (5:30 PM PT)
  • Game 3, Wednesday, June 7 (5:30 PM PT)
  • Game 4, Friday, June 9 (5:30 PM PT)
  • Game 5, Monday, June 12 (5:30 PM PT, if necessary)
  • Game 6, Thursday, June 15 (5:30 PM PT, if necessary)
(Game 2, and Game 7 if necessary, will be played on Sundays.)

Jeopardy! is rescheduled to the following times in the affected markets; all listed times local, but Pacific where not stated otherwise:
  • Los Angeles (KABC) — 9:30 pm
  • San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (KGO) —10:30 pm
  • Seattle-Tacoma (KOMO) — 9:30 pm
  • Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto (KXTV) — 10:00 pm
  • Portland, OR (KATU) — 10:00 pm
  • Fresno-Visalia (KFSN) — 10:00 pm
  • Tucson, AZ (KGUN) — 9:00 pm MT
  • Reno (KOLO) — 8:30 pm
  • Medford-Klamath Falls, OR (KDRV) — 10:00 pm
  • Alaska (KYUR Anchorage, KATN Fairbanks, KJUD Juneau) — 8:00 pm AT on Thursday, nothing currently listed for remaining games
  • Bend, OR (KOHD) — 9:00 pm
  • Eureka, CA (KAEF) — 9:00 pm
  • Rapid City, SD (KOTA) — 9:30 pm MT
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Biden addressing the debt ceiling tonight at 7 PM EDT on ABC.
Douglas Squasoni
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The show was joined in progress on my station, WABC when
Spoiler
Jared responded correctly
to clue 10 of the Double Jeopardy! round.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:19 pm Biden addressing the debt ceiling tonight at 7 PM EDT on ABC.
Yeah, we got that crap ('crap' in this case is defined as "anyone interrupting a show that I am watching or wish to watch with something that I don't care about"), too.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

ABC is airing a special report about Trump, which is preempting Jeopardy! for now on any ABC affiliate that airs the show at 7:30 PM Eastern.
EDIT: The special report ended up lasting that entire half hour.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ABC is airing the NBA draft on Thursday, June 22 from 5-8PT.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the pre-interview portion of the show yesterday because the Birmingham station was showing a plane land. (The guy who allegedly killed Natalie Holloway was arriving in town after being extradited from Peru).
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Nine markets are affected tomorrow and the next day (June 15 & 16) by early-round coverage of the 123rd U.S. Open Championship on NBC. (The tournament will be contested at Los Angeles Country Club; as is usual when golf majors are played on the west coast, the latter stages of each day's play is broadcast in the Eastern/Central primetime window.

The affected markets and the time to which J! is rescheduled (all given times local):
  • San Diego (KNSD); Palm Springs (KMIR) — 9:30 pm
  • Spokane (KHQ); Yakima, WA (KNDO); Santa Barbara, CA (KSBY); Monterey, CA (KSBW); Idaho Falls, ID (KPVI); Casper, WY (KCWY) — 9:00 pm
  • Chico-Redding, CA (KNVN) — 8:30 pm
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

No Jeopardy! in Cleveland tonight thanks to a tornado warning in Erie and Sandusky Counties. [Should "Counties" be capitalized in this instance? That question came up for me in archiving a clue recently.] The newscasters are spending as much time telling their viewers not to chase the tornado(s) as they are telling their viewers where the tornado(s) potentially are.

UPDATE: J! will air after The Late Late Show. https://www.cleveland19.com/2023/06/16/ ... 5-weather/
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:34 pm No Jeopardy! in Cleveland tonight thanks to a tornado warning in Erie and Sandusky Counties. [Should "Counties" be capitalized in this instance? That question came up for me in archiving a clue recently.]
The way you've written it, yes (but had you written it as " ... in the counties of Erie and Sandusky," then no).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:53 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:34 pm No Jeopardy! in Cleveland tonight thanks to a tornado warning in Erie and Sandusky Counties. [Should "Counties" be capitalized in this instance? That question came up for me in archiving a clue recently.]
The way you've written it, yes (but had you written it as " ... in the counties of Erie and Sandusky," then no).
Would you say it's necessary or merely permissible to capitalize the C in Robert's example?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:32 am
Would you say it's necessary or merely permissible to capitalize the C in Robert's example?
I would say necessary. If it was just one of the two, it would definitely be capitalized, so...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 pm
I would say necessary. If it was just one of the two, it would definitely be capitalized, so...
Makes sense. On the other hand, couldn't the same logic be applied to County of Erie and County of Sandusky? I think the JBoard needs a style guide.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:02 am Makes sense. On the other hand, couldn't the same logic be applied to County of Erie and County of Sandusky? I think the JBoard needs a style guide.
That's not a normal construct for mentioning a single county. Unless that's the actual name (in which case, yes, capitalize it), no one is going to say, "I live in the County of Erie."
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:02 am
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 pm
Makes sense. On the other hand, couldn't the same logic be applied to County of Erie and County of Sandusky? I think the JBoard needs a style guide.
Or we could consult ones that exist (if anyone has or is moved to take out a free trial to the AP Stylebook, that would be a useful opinion to have)
https://www.calstate.edu/csu-system/csu ... %20County).
Place Names
Political divisions (state, county, city, etc.) are capitalized when they follow the name or are an accepted part of the name. They are usually lowercased when they precede the name or stand alone (New York City, the city of Albany, the state of California, Los Angeles County). Lowercase plural combinations (Los Angeles and Orange counties). State and federal are lowercased unless they are part of the proper name.

But The Chicago Manual of Style-
A generic term that is capitalized as part of the name of an official body remains capitalized when it is used in the plural to refer to two or more names and applies to both.
Lake and Cook Counties
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Style guide wars are my favorite kind of wars.

The J! Archive style guide would be really complicated. In some cases, we have altogether different style rules for clues, responses, and dialogue.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:18 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:02 am Makes sense. On the other hand, couldn't the same logic be applied to County of Erie and County of Sandusky? I think the JBoard needs a style guide.
That's not a normal construct for mentioning a single county. Unless that's the actual name (in which case, yes, capitalize it), no one is going to say, "I live in the County of Erie."
True, but that sort of phrasing is very common in legislation and in official documents such as marriage certificates and property titles.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Bumping to remind You that FOX Markets may Preempt Jeopardy Tonight due to the MLB All Star game. Check Local Listings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:28 pm Bumping to remind You that FOX Markets may Preempt Jeopardy Tonight due to the MLB All Star game. Check Local Listings.
Don't know if it is just the West, but NBC is playing dirty (against Fox) by airing AGT at 5 Pacific.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:34 pm
AntmanB wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:28 pm Bumping to remind You that FOX Markets may Preempt Jeopardy Tonight due to the MLB All Star game. Check Local Listings.
Don't know if it is just the West, but NBC is playing dirty (against Fox) by airing AGT at 5 Pacific.

They arent gonna skip 2 weeks in a row lol. They Skipped last week due to the July 4th Holiday.