About This Board

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: About This Board

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Is there a setting to get an e-mail notice when there is a private message? I was spoiled by that feature on the old board and have been slow to notice a number next to messages in the small print here.
If you click on User Control Panel and then click on Board Preferences, down in the middle, there's two radio buttons for PM's. Not sure if it sends an email, but you can have a pop-up box when you log in.
Okay, thanks I'll try those settings together.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Multiquote

Post by dhkendall »

Title says it all.

I guess this is another thing Sony spoiled me on. For those who remember, I used it quite often (some may say abused it, but in my defence I take second place to _Pete :) ) - haven't had a need to here yet, but there haven't been that many messages to necessitate a multi-quote. The time will come, though. Do I have to do it the hard way (cut and paste from multiple windows), or is this something that can be implemented?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alamble

Re: Multiquote

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:Title says it all.

I guess this is another thing Sony spoiled me on. For those who remember, I used it quite often (some may say abused it, but in my defence I take second place to _Pete :) ) - haven't had a need to here yet, but there haven't been that many messages to necessitate a multi-quote. The time will come, though. Do I have to do it the hard way (cut and paste from multiple windows), or is this something that can be implemented?
I imagine you just hit the quote button for each post you wish to quote. Let's try it:
BigDaddyJ wrote:Many thanks to those who set up this board. I was starting to lose hope that the old board at Sony Pictures will be made available anytime soon, and I've really missed reading and engaging in the daily J! banter.

For what it's worth, I'd vote for the multiple fora arrangement, as I did find the old board to be a bit cluttered at times, but I can live with either structure. Maybe even have a separate forum for "First-Time Posters Incensed By (Perceived) Grevious Jeopardy Errors". :)
MarkBarrett wrote:Is there a setting to get an e-mail notice when there is a private message? I was spoiled by that feature on the old board and have been slow to notice a number next to messages in the small print here.
Yep, hitting the individual quote buttons works just fine.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:I imagine you just hit the quote button for each post you wish to quote. Let's try it:

:?: :?: :?: When I hit the first quote button, the browser window changes to the reply window. You can't press the quote button more than once without the computer wanting you to start composing your reply.

Maybe it's my browser (Safari) ...

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
alamble wrote:I imagine you just hit the quote button for each post you wish to quote. Let's try it:

:?: :?: :?: When I hit the first quote button, the browser window changes to the reply window. You can't press the quote button more than once without the computer wanting you to start composing your reply.

Maybe it's my browser (Safari) ...
After you hit quote and start your reply, there is a window below the reply box that shows the previous 10 posts in the thread. It starts as a small window that you have to scroll up and down in, but it has an "expand view" button on the right side of the screen that you can click, and it will expand it to show the previous 10 posts. In those 10 listed posts there is a quote button, and if you click that it will add that quote into your reply box. Now if you want to add a quote from something more than 10 posts back, then I assume that you will have to use more than one window. Of course it is entirely possible that in your browser you aren't seeing the same things that I am, so if none of this is helpful...well, at least I tried.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:After you hit quote and start your reply, there is a window below the reply box that shows the previous 10 posts in the thread. It starts as a small window that you have to scroll up and down in, but it has an "expand view" button on the right side of the screen that you can click, and it will expand it to show the previous 10 posts. In those 10 listed posts there is a quote button, and if you click that it will add that quote into your reply box. Now if you want to add a quote from something more than 10 posts back, then I assume that you will have to use more than one window. Of course it is entirely possible that in your browser you aren't seeing the same things that I am, so if none of this is helpful...well, at least I tried.
Nope just haven't noticed that in my many hours as a board member. :) Thanks, Jeff!

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

This is DWS from the old board. I'm glad to see that a new board is up and running -- hopefully previous boardies can find it (I stumbled across it while visiting the J-Archive). I'm looking forward to revived discussions, game analyses, trivia games, and everything else that makes the board an interesting place.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I only learned of this place when someone mentioned it on the WWTBAM Bored, where several of us had taken up residence. Hopefully, more of us will find it if they happen to check the archive.

