Wednesday, September 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6443, 2012-09-26

CONTESTANTS
Sheri Boysen, a stay-at-home mom from Houston, Texas
Mike Malaier, an attorney from Tacoma, Washington
David Schuman, a communications and economics student originally from Ardsley, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $4,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Yesterday's show was a perfect example of how important wagering is in Final Jeopardy! None of the players was able to come up with the correct response, but David, who went into the Final in second place, had the most money at the end. Not much money--$4,300. But he would like to add to that today. But, uh, Mike and Sheri would like to go home with a lot of cash also. Let's see how it works out. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round, and here come the categories. First...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE POLITICAL ARENA (4/4)
CLEAN OUT YOUR CLOSET (5/5)
MUSEUMS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT YEAR WAS THAT? (3/4)
THE NON -ED PAST PARTICIPLE (3/3)
BIG CHECKS (5/5) (Alex: ...which you're hoping to receive at the end of the show.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sheri: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Mike: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
David: 8 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sheri: $2,600
David: $2,600
Mike: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There are certain mundane chores that can be very soothing. They help you relax. Sheri Boysen enjoys mowing the lawn. Am I right?

Sheri: Yes, sir. I--

Alex: But there's a difference with your place?

Sheri: Oh. Nine acres.

Alex: Nine acres?

Sheri: Takes a while.

Alex: Now hopefully, you have one of those sit-on-'em mowers?

Sheri: No, sir. It's all push mower. No, I-I'm joking, sir. [Laughs] It's a double-handed riding, yes.

Alex: A riding mower.

Sheri: Yes, sir. Yes. I've been spending the last year and a half thinking about my interview with you. Thinking, "Well, Alex," as I mow around the lawn, "I'll talk to you about this, and I'll talk to you about that." That's what I've been doing.

Alex: Okay. Good. Glad I brought it up.

Alex: Mike Malaier from Tacoma, Washington, is an attorney. I learned a lesson many years ago--never stick my finger near a parrot, a lobster, or a crab. Because you had an unpleasant experience.

Mike: I nearly--it felt like I nearly lost my finger last summer on a rock c--on a rock crab. We were--we were crabbing for dungeness, and I should have just known to throw it back anyway, but I figured I would try to save the day. Reached in, and it exponentially pounded my finger. Um, but it won the--the battle, but I eventually won the war.

Alex: Yeah.

Mike: 'Cause I ate him later.

Alex: Good. You have to know--it's tricky. You have to know exactly where to grab them, because they can bring their claws around.

Mike: Right. Their arms are--are longer than they look.

Alex: Yeah. They can bring them around and get ya.

Alex: David Schuman...

David: Yeah.

Alex: ...is, uh, our champion. He is also the P.A. announcer for which sports teams?

David: I go to Vanderbilt University, and I'm the announcer for the women's soccer team and the women's lacrosse team. And I was--I was hoping to maybe announce you. If--taking Johnny Gilbert's job.

Alex: Oh. Uh, you're going to have to deal with Johnny, uh, about that.

David: We'll talk. We'll talk.

Alex: You'll talk? I don't think they'll be much talking going on. Johnny'll squeeze you out so fast.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. David had $3,800, Mike had $2,600, and Sheri was at $3,400. David wagered $1,500.

MUSEUMS $800: Architect Pierre Cuypers designed the museum that houses Vermeer's "The Kitchen Maid"
(David: Um... what is the Louvre?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSEUMS $1000: The American Museum of Science & Energy is in this city just west of Knoxville, Tennessee
(David: Gotta go with Nashville on--what is Nashville?)

WHAT YEAR WAS THAT? $1000: The Battle of New Orleans, get your Wordsworth with "The White Doe of Rylstone"
(Sheri: What is 18... mm, 14?)
(David: What is 1812?)
(Alex: No. It was in the--in the War of 1812, but it happened in [*], at the end of the war.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sheri: $4,200
Mike: $2,200
David: $700
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE CORPORATE ARENA (5/5)
LITERARY TABLOID HEADLINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RANDOM HOUSE (5/5)
CHEMISTRY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT (5/5)
"MAN"LY PLACES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sheri: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
David: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. David had $2,700, Mike had $8,600, and Sheri was at $5,000. Mike wagered $3,600.

