TD 161 - Genus Edition

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 161 - Genus Edition

Post by BoK »

And here we go with another edition of Think Different(ly).

Rules:
1. This quiz is composed of six categories with two questions in each category. You must give two answers for each category. That is, you may provide one answer to each question in the category, or you may provide two answers to one question and none for the other. Your goal is to come up with the least popular correct answers.
2. A correct answer scores the number of people (including yourself) who gave that answer
3. An incorrect answer scores the number of people who gave the most popular answer (the sheep) plus the number of people who gave the second most popular answer (vice-sheep).
4. Some categories have bonus questions. If a category has a bonus, both questions in the category will have a bonus. If you answer the bonus correctly, 1 point will be reduced from your score on that question. There is no penalty for incorrect answers on the bonus. In order to be eligible for the bonus, your answer to the main question must be correct.
5. Your total score will be the sum of the scores of each question. Lowest score wins.
6. Ties will broken in the following order:
a. The person who answers who answers the most individual questions will be ahead of the person who skipped more questions. That is, for the purpose of tie-breaking only, giving answers to both questions in a category is better than giving two answers to one question.
b. Number of singletons, number of doubletons, etc.
7. As usual, you may do no outside research prior to submitting your answers.
8. As usual, you should send me your answers in a PM. Do not post your answers in this thread.
9. If you have any questions, you may post them here or send me a PM, depending on whether you think your question will give something away to other players.
10. Deadline for submission is June 12 at 11:59:59 PM EDT.
11. Have Fun

Questions

Geography
1. Name a state or territory of Australia
2. Name a bridge that connects the island of Manhattan with another piece of land that is not on the island of Manhattan.
Basically, I want to eliminate overpasses and other tiny bridges which have both ends on the island of Manhattan.

Entertainment
3. Name a song by The Carpenters that reached the top 20 on Billboard’s Hot 100 U.S. chart.
Bonus: Give the year the song reached its top position on the chart (+/- 1 year).
4. Name one of the “Five Families” in the movie The Godfather or name one the real-life New York Five Families one which they are based.
Bonus: If you answered one of the fictional Five Families, give the name of the family boss at the beginning of The Godfather. If you answered one the actual Five Families, give the name of the current family boss.

History
5. Name a Holy Roman Emperor
If you do not specify a number and there were more than one Holy Roman Emperor of that name, I am going to assume you meant the first.
Note: Some were never actually crowned by the Pope, so technically they were only Holy Roman Emperors-Elect (or something) these will still count.
Also, for a while the title was officially “Emperor of the Romans” (not holy enough I guess), but these count too. This, however does not give you license to use an emperor of the original Roman Empire or Eastern Roman Empire.
Bonus: What year did your Emperor begin his or her reign (+/- 5 years).
6. Name a current or former United States Secretary of Defense.
Note: Secretaries of War and Secretaries of the Navy do not count.
Bonus: What year did your answer start as SecDef (+/- 1 year)

Arts and Literature
7. Name a character that appears in more than one Shakespeare play
8. Name an Old Testament King of Israel and/or Judah.
Again if no number is specified, I'm assuming the first.
For the purposes of this question, Old Testament is as defined as in the King James Version. Catholic and Greek bibles include additional books in their versions of the OT, but these books are considered Apocrypha in the KJV and by most (possibly all) Protestant denominations. The OT of the KJV corresponds to the entire Hebrew Bible cannon.

Science and Nature
9. Name a genus or species in the taxonomic family Homindae. Homindae are commonly known as “Great Apes”
You may give either the common name or scientific name for your genus or species, but these will be grouped together. Genera (genuses? geni?) and species (specieses?) will be grouped separately. If you give a sub-species, that answer will be counted correct but will be grouped with the species of which it is a part.
Hint: Gibbons are apes, but they are not Great Apes.
10. Name a gas found in earth's atmosphere with a concentration by volume of at least 0.1 parts per million (0.00001%).

