Wednesday, June 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

Did anyone else think of A Knight's Tale for the lance question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oveRD0yWE

Instage FJ for me.
amfteam4
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by amfteam4 »

what were some of the DJ q&a before and after paradise lost-milton?
yeah, FJ was pretty pathetic..latin-5 pentathlon
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Austin Powers wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Oh this isn't even the worst episode of 2013:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4048

That episode features 32 gets and everyone looked like they were being held hostage.
That Broadway category was nuts. I've seen three or four all-TS categories ever since I started keeping track of that kind of thing, but the ones I've seen previously had someone at least ring in. Not so with this one.
That episode was the perfect storm of horrible questions and mediocre contestants. In fact Christopher MacDonald pointed to the screen as it was happening and said, "You could be a viewer all your life and not see this. It would be a disaster of epic proportions. It would be... the perfect storm."
As much as I hate to, I agree with you on this, AP. The entire episode I spent saying to myself "What a Difference a Day Makes" (as sung by Dinah Washington) and cursing J for his ill-advised FJ wager. My head almost exploded in that World "P" category: 65 million sq mi and no one thinks about the size? Peru as a landlocked country? :shock: 'Nuff said. If it hadn't been for that Kids Week FJ, it would have been a bloodbath.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Leander wrote: Don't forget that after being gently reminded by Alex about starting with "p", we got Dnepropetrovsk for a city starting with P in Belarus from the champ.
I didn't see the show, but kudos to him for even attempting to say it (oh, and it's in Ukraine).
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

He didn't get it out very well.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Austin Powers wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
floridagator wrote:What an awful game.
The only reason there was even a winner is because, according to the rules, someone has to win. Kind of like when the Houston Astros play the KC Royals.
Bamaman wrote:during the introductions, my local station broke in for a weather update to let us know it was raining somewhere. (I'm serious). I was angry and cursing my weatherman, but he was done and we returned to the show while Alex was still doing his opening remarks.

After seeing the show, I wish I had missed it completely.
I mean, what the hell did I just watch. PBolivia!!? Charge of the Light Brigade by DYLAN THOMAS!??! I was rooting against him after that one, but whatever. The one day champ carousel is in high gear.

Instaget FJ.
I think the worst part is that they just all sat there with zero energy. The old lady had more pep than the other two combined.

I liked the older woman too. She probably waited a long time to get on the show and at least those two gave her a plausible shot at winning. I thought the bird in the ode was also nightingale.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Yeesh. Sometimes, you wonder how contestants managed to pass all the audition tests.

FJ was a cinch for anyone who knows the most basic of Latin or Latin-derived prefixes (or even any Romance language, for that matter). Even if you don't know numbers in Latin, there are still plenty of words in English that start with "quin" and mean five of something to be able to deduce the answer.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Johnblue wrote:

I liked the older woman too. She probably waited a long time to get on the show and at least those two gave her a plausible shot at winning. I thought the bird in the ode was also nightingale.
Yeah, well another annoying thing about these folks is that they didn't take advantage of negs. If someone says nightingale when talking about a bird in Romantic poetry, you then buzz in with skylark. Ugh.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Vanya wrote:
Leander wrote: Don't forget that after being gently reminded by Alex about starting with "p", we got Dnepropetrovsk for a city starting with P in Belarus from the champ.
I didn't see the show, but kudos to him for even attempting to say it (oh, and it's in Ukraine).
He was getting Dr. Drew Pinsky confused with Dr. Drew Dnepropetrovsk - happens to the best of us.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

thenextofken wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Oh this isn't even the worst episode of 2013:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4048

That episode features 32 gets and everyone looked like they were being held hostage.
Based on the cumulative Coryatt, today's game was far worse than the one listed above. That game at least had a Coryatt that topped 20,000. Today's game had a Coryatt of about 13,400. It may have been the first time I beat the overall Coryatt.
Yes, the Coryat is worse here, but the overall gestalt of that episode was worse. Here, the questions were pretty much all gettable, whereas that one had some hilarious stinkers. A whole category went unrevealed. The players kept going back to that horribly written Broadway category even know none of them had a clue. At one point, one of the players is a like "uh, bad day." They all looked like they were expecting to be shot.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:Also, the show cited World Book for a DD. Is that around any more?
Per the credits, isn't that still Jeopardy!'s reference work of choice?
Austin Powers wrote:"that coward Robert Ford"
Isn't that the mayor of Toronto? ;)
lieph82 wrote:Here's a question. Do you tell your family and friends you're going to be on Jeopardy if it's going to be a show like tonight?
Nah, you tell them you were on the show the day before, and say you were the guy on the left.
Cortana431 wrote:LMAO "PHILIPPINES" FOR 35 MILLION SQUARE MILES.

What a pathetic game and contestants. And decathlon for FJ, really?
As a geography nut, I have a shameful secret, I can't tell distances, area, etc. apart for the life of me. I had no idea how big 35 million square miles it, or whether that was laughably out of the question for Peru, the Philippines, or Pakistan. Perhaps they should have helped it along by tacking a "(even bigger than Australia!)" after the area, to remind people how big that is (and maybe the mention of Australia would put them in that part of the world. But then how were they to know that the contestants tonight needed their hands held?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I was thinking they'd all be countries, so the "million" didn't fully register with me. I almost said Pakistan, but clammed.
Yeah, the million had me looking for a trick, but I couldn't place it. I wasn't so much figuring countries, but, basically bigger than a bread box, smaller than a continent.
ElendilPickle wrote:Did anyone else think of A Knight's Tale for the lance question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oveRD0yWE
Secret of Evermore.

