Wednesday, October 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6458, 2012-10-17

Stephanie Jass game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Meredith Lowmaster, a medical research technician from Quincy, Massachusetts
Jan Walkenhorst, a university athletic department tutor from Lincoln, Nebraska
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan (whose 7-day cash winnings total $147,570)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone, and welcome again to our program. At the end of yesterday's show, we did some research, and, guess what--Stephanie has been very successful. She has now moved into the top 10 of Jeopardy! contestants who have won seven or more games. And at the head of that list, of course, is Ken Jennings. Jan and Meredith, nice to have you with us today also. Let's go to work, ladies, and play the first round, shall we? This is the easier round. It has one Daily Double in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE'S WALDO (5/5) (Alex: For 25 years, we have been looking for him...)
QUOTABLE NOTABLES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE BEATLES: THE EARLY YEARS (5/5)
MAKE ME A DRINK, BARKEEP! (1/2)
LIVING IN TENTS (4/5)
"OCC"-UPY JEOPARDY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 14 R, 2 W
Jan: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Meredith: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jan found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Stephanie had no money, Jan had $2,200, and Meredith was at $1,800. Jan wagered $1,200.

QUOTABLE NOTABLES $1000: To Ptolemy I, he said, "There is no royal road to geometry", & he should know
(Jan: Uh, who is Pythagoras?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Meredith: $1,800
Jan: $1,000
Stephanie: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Meredith Lowmaster from Quincy, Massachusetts, is a medical-research technician.

Meredith: Mm-hm.

Alex: Now, we've all had problems going traveling, going through airports, problems with our luggage. You had a luggage situation that's a little different.

Meredith: I did. Uh, one time, when I got back to school after Christmas break, I opened up my suitcase, and right on the top was a pair of silky pajama pants that did not belong to me. They were blue, and they said, "Ho, Ho, Ho," all over them.

Alex: And was everything else yours?

Meredith: Everything else was mine, except I think they broke my paint box on that trip, as well.

Alex: I see. So somebody had slipped in a pair of silk pajamas.

Meredith: Yep.

Alex: I hope it was good, high-quality stuff, and you could use it.

Alex: Jan Walkenhorst from Lincoln, Nebraska--university athletic-department tutor.

Jan: Yes.

Alex: Which means you work with football players, basketball players, what?

Jan: All 23 sports.

Alex: All of them?

Jan: Mm-hmm. It's wonderful.

Alex: Does Nebraska have a pretty good record--I always thought it did--about graduating their athletes?

Jan: Yes, yes, we certainly do.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Jan: Thank you.

Alex: Stephanie Jass is a history professor who teaches in some novel ways, and I want to hear about that. You need to keep the students interested.

Stephanie: Yeah, absolutely.

Alex: How do you do that?

Stephanie: I use a pedagogy that is available to anyone to use in their college classroom called "Reacting to the Past". It's a game pedagogy, so it's sort of a historical role-playing game, where each student is given a historical person to play--actual historical person, actual historical event, but it's not scripted. So they have to know their character and speak as their character throughout the course of the game, which may last five or six class sessions. And so, for example, we have a game on Darwin, where they're debating whether Darwin should be given the Copley Medal for Origin of Species. So they're all members of the Royal Society, and they have to argue and debate in class. Uh, and it's really, really challenging, and it's really engaging.

Alex: And I bet you most of them want to play the heroes.

Stephanie: Of course. Of course.

Alex: Yes, the heroic figures.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MAKE ME A DRINK, BARKEEP! $400: Another of these, starin' slowly cross the bar: 1 1/2 oz. Patron, 1/2 oz. grenadine, 3 oz. orange juice

LIVING IN TENTS $200: The dwelling sometimes called a wickiup is called this "w"ord in the abenaki language

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $6,400
Meredith: $2,600
Jan: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A NOVEL DEATH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FORMERLY MARRIED (5/5)
ASTRONOMY (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAKE THE PHRASE (4/5)
L'HISTOIRE FRANÇAISE (4/5)
SAFETY IN NUMBERS (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 9 R, 1 W
Jan: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Meredith: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jan snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Stephanie had $6,400, Jan had $3,600, and Meredith was at $3,800. Jan wagered $1,600.

A NOVEL DEATH $2000: This title guy dies "withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Meredith who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Stephanie had $10,000, Jan had $6,800, and Meredith was at $5,000. Meredith wagered $4,000.

ASTRONOMY $1600: In March 1930 its discovery was announced at Lowell Observatory in Arizona

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A NOVEL DEATH $1600: Myrtle Wilson is but a speed bump in this driver's road in "The Great Gatsby"
(Alex: And [*] was at the wheel.)

