Sitting in the Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

khiddy
Contributor

Sitting in the Audience

Post by khiddy »

What's the guideline on sitting in the J! audience if you're in the contestant pool but haven't yet received "The Call", and happen to be in Culver City?
Is there a rule against it?
Could it harm my chances of getting The Call?

Anyone?
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Sitting in the Audience

Post by Suze »

I can't see any reason why it would be a problem. You don't have any close contact with Trebek or the writers, in the audience. You could always email or call one of the coordinators to be sure. Don't they leave the email/phone number with the packets, so people in the pool can let Jeopardy know if they've moved, etc?
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Just don't make a spectacle of yourself.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

MDaunt wrote:Just don't make a spectacle of yourself.
How do you know me so well? :shock:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My first thought was "how'd they know you are there?" Unless you really stand out in a crowd, I doubt they'd notice you and recognize you as a pool swimmer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

There are already 10 contestants in the audience at the start of each taping day, so I can't imagine they particularly care if you want to spend time in the stands before your own taping.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Suze wrote:You don't have any close contact with Trebek or the writers, in the audience.
Unless, when he does his commercial-break Q&A, you ask him about Will Ferrell and/or Sean Connery for the 11 billionth time, and he finally snaps.
dhkendall wrote:My first thought was "how'd they know you are there?"
Yes, as far as I know, the contestant coordinators/production staff have no idea who's in the "civilian" population of the audience -- that info would stay with the ticketing/security departments.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I booked a taping ticket and got The Call, literally, days later, so it certainly didn't hurt my chances.
hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hanzz »

dhkendall wrote:My first thought was "how'd they know you are there?" Unless you really stand out in a crowd, I doubt they'd notice you and recognize you as a pool swimmer.
Actually, from what I've read and experienced, Maggie & Co.'s collective memory even about pool swimmers seems to be shockingly good. Robert remembered me eight months after my first and at that point only audition, and others have reported coordinators remembering them after even longer periods of time between auditions.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I agree that Maggie could probably glance up at the audience and call out to you by name. She's that good. Personally, I'd probably shoot them a quick email and get their approval just to be on the safe side. I know I'd do absolutely nothing to possibly risk my eligibility.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

hanzz wrote:
dhkendall wrote:My first thought was "how'd they know you are there?" Unless you really stand out in a crowd, I doubt they'd notice you and recognize you as a pool swimmer.
Actually, from what I've read and experienced, Maggie & Co.'s collective memory even about pool swimmers seems to be shockingly good. Robert remembered me eight months after my first and at that point only audition, and others have reported coordinators remembering them after even longer periods of time between auditions.
That's exactly what happened to me. When I attended a taping with a group from the Game Show Congress in November 2009, 5 months after what was then my most recent audition, Maggie spotted me across the studio and yelled "H-Bomb!" (she remembered my sobriquet from my audition), and later came to talk to me for a little bit (I was seated with a many former contestants in the GSC group, some of whom she also chatted with, so perhaps she would not have approached me otherwise). I didn't end up getting The Call, but of course correlation does not equal causality. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

hanzz wrote:
It's really good. At my audition this year, she didn't remember my name, but she did remember that I auditioned for the college tournament 6 years ago in a different state. The college audition was my one and only previous audition. I was actually a little bit unhappy about it because I still cringe to remember my terrible interview from that particular audition...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hanzz wrote:
Maggie must've been on vacation when Jeff Kirby was in again, she'd recognize him faster than the boardie did. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Maggie must've been on vacation when Jeff Kirby was in again, she'd recognize him faster than the boardie did. :)
She started working there in the mid-'00s, and so she wasn't there when Jeff was first on circa 1999.
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

dhkendall wrote:Maggie must've been on vacation when Jeff Kirby was in again, she'd recognize him faster than the boardie did. :)
Nope, that was my tape day, and Maggie was definitely there. None of us knew anything was amiss until it popped up on the boards...
skkorling
Contributor

Post by skkorling »

I dunno, Maggie didn't recognize me the last time I saw her. Granted, I've gained 20 pounds, aged 6 years, had more hair, a beard, and was out of uniform, but still. Once I told her my name, though, she remembered my game instantly. What can I say, there's only one Maggie.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

Well, I went ahead and requested tickets, and will be sitting in the audience on Sept. 26th in the afternoon. On the advice of the folks here, I also dropped an email to the Wranglers to make sure that it's OK. I'm looking forward to seeing the behind-the-scenes operation of the show!
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Maggie must've been on vacation when Jeff Kirby was in again, she'd recognize him faster than the boardie did. :)
She started working there in the mid-'00s, and so she wasn't there when Jeff was first on circa 1999.
Maggie was working there in December 2000. Not sure when she started, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Fleeboy wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Maggie was working there in December 2000. Not sure when she started, though.
Ha, whoops. Somehow I thought it was sometime post-Million Dollar Masters that she started on Jeopardy.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

I got a response from the Contestant Department:
Attending a taping and auditioning to be a contestant at the same time is OK. Enjoy the tapings if you get to come!
Sony Picture Studios, here I come!