J!-Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J!-Archive

Post by kingskip »

doogie wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Yes, I'm an Archivist-at-Large for the site. I pester people I find on other message boards who've been on the show to send me tapes. Most people are happy to send a tape along.

-Myron
MinnesotaMyron, is there some way I can get myself listed on the J Archive? I was on the show in 1996 for three days and submitted a DVD of these some years back to one of the founding archivists and never heard back from him on it. If you can message me separately with an address, I'd be happy to mail it on to you within the next few weeks (traveling currently). The J Archive doesn't seem to provide any way of currently reaching its archivists...

Thanks so much.
I'm curious to know, what days were you on Jeopardy in 1996? Was it in Season 12 or 13? I am a game show trader and I was wondering if you could possibly mail me a DVD of your games to add to my collection.

I am also wondering how I could become and archivist. I am interested in doing that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The lettering in the B and e in the names from the 1985 game I posted look differant.

Another thing I noticed is that in the Bruce game, Johnny did not announce how many games the champ had won and the names did not appear on screen during the introductions. I had to listen to the interviews to be fairly certain I got their names' correct.

Alex seemed a lot more chatty in that game than he is now. also, the audience seemed to clap more often. Did the producers tell them to knock this off after some point?

I ran across an unarchived game on youtube from 2/2/1987. Would you like me to post the link here? I don't have much of a life, so I'd be willing to archive youtube games if you trust me with the keys.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Steve Rogitz's game 2 has been uploaded to Youtube. It's apparently recorded from an original airing (the uploader says it's from a Betamax tape!), and the half-hour is presented in its entirety. (There seems to be just one date-specific item among the commercials: Regis Philbin saying Joe Namath will be on WABC's local morning news show the next day. Less specific is the text "Offer ends April 1, 1985" at the end of one commercial.) Steve's competitors are Lonny Gulden (who has an online presence) and Lt. Debbi Holzinger (I think I've got her last name right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERs1sMK6c6Y

Steve's 5-day total is the second lowest among those that cleared $30,000, but he gets over $25,000 in his first two games. (When his Super Jeopardy episode was on Youtube, the flashback reel of his run showed he won his fifth game with $800.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:I ran across an unarchived game on youtube from 2/2/1987. Would you like me to post the link here?
Go ahead and post any links you find. I've got a serious backlog going on right now, but one of these days I'll get caught up.

Thanks again.

-M
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I was working on the TOC stats earlier I noticed the 6/28/11 game was not completed in the archive. Are there many like that from this season or does that game have some kind of problem? I can't recall what may have been mentioned through the archivists hotline.

Rogitz's TOC QF aired on Thursday, so that would put him as the 10th - 12th 5xer of the season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I ran across an unarchived game on youtube from 2/2/1987. Would you like me to post the link here?
Go ahead and post any links you find. I've got a serious backlog going on right now, but one of these days I'll get caught up.

Thanks again.

-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0NKs-o6ISU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNso7a8q ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-u_vDz ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E2tDXNg ... re=related

Here you go.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:When I was working on the TOC stats earlier I noticed the 6/28/11 game was not completed in the archive. Are there many like that from this season or does that game have some kind of problem? I can't recall what may have been mentioned through the archivists hotline.
I think it may have just gotten lost in the shuffle. The Wed July 6 game is also only 3/4 entered (probably due to the holiday week). Are there any other games from the most recent season that need completing?1

-M
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Here's one question I have about the site -- how come they only mention what game it is for contestants if they've won 5 or more games? It's not like it's still true that all 5Xers are guaranteed in the TOC, since if there are 15 or more 6+Xers, CC, or Teachers Tournament winners combined, 5Xers aren't in the TOC. I mean, even though of course chances are very slim (no more than .0000000000000000000000000000001% chance), it's technically possible that Roger Craig and Tom Nissley and won't even be in the TOC!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Nicky wrote:Here's one question I have about the site -- how come they only mention what game it is for contestants if they've won 5 or more games?
Robert KS used those special parts to make his robot friends.

La la la.

-M
Not an official spokesman.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Nicky wrote:Here's one question I have about the site -- how come they only mention what game it is for contestants if they've won 5 or more games?
Cause you gotta have the cutoff somewhere? And making said cutoff the magic "5" number (remembering that when the show started "5 games" was indeed a magic number) is as good a place as any?

-dhk
Not an official (or authorized) answer
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

All ToC participants whose initial appearances were in regular games have their games labeled and numbered, not just 5xers or better.

A few non-ToC players have their games numbered because (I assume) they're considered significant figures in the game show community. Randy Amasia, Dan Avila, and Karl Coryat each have labeled games (I think they're the only ones, and I'm not counting Ken Jennings). I suppose five wins is significant enough on its own for the Archivists, regardless of ToC participation.

Other non-ToC players I can imagine getting their games labeled: Rocky Schmidt and the so-called Barbara Lowe.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:Other non-ToC players I can imagine getting their games labeled: Rocky Schmidt and the so-called Barbara Lowe.
Barbara Lowe was a 5-timer, so I assume she'd get the label. Those games are one of my current "holy grails".

-M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Who was Rocky Schmidt? He/she is not in the archive.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Bamaman wrote:Who was Rocky Schmidt?
He's currently one of the show's supervising producers.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote:
One of the show's supervising producers.
He's one of the few contestants (and arguably the most successful one) to go from the show to the staff.

Video exists of one of his shows on the video sharing sites. It's of the the "mystery dates" (ha!) that has just recently been solved.

-M
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

There are some games with Rocky Schmidt on the Daily Motion that pop up in Google. The video quality is terrible but the audio is just fine, and could be transcribed.

eta: oops, looks like you slipped in there and posted before me. n/m.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
One of the show's supervising producers.
He's one of the few contestants (and arguably the most successful one) to go from the show to the staff.

Video exists of one of his shows on the video sharing sites. It's of the the "mystery dates" (ha!) that has just recently been solved.

-M
This guy would indeed have an argument: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5558

Under Researchers: http://www.jeopardy.com/showguide/about ... oncredits/
BobF

Post by BobF »

I think j-archive has been hacked. I can get to any page where I know the URL (ie the season 27 page), but if I go to the home page, it's basically spam.

Also, when will DJ! for July 22nd be up?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BobF wrote:I think j-archive has been hacked. I can get to any page where I know the URL (ie the season 27 page), but if I go to the home page, it's basically spam.
I see no issues anywhere on the site.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

BobF wrote:I think j-archive has been hacked. I can get to any page where I know the URL (ie the season 27 page), but if I go to the home page, it's basically spam.
I don't see a problem either.
Also, when will DJ! for July 22nd be up?
Sooner rather than later; thanks for pointing it out. I finished that Kid's week game that needed to be done this morning, I'll add this one to my list.

-M