SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: SHC Round 6 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

DadofTwins wrote:The Canadian whistle question (especially the distinctive pitch) was a reference to this:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-FFW.html

Still reviewing rugby whistles. Comments welcome.
AHH...now the pieces fall into place. Nice question (but minus points for taking away my perfecto. :cry: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

DadofTwins wrote:The Canadian whistle question (especially the distinctive pitch) was a reference to this:

Interesting. According to Wkipedia (always an unimpeachable source of information, as you know) the Fox40 is a pealess whistle (and used in basketball, football, etc.)
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

Boy I take this game way too seriously. I was going to say football, had it written and everything, then I reread the question and caught the Canadian reference. It was still something of a toss-up, but since Canada is better know for ice hocky than football, I dithered for a bit then went with it. All the angst for a 4 point question in a game that is purely enjoyable but otherwise has no concrete reward.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I figured "Canadian" was the TOM here, so, especially with the low point value, hockey was a real no-brainer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

In general, rugby officials use pea whistles.

http://www.rugbystore.com/Thunderer--Of ... _p_74.html
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As I figured, this may be the most perfectos ever in a round:

54 of the 78 entrants scored a perfect 75
The Median and Mode were obviously both 75 and the Mean score was 68.82.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

Case wrote:Enjoyed that bosun question! The first ship I was on actually used the bosun's whistle before all announcements on the 1MC, but the second ship didn't (considered it sort of declasse, I think). I know the seamen all groaned at the sweepers call, though, even years later.
My ship still uses the bosun's pipe before announcements on the 1MC while at sea, which is completely unnecessary, IMO.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Darn it! My strategy on the 3 tribes was "Whose reservations have I driven through in Oklahoma." We live in TX, hubby's from KS, we spend a lot of time driving through OK Indian reservations, most of whom were driven there from the East. Of course I screwed up and typed Crow instead of Creek. Even though there's a sign I see every time - "Muskogee (Creek) Nation". Ooh. I could kick myself...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

debramc wrote:Darn it! My strategy on the 3 tribes was "Whose reservations have I driven through in Oklahoma." We live in TX, hubby's from KS, we spend a lot of time driving through OK Indian reservations, most of whom were driven there from the East. Of course I screwed up and typed Crow instead of Creek. Even though there's a sign I see every time - "Muskogee (Creek) Nation". Ooh. I could kick myself...
Heh. My strategy was "Let's see ... Southeast ... I live in FL, so I pick the Seminoles. I went to Chickasaw Elementary School, so let's guess that one. Choctaw sounds similar, so let's hope that's a third one."
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
debramc wrote:Darn it! My strategy on the 3 tribes was "Whose reservations have I driven through in Oklahoma." We live in TX, hubby's from KS, we spend a lot of time driving through OK Indian reservations, most of whom were driven there from the East. Of course I screwed up and typed Crow instead of Creek. Even though there's a sign I see every time - "Muskogee (Creek) Nation". Ooh. I could kick myself...
Heh. My strategy was "Let's see ... Southeast ... I live in FL, so I pick the Seminoles. I went to Chickasaw Elementary School, so let's guess that one. Choctaw sounds similar, so let's hope that's a third one."
I would have thought that the Cherokee migration as part of the Trail of Tears would be near-Pavlovian. Apparently not, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm no superstar, but R6D5 is the first set of clues this SHC I feel kicked my butt!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:I'm no superstar, but R6D5 is the first set of clues this SHC I feel kicked my butt!
with so few respondents thus far, was able to scroll through to see how mine compared. You (and I) are not alone.
ej!fan

Post by ej!fan »

I'm completely clueless on robots, but I found out recently that I'm a 13th generation descendant of the 10 pt clue.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I answered "autonomous" for the 12 point question, as in a robot without external control is an autonomous one. I thin DadofTwins was likely going for an "automaton". What do you think judges?

I knew I shouldn't have guessed on the 10 point question: I knew Roger Williams was an early theologian/pilgrim in Providence, and I conflated Providence and Plymouth somewhere in my thought process.
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and bet I'm the only one named in a clue who had no clue what the answer was.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Not that it matters much, but I hope my answer "pion" will be an acceptable alternative for the BOSON clue. While gluons carry the strong interaction at the elementary level (e.g., binding quarks into hadrons), pions carry it at the level of the nucleus (binding protons and neutrons together). The clue didn't specify that the boson has to be an elementary one.
Woof

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:Not that it matters much, but I hope my answer "pion" will be an acceptable alternative for the BOSON clue. While gluons carry the strong interaction at the elementary level (e.g., binding quarks into hadrons), pions carry it at the level of the nucleus (binding protons and neutrons together). The clue didn't specify that the boson has to be an elementary one.
I can't see why it wouldn't be acceptable. The question merely called for a boson associated with the strong force, and pions (or pi mesons, as I learned them long ago) are certainly that.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Ouch. That round spanked my ass completely. And as a Mass native, not being able to remember the name of those islands near the Harbor hurts especially.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Pion / Pi meson is good for gluon.

"Autonomous" is good.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

So, was the flour gluten or all-purpose? I didn't see how you could make bread removing all-purpose flour, but had never really heard the term "gluten-flour" either, just "gluten free."