You get the Lance alchemy spell (which fires a lance at your opponent) from... Lance! And if you mess up, you can't get it (which I did the first time through, so I made special effort to get it the second time. Oh, the good ol' days when I could *replay* a 30 hour game in a week...)

But, yeah, this game just wrecked me; I think it was sucking my lifeforce out. Final came around and I horribly overthought it. Somehow I came to the conclusion it meant 5 + 4...so tried coming up with 'nonathon'...wait, that's not one, what's that women's event? (Turned out to be heptathlon.) Hate to admit it but I don't think pentathlon even came to mind. Left it blank, played with kitty cat, quietly hoped tomorrow would be a bit less draining.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

xxaaaxx wrote:
floridagator wrote:What an awful game.
The only reason there was even a winner is because, according to the rules, someone has to win. Kind of like when the Houston Astros play the KC Royals.
Bamaman wrote:during the introductions, my local station broke in for a weather update to let us know it was raining somewhere. (I'm serious). I was angry and cursing my weatherman, but he was done and we returned to the show while Alex was still doing his opening remarks.

After seeing the show, I wish I had missed it completely.
I mean, what the hell did I just watch. PBolivia!!? Charge of the Light Brigade by DYLAN THOMAS!??! I was rooting against him after that one, but whatever. The one day champ carousel is in high gear.

Instaget FJ.
Tonight was about as close as we'll ever get to Forrest Gump winning on Jeopardy!..because BLEEP happens.
Sage on the Hudson

How about Pentacostalathlon?

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

You're short-changing the clue and the Pacific Ocean: it was 65 million square miles.

opusthepenguin wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Oh, and count me among the surprised when they accepted "pentathalon." I thought the rules were that they accepted it so long as it was spelled in a way that didn't change the pronunciation.
I think that's why they accepted it. If anything, that spelling makes the pronunciation clearer than the correct way. "Pentathlon" looks like it should be pronounced PENT-uh-thlon. The actual pronunciation has a different emphasis that is very difficult to render without tossing in a schwa right after the "-ath". It's pronounced pen-TATH-uh-lon, with a very short length to the "uh". "Pentathalon" is not an unreasonable phonetic rendering. I wasn't at all surprised they accepted it and felt they were right to do so.
The above is little more than debating the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin compared with the judges' consistently accepting "coup de gras" as a response to a clue that demands coup de grace, since the former utterly changes the expression's meaning. However bone-headed and ignorant, "pentahalon" does not alter meaning or disguise intent.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Harsh, harsh, and even harsher. You know what? Rachel can call herself a Jeopardy! Champion. Jonathan can call himself a Jeopardy! Champion. How many of you can say that? And a few minor changes, and Kathy might have been a Jeopardy! Champion. Was it an ugly game? Yeah, it was. I'm just a little surprised at the vituperative nature of the ad hominem comments. These three could have played five different boards and I'm guessing no one would have said boo about their quality. Sometimes it just works out that way, and I think people should keep that in mind in their postings. To quote Mr. Kendall, "Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
As a geography nut, I have a shameful secret, I can't tell distances, area, etc. apart for the life of me. I had no idea how big 35 million square miles it, or whether that was laughably out of the question for Peru, the Philippines, or Pakistan. Perhaps they should have helped it along by tacking a "(even bigger than Australia!)" after the area, to remind people how big that is (and maybe the mention of Australia would put them in that part of the world. But then how were they to know that the contestants tonight needed their hands held?)
Just remember that the total surface area of the earth is about 200 million square miles. The oceans cover 70% of that.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

opusthepenguin wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Oh, and count me among the surprised when they accepted "pentathalon." I thought the rules were that they accepted it so long as it was spelled in a way that didn't change the pronunciation.
I think that's why they accepted it. If anything, that spelling makes the pronunciation clearer than the correct way. "Pentathlon" looks like it should be pronounced PENT-uh-thlon. The actual pronunciation has a different emphasis that is very difficult to render without tossing in a schwa right after the "-ath". It's pronounced pen-TATH-uh-lon, with a very short length to the "uh". "Pentathalon" is not an unreasonable phonetic rendering. I wasn't at all surprised they accepted it and felt they were right to do so.
Yeah, all those ath-uh-letes in the pentathlon. Dictionaries give it as an alternate pronunciation so I guess they had to accept it. But if you can't pronounce athl without a schwa in the middle, it's a sign of low intelligence (like pronouncing the t in often).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote: (like pronouncing the t in often).
Stop! You'll trigger my bruxism.

I'll never understand why the people who pronounce it that way don't use sof-tenner in their laundry.
Hamster802

Post by Hamster802 »

Can someone tell me who got the 2 daily double how much did they wager and did they get it right
jeopardy is awesome
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sienna is a name?!? That completely threw me.

Yes it is. And Sienna was a top 10 girls name in the state of New South Wales, Australia in 2007.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.