MAKE THE PHRASE $800: To discern, to complete writing a check or to engage in kissing, you "make" this
(Stephanie: What is make good?)

ASTRONOMY $400: On the Moon, Hell, Billy & Julius Caesar are these

ASTRONOMY $1200: The magnitude of Algol, a binary star, changes every 69 hours as the fainter star does this, passes in front of its pal
(Meredith: What is occludes?)
(Alex: Occludes. Be more specific.)
(Meredith: Occludes the star?)
(Alex: No.)

ASTRONOMY $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) Also a term for a part of speech, it's when the Earth, a heavenly body like Venus, & the Sun are all nearly in a straight line

L'HISTOIRE FRANÇAISE $2000: Francois Mitterrand became France's president in 1981; this Francois became president in 2012
(Jan: Who is, um, Sarkozy?)
(Alex: He's the man who succeeded Sarkozy--[*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $16,400
Meredith: $9,000
Jan: $7,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Stephanie] Well, we have you at $16,400, and for the first time in recent memory, it's not a runaway for you. Meredith has more than 50% of your total. So she's in this, and so is Jan with $7,200. Final Jeopardy! will determine the outcome, won't it? We're dealing with...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES & POPULATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Stephanie: Wager $1,601 to cover Meredith, but no more than $1,999 so as not to fall behind Jan's doubled score.
Meredith: You have the hope of surpassing Stephanie if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,401 to force Stephanie to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jan.
Jan: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
If it were a nation, a state with a 2-word name in this country would be the world's 6th most-populous at 200 million

FINAL SCORES
Jan: $7,200 - $4,200 = $3,000 (What is New Je) (3rd place: $1,000)
Meredith: $9,000 + $7,000 = $16,000 (What is India) (New champion: $16,000)
Stephanie: $16,400 - $2,400 = $14,000 (What is Outer Mongolia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Meredith] The state is Uttar Pradesh.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $16,400, 23 R, 3 W
Jan: $8,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Meredith: $6,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $31,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Stephanie: 23/58 = .397
Jan: 12/60 = .200
Meredith: 11/59 = .186
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHERE'S WALDO $200: In a crowd with their eyes to the skies, Waldo's in this U.S. state

WHERE'S WALDO $400: Waldo would look good in the headgear on display at this Buckingham Palace event

WHERE'S WALDO $600: Waldo joins other Americans in pondering beside this body of water in Washington, D.C.
(Stephanie: What is the Reflection Pool?)

WHERE'S WALDO $800: It's May 21, 1927, & Waldo has to fight the crowd to pick up a friend at this city's airfield
(Stephanie: What is St. Louis?)
(Alex: [*], yes--Le Bourget. Lindy's landing.)

WHERE'S WALDO $1000: Wait your turn, Waldo, in the crowd of pilgrims who've come to bathe in this river

THE BEATLES: THE EARLY YEARS $1000: This man, who died in 1962, left the group to go to art college, which was just as well, as Paul wanted to move to bass

"OCC"-UPY JEOPARDY! $1000: Staph is short for this infectious bacterium & easier to say too
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

LIVING IN TENTS $1000: This word for the tentlike home of central Asian nomads means "home" in Turkish
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

L'HISTOIRE FRANÇAISE $400: In 1456, 25 years after her execution, the Pope declared this woman innocent; she'd later become an Orleans saint
[Stephanie uses a perfect French pronunciation when calling the first clue of this category.]
(Alex: Well said.)

L'HISTOIRE FRANÇAISE $800: The first stone of what would become this Paris prison was laid on April 22, 1370
(Jan: [Calling the second clue in the category] Uh, FRENCH HISTORY for $800.)
(Alex: With a minute to go, you are right.)

SAFETY IN NUMBERS $800: To perform this, the Mayo Clinic says an untrained person should do about 100 chest compressions a minute
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Euclid
a tequila sunrise
wigwam
Dorian Gray
Pluto
Daisy Buchanan
out
craters
eclipses
conjunction
François Hollande
India
Florida
changing of the guard
the Reflecting Pool
Paris
the Ganges (in India)
Stu Sutcliffe
staphylococcus
a yurt
Joan of Arc
the Bastille
CPR
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Some of the Fla. stations that air J! between 7-8PM EDT today are airing the senatorial debate at that time. SOme of those stations might air tonight's game tomorrow, particularly if they air the Saturday reruns.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Countries & Populations
If it were a nation, a state with a 2-word name in this country would be the world's 6th most populous at 200 million.

Spoiler
What is India? Jan said "New" something, but it was incomplete. Alex suggested either New Jersey or New Zealand; I thought she could have been headed towards New Delhi. Stephanie said Outer Mongolia.

