SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote:Wouldn't either the Missouri or the Mississippi be the second longest river in North America? I am wondering if DoT's source considered the Mississippi and Missouri one river.
Probably looking at the Mississippi-Missouri-Jefferson system as the longest and the Mackenzie-Peace-Finlay system as #2. River "length" questions are usually trouble, anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

What with its being the lowest valued (not that I blame anyone but myself), I figured "His Fraudulency" was a companion to "His Accidency," and kinda forced "Old 8 to 7" into having something to do with Tyler's fifteen children.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:What with its being the lowest valued (not that I blame anyone but myself), I figured "His Fraudulency" was a companion to "His Accidency," and kinda forced "Old 8 to 7" into having something to do with Tyler's fifteen children.
Actually, it has to do with the commission appointed to sort out the electoral vote mess. http://www.theperspective.org/election1876.html talks about it, but essentially, what it boils down to is that in each of the disputed states, the 15-member commission voted -- you guessed it -- 8 to 7 in favor of Hayes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: A month by any other name

Post by dhkendall »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:I don’t know if this is true; it’s just another of those quaint traditional mysteries that we accept on faith.
If there's one thing I know about the Jewish people is that they do everything because it's "tradition", especially when it makes no sense. (Yes, I'm familiar with Fiddler on the Roof)
OldSchoolChamp wrote:Finally, as to this:
Paucle wrote:Growing up Christian, I recognized Easter as being a holiday that could fall during one of two months; hoping Passover had the same possibility, I went with the month that I knew fit the city part of the question.
This is because the date of Easter is tied to that of Passover, as is clear from passages such as Matthew 26:2, Mark 14:1, Luke 22:1, and John 13:1. Easter is fixed as the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox, which falls on the 14th of Nisan, the first night of Passover. It therefore varies from year to year in the same way the Jewish holidays do, falling sometimes in March and sometimes in April. But by the Jewish calendar, Passover always falls in Nisan (or Aviv, if you prefer); it’s only by the Gregorian calendar that it sometimes changes months.

I always knew that Easter was tied to Passover, in the sense that they are always in the same week, but I"m sure that one year I saw Passover as a whole month later than Easter (very late April), I thought the "first full moon after the vernal equinox rule was true for both of them, was I mistaken or can the two holidays sometimes be a month apart (and, if so, is it due to those tricky Jewish leap months?)
Vanya wrote:Oh, and OSC, you win the prize for ugliest avatar.
Uh, Vanya, I will remind you that my avatar is supposed to look somewhat like me. Because of that simple fact, I deserve the prize.
Asphodel wrote:The bad news: I got a perfecto on the Youtube category.
Fortunately, I didn't (was familiar with the Charlie video, hadn't seen it, though, and didn't know the name - heck, it took a few readings of the question to determine what was being asked), but I felt I had to take a shower just for typing Just Beiber's name in the 2 point response.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I misread the clue a bit on the YouTube 2-pointer...is "Charlie Bit My Finger" OK for "Charlie"?

Also, those nicknames were brutal. And I messed up on the D4 15-pointer (dysphasia instead of aphasia). Oh, and dhkendall, I'm so with you on the 2-pointer. (I believe I wrote next to my answer that "it would almost be worth the 1-point deduction to NOT know who he was"...)
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Still not sure about "Baby" being the most-watched video on YouTube -- I know I've done my part to make sure the CSI clip of Beiber getting the Bonnie and Clyde treatment is unsurpassed...

To borrow a line form Michael Keaton -- "It just keeps getting funnier EVERY TIME!"
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

--Pete wrote:Hi,
Peggles wrote: Did someone else play Bond?
Many people played Bond. Only Connery is Bond.

--Pete
:D
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

The YouTube category was brutal! I guessed on two and clammed the rest. More sonnet categories, please!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:Actually, it has to do with the commission appointed to sort out the electoral vote mess. http://www.theperspective.org/election1876.html talks about it, but essentially, what it boils down to is that in each of the disputed states, the 15-member commission voted -- you guessed it -- 8 to 7 in favor of Hayes.
I figured out what it must refer to once I saw the plurality of Hayes responses.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
seaborgium wrote:What with its being the lowest valued (not that I blame anyone but myself), I figured "His Fraudulency" was a companion to "His Accidency," and kinda forced "Old 8 to 7" into having something to do with Tyler's fifteen children.
Actually, it has to do with the commission appointed to sort out the electoral vote mess. http://www.theperspective.org/election1876.html talks about it, but essentially, what it boils down to is that in each of the disputed states, the 15-member commission voted -- you guessed it -- 8 to 7 in favor of Hayes.
You beat me to posting that link, as I just finished reading that page, and man that is quite a story. I like the part where they decided to create a 15-person commission to rule on election matters, then put 7 democrats and 7 republicans on it, including 2 Supreme Court Justices that leaned each way, then had the 4 justices decide on the 15th member, and they actually chose a Justice who was considered a political independent?! Would that ever happen in today's society? Naturally, the 15th man in question was immediately appointed as a Senator from Illinois, so he had to withdraw, then the Democrats had to accept the "least-Republican" of the remaining Justices, and naturally all of their rulings ended up 8-7 in the Republicans' favor. Quite the interesting read.