CHEMISTRY $2000: Used as a purification process, it's the evaporation of a liquid & then the condensation of the vapor

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sheri who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. David had $2,300, Mike had $13,400, and Sheri was at $10,200. Sheri wagered $3,800.

LITERARY TABLOID HEADLINES $1600: 1847:
"Attic head case sets fire to house when hubby falls for new governess"
(Sheri: [Under breath] Okay, this is either Rebecca, or it is... [normal voice] What is [*]?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"MAN"LY PLACES $2000: During WWII, an internment camp for Japanese Americans was at this California locale

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $20,600
Sheri: $16,400
David: $4,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV ANIMATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Mike: Wager $12,201 to cover Sheri. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $3,601.
Sheri: You'll want to wager between $4,201 (venusian) and $7,799 (martian), and you'll win the game if Mike wagers enough and gets it wrong.
David: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This teen duo debuted in a 1992 animated short in which they played baseball with a frog

FINAL SCORES
David: $4,300 - $4,200 = $100 (Who are the Wonder Twins) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sheri: $16,400 - $15,000 = $1,400 (Who are Phineas & Ferb?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mike: $20,600 - $12,500 = $8,100 (Who are Ren and Stimpy) (New champion: $8,100)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $19,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sheri: $14,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
David: $5,800, 15 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $39,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Sheri: 19/59 = .322
Mike: 18/59 = .305
David: 15/59 = .254
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT YEAR WAS THAT? $200: Fukushima nuclear disaster,
"Mr. Popper's Penguins" in theaters
(David: What is 2010?)

MUSEUMS $400: A prison has been taken over by unhinged inmates in this notorious chamber of Madame Tussaud's London wax museum
(Mike: What is a house of [*]?)
(Alex: It's the Chamber of [*]. Yes. Okay. "[*]" is the definitive word.)

BIG CHECKS $200: A 2012 million-dollar donation to a pro-Obama super-PAC came courtesy of this man

BIG CHECKS $400: Arnold Palmer is seen here checking in during the early years of this tour, now called the Champions Tour
(David: What is... the PGA Tour?)

BIG CHECKS $600: The sweepstakes to promote this company's discount subscriptions has given away over $227 million, some of it here

BIG CHECKS $800: Youth Education Towns are getting a cool million thanks to this NFL honcho.

BIG CHECKS $1000: Elizabeth Taylor is seen here with a check for her favorite cause, research to cure this

MUSEUMS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem.) The Shrine of the Book, which houses these texts, discovered in the 1940s, is shaped like the top of one of the jars that contained them

IN THE POLITICAL ARENA $400: He supported Al Gore's 1988 presidential campaign; now he's governor of Texas & his views have changed a bit
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

WHAT YEAR WAS THAT? $800: The Constitution gets a 25th Amendment, the Six-Day War, "The Summer of Love"
(David: What is 1968?)
(Mike: What is 1969?)
(Sheri: Thanks, guys.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

RANDOM HOUSE $800: There's a "Chapel in the Woods" for weddings at this Memphis landmark, just down the blvd. from the Heartbreak Hotel
(Sheri: What is Nashville?)

RANDOM HOUSE $1600: Built between 1936 & 1939, this Frank Lloyd Wright house is a national historic landmark
(David: What is Fallingwaters?)

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $1600: A rod around which sewing thread or an LP record revolves
(Alex: That's the word, with a minute to go.)

IN THE CORPORATE ARENA $1200: This company is based in Memphis, so giving the Grizzlies a forum for hoops is something it can deliver
(Sheri: What is UPS?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Rijksmuseum (in Amsterdam)
Oak Ridge
distillation
Jane Eyre
Manzanar
Beavis & Butt-head
Horrors
Bill Maher
the Seniors Tour
Publishers Clearing House
Roger Goodell
AIDS
the Dead Sea Scrolls
Rick Perry
Graceland
Fallingwater
spindle
FedEx
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