Stephanie Jass: $16,400-$2,400=$14,000
Meredith Lowmaster: $9,000+$7,000=$16,000...now a 1-day champion with $16,000
Jan Walkenhorst: $7,200-$4,200=$3,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope Nebraska's quarterback calls plays faster than Jan calls for clues, otherwise they'd be penalized for delay of game.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Ooof...if you're gonna lose on Final, don't let it be because you misread the clue. Maybe she would have gotten it. And here I thought we had someone near-unbeatable...
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Agreed. Jan was extremely poky. I'm surprised we got to 27 in each round — the rate she was going, I was expecting them to LTAM as soon as the interviews were over.

I thought for sure that Astronomy for $800 asked for the planet. Didn't help that I had a major brain fart and forgot what came after Mars.

"Occlude" + BMS = eclipse? IMO they shouldn't BMS unless they're looking for a subset of the answer given (e.g. "Who is Bush?" "Be more specific." "Who is George H.W. Bush?" "Correct.") Not something that's not even freaking close.

Never heard of "Make weight" before, and it cost me the run in "Make". Also got 4/5 in Tents thanks to yurt.

Lyle Lovett was my only get in Formerly Married, maintaining my perfect-minus-three record on clues pertaining to country music.

And though I do like a lot of Eagles songs, I've somehow never heard "Tequila Sunrise", so that TOM went over my head. Was hoping they'd do Cuba Libre, since I found a Cuba Libre-flavored Monster (which is easily the best Monster I've ever had) and looked up what is in Cuba Libre out of curiosity.

Couldn't even muster a guess on FJ! I was vaguely aware that other countries have states, but India having states was news to me.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Looks like Stephanie didn't win game ocho, oh well. Still a record number of wins by a woman, we'll see how long that holds up.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Sorry to see the champ go. No offense to the new champ, but the show suddenly became less compelling.

Uttar Pradesh actually showed up as an answer to the show once. IIRC no one got it. My own thought process was that it HAD to be India, not just because of the 200 million population meant that the US, Indonesia, or other big population countries couldn't work, but because India has quite a few two-named states that might do the trick. So even if I was wrong about UP, it had to be one of the others, like Andhra Pradesh or Tamil Nadu or West Bengal. China, on the other hand, has the two named thing, too, but it tends to be big areas, like Inner Mongolia, that don't have a lot of people. "Outer Mongolia" is more Mongolia proper today and isn't a Chinese political unit IIRC.

Also pointing away from China is that its states are called provinces - and I am fairly sure the show would call them that.

Pointing away from New Jersey or whatever that was supposed to be is that it's completely wrong. Don't mean to be harsh but Jan could have shown more, or really any, sense of urgency.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:My own thought process was that it HAD to be India, not just because of the 200 million population meant that the US, Indonesia, or other big population countries couldn't work, but because India has quite a few two-named states that might do the trick.
I forgot they were called states, but like you say, the US and Indonesia are the only countries other than China and India over 200M population. The US obviously isn't it and equally so for Indonesia. China = provinces, so ....
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Damn I feel bad for Stephanie on this one. When I saw the category, I was salivating, haha. I happen to know the five most populous countries(China,India,US,Indo, and Braz.) with Pakistan,Nigeria, Bangladesh coming up from behind them. With the clue, it left one with pretty much with two or three options in India,US, and Java(but it's not a state like those provinces of China) so you will be left with India and US(and no way Cali takes most of the US' population.

But then again, if you have no clue about the first five, 30 secs might not be enough time to run through that logic.

Wasn't the Cassini Division question asking in which planet(6th) is it located ?
"RIngs" is not the name of a planet. Ran Astronomy for a change and was suprised that they did not throw some random yet-often-overlooked constellation(s) in there. Those of which that often ruin my run!

Jan or whatever her name was reallly slow as I was disappointed that we couldn't finish the board.

Kicking myself that I couldn't come up with Daisy(you think they would have accepted just the first name?) and Dorian Gray.

Sorry for all the fragments and looking forward to seeing DR. J in the ToC this year vs. the likes of Jason Keller, David M, Dave Leach , and others!
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

200M was in the clue? I overlooked that, I'm guessing the contestants might have too.

Also overlooked the two-named part. ha
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

zakharov wrote:Ooof...if you're gonna lose on Final, don't let it be because you misread the clue. Maybe she would have gotten it. And here I thought we had someone near-unbeatable...
I misread the clue. For sure. NEVER would have gotten to India, because I thought they were asking for a two-word answer. Le sigh. Outer Mongolia was a joke answer; it was tangentially related to China, and I thought it would be funny, if nothing else! And ironically, the game before, Alex and the other contestants and I spent our last contestant kibbitz talking about traveling to India!! It was a great run, folks; thanks for your support here!!
Last edited by Dr. J on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

CyrusChan wrote: Kicking myself that I couldn't come up with Daisy(you think they would have accepted just the first name?) and Dorian Gray.
Yes, I think they would have accepted "Daisy," but not "Buchanan."
poisontongue

Post by poisontongue »

Austin Powers wrote:Sorry to see the champ go. No offense to the new champ, but the show suddenly became less compelling.

