SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 3 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote:I am kicking myself for the Verdi question. Rigoletto was my first instinct, then I thought of Falstaff but stuck with Rigoletto because it seemed more likely to be valued at 9 points. I can't help but wonder if that "your first instinct is usually correct" thing is a lie.

I thought I had a perfecto sans the 8-point hockey question so I considered guessing at it but I decided not to, and it's a good think that I didn't because I was going to go with Brett Hull, and Bobby Orr was my second guess. Count me as another who thought Gretzky seemed too obvious.
First guess is usually correct, which makes the times it does backfire notable. We tend to emotionally point out times we (a) should have stuck with our first guess or (b) wisely changed our first guess but rarely mention staying with our first guess unless we're describing our thought process. (Least, that's my experience with it.)

I thought Gretzky first, knowing Gretzky was right, but also knowing the guy who owns the Penguins was the other, so I decided going for the clever answer...then mucked up the name. (I knew there was an M in there somewhere!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

The "one of two" was a last-second edit on the question about Lemieux. I guessed that "rhymes with Heisman" was easier than Mario Lemieux, but maybe should have switched them when I found Gretzky as a correct answer. We'll see how it plays out.

BTW, as a writer it is flattering to see people taking clue value as a hint on difficulty. I haven't always been as good at guessing what other people know.

ETA: There is an announcement at the top of the R3D3 thread about scheduling.
Last edited by DadofTwins on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pres de lys
Contributor

Post by pres de lys »

DadofTwins wrote:The "one of two" was a last-second edit on the question about Lemieux. I guessed that "rhymes with Heisman" was easier than Mario Lemieux, but maybe should have switched them when I found Gretzky as a correct answer.
Yeah, including "rhymes with Heisman" made that incredibly easy, even for someone who wasn't alive to see that season. I didn't remember Lemieux until looking at this thread. He should have been obvious to me.

Also, I love a good opera category. I saw a production of Falstaff a few years ago; it was very funny and I could tell it was based on The Merry Wives of Windsor. As far as the clue goes, "title character" directed away from Rigoletto, which was my first guess.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

DadofTwins wrote:BTW, as a writer it is flattering to see people taking clue value as a hint on difficulty. I haven't always been as good at guessing what other people know.
That's understandable. The writers on the show don't always order the clues in the best difficulty.

And I knew that Merry Wives of Windsor was one one of the plays that Falstaff appears in, and I thought that that might have been a hint, but I still stuck with Rigoletto. It's my own fault that I missed it.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Well, rats, I guessed Dan Jansen, remembering the story about his sister's illness and untimely death ... intuiting that perhaps that might have inspired him to become a physician after he was done with skating. I was just off by, oh, more than a decade ...
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

sherder wrote:
StevenH wrote:
sherder wrote:Sugar or Honey Smacks are acceptable answers.
What about just "Smacks"?
"Smacks" is good.
I like a scorer who does her own taste testing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

DadofTwins wrote:ATHLETES OF THE 80s
"Great. There's not much that I can do worse at than this category ...
DadofTwins wrote:OPERA
"Except that. DAMN!"

Given that, I did surprisingly well on the sports one, after easily getting the 2 pointer (and understanding why it was so easily placed), knowing the story behind Theisman's name (despite not knowing his first name or the spelling of his last name, I hope the scorers are lenient), and Gretzky being a no-brainer, as everyone knows he's a high scorer (Understatement of the Year nominee) and I figured his ownership of the (hated) Phoenix Coyotes must be pretty well-known for me to know that. I think the question would have been tougher (and more suited for 8 points) were we asked to name both (I'd clam if that was the case).

