Monday, October 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6456, 2012-10-15

Stephanie Jass game 6.

CONTESTANTS
John Matthews, a camp counselor and law student from McLean, Virginia
Ricky Leiter, a resident physician in internal medicine from New York, New York
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan (whose 5-day cash winnings total $98,970)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The start of another week that should be an exciting one here on Jeopardy!, given our returning champion, Stephanie. She is going to go over the $100,000 mark today, isn't she? Well, Ricky and John maybe are not quite as enthusiastic as some of the others. Let's find out what happens. Good luck, players. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round and these categories now in play for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TOOL SHED (5/5)
DR. SEUSS TITLES BY INITIALS (3/5)
SING US A SONG, YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN (5/5)
STUPID FOOD ANSWERS (5/5)
PLURALS (5/5)
THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: A visit to Ford's Theatre to explore one of the most tragic events in American history.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Ricky: 4 R, 1 W
John: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $5,000
John: $1,400
Ricky: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Matthews is a young man from McLean, Virginia, who had, uh, a very tall roommate in college who is now playing professional basketball?

John: Professional football, Alex.

Alex: Oh!

John: His name's Matt O'Donnell. He's now playing for the Bengals. So, I walk into my dorm room the first day of college, and looking at me is this 6'11" guy, probably 300, 305 pounds.

Alex: Mm-hm.

John: Just set up a very tense situation for the year, knowing that, if there were ever any physical issues, I would come out on the short end of the stick.

Alex: No, no, what you should have done is just looked at it in the opposite way, saying, "If there are any physical issues, he's gonna protect me."

John: Oh!

Alex: That's the way to look at it.

John: That's right, Alex.

Alex: Ricky Leiter from New York, a resident physician in internal medicine who went to an all-boys school in Toronto. I haven't been in Toronto in a long, long time, and I'm trying to think of what school it might be. Tell me.

Ricky: So, it was Upper Canada College.

Alex: Ah, yes.

Ricky: It's a private school.

Alex: That's a pretty sharp place to get an education.

Ricky: It was--it was a fantastic education.

Alex: But you didn't continue your education in Toronto. You got your medical degree where?

Ricky: At Northwestern.

Alex: Northwest--

Ricky: In--in the meantime, I went to an all-women's college, as well.

Alex: Oh, really?

Ricky: Yes.

Alex: How did you work that?

Ricky: I did a graduate program.

Alex: You shaved the beard, obviously.

Ricky: I did. I had a great costume, grew out the hair a little bit. So, I've gone to two single-sex schools.

Alex: Okay. Well, good to have you with us today.

Alex: Stephanie Jass is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. Her dream job is not to be a contestant on Jeopardy! Your dream job is to have a cabaret act.

Stephanie: Oh, yes! I would love to have my own. I want to sort of be Elaine Stritch, you know, and be--well, she's fabulous, but have your own, you know, a piano, a stool, singing songs, telling stories, drinking a drink, being Elaine Stritch.

Alex: Drinking a drink, smoking a cigarette, yeah.

Stephanie: Exactly. Exactly, yeah.

Alex: Typical cabaret.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Stephanie had $9,200, Ricky had $1,600, and John was at $200. Stephanie wagered $800.

THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN $600: (Alex walks the stage of Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C.) Illustrating the difference in memories, some people said that Booth shouted this Latin phrase right from here, center stage; others said, "No, it was from the box"; Booth himself wrote that he spoke the words before shooting Lincoln; perhaps he said these words more than once

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DR. SEUSS TITLES BY INITIALS $600: "H.T.G.S.C!"

DR. SEUSS TITLES BY INITIALS $1000: "F.I.S."

THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN $400: (Alex stands on the stage of Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C.) Police work in those days could be a little bit shoddy: hours after the murder, a man named William Kent came back to the presidential box looking for his keys; what he found was the murder weapon, the small .44-caliber single-shot pistol bearing the name of this Philadelphia gunsmith who invented it
(John: Who is Samuel Colt?)

THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN $800: (Alex reports from the Petersen House in Washington, D.C.) While Mrs. Lincoln and her friends sat vigil here in the front parlor, in the back parlor, this energetic Secretary of War took charge of the investigation and worked tirelessly through the night, coordinating the manhunt for John Wilkes Booth & his accomplices
(Stephanie: Who was Seward?)

THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN $1000: (Alex reports from the Petersen House in Washington, D.C.) At 7:22 on the morning of April 15, 1865, President Lincoln died in this small bedroom; a prayer was said, & then, according to tradition, Edwin Stanton uttered these six famous words

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $9,200
Ricky: $1,600
John: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ART TERMS (4/5)
"SIN" FULL (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CITY FOUNDERS (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV CHARACTERS (4/5)
GET YOUR DUCKS (2/5)
IN A ROW (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
John: 6 R, 3 W
Ricky: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Stephanie had $11,200, Ricky had $2,000, and John was at $200. Stephanie wagered $2,000.

"SIN" FULL $1600: Astronomical term for a place in space where matter is infinitely dense
(Stephanie: What is Sin City?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Stephanie had $10,800, Ricky had $2,000, and John was at $4,600. Stephanie wagered $1,000.

CITY FOUNDERS $800: In 1839 John Sutter established the colony that became this state capital

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV CHARACTERS $2000: Yes, there is crime in Toronto & Andy McNally (Missy Peregrym) is a new cop fighting it on this ABC show
(Ricky: What is Flashpoint?)

GET YOUR DUCKS $400: Drop a "G" from a Chinese dish to get this breed of duck popular among U.S. poultry farmers

GET YOUR DUCKS $1600: There are blue-winged & green-winged types of this duck that's also a blue-green color

ART TERMS $1600: Duchamp is the father of this style of art that elevates idea over execution; the term contains a synonym for "idea"
(John: What is Impressionism?)

IN A ROW $1200: Archaeologists discovered 19 rows of stones extending below this alliterative holy landmark in Jerusalem
(Alex: Less than a minute now, John.)

GET YOUR DUCKS $2000: A large group of floating ducks is called this, like a flat water transport
(John: What is a barge?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $21,000 (lock game)
John: $2,200
Ricky: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Stephanie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $16,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
John: Wager $1,801 to cover Ricky.
Ricky: Risk between $201 and $1,600, covering John's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A proposed title for this novel sounded too much like a Vegas heist movie, so the number in the title was doubled

FINAL SCORES
Ricky: $2,000 - $2,000 = $0 (What is 50/50?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $2,200 + $1,900 = $4,100 (What is Catch-22?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Stephanie: $21,000 + $4,000 = $25,000 (What is Catch 22?) (6-day champion: $123,970)
(Alex: That Vegas heist movie starred Frank Sinatra.)
(Alex: Ocean's Eleven was the film.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $22,600, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
John: $2,200, 10 R, 6 W
Ricky: $2,000, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Stephanie: 31/61 = .508
John: 11/58 = .190
Ricky: 6/58 = .103
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STUPID FOOD ANSWERS $600: It's a hot dog on a stick that's dipped in cornbread batter & deep fried
(John: What--what is a pogo?)

PLURALS $800: Seraph: seraphs or this longer word
(John: What are "seraphins"?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(John: "Ser--seraphins"?)
(Ricky: What are "seraphin"?)

THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN $200: (Alex walks the stage of Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C.) President Lincoln arrived late at Ford's Theatre; the show was already under way, but when he was spotted walking down the stairs toward the presidential box, everything here stopped; then the orchestra struck up "Hail To The Chief", the audience gave him a thunderous round of applause, the president waved & bowed, & then the performance of this play continued

GET YOUR DUCKS $1200: The sawbill feeds mainly on this slippery prey, hence the serrated, saw-like bill

CITY FOUNDERS $400: Andrew Jackson was a co-founder of this largest Tennessee city
(John: What is Nashville?)

ART TERMS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows A Bar at the Folies-Bergère on the monitor.) Critics describing areas within a painting that are shaped alike, the way Manet crafted the chandelier & fruit bowl, employ this term, used of words in a poem that sound alike

CITY FOUNDERS $1200: This home to the University of Oregon was founded by a Mr. Skinner & given his first name
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sic semper tyrannis
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
Fox in Socks
Henry Deringer
Edwin Stanton
"Now he belongs to the ages"
a singularity
Sacramento
Rookie Blue
a pekin duck
a teal
conceptual art
the Western Wall (or the Wailing Wall)
a raft
Catch-22
a corn dog
seraphim
Our American Cousin
fish
Memphis
rhyme
Eugene
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Better late than never, sorry for the delay...

