2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KellyJ!
Contributor
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:22 am

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by KellyJ! »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Wouldn't having two Pauls in the same game be an automatic no-no for the quarterfinals?
Yeah, they'd avoid that for as long as they could.
In other words, until the finals.

hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:44 am

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by hanzz »

Heh. I'd like to think I was somehow in the "We gave it our best shot" club.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by billiej »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: easier to read format:
Unless you're of a "certain age". Now where did I put my glas...

HEY!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

billiej wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote: easier to read format:
Unless you're of a "certain age". Now where did I put my glas...

HEY!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!
Heh.


The previous one was pretty bad because I had it all horizontal.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by aggiebud »

Seeing my name up there in potential matchups makes this just a little more real for me, for some reason...

Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Narragansett, RI

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Glassysquid »

Took the words right out of my mouth. It'll be a fierce competition this year, lots of good players. Seeing potential QF matches with my name in the running with all these great players is both terrifying and super awesome.
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.

User avatar
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Seeing as how I am a large "Tourney" fan (as I call it), I couldn't help reading (or looking for) this thread. I made my own WordPad ToC chart before I came here. Haha. These charts are so much better. Normally, I'd post who I'm rooting for...but it hasn't even taken place yet. I was really hoping Mark could be in this next Tournament, so I was pleased when I read this thread. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that Anthony (supposedly) won't be making the Tournament. I wanted to see how he would fare (fair?)! Oh, well. Not to sound mean-spirited, but I wish that no one else would win four or more days between now and the Tournament so that everyone who is in the "running" in it could make it. Hang in there, Mr. Wampler!

Too many parentheses?

User avatar
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm
Location: Brunswick, OH
Contact:

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by barandall800 »

TheGrandPiano wrote: Too many parentheses?
One can never have enough parentheses... :)

(Frequent parentheses user here.)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Google Docs I uploaded a spreadsheet with the TOC field as of the end of the season: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... c&hl=en_US

I don't know when the TOC is taping, but just so I'm on the record before then, my preliminary groupings are:

Gold: Roger Craig, Tom Nissley, Tom Kunzen, Jay Rhee, Mark Runsvold

Silver: Buddy Wright, Paul Kursky, Kara Spak, Christopher Short, Charles Temple

Bronze: John Krizel, Erin McLean, Paul Wampler, Sara Heard, Brian Meacham

I tried pasting the spreadsheet in this post, but it was a mess without the lines separating the sections.

User avatar
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I would put Sara Heard higher. She impressed me with some of her gets, and I think she'll do well with TOC-level clues.

Tom Kunzen actually got 4/6 of his FJs correct, now that TPTB determined they should have accepted "sari" in his last game.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I would put Sara Heard higher. She impressed me with some of her gets, and I think she'll do well with TOC-level clues.

Tom Kunzen actually got 4/6 of his FJs correct, now that TPTB determined they should have accepted "sari" in his last game.
Thanks for the reminder about Tom's extra correct on the FJ clue. That has been changed. As for Sara we'll see (or for all we know, won't see depending on how the field shakes out) how wrong I am.

Buddy Wright, Paul Kursky, Kara Spak, Christopher Short, Charles Temple

Would you care to pick one of the above for bronze if Sara is indeed silver? It's a hunch on my part that Kara will do okay in the tourney. I think she has a pocket of knowledge that won't necessarily overlap with her opponents and she will be able get her share of clues in. Her tally in the wrong column is the highest of the field, so she has to avoid being too trigger happy.

Buddy has had a long time to get ready. I flirted with putting Paul in Gold. Charles has not proven himself in regular play or material yet, but he did well enough in his tourney to get the benefit of the doubt. Christopher is one who could have a case for Gold, but I could not bump the five I picked over him for that section.

I may have Sara in Bronze, but in no way do I consider her there in the same degree of Lisa Klink & Deborah Fitzgerald.

The toughest player for me to place was John Krizel. He led his first four games and lost in his 5th game to 3xer Alison. John could prove me quite wrong for putting him in the Bronze portion of my listings.

As always with the TOC there will be surprises with some doing better than expected and others not quite having things go as planned. It's fun to imagine 3 of my 5 Goldies in the Finals, but I don't expect it to happen.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote: I may have Sara in Bronze, but in no way do I consider her there in the same degree of Lisa Klink & Deborah Fitzgerald.
Lisa was pretty dominant in her games. That class of 2009 was a tough bunch.

Regarding the current field for the next ToC, I have Christopher Short in gold in place of Jay Rhee. If the ToC was on regular show boards then I would probably have Jay ranked third overall in the field, but I don't see him making the transition to ToC material as well as the other gold groupers. Plus, my gut is telling me that Christopher will be very well prepared.

Paul Wampler and Sara Heard more than likely will not qualify, but I would move them up to silver and put Kara Spak and Paul Kursky in bronze. I would also put John Krizel and Brian Meacham in silver ahead of Kara S. and Paul K. Brian and John should do well on ToC material. That is an interesting point about Kara having a different knowledge base than the others but I don't see it being enough.

For that last spot in gold I am tempted to give it to Charles Temple, but I just can't justify it given how much easier his boards were than regular show boards. He is another one who I imagine will be well prepared, though.

Along with Christopher, Roger, and Charles, I think that Tom Kunzen will also be very well prepared. I didn't think that Kunzen's competition in his regular games was as good as the other gold groupers', but I don't see it mattering too much.