Sports and Leisure
11. ESPN released a study of the world’s highest paid sports teams. Name a team that is in the top 10 for either average player payroll or total player payroll (or both).
Specifically, the payroll “is calculated from base player salaries from current or most recently completed seasons [as of the study’s May 2012 release] from each sport, and excludes endorsements, bonuses, appearance fees and any other source of extra compensation. All figures converted to U.S. dollars.”
Bonus: Give either the total or average player payroll (+/- 10%) for you team. You must specify whether your guess is for total or average, but your specification cannot hurt in the main question. That is, if you are guessing the total player payroll, but your team actually made the list because of average payroll or vice-versa, your original question will still be correct.
12. Name a city that was or is scheduled to host an Olympic Games but did not or has not yet hosted that particular Olympics Games. Eligible cities are those that were awarded the games but then the location was changed, cities that were awarded games which were subsequently cancelled, or cities that have been awarded games that have not yet happened.
Bonus: Give the year and type of games (i.e. summer or winter) for your city.
BoK

Re: TD 161 - Genus Edition

Post by BoK »

Additions, updates, and clarifications will go here.
BoK

Post by BoK »

The following people have entered:

ElendilPickle
gamawire
Jasoni22
happybooker
jeffwolfe
MarkBarrett
dhkendall
immaf
WRV
CoachP
Creed Bratton
Woof
Leander
mitchparov
econgator
Peggles
JeopardyMom
Magna
DadofTwins
Rackme32
tjconn728
RandyG
Paucle
jkbrat
goforthetie
ComingUpMilhouse
Bamaman

* means please check your PM.
Last edited by BoK on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:57 am, edited 14 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For #11, I assume there are only ten correct answers and this covers all sports in one big list?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:For #11, I assume there are only ten correct answers and this covers all sports in one big list?
It seems to me that it does cover all sports in one big list, but there could be anywhere between 10 and 20 correct answers, since BoK said "Name a team that is in the top 10 for either average player payroll or total player payroll (or both)." The (or both) would seem in imply that some teams may be on both lists, but others may not.
BoK

Post by BoK »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:For #11, I assume there are only ten correct answers and this covers all sports in one big list?
It seems to me that it does cover all sports in one big list, but there could be anywhere between 10 and 20 correct answers, since BoK said "Name a team that is in the top 10 for either average player payroll or total player payroll (or both)." The (or both) would seem in imply that some teams may be on both lists, but others may not.
This is correct.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

The Carpenters?? Jeez, I couldn't even name a single song by them. Or even the guy's name. All I know is that Karen became anorexic then later tried to put weight back on too fast and died of heart failure. Oh, and that in the movie Detroit Rock City, the main character hides one of his Kiss records inside of a Carpenters album jacket, shocking the hell out of his mom, who put the record on, kicked back with a glass of wine, and got blasted with something a teensy bit different from what she was expecting to hear :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Jasoni22 wrote:The Carpenters?? Jeez, I couldn't even name a single song by them. Or even the guy's name. All I know is that Karen became anorexic then later tried to put weight back on too fast and died of heart failure. Oh, and that in the movie Detroit Rock City, the main character hides one of his Kiss records inside of a Carpenters album jacket, shocking the hell out of his mom, who put the record on, kicked back with a glass of wine, and got blasted with something a teensy bit different from what she was expecting to hear :)
Therein lies the beauty of this game. If you don't know any Carpenters songs, you can just give two answers to the other Entertainment question. And if you don't know any of the (real or fictional) Five Families, you can just name two Carpenters songs. Or if you're me, you can hopefully, in the next 10 days, come up with some combination of two of the above, since you're mostly drawing a blank at the moment. :mrgreen:

Are you sure I can't just give 12 answers to the sports questions?
BoK

Post by BoK »

jeff6286 wrote:
Are you sure I can't just give 12 answers to the sports questions?
Yes you can, but at least 10 those answers would be incorrect.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Unfortunately for me, I've never seen the Godfather, so I'm pretty much screwed for that category :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jasoni22 wrote:The Carpenters?? Jeez, I couldn't even name a single song by them. Or even the guy's name. All I know is that Karen became anorexic then later tried to put weight back on too fast and died of heart failure. Oh, and that in the movie Detroit Rock City, the main character hides one of his Kiss records inside of a Carpenters album jacket, shocking the hell out of his mom, who put the record on, kicked back with a glass of wine, and got blasted with something a teensy bit different from what she was expecting to hear :)
I don't remember anything about that movie except that parts were filmed here in Hamilton, and my niece was an extra in a scene or two.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BoK

Post by BoK »

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

ImageETY-Image
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BoK wrote:9. Name a genus or species in the taxonomic family Homindae. Homindae are commonly known as “Great Apes”
You may give either the common name or scientific name for your genus or species, but these will be grouped together. Genera (genuses? geni?) and species (specieses?) will be grouped separately. If you give a sub-species, that answer will be counted correct but will be grouped with the species of which it is a part.
Does this guy count? :mrgreen: :lol:

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BoK wrote:9. Name a genus or species in the taxonomic family Homindae. Homindae are commonly known as “Great Apes”
Does this guy count? :mrgreen: :lol:

Based on what onlookers gasp in horror when they see him ("AAAAHHHHH!!! IT'S A *SPOILER-LER-LER-LER-LER-LER*!!!") I'd say so.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

BoK wrote:8.Name an Old Testament King of Israel and/or Judah.
I'm currently using a daily Bible reading plan which goes through the Old Testament in a year. I'm right in the middle of the histories of Israel and Judah. Providential, you might say. :D
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Just the opposite for me :) The Carpenters are by very, very VERY far my favorite of the Billboard-charting musical acts to become famous since the mid-50's, and are the only such act who now is on my otherwise swing, ragtime, and Dixieland-filled iTunes list. It's many of the other categories that will give me a rough time...

As an aside, I just now reminded myself of an incident from my days in a very strict Baptist high school, which was also the time of the Carpenters' highest popularity. One day, in my art class, somehow the subject of the Carpenters came up and the teacher overheard it. "You should not be listening to that SINFUL rock and roll!!", said the teacher. This got a laugh from most of the students, to be sure. I guess with ol' Mr. Barnhart, if it wasn't a choir or The Chuck Wagon Gang, it was "sinful rock and roll" :)
BoK

Post by BoK »

Only about 12 hours to go, and there are still singletons available on every question so get those entries in.
BoK

Post by BoK »

OK, here we go.

Geography
1. Name a state or territory of Australia
Do you come from a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder?
- Men at Work
Correct Answers
Queensland (7)
gamawire
WRV
CoachP
econgator
JeopardyMom
Magna
ComingUpMilhouse

Tasmania (6)
Creed Bratton
Leander
Peggles
DadofTwins
immaf
mitchparov

Western Australia (6)
happybooker
jeffwolfe
MarkBarrett
Rackme32
Bamaman
goforthetie

New South Wales (5)
Jasoni22
mitchparov
ComingUpMilhouse
WRV
jkbrat

Victoria (4)
immaf
Woof
Peggles
DadofTwins

Australian Capital Territory (3)
ElendilPickle
tjconn728
jeffwolfe

South Australia (2)
jkbrat
Rackme32

Cocos (Keeling) Islands (1)
Paucle

Jervis Bay Territory (1)
dhkendall

Norfolk Island (1)
dhkendall

Incorrect Answers
Northern Australia (13)
goforthetie

Unused Answers
Ashmore and Cartier Islands
Australian Antarctic Territory
Christmas Island
Coral Sea Islands
Heard and McDonald Islands
Northern Territory
Last edited by BoK on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoK

Post by BoK »

While I'm putting together the next question, I have a question for the crowd regarding this rule:
3. An incorrect answer scores the number of people who gave the most popular answer (the sheep) plus the number of people who gave the second most popular answer (vice-sheep).
By a strict reading of this rule "most popular answer" and "second most popular answer" do not depend on whether the particular answer is correct. But is correct answer answer implied? If the most popular answer is in fact incorrect, should that number be used? Comments?