Fiction
A proposed title for this novel sounded too much like a Vegas heist movie, so the number in the title was doubled.
Spoiler
What is Catch-22? Ricky said 50/50, which Alex thought was So/So.

Stephanie Jass: $21,000+$4,000=$25,000...now a 6-day champion with $123,970
John Matthews: $2,200+$1,900=$4,100
Ricky Leiter: $2,000-$2,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't think these boards were really all that easy, but I still managed a lot of gets that impressed myself, such as raft of ducks and Wailing Wall.

Men-children cost me the run in Pluralses.

Sweet merciful CRAP, were those Lincoln clues looooooooong. I had no idea on any of them.

Big Bang Theory at $1600 was mega-overvalued, and Pekin duck was way undervalued at $400 even with the Chinese TOM.

Nice one to throw at the end of Stupid Food Answers. I said "Linzer" instead of Linz. (I could swear there was a fairly recent Stupid Answers that was largely or entirely TSes. I think it was on a TOC. Ring a bell for anyone?)

I remembered reading something about Catch-22 once being called "Catch-18", so it was the first book I ruled out. From there, I couldn't think of any other notable "number" books, so I just left it blank. (It also didn't help that I was completely unaware that there are two Ocean's Eleven films.)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

So this Stephanie lady, pretty good or what?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I always thought Catch-22 was once Catch-18, but was changed to 22 because Mila 18 by Leon Uris was coming out. With that said, I said Catch-22 because I had no other choice, really, and I retroduced that Catch-11 might have something to do with Ocean's Eleven, even if I think that story isn't really true.

Nice win by the champ. I once had pet ducks so I enjoyed the duck category.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Are you going to even give your opponents a chance, Stephanie? :shock:

Keep up the domination... everyone knows I love to see a champ go far. You're unstoppable!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:So this Stephanie lady, pretty good or what?
Yeah, just a little bit .... :)

Congrats to the newest Superchamp!

I did think that you should have been negged for socket wrench, as they asked for the attachments, but ultimately, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I was really surprised that they gave Stanton's name in the clue after they asked about him. Granted, they didn't give his title, but the name might be enough to jog someone's memory.

I went straight from Ocean's Eleven to Catch-22. Done.

Here's what wiki says:
wikipedia wrote:The title is a reference to a fictional bureaucratic stipulation which embodies forms of illogical and immoral reasoning. The opening chapter of the novel was originally published in New World Writing as Catch-18 in 1955, but Heller's agent, Candida Donadio, requested that he change the title of the novel, so it would not be confused with another recently published World War II novel, Leon Uris's Mila 18. The number 18 has special meaning in Judaism (it means Alive in Gematria) and was relevant to early drafts of the novel which had a somewhat greater Jewish emphasis.

The title Catch-11 was suggested, with the duplicated 1 paralleling the repetition found in a number of character exchanges in the novel, but because of the release of the 1960 movie Ocean's Eleven, this was also rejected. Catch-17 was rejected so as not to be confused with the World War II film Stalag 17, as was Catch-14, apparently because the publisher did not feel that 14 was a "funny number." Eventually the title came to be Catch-22, which, like 11, has a duplicated digit, with the 2 also referring to a number of déjà vu-like events common in the novel.
brogrenkp
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by brogrenkp »

STEPHANIE IS QUEEN OF JEOPARDY!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
zakharov wrote:So this Stephanie lady, pretty good or what?
Yeah, just a little bit .... :)

Congrats to the newest Superchamp!

I did think that you should have been negged for socket wrench, as they asked for the attachments, but ultimately, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I was really surprised that they gave Stanton's name in the clue after they asked about him. Granted, they didn't give his title, but the name might be enough to jog someone's memory.
I was surprised by that, too. Sloppy question writing, but now it belongs to the ages.
PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 »

Wow...I just saw first hand how dangerous Stephanie can be on the buzzer. First superchamp of S29, and now I'm starting to wonder how she'll do in the ToC.