I myself tried to fit Martin van Buren into at least 3 of the responses, figuring that 8 to 7 could have been a reference to him being the 8th President to Jackson's #7. Then after that thinking I figured that he also could have been Young Hickory, but luckily the Little Magician was just barely familiar enough to me to steer me into putting Van Buren for that one, and once MVB was eliminated I was able to recall Polk as having a connection to Jackson. That left me completely clueless on Old 8 to 7. I thought maybe it was for an old President like Reagan, and 8 to 7 was supposed to represent the hours he slept each night. "Hi, this is the First Lady, and I apologize Mr. Ambassador, but we're going to have to cut this call short, because it's 7:45, and Old 8 to 7 has to be heading off to bed."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can someone explain what the biting thing was about? I'm totally clueless.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:Can someone explain what the biting thing was about? I'm totally clueless.
Just a moderately cute family video of a kid getting his finger bitten by his baby brother - twice, and the baby laughing. Why is it the most viewed? I think it is self-propagating, like any virus. Lots of people watched the video, others watch to see why the first ones watched. You can join in! Search "Charlie bit my finger - again"
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

barandall800 wrote:And I messed up on the D4 15-pointer (dysphasia instead of aphasia).
I didn't give either response, but I'm not completely sure dysphasia shouldn't be acceptable (assuming aphasia is the intended correct response). The definitions here and here say that aphasia involves "a defect or loss" of the power of expression or comprehension, while dysphasia involves "impairment" of the same. They go on to say that "Less severe forms of aphasia may be called dysphasia" and "More severe forms of dysphasia are called aphasia."

DoT's clue was, "An injury to Broca's area can lead to this class of language disorders, ranging from struggling to remember words to inability to speak." Can anyone with expertise enlighten us as to whether dysphasia would also fit the wording?

I agree with the general sentiment about the reversed order of the presidential nicknames. And I feel very lucky that, when trying to think of Ohioan presidents named William, I somehow completely forgot about Taft, because I definitely would have picked him as the "wobbly" one.

Also, I'd like to compliment DoT on the inspired concept of his Round 5 geography category. Maybe I'm biased because geography cats are my favorites, but ISLANDS IN THE STREAM as a category about river islands is simply brilliant, IMHO. I've got a genuine case of "why-didn't-I-think-of-that?" category envy right now!

OldSchoolChamp: That avatar is perfect!
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

As the question is worded, I think both aphasia and dysphasia should be accepted. Dysphasia actually came to my mind first, because it closer fits what I've been taught in my classes, but aphasia is the more popular term so I went with that.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I can't believe I mixed up EKG and EEG.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph. J. S. Bach had twenty, but that was because he had no stops on his organ.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dklee12 wrote:
barandall800 wrote:
and I messed up on the D4 15-pointer (dysphasia instead of aphasia).
DoT's clue was, "An injury to Broca's area can lead to this class of language disorders, ranging from struggling to remember words to inability to speak." Can anyone with expertise enlighten us as to whether dysphasia would also fit the wording?
My "expertise" is limited to a single class in neuropsychological assessment, longer ago than I care to think about. In my clinical (non-neurological) practice this kind of stuff comes up only infrequently.

That said, I've heard the term "aphasia" used forever as a grab-bag term for a variety of ailments including dyslexia, anomia, dyspraxia, many others. Never heard anyone use the term "dysphasia," although that certainly doesn't mean it isn't correct.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Paucle wrote:Based upon your information, do I infer correctly that the Christian holiday of Easter will always fall in Nisan (the Sunday after Passover)?
Calendar-wise, there is no such thing as "the Christian holiday of Easter".

I think the answer is that the Catholic/Protestant holiday of Easter will always fall in Nisan, but not necessarily on the Sunday after Passover, while the Eastern Orthodox holiday of Easter will not always fall in Nisan, but when it does, it will be on the Sunday after Passover. Rare deviations from both rules may be possible.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

John Boy wrote:That said, I've heard the term "aphasia" used forever as a grab-bag term for a variety of ailments including dyslexia, anomia, dyspraxia, many others. Never heard anyone use the term "dysphasia," although that certainly doesn't mean it isn't correct.
I don't know how commonly used "dysphasia" is, but, etymologically, it would mean changed speech - like saying words or sounds different from those intended - so it wouldn't include complete inability to speak, and would thus not fit the clue, strictly speaking. I agree that it doesn't necessarily mean it's unacceptable.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I thought presidential nicknames were a great category and not tough if you know your history. "His Fraudulency" is easy if you know the history of presidential elections - and it is inexcusable for anyone who was an adult (or close) in 2000 not to know about the 1876 election. Knowing who the Wobblies were helps to get the time frame for the president from Ohio. Kinderhook and Galena are Pavlovian clues.

I missed Polk, but I shouldn't have. I have heard of "The Napoleon of the Stump" but I couldn't remember who it was. But I took "Young Hickory" as a hint that it was the next president from Tennessee. Unfortunately, only A. Johnson came to mind, and I was sure that wasn't him. Just totally blanked on Polk also being from TN, despite his middle name and all...