Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Bill upon finding the late DD: "This isn't my category so I'm going to make a wager with zero upside that could lock me out going into FJ!" In the end it did not matter, I did find myself rooting for him throughout the game.

Sad that the current president of South Africa was a TS.

I predict many rebounds from boardies in this game.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

American Literature
This 1884 novel begins in the fictional town of St. Petersburg & ends in Pikesville, 1,100 miles down the Mississippi.

Spoiler
What is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? Judy said Uncle Tom's Cabin; Bill said Tom Sawyer.

Tim Anderson: $15,400+$600=$16,000...now a 3-day champion with $56,001
Bill Matheny: $7,200-$2,300=$4,900
Judy Wang: $2,400-$2,399=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Golf wrote:Bill upon finding the late DD: "This isn't my category so I'm going to make a wager with zero upside that could lock me out going into FJ!" In the end it did not matter, I did find myself rooting for him throughout the game.
"And then, even though I only need $500 to break the lock, I'll keep picking the high value clues rather than try for the easy $800."

Would have been a perfect strategy if his DD wager had gone for the lock-tie. Stall, stall, stall, miss it, and go for the high value clues and hope.

Not that it mattered.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in End of the Alphabet, missing only South Africa. I knew zugzwang from Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, proving yet again that the more fun a word is to say, the more likely I am to remember it. :D

"What the heck instrument is like a harp?" Lyre was a headslap for me.

.doc, .mov, etc. are called extensions? Wow, I didn't know that, honestly. Probably because I'm a lifelong Mac user and rarely have to deal with it?

Oddly, $200 was my only miss in Rank. I had no idea what they were asking. (Judy Benjamin? Private? Huh?!?)

Total derp on Mobile. Just couldn't get Biloxi out of my head. Then misread $1000 and had myself way too far north in Florida.

"What is Galveston, oh, Galveston?" — Me

I usually do terribly on visual clues, but I noticed the horse on the front of that Mustang, and the use of both French and English on the $20 they showed.

Ran "Anti" Up.

0/5 in Monroe, but I at least knew Port-Au-Prince.

Precalled Adele/Skyfall in Bond Songs, since it was the only one I knew.

Should've just kept my mouth shut in Biology. Said collagen for keratin, brain stem for medulla, and almost said "stoma" for spore. However, I got $400 and the DD.

====

Argh. Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn? I always get those two mixed up. Doesn't matter, since I ALWAYS pick the wrong one. And I did. THE #*!$@#&*$@ING WRONG ONE AGAIN.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Picked the wrong one in FJ!, which I vote for as the poll question.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:.doc, .mov, etc. are called extensions? Wow, I didn't know that, honestly. Probably because I'm a lifelong Mac user and rarely have to deal with it?
Possibly, although OS X does use them.
Argh. Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn? I always get those two mixed up. Doesn't matter, since I ALWAYS pick the wrong one. And I did. THE #*!$@#&*$@ING WRONG ONE AGAIN.
To be fair, they both start off in St Petersburg.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

NYCScribbler wrote:Picked the wrong one in FJ!, which I vote for as the poll question.
Likely not necessary. If you got it wrong, that's almost certainly the one you picked. Are there even any other viable choices?
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Took me about 20 seconds to decide on the correct one...now could I have written it down in time?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another board that I didn't much care for, though I was enjoying the Shakespeare before and after category. The James Bond category was fun but identifying the artist just from the song titles and no other TOMs is too trivial, in my opinion. I have seen all the Bond films but the only one that I knew was Duran Duran (A View to a Kill is actually one of my favorite Bond films).

I was disappointed that Captain Beefheart was a triple stumper.

I went with Tom Sawyer on FJ, but I thought that it was going to turn out to be a Twain work that is not Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Can I assume that "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" (provided I managed to write that all in time, but I came up with that fairly early) is incorrect?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:Can I assume that "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" (provided I managed to write that all in time, but I came up with that fairly early) is incorrect?
Very much so, as they are two separate books.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
NYCScribbler wrote:Picked the wrong one in FJ!, which I vote for as the poll question.
Likely not necessary. If you got it wrong, that's almost certainly the one you picked. Are there even any other viable choices?
So I guess a book about slavery written prior to the Civil War wouldn't be a good guess for a book written in 1884?
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $56,001, Tim moves into ninth place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Maybe I'm a Grumpy Gus or something but I found this game to be very slow-moving and dull. Yawn. Also couldn't believe some of the easy questions that were missed.

And the question of what crisis took place in October 1962 and nobody got it? Nobody? My, and I even heard that a number of years ago, somebody wrote a book about what would have happened if that crisis had erupted into World War III. :D

FJ was an Instaget. Briefly considered Tom Sawyer but so much of Huck Finn takes place on the raft going down river... amazed that only one got it right.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

BADuBois wrote:And the question of what crisis took place in October 1962 and nobody got it? Nobody? My, and I even heard that a number of years ago, somebody wrote a book about what would have happened if that crisis had erupted into World War III. :D

FJ was an Instaget. Briefly considered Tom Sawyer but so much of Huck Finn takes place on the raft going down river... amazed that only one got it right.
I can understand somebody reflexively blurting out "Bay of Pigs Invasion" as I did at home -- but since a contestant guessed that and was ruled incorrect, how did neither opponent come up with "Cuban Missile Crisis"?

For me with my imperfect knowledge, this FJ was a coin flip between Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I didn't know the exact dates. I went with Huck Finn because I had the vague idea that it involved more traveling. Was relieved that I made the right choice, because on Friday I went the wrong way on a coin flip in American literature.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

BADuBois wrote:Maybe I'm a Grumpy Gus or something but I found this game to be very slow-moving and dull. Yawn. Also couldn't believe some of the easy questions that were missed.

And the question of what crisis took place in October 1962 and nobody got it? Nobody? My, and I even heard that a number of years ago, somebody wrote a book about what would have happened if that crisis had erupted into World War III. :D

I was surprised as well. I have to admit, though, that I also said Bay of Pigs for the Cuban Missile Crisis question.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote:I can understand somebody reflexively blurting out "Bay of Pigs Invasion" as I did at home -- but since a contestant guessed that and was ruled incorrect, how did neither opponent come up with "Cuban Missile Crisis"?
I had a brain lock there too. After Pigs was negged, I was like "what am I missing?"

I seem to recall reading Huck Finn in 5th grade, and I may have read Tom Sawyer too, but I'm not sure. I've never touched either since 5th grade, which may be why I get them mixed up.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

StevenH wrote: (A View to a Kill is actually one of my favorite Bond films).
That's just wrong. But to each his own.

I knew they wouldn't, but was hoping they'd ask about Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, and Moonraker.