Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Andre's response to the $1600 Movies By Couple clue: "What is Silver Linings Cloud--Playbook?"

I think if I had said that I would have quickly repeated "Silver Linings Playbook", possibly 2 or 3 times really fast before Alex could get a word in. Based on the rules of the game as we know them, I'm not sure Alex shouldn't have negged him for that response, which at the time it happened, could have been huge. If Andre is ruled wrong on that $1600 clue he drops to $13,000, and a rebound from Tim would have given him $26,400. With the way the final clues turned out, Andre would still have easily broken the lock, but who knows how he would have reacted to the crushing blow that he would have been dealt if ruled incorrect on that misspoken response?

I'm not trying to be a dick here, and I know you are allowed to correct yourself if Alex hasn't ruled yet, but he didn't really do anything to "delete" the word Cloud from his response, he just said 4 words, and only the 1st, 2nd, and 4th made up the correct response, so Alex helpfully chose to disregard the extraneous word. I think it definitely should have been a time for Alex to pause for a beat or two and allow Andre to repeat his intended response in full.
dhkendall wrote:Took me a while to figure out what they were going for, then I got bogged down a bit with Henry VII and trying to remember the monarchs after him, then I remembered the fricking category and thought of 20th century monarchs that fit (since there weren't all that many of them), and then time ran out. I'm sure I owuld have gotten to it if I didn't waste all that time back with Hank Eight.
Ran out of time? All you had to do was make two lines on your paper, like so:
What

I I

That's all it took. I bet even Sean Connery could have stumbled onto that correct response, by accident. ;)

I'm assuming the intended correct response was second, but I'm sure they would have taken II, right? I'm trying to think of another possible FJ response that could be written with as few strokes of the pen. Can anyone recall any single-character FJ responses, such as T or L, or maybe a number like 1 or 7. Monarch or Pope clues could have responses like I, II, V, X, but I don't know if they would ever have an FJ simply asking for the number. The Archive won't search for terms of 1 or 2 characters, so I can''t think of any good way to look for FJ questions like this.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Andre's response to the $1600 Movies By Couple clue: "What is Silver Linings Cloud--Playbook?"
I heard "Silver Linings Cl—Playbook".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

We have Dr. Brown soda here. I think that it is only sold at places like Whole Foods, not at the bigger chains.

I was impressed with Tim and was ready to have him in gold for the next ToC. I am shocked that he missed that FJ clue, but I will admit that it seemed too obvious and I was worried that I may have been missing something.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

And the next two will be Third and Fifth... provided Elizabeth dies before Charles, which is no sure thing.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Fun fact, which might help people trying to memorize the monarchs:

For a great many of those names, the most recent one has an even number.

The most recent Elizabeth is the 2nd
The most recent George was the 6th
The most recent Edward was the 8th
The most recent William was the 4th
The most recent Mary was the 2nd
The most recent James was the 2nd
The most recent Charles was the 2nd
The most recent Henry was the 8th

Of course, some of those aren't especially recent.

Some exceptions:

The most recent Victoria was the only Victoria (that's easy to remember)
The most recent Anne was the only Anne
The most recent Richard was the 3rd.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Jasoni22 wrote:And the next two will be Third and Fifth... provided Elizabeth dies before Charles, which is no sure thing.
Not necessarily, as it isn't a given that the monarch will use his/her given name as a Regnal name; George VI didn't.
Leander

Post by Leander »

BADuBois wrote:
skullturf wrote:I've also never heard of Doctor Brown.
Nor have I, and neither did my wife, who worked for many, many years in Pepsi Corporate in NY.
If she worked at the office in Purchase, ask her if she ever went to the Rye Ridge Deli ;)

I lived for many years a couple of miles from the Purchase campus and saw it lots of places, but it was a niche brand.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

alamble wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:And the next two will be Third and Fifth... provided Elizabeth dies before Charles, which is no sure thing.
Not necessarily, as it isn't a given that the monarch will use his/her given name as a Regnal name; George VI didn't.
My understanding is (based on speculation, nothing official) that he is not expected to use the name Charles, because of the negative associations with the first two, but may instead go with George to honor his grandfather (and Colin Firth, of course).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I find it unfathomable that anyone could be from NYC or Long Island and not have a clue about Dr. Brown's. Almost as unfathomable as someone not liking it (especially cream soda, which is delicious beyond words -- now I have to check the basement and see if I have any in stock).

