SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by NoName84 »

I also just said "Smacks." Those cereals definitely fall into what Dave Barry would call "adjacent to this complete breakfast" or what I would call "cereals I was never allowed to have growing up."
billiej

Post by billiej »

That certainly brought back a sugar rush of childhood memories. Who knew "cereal" could be a wheelhouse?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Andromus wrote:I trust Sugar Smacks will be acceptable instead of instead of Honey Smacks? I knew the cereal as Sugar Smacks growing up, and had no idea it had undergone so many name changes.
I would hope so. It's essentially the same product today as what I got hyped up on as a child, back when Quick Draw McGraw was on the front of the box. The cereal has also been called simply "Smacks," which is how I answered.
Smack, smack, sugar smack. Give me a smack and I'll smack you back.

(Incidentally, one of the answers I can thank Family Guy for...cause I haven't thanked them in a while :D (When Mayor West buys the solid gold Dig'Em statue.)))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Sugar or Honey Smacks are acceptable answers.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I never could keep frogs straight from bears.
I'm smart and I want respect.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

sherder wrote:Sugar or Honey Smacks are acceptable answers.
What about just "Smacks"?
jbillygirl
Valued Contributor

Post by jbillygirl »

I wish I'd known a past name would be acceptable, or I'd have answered with one. Oh well, them's the breaks. I'm probably the only one who thought that way.

ETA: I basically agree that both names (or all three, including Smacks?) should be acceptable.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Fans of Family Guy would also tend to call it "Sugar Smacks" (as that's how Adam West referred to the cereal when he built a giant statue of its mascot).

And, holy trivia, Batman (the Adam West ref was a coincidence, I assure you), but I think I got a perfecto today! (Perfecto = one round with perfect answers, right? If it means both rounds perfect, will the board indulge me in this feeling of euphoria, because there's no hope in hell I'm getting both right in any given day!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

StevenH wrote:
What about just "Smacks"?
I'll run it by DoT, but I would lean toward accepting it. He just gave me Honey/Sugar Smacks for answers.
alamble

Post by alamble »

I wasn't sure which name it was going by these days, and clammed it as a result. Damn.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Lefty wrote:I never could keep frogs straight from bears.
me too. Luckily I clammed in the end.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

bengland wrote:
I was about to answer "Sugar Crisp" (ie. the bear one) as well, rather than "Sugar Smacks". A little research tells me there seems to be little difference between them: both are sugar coated puffed wheat, one from Post and the other Kellogg's.

Has anyone ever had the hypoglycemic urge to do a blind taste test?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

boson wrote:
bengland wrote:
I was about to answer "Sugar Crisp" (ie. the bear one) as well, rather than "Sugar Smacks". A little research tells me there seems to be little difference between them: both are sugar coated puffed wheat, one from Post and the other Kellogg's.

I'll volunteer. :)
billiej

Post by billiej »

boson wrote:
bengland wrote:

My young taste buds preferred Super Sugar Crisp - that's right, back in my day not only did we eat a lot of sugar, we were damned proud of it!! None of this, uh, sugar-coating the name.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
NJCondon wrote:My knowledge of the history of that period was gleaned mostly from reading Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and, fortunately, my memory served me correctly as to who was king in 1687.

Nice board today. After my performance the last two weeks, I was pleased to start on a reasonably high note.
Are those books worthwhile, Nick?
They seem to be well-received books, but I just couldn't get into them. I started to read the first novel, Quicksilver, but couldn't finish it. There's something about his style of writing that -- to me, at least -- almost makes it a chore to continue.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Junk food has always been my worst category and will probably always be. Not only did I not grow up in the US, but I've practically never eaten sugary, non-whole-grain cereal (frosted Shredded Wheat is probably the most sugary I go), and it is almost the same with my children. My older son did have a brief Fruit Loops phase and I learned of Count Chocula watching Jeopardy! - otherwise I might have clammed the whole category.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

billiej wrote:
My young taste buds preferred Super Sugar Crisp - that's right, back in my day not only did we eat a lot of sugar, we were damned proud of it!! None of this, uh, sugar-coating the name.
Yup, and I even remember the jingle that accompanied their commercials ("Can't get enough of Super Sugar Crisp... they keep me going strong") Of course, courtesy of Youtube, all this ephemera has been preserved for better or worse.
Woof

Post by Woof »

billiej wrote:
Yup, and I even remember the jingle that accompanied their commercials ("Can't get enough of Super Sugar Crisp... they keep me going strong") Of course, courtesy of Youtube, all this ephemera has been preserved for better or worse.
Asphodel
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Asphodel »

"Sugar Smacks" also went through my mind briefly, but I ended up clamming because I thought that name sounded too goofy to be a real cereal. I mean, really, "sugar" right in the product name? (I can definitely see why they changed it.) I was actually thinking that Sugar Smacks might be the name of the made-up cereal in Calvin & Hobbes (which turns out to be even sillier--Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs!)
Woof

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:Junk food has always been my worst category and will probably always be. Not only did I not grow up in the US, but I've practically never eaten sugary, non-whole-grain cereal (frosted Shredded Wheat is probably the most sugary I go), and it is almost the same with my children. My older son did have a brief Fruit Loops phase and I learned of Count Chocula watching Jeopardy! - otherwise I might have clammed the whole category.
As I've said before, it's amazing to me how much of dated American pop culture you do know under the circumstances, but here's an example where it's the commercials rather than the programming that you were being quizzed on and, thankfully, American commercials weren't exported with the same vigor that the programming was.