I know a bit about opera, and even enjoy listening to many of them, but it's not something that I know a lot about, as evidenced by my dismal showing. (To SHC's credit, I'm sure that J!'s opera questions are way easier, as it's not unusual for me to get 2/5 in a J! Opera category.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

DadofTwins wrote:ETA: There is an announcement at the top of the R3D3 thread about scheduling.
Could someone take over for a few days?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Uh, Mario Lemieux is the proper hockey answer....right? Gretzky only owned 10% of the Yotes, but was the head coach.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
saintanthony
Jeopardy 2008-B Teen Tournament

Post by saintanthony »

Have any comments been made on the Fledermaus author getting mixed up in the clue yet?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:ETA: There is an announcement at the top of the R3D3 thread about scheduling.
Could someone take over for a few days?
Not unless he's sent the questions off to someone else, which doesn't seem likely.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

saintanthony wrote:Have any comments been made on the Fledermaus author getting mixed up in the clue yet?
What do you mean? It is a Strauss opera, just as the clue states.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

dhkendall wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:ATHLETES OF THE 80s
"Great. There's not much that I can do worse at than this category ...
DadofTwins wrote:OPERA
"Except that. DAMN!"

Given that, I did surprisingly well on the sports one, after easily getting the 2 pointer (and understanding why it was so easily placed), knowing the story behind Theisman's name (despite not knowing his first name or the spelling of his last name, I hope the scorers are lenient), and Gretzky being a no-brainer, as everyone knows he's a high scorer (Understatement of the Year nominee) and I figured his ownership of the (hated) Phoenix Coyotes must be pretty well-known for me to know that. I think the question would have been tougher (and more suited for 8 points) were we asked to name both (I'd clam if that was the case).
I felt the same way when I saw the two categories, though I did better in Opera than I thought I would (of course, getting even one right would have qualified as "better than I thought I would" :))...also, the 15-pointer was driving me CRAZY, because "Lucia di Lammermoor" sounded incredibly familiar, but I just couldn't place the name. And ugh, I wish I could have remembered Eric Heiden's name. It was on the tip of my brain. The reason I created this message, though, is...

WHO SAYS THE COYOTES ARE HATED?!?!?

( :D You know where I'm from, so you can guess how I feel about them. And I know where you're from, so...yeah. Though I hope we all agree that Gretzky was a pretty lousy owner...)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

RTFQ......Put down Figaro instead of the name of the opera.

As a child, I had a cat named Figaro.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

econgator wrote:
saintanthony wrote:Have any comments been made on the Fledermaus author getting mixed up in the clue yet?
SaintAnthony must be confused over which Strauss it is. Die Fledermaus was composed by Johann, but Richard is more famous for his operas than Johann is. It tripped me up a little at first, I had to read the clue a second time.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Bamaman wrote:As a child, I had a cat named Figaro.
I don't believe it. Let's see if your nose grew.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I believe Die Fledermaus is usually considered an operetta, but I'm not complaining.

Also, I never understood why its title is never translated to English. What is the source of the Anglophone Germanotranslatophobia? Of course, if it were normally translated, the clue would have belonged in Stupid Answers.
alamble

Post by alamble »

mennoknight wrote:Uh, Mario Lemieux is the proper hockey answer....right? Gretzky only owned 10% of the Yotes, but was the head coach.
Gretz was a member of the Coyotes' ownership group - Mario isn't the sole owner of the Pens either, he's the majority investor and was at one point President and CEO. The clue was vague enough that both answers are correct.
saintanthony
Jeopardy 2008-B Teen Tournament

Post by saintanthony »

econgator wrote:
Ooops! I misread Strauss as Wagner. This is why Drew shouldn't be SHCing at night.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

gnash wrote:I believe Die Fledermaus is usually considered an operetta, but I'm not complaining.

Also, I never understood why its title is never translated to English. What is the source of the Anglophone Germanotranslatophobia? Of course, if it were normally translated, the clue would have belonged in Stupid Answers.
I dunno, anecdotally I think I see/hear "Twilight of the Gods" more than "Götterdämmerung".
Edit: Also, The Flying Dutchman. (Der fliegende Holländer)

Anyway, "Die Fledermaus" just rocks as a title. Say it. Now, say it in angry stereotypical faux-German. ISN'T THAT AWESOME?! The weenie title of "The Bat" simply pales in comparison.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)