I got to the aha moment on FJ, but then was wondering if perhaps that was too obvious. Fortunately it wasn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The only Dr. Brown I know.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow. The Reformers opposed the Catholic church by teaching that "grace was a reward for this, not works." To borrow a zinger from Wolfgang Pauli, that's not right. It's not even wrong. The words make almost no sense when strung together that way. To the extent they do, the formulation completely misrepresents both Catholic teaching and the Protestant response. Luther would've punched you in the nose if you defined "grace" as "a reward for faith". Worst clue I've seen in quite some time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I find it unfathomable that anyone could be from NYC or Long Island and not have a clue about Dr. Brown's.
I have roots in both, but for whatever reason don't recall it. I'll have to ask my mom about it when I talk to her next.
Golf

Post by Golf »

skullturf wrote:Fun fact, which might help people trying to memorize the monarchs:

For a great many of those names, the most recent one has an even number.

The most recent Elizabeth is the 2nd
The most recent George was the 6th
The most recent Edward was the 8th
The most recent William was the 4th
The most recent Mary was the 2nd
The most recent James was the 2nd
The most recent Charles was the 2nd
The most recent Henry was the 8th

Of course, some of those aren't especially recent.

Some exceptions:

The most recent Victoria was the only Victoria (that's easy to remember)
The most recent Anne was the only Anne
The most recent Richard was the 3rd.
Or just memorize the monarchs back to 1066, not that difficult a list seeing as how certain segments flow easily. James, Charles, Charles, James. George, George, George George. Etc.

Add me to the list of those who haven't heard of Dr. Brown.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Or just memorize the monarchs back to 1066, not that difficult
and...TPH's head just exploded.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dr. Brown is unkown to me. The "paging" hint didn't even help me get to doctor, so a Pepper miss was off the table as well, fortunately. Alberta Peach? Don't know that one either.

I guessed McCartney for age 70 and a long list of songs. Bob Dylan was a nice get by the contestant. Getting the Heart stumper with "Magic Man" given was much easier.

Movies By Couple got me on Moulin Rouge even though I've seen the movie. I'll admit it. I'm a guy and I have Titanic and The Notebook on my DVD shelf. I think the handling of the "cloud" stumble in the middle of Silver Linings Playbook was fine with no reason to neg the response.

What do we guess was the expected/first choice response for the antifungal response accepted?

It's nice to get back on track with FJ clue solving after the botches on Friday and Monday. British and 20th c. had the numbers holding the hands of the players up the line to the current queen. Yes, it was a different kind of clue, but in 30 seconds a three time champ looking to make 40K should get there.

Nice work by Andre to find the DD, solve Audubon, and be correct on the FJ clue. His end game made up for a lapse during parts of the DJ round.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Not Jewish, not a New Yorker, but I have heard of and consumed Dr. Brown's -- I think I've had the black cherry and cream soda flavors. Haven't had the courage to try Cel-Ray.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can we poll Dr. Brown's?
Seems to be a general consensus here. Normally, I'd be for it, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of having *more* clues I can put :(s in front of. Isn't our goal 8/8? :)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Not a guess at FJ! Every time I stare at a list of British monarchs, it just dissolves into a mishmash of Roman numerals with absolutely no pattern whatsoever.
econgator wrote:"Edward, George, Edward, George Six, and Queen Liz Two completes the mix!"
For the uninitiated (and for those that need it - *ahem*):

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Took me a while to figure out what they were going for, then I got bogged down a bit with Henry VII and trying to remember the monarchs after him, then I remembered the fricking category and thought of 20th century monarchs that fit (since there weren't all that many of them), and then time ran out. I'm sure I owuld have gotten to it if I didn't waste all that time back with Hank Eight.
Ran out of time? All you had to do was make two lines on your paper, like so:
What

I I
First of all, it was still rather late (around 25s in or something), second, I was still trying to match numbers with names (and making sure there wasn't any monarch between George Six and Lizzie Two). I guess this is an embarrassing miss. :oops:

I will echo dhicton and others (good to see you, Doug!) that this was an excellent clue, and I did like the wording. I guess the returning champ was tacking it as a math or logic problem, and looking for the next number in the pattern, and, like m, forgot the category. (*shrug*, just a hypothesis.)
jeff6286 wrote:That's all it took. I bet even Sean Connery could have stumbled onto that correct response, by accident. ;)
Or deliberate, with the I I connecting to, upon wager reveal, a drawing of a penis or something like that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:What do we guess was the expected/first choice response for the antifungal response accepted?
Fungicide? I also said antifungal, so those were a few nervous seconds.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MarkBarrett wrote:What do we guess was the expected/first choice response for the antifungal response accepted?
I'm thinking "fungicide". At least that's what I said at home.