Uttar Pradesh actually showed up as an answer to the show once. IIRC no one got it. My own thought process was that it HAD to be India, not just because of the 200 million population meant that the US, Indonesia, or other big population countries couldn't work, but because India has quite a few two-named states that might do the trick. So even if I was wrong about UP, it had to be one of the others, like Andhra Pradesh or Tamil Nadu or West Bengal. China, on the other hand, has the two named thing, too, but it tends to be big areas, like Inner Mongolia, that don't have a lot of people. "Outer Mongolia" is more Mongolia proper today and isn't a Chinese political unit IIRC.

Also pointing away from China is that its states are called provinces - and I am fairly sure the show would call them that.

Pointing away from New Jersey or whatever that was supposed to be is that it's completely wrong. Don't mean to be harsh but Jan could have shown more, or really any, sense of urgency.
Yup. I went to China first, but between states and population it had to be India and it happened to be the only state I could name off-hand. It's always awkward when I get an FJ that the contestants are so off on. So rare.

Oh well. Good run.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So sorry to see you leave, Stephanie, but at least you get a Volt as a parting prize. You were a joy to watch up there, and we hope you continue to grace us here with your presence.

Who also gets the extra credit for saying Uttar Pradesh? (Though I totally forgot about Tamil Nadu.)

Shout at of the Day (hereinafter "SAotD") was wigwam.

And yes, Jan really slowed the game down. I'm guessing Maggie was on her case.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

"The Cassini division is a dark gap between these structures orbiting the sixth planet."

So they were definitely asking for "Rings" or "Rings of Saturn". It could be argued that "Rings" should be BMSed, but Saturn should be ruled wrong, IMO.

My SAotD was "make out", with three distinct definitions given for it: to write a check, to read something fuzzy, or to kiss. Or in one sentence: "Martina Navratilova said she'd sell me an autograph and a kiss for $20, so I hurried to make out my check, but then she couldn't make out my check, so I didn't get to make out with a Czech."

As for FJ, I knew it almost had to be India or China, with some possibility of Brazil. I wasn't 100% sure about states vs provinces for any of the 3, but I knew India has some massively overpopulated regions, so I felt that was the most likely option. Brazil does have states, and the state of Sao Paulo has over 41 million people, so that wouldn't be the worst guess in the world, but still a long ways off. China has provinces with population figures of 104 million, 95 million, 94 million, 80 million, and 78 million. So had it said something like "Administrative division" instead of state, that may have been a bit trickier. It also may have been a bit of a trick question, because nearly all of China's provinces have 2-word names: Guangdong Province, Shandong Province, Henan Province, Sichuan Province, Jiangsu Province, etc.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with China over India, felt wrong about it when I did it.

Living with a wrestler made making weight an easy get for me.

I agree the clue was badly written, spent part of the time trying to piece it together.

Sorry to see you go, Steph. /can't wait to see you in the TOC.

Steph overbet on FJ. The MSB was $1,601. Her wager made it possible to Jan to win if she doubles up.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Outer Mongolia?!? Ah, I see you were joking...

I knew Uttar Pradesh instantly. I studied India at one point and even dreamt of going there but then I saw too many Amazing Race episodes to continue with that. I was surprised "makeshift" was allowed since its not a phrase. I assume "make-do" was what they expected? Anyway, congrats to the new champ. While I knew "eclipse" was what Alex wanted, her answer seemed acceptable to me.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Occlude" + BMS = eclipse? IMO they shouldn't BMS unless they're looking for a subset of the answer given (e.g. "Who is Bush?" "Be more specific." "Who is George H.W. Bush?" "Correct.") Not something that's not even freaking close.
oc·clude, v. : to close up or block off : obstruct <a thrombus occluding a coronary artery>; also : conceal

Seems like it's your rant here that's "not even freaking close." It was a perfectly reasonable BMS. In what specific way does a star occlude another star?
alietr wrote:Who also gets the extra credit for saying Uttar Pradesh? (Though I totally forgot about Tamil Nadu.)
Nothing special about Tamil Nadu. It's the 5th largest two-word state in India, with a population of 72 million. (Yes, that's nearly double California, so it's nothing to sneeze at...but it's actually the smallest of the 5 big two-word states, so it's not like it's *the one* viable alternative.)
Last edited by marpocky on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.