She's like a female equivalent of Aaron Schroeder, Ben Bishop, Dan Pawson and Roger Craig combined! Like various contestants on Press Your Luck, I don't want to be the unlucky contestant who is against someone as smart on this show I've watched for 24 years, because I know I'm going to get smoked, or even eliminated with $0 or a negative number and unable to play FJ!. :P

When I saw the tail end of round one, I told myself, "nice knowing you" to her opponents, because I think I knew how this was going to end.

Congratulations on game #6 - and I hope to see more superchamps down the road this season that can totally crush the competition like Stephanie. Talk about complete...domination! (Oh, and the art category in round 2 was relatively easy to me.)
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

PlayerWM86 wrote:I'm starting to wonder how she'll do in the ToC.
Knowledge-wise, she can compete with anyone. I don't see her winning, though, unless she gives up the conservative betting (unless she just keeps hogging all the DD's. :) )
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Stephanie becomes only the second female in the nine years of unlimited appearances to win six games, with Larissa Kelly being the other. A win tomorrow of course sets a record for her with seven wins. Stephanie would not have cracked $100K, as Alex said at the beginning of the show she was guaranteed to, if she finished third(she'd have had $99970)
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Congrats to the prettiest steamroller I think most of us have seen in a long, long time.

Another great game... I did fine on the Lincoln questions and others, crashed and burned on the art category, and because er, of my occupation, the FJ was an Instaget.

Boy, Stephanie, no offense, but I'm *so* glad you arrived the week after my "Jeopardy!" win, and not the week of... :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

A lovely green today! Still prefer the red shades, but this works too.

Ran the Lincoln category. Did they tell you to take that in order? Because the DD was still out there, and had you "hunted" for it and gone to 1000 first, they'd've mentioned the 800 answer for you.
Only missed one on this whole board! Clammed on 3 (two of the Seuss titles, ouch!)

DrJ, my mom called me to mention she noticed you have roses on every top you've worn so far. She asked me "I wonder if there's something behind that?" So, now I'm asking!

Nice get. I thought this was a slightly tough FJ- took a little sussing out, but managed to get it with time to spare. I think the players did well to get 2/3.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Congratulations Stephanie! I am now extremely concerned by the prospect of having to face off against you.

I was feeling pretty good about today's board until FJ. I got all the way to the number 22 via Ocean's 11 and then couldn't for the life of me think of a novel title that contained the number 22. Fail.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:(I could swear there was a fairly recent Stupid Answers that was largely or entirely TSes. I think it was on a TOC. Ring a bell for anyone?)
Answering my own question, I found this game from 2009, where the first 3 in Stupid Answers were TSes. But I could swear there was a more recent one that got stunk up just as badly by the players. (If I remember correctly, I went 0/5 there. "Green Park" may be one of the toughest top box clues I've ever seen, right up there with Pekin duck tonight.)
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:(I could swear there was a fairly recent Stupid Answers that was largely or entirely TSes. I think it was on a TOC. Ring a bell for anyone?)
Answering my own question, I found this game from 2009, where the first 3 in Stupid Answers were TSes. But I could swear there was a more recent one that got stunk up just as badly by the players. (If I remember correctly, I went 0/5 there. "Green Park" may be one of the toughest top box clues I've ever seen, right up there with Pekin duck tonight.)
That's the only one I didn't get from the category (well, you told us the answer, but I'm counting it as a miss since I wouldn't have made the right guess). NHO that park.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:That's the only one I didn't get from the category (well, you told us the answer, but I'm counting it as a miss since I wouldn't have made the right guess). NHO that park.
That's the problem with some Stupid Answers clues — if you don't know, there are often far too many potential guesses. Reservoir Park? Queen's Park? Basin Park? Grace Park? Formerly Park? Called Park? This Park?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

First I spent a few seconds trying to think of a movie with 225 1/2 in th title. Then went through a few other numbers until 22 came to me. Remembered Oceans 11 was an old movie and scribbled down the correct response just in time.

The Lincoln category was simple if you could wade through Alex's Oprahesque description. I knew what they were going for right away but almost forgot it waitng for him to finish. I missed the gun clue, thought that was a bit undervalued.

Congrats to Steph on win #6!!!!!