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:25 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Area

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by NJCondon »

I'm not actually sure I'd place Jay Rhee in the top grouping (purely a gut feeling, but I didn't perceive him as quite as strong as the other four), but I don't know who else I'd put in his place; there seems to be a bit of distance between the top four and the rest of the field. Perhaps a case could be made for Christopher Short: His games were very odd in a lot of ways, making it hard to get a read on him (or take much information away from his total winnings), and his preparation is likely to be stellar. Plus, as he's fond of saying himself, he's "scrappy." It would be kind of amusing if his luck (both good and bad) continues into the ToC and he wins the whole thing while going 0/4 in FJ!...

It's so hard to make predictions about individual Jeopardy! tournaments, though, especially based on the statistically-insignificant sample of regular-season games we've seen them all play. We've never seem most of these folks up against ToC-level competitors, who are going to be a lot stronger on the buzzer and able to answer a larger fraction of the questions than rank and file players, and single-elimination (and single-elimination-esque) tournaments are notoriously unpredictable. To take a local example, who would have thought that our own Rex Kramer would beat Dave Madden in dominating fashion (other than Rex himself, perhaps), only to get kicked around by a couple of three-timers and miss an FJ! on legal terms?

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by StevenH »

NJCondon wrote:I'm not actually sure I'd place Jay Rhee in the top grouping (purely a gut feeling, but I didn't perceive him as quite as strong as the other four), but I don't know who else I'd put in his place; there seems to be a bit of distance between the top four and the rest of the field. Perhaps a case could be made for Christopher Short: His games were very odd in a lot of ways, making it hard to get a read on him (or take much information away from his total winnings), and his preparation is likely to be stellar.
I should add that if Justin Sausville, the current champion, qualifies for the tournament I will probably give him Christopher Short's spot in my gold ranking. Justin has impressed me and if he keeps it up he will be gold.

User avatar
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Buddy Wright, Paul Kursky, Kara Spak, Christopher Short, Charles Temple

Would you care to pick one of the above for bronze if Sara is indeed silver? ...Buddy has had a long time to get ready.
I guess I would drop Buddy down to bronze. I don't think having a long time to get ready will really matter in the end.

It is a really strong field already. I expect the games will be decided on very slim margins.

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

StevenH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote: I may have Sara in Bronze, but in no way do I consider her there in the same degree of Lisa Klink & Deborah Fitzgerald.
Lisa was pretty dominant in her games. That class of 2009 was a tough bunch.

Regarding the current field for the next ToC, I have Christopher Short in gold in place of Jay Rhee. If the ToC was on regular show boards then I would probably have Jay ranked third overall in the field, but I don't see him making the transition to ToC material as well as the other gold groupers. Plus, my gut is telling me that Christopher will be very well prepared.

Paul Wampler and Sara Heard more than likely will not qualify, but I would move them up to silver and put Kara Spak and Paul Kursky in bronze. I would also put John Krizel and Brian Meacham in silver ahead of Kara S. and Paul K. Brian and John should do well on ToC material. That is an interesting point about Kara having a different knowledge base than the others but I don't see it being enough.

For that last spot in gold I am tempted to give it to Charles Temple, but I just can't justify it given how much easier his boards were than regular show boards. He is another one who I imagine will be well prepared, though.

Along with Christopher, Roger, and Charles, I think that Tom Kunzen will also be very well prepared. I didn't think that Kunzen's competition in his regular games was as good as the other gold groupers', but I don't see it mattering too much.
Since my first post met the Big Green Post-Eating Machine,

I have Christopher Short and Jay Rhee in the silver. I also have Christopher slated as the Underdog (a position previously held by me for Anthony Fox, but the minute Paul Wampler is knocked out, any chance of that will head to 0%). I know you have Paul Kursky in that demoted to Bronze, but personally from watching, he's got the gold position in my book. Pardoning the 6/18/10 episode and the loss to Joey Generaux, Paul didn't do that bad during his ones, powerful lock on one of his games.

For me:

GOLD - Roger Craig (#1 Seed), Tom Nissley, Tom Kunzen, Mark Runsvold, and Paul Kursky
SILVER - Christopher Short (U), Jay Rhee, Brian Meacham, Kara Spak, John Krizel
BRONZE - Sara Heard, Paul Wampler, Erin McLean, Charles Temple*, Buddy Wright

*Honestly, its very hard to get an idea how a Teachers Tournament champ will do since this is a first time. Future ToCs will make this much easier.

Now that's if the Tournament was held tomorrow, which its not. However, I know a friend of Justin Sausville's and am rather impressed with Justin's results for his first 2 games. At the least, if he makes the ToC, he has a Silver in my book. I find it unfortunate that Linda lost on her 4th game, because she was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

-[EDIT at 7:55 AM] Based on a PM I got from Paul Wampler this morning, it caught my eye that I made a typo that could jeopardize his status. I wrote Justin's result, vaguely referencing his 2 aired games. I sincerely apologize if something was wrong, but I have clarified this.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by StevenH »

I apologize if this has already been posted, but it is the first I have heard: it looks like the ToC will air Nov 2-15:

http://www.jeopardy.com/news/season28.php

Does that mean the tape date would be early or mid October?

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

StevenH wrote:I apologize if this has already been posted, but it is the first I have heard: it looks like the ToC will air Nov 2-15:

http://www.jeopardy.com/news/season28.php

Does that mean the tape date would be early or mid October?
Paul needs to sweat it out at least several weeks. I remember Stefan saying it would wait a few tapings into Season 28 back on the Sony board.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 am

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by Frank Hardy »

I thought I read somewhere that the ToC tape date was in September. That's nice and vague, isn't it?

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: 2010-11 Tournament of Champions Standings (spoilers)

Post by chuck5982 »

Weekend bump.

Post Reply