Sadly, I fear we'll be much less likely to get players from the show on here. If they go to the official site and see the board is down, they'll quit looking. I googled "Jeopardy Message Board" and did not get a link to here, at least not on the first page. We're also unlikley to attract new boardies for the same reason. I found our old home from looking on the show's website.
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

dhkendall wrote: one for "Other" like RRTD and the like
RRTD = Railroad Tycoon Deluxe? I love that game! ;)
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,

Thank you to all those who've made this "home away from home" possible.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Until I've gotten the spam problem solved, please don't post any replies in a spam thread. I have been deleting the entire thread, so those posts need to be discarded as well. I'm hoping not to have to require approval for people to join since I'd like to keep it as open as possible, but we'll see if that's going to be feasible.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:Until I've gotten the spam problem solved, please don't post any replies in a spam thread. I have been deleting the entire thread, so those posts need to be discarded as well. I'm hoping not to have to require approval for people to join since I'd like to keep it as open as possible, but we'll see if that's going to be feasible.
Don't some boards require a new member to have at least a certain number of posts before they can start a new thread? Is that a setting that you can enable for this board? I don't know if spammers would simply post in existing threads instead if they couldn't start a new thread, or if they would just move on to somewhere else. I have no idea what exactly the mindset is of these people (?), so I don't know exactly how they deal with attempts to curtail them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can one of you Bored types send me TubaDave's email address, please? Thanks in advance.
earendel

Post by earendel »

alietr wrote:Can one of you Bored types send me TubaDave's email address, please? Thanks in advance.
I'll send it to you in a PM.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:Until I've gotten the spam problem solved, please don't post any replies in a spam thread. I have been deleting the entire thread, so those posts need to be discarded as well. I'm hoping not to have to require approval for people to join since I'd like to keep it as open as possible, but we'll see if that's going to be feasible.
While I agree approvals would be a bit of a hassle for both you and others, it would be better than seeing three or four spam threads every day.

I don't understand these people's mindsets, either. Surely they don't think somebody is going to click on their links and buy something from them? Even if it were a legitimate product I actually needed, I wouldn't do it for the principle of the thing. My guess is they just get their jollies cluttering up message boards and the actual links may cause harm to your computer if you clicked them.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
While I agree approvals would be a bit of a hassle for both you and others, it would be better than seeing three or four spam threads every day.

I don't understand these people's mindsets, either. Surely they don't think somebody is going to click on their links and buy something from them? Even if it were a legitimate product I actually needed, I wouldn't do it for the principle of the thing. My guess is they just get their jollies cluttering up message boards and the actual links may cause harm to your computer if you clicked them.
I think also if it's on various places it helps their search engine ranking. Boards like ours may delete them, but there are several unmonitored (and essentially inactive) boards and blogs that can help. They don't know what this one is until they post.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Wow - people sure found this board fast! Thanks for setting it up. I may even have found it earlier if I hadn't been on vacation.

I haven't seen it said explicitly here, so I'll remind everyone for the record: The Sony website that previously hosted the Jeopardy forums was hacked and your usernames and passwords to that board are now floating around on the internet. If you, like me, used that username/password on other sites you should change the password on those other sites NOW. Using the same username/password on multiple sites is bad form but I'm sure many of us have a "low security" password that is used in multiple places. After this hacking, I would consider that password "zero security".

Looking forward to resuming the discussions!
alamble

Post by alamble »

legendneverdies wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Don't some boards require a new member to have at least a certain number of posts before they can start a new thread? Is that a setting that you can enable for this board?
I tried to start a new thread the other day and it wasn't posted, so that may well be the case on this board.
Since we're still getting spam threads (no disrespect to the mods, of course, you're managing this site on your own time) that is not the case.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
boson wrote: I haven't seen it said explicitly here, so I'll remind everyone for the record: The Sony website that previously hosted the Jeopardy forums was hacked and your usernames and passwords to that board are now floating around on the internet. If you, like me, used that username/password on other sites you should change the password on those other sites NOW. Using the same username/password on multiple sites is bad form but I'm sure many of us have a "low security" password that is used in multiple places. After this hacking, I would consider that password "zero security".
Excellent point. I use an application called jVault to keep all my user names, passwords, etc. One of its features is the ability to generate random passwords. I simply need to remember the password for jVault (which stays on my local system) and then I can use cut and paste making a strong password as easy to use as a simpler one. A side benefit is that the cut and paste process also foils most key loggers. There are many such applications available for little or no cost, and I'd recommend that anyone not using one strongly consider doing so.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

boson wrote:I haven't seen it said explicitly here, so I'll remind everyone for the record: The Sony website that previously hosted the Jeopardy forums was hacked and your usernames and passwords to that board are now floating around on the internet.
I'm not sure if this is completely true. I went to the LulzSec website and downloaded everything they had to offer from the Sony Pictures website. My purpose in doing so was to ascertain whether my own login credentials had been compromised. I was unable to find my username among those released. Perhaps the information stolen was related to another feature of the Sony website other than the message board?

That said, I would still agree with your advice. It's probably safest to assume the information has been compromised and proceed accordingly.