WIll there be a clue about Andy Williams today?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TV Animation
This teen duo debuted in a 1992 animated short in which they played baseball with a frog.
Spoiler
Who are Beavis and Butt-Head? David said the Wonder Twins; Sheri said Phineas and Ferb; Mike said Ren and Stimpy.
Mike Malaier: $20,600-$12,500=$8,100...now a 1-day champion with $8,100
Sheri Boysen: $16,400-$15,000=$1,400
David Schuman: $4,300-$4,200=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Great effort, Case. Loved your interview and was really rooting for you. Guessing none of you were quite the right generation for FJ!, though I thought the champ was. It was an instaget for me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never seen a single episode of that show, but guessed correctly based on the time period and knowing they were known for doing things like that.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

Case/Sheri played her cards so close to her chest. Through both taping days, she kept shushing people when they started to tell us some bit of information that they knew. I chatted with Sheri a good bit and even shared some strategy, because we were almost certain we wouldn't play each other. And my jaw fell to the floor when she started tearing her way through that literary category. Is it a literature/english PhD or Masters, Sheri? None of us had any clue that was her wheelhouse.

Sheri, you played a great game! I wish we'd be seeing you tomorrow, but I hope you're proud of the wonderful game that you played!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:It was an instaget for me.
Ditto.

I, too, want to say good game, Sheri, even if it didn't turn out the way you had hoped.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Total wheelhouse FJ! for me. I've never seen Beavis and Butt-head myself (was I really 5 in 1992?), but that was super-instaget.

4/5 in Arenas. United stumped me. That's 4 more than I thought I'd get right.

0/4 in Year, 0/5 in Big Checks.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So a friend actually spoiled the FJ for me, saying that it was about Beavis and Butthead and that he couldn't believe that everyone missed it (but, then, pretty much all the FJs this year have been TSs, it seems).

I was fairly unhappy, since I figured that I would get a Beavis question but didn't like being spoiled. I say to him, "What was the question about? Did it mention their first episode, 'Frog Baseball'"?

So I am counting that as a correct.
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

I should probably be pretty embarrassed that B&BH is going to be the FJ clue that breaks my season-long FJ drought-but I'll take it!
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I got FJ but to be honest it was a WAG. At first I thought the clue meant the frog was pitching or batting. Now I realize otherwise. :-D
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Got the Oak Ridge clue from the Final J! in day two of the 1996 TofC finals.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Instant insta-get :lol:
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

Granted, this was wheelhouse for me, so it was insta-get, but c'mon...two relatively young males and neither of them can come up with Beavis & Butthead on that?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board.

FJ was a super instant get for me. I also knew that the duo's first appearance was in "Frog Baseball." I am not about to say that it was an easy clue, though. I could see someone blanking on it.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Beavis and Butthead was a Triple Stumper. Love it. I got it right after about five seconds after piecing together the year, going reluctantly to Wayne's World, and then moving it to animation.

Great game though. Love how fast our players moved through DJ, the aggressiveness in their clue choices, wagering values, etc. Very enjoyable, even if the board skewed a bit easy (those particular books belonged in the Jeopardy category). And hey, we were discussing earlier, we got a whole category dedicated to stadium names with sponsorship. I of course got two wrong (doh) to deflate the Coryat.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was hoping we were going to get a good run out of Case. Sorry it was not to be, Sheri. I'm embarrassed not to have gotten FJ (went with Ren & Stimpy -- the frog made me think of animals rather than humans) since I'm friends with the producer of B&B (not that I've ever watched it, though, since I didn't know that until after its run). I've alerted him that he needs to watch it tonight.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

legendneverdies wrote:Got the Oak Ridge clue from the Final J! in day two of the 1996 TofC finals.
I got it from living in Knoxville for eight years and visiting the museum several times. Was today's episodes sponsored by the state of Tennessee? Oak Ridge, Graceland and FedEx, along with the Battle of New Orleans, led by Andrew Jackson, who lived in Nashville.

Nice story on the lawnmowing and I loved how she kept calling Alex "Sir". But bad FJ bet.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

legendneverdies wrote:Got the Oak Ridge clue from the Final J! in day two of the 1996 TofC finals.
I worked in the nuclear power field for many years. We all know about Oak Ridge. :)