Wednesday, June 7, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Amused by Animorphs showing up after I mentioned them less than two weeks ago (with their last mention here seven and a half years ago)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:52 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:00 am I'm not going to blame the contestants for this one. The writing was just ... off. There were a lot of clues where I knew the answer, but it was just taking a beat or two longer because of the way the clue was phrased. There were a lot of clues where I was just, "Huh?" Alex was wrong -- it's not the contestants, and it wasn't him; the clue writers are the stars of the show. When they don't do their work right, the show suffers.

My Kosman Koin came up Croatia, so a rare Geo miss for me. It looks like Croatia misses touching it by maybe 10 miles. But Slovenia clearly has a much longer border anyway. Shoulda woulda coulda.
The questions in general seem to be oblique. It doesn’t help when they go in deep on bits of pop culture from the 90s or children’s literature that some people may not have any kind of life experience to associate with that stuff.
Agreed. There are several times each game where I have to pause and rewind just to parse the clue.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I've been on a month-long break, but heard about the 23 stumpers and wanted to take a look. Just a reflection on the casting lately? That's why I'm not watching these days.

But, yeah, the writing was awful. Gettable stuff lost in difficult-to-parse wording. Too many clues that seemed to be purchased product placement. I can't say I would have done any better on this board.