audition advice

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

audition advice

Post by earendel »

On September 7 I'll be in Chicago for a J! audition. I've been several times before so I know pretty much what to expect. My question is this: to beard or not to beard? The number of J! contestants with beards is a small number of the total and I'm wondering if it would be better for me to shave my beard (which I've worn for many years) or leave it as is. FTR I'm 60 years old, so I have one strike against me already.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: audition advice

Post by Case »

One of the best contestants (in my opinion) during my taping was Peter, who was probably around your age. I'd like to think that's not a strike against you! And they've had plenty of bearded contestants on the show, anyway. And look at Stephen Goodreau, who changed his look every time he was on the show--didn't seem to hurt him any. Although I don't recall facial hair on any of his looks, but my point is that he changed things up all the time.

Personally, I think sometimes beards can make a guy seem like a wild-eyed prophet fresh from the wilderness. Or very handsome and sexy. It's just part of the entire appearance. Sic et non, amigo. All that being said, don't beard. ;)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

earendel wrote:On September 7 I'll be in Chicago for a J! audition. I've been several times before so I know pretty much what to expect. My question is this: to beard or not to beard? The number of J! contestants with beards is a small number of the total and I'm wondering if it would be better for me to shave my beard (which I've worn for many years) or leave it as is. FTR I'm 60 years old, so I have one strike against me already.
On its own, I'm not sure whether a beard works either for or against you in most cases. There are surely many more important things. But offhand, I can see "to beard or not to beard" being an issue in two ways:
- if you shave it shortly before the interview, you might feel self-conscious about being beardless, possibly even on a subconscious level, which may affect your audition performance.
- do you have a sense of whether you look "more professional" with or without? If you project a good look and sense about yourself with the beard, then I probably wouldn't sweat it.

Using the beard issue to make this point might be a bit of a stretch, but if you suddenly try to be somebody that you're not at the audition, then you will almost surely fail.

But definitely keep it neat and trim if you keep it.

btw, I was 53 with a beard at my last audition and got the call.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

earendel wrote:On September 7 I'll be in Chicago for a J! audition. I've been several times before so I know pretty much what to expect. My question is this: to beard or not to beard? The number of J! contestants with beards is a small number of the total and I'm wondering if it would be better for me to shave my beard (which I've worn for many years) or leave it as is. FTR I'm 60 years old, so I have one strike against me already.
If you have tried out several times with the beard, then try one without it. I think it was Stephen King who would only wear a beard in the winter? Or is Labor Day a cut off for beard/no beard? No, that's wearing something else.

Have you been on any other game shows? If so, what was your look for getting past the audition process?

I don't the age thing should be counted as a strike. Show you have your marbles and game skills in the mock play and that is what counts.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Case wrote:One of the best contestants (in my opinion) during my taping was Peter, who was probably around your age.
Would that mean Peter Wiscombe, who was the champion when seaborgium began his 6-day run?
Case also wrote: And look at Stephen Goodreau, who changed his look every time he was on the show--didn't seem to hurt him any. Although I don't recall facial hair on any of his looks, but my point is that he changed things up all the time.
Um, seaborgium's not going to be very happy you spelled his name wrong.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I don't think it will make the slightest difference, but I will vote for no beard, simply because I usually think clean-shaven men look better. That way, if you get the call, there will be more (better) eye-candy for me!

Or, treat it like a "play-off beard". Vow not to shave until you get on the show.
Last edited by immaf on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teems with quiet fun.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Beard didn't hurt me.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I am not hirsute, and I haven't gotten The Call. Q.E.D. :mrgreen:

And maybe I should go all ZZ Top for my next audition . . . :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Beard didn't hurt me.
Yeah, and neither did your appearance as a spoiler sans facial hair that you also wore on Jeopardy (on Merv Griffin's Crosswords.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ahirbhairav wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Beard didn't hurt me.
Yeah, and neither did your appearance as a spoiler sans facial hair that you also wore on Jeopardy (on Merv Griffin's Crosswords.)
What the hell are you talking about?
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

It says on the archive that you appeared (sans facial hair) as a spoiler on Merv Griffin's Crosswords in 2007.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ahirbhairav wrote:It says on the archive that you appeared (sans facial hair) as a spoiler on Merv Griffin's Crosswords in 2007.
But what does that have to do with anything? I mean, why did you bother to post it? What does it contribute?
earendel

Post by earendel »

MarkBarrett wrote:
If you have tried out several times with the beard, then try one without it. I think it was Stephen King who would only wear a beard in the winter? Or is Labor Day a cut off for beard/no beard? No, that's wearing something else.

Have you been on any other game shows? If so, what was your look for getting past the audition process?

I don't the age thing should be counted as a strike. Show you have your marbles and game skills in the mock play and that is what counts.
I've worn a beard for every other J! audition I've attended (8 in 12 years). I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? but it was in the days of the Phone Game, when no one knew what I looked like before I showed up in NYC. I wore my beard then.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:But what does that have to do with anything? I mean, why did you bother to post it? What does it contribute?
he's an overenthusiastic kid. you might as well ask why a bear s***s in the woods.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Thanks for the clarification, Joon. I still am recovering from the shock that I am actually interacting with my idols: the Jeopardy! Champions. That's why.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

earendel wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

I've worn a beard for every other J! audition I've attended (8 in 12 years). I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? but it was in the days of the Phone Game, when no one knew what I looked like before I showed up in NYC. I wore my beard then.
Personally I always like beards on men. But I'm not making the decision. I'd say if you decide to make a change, don't go for full clean-shaven (because you're not accustomed to it.) If you decide you need something more conservative looking, I'd say maybe a goatee, or just a close-trimmed full beard. But make the change soon so you have a chance to get used to it somewhat in the next couple weeks. And then let it go. I really think it's more about your actions than your looks. I had three auditions before getting the call, and I think I may have worn exactly the same thing at the first and third, and I definitely had more unruly, scraggly hair at the last one (because I procrastinated too long to get a haircut). But I was more comfortable at the last, and I had the opportunity to have memorable chitchat with both Maggie and Robert, where at the first two I was just another name on the list.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: audition adved

Post by seaborgium »

ahirbhairav wrote:
Case wrote:One of the best contestants (in my opinion) during my taping was Peter, who was probably around your age.
Would that mean Peter Wiscombe, who was the champion when seaborgium began his 6-day run?
Peter definitely didn't (and doesn't) look 60ish. Why jump to conclusions on a first name and a mention in proximity to my name?
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Sorry for the offensive post. Anyways, I looked you up and realized it was..oh,man. Too many results. Can you tell me which season you played in?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

When it comes to the beard, I'd say the best route is to go with whatever you feel the most comfortable in. Of course, do make sure that if you choose to be hirsute, that you are neat and trimmed. Alternatively, if you want to split the difference, you could go with that stubbly look that celebrities have been rocking lately. Just make sure that if you do this to dress up extra nice so they know you did it on purpose and didn't just roll out of bed.

/Wishing that I could grow a beard that wasn't patchy and terrible.