Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Onairb »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:Many haven't read it in school: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/01/06 ... ntroversy/
Maybe there's a bonus question for this week's poll: "I didn't read 'Huck Finn' in HS because it was banned by my school district.'" I suspect the number would be very low.
I actually wrote a college paper on censorship of 'Huck Finn'. Most of it was critiquing two articles; one written by someone who had never read the book, and said he never would, due to the presence of the 'n' word, the other, by a critic who at least read the book before writing about it. I focused on the latter critic, and dismissed the former for literally having no idea what he was talking about.
Thankfully, such criticism of game shows is rare('Why Jeopardy! Sucks' by Ima Neverwatchinit') :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So if this is the way they treat literature in schools nowadays, I guess they won't be showing Django Unchained in History classes anytime soon (nor Pulp Fiction in English classes).
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:So if this is the way they treat literature in schools nowadays, I guess they won't be showing Django Unchained in History classes anytime soon (nor Pulp Fiction in English classes).
I believe that's called the silver lining... ;)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

For the last several months I've frequently had the thought in the back of my head, while doing random chores away from the computer, "What was that book I read as a kid about the sister & brother who sneak into the museum and live there for awhile?" Then I'd forget about it when I was at the computer. My response to this clue was "What is Pinkweiler?" followed in my head by "hey, I think that's not quite right but isn't this the one about the museum?" which of course is correct. One of my favorite childhood books. It's cool when Jeopardy! answers my real-life questions!
I can't remember how long it's been since I read Huck Finn, but it's been some decades. Still the first thing I thought of and didn't take long to rule out any other semi-reasonable alternatives already discussed above.
On my couch I was singing "Galveston, Oh Galveston". I honeymooned there. :) It's a lovely place, but I always think of it as a town that people outside Texas wouldn't know about, unless they're meteorologists or other hurricane buffs, but it shows up a lot on J!. I wonder if they've asked about it more since the hurricane a couple years ago. I suppose I'll look that up next time I'm in the archive. (Feelin' lazy right now.)
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Haha, I have a rather different opinion of Galveston. To me, it's a run-down, dirty city that looks even worse after the hurricane, studded with ruined buildings left abandoned but still not torn down. And the ocean waters are a nasty grayish-brown that look like something akin to industrial sewage. But maybe that's just my North Texas bias showing :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ For me, it's "how the hell does a town of 48,000 not have a mall?" Even the mall in Texas City is dead.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

debramc wrote: On my couch I was singing "Galveston, Oh Galveston". I honeymooned there. :) It's a lovely place, but I always think of it as a town that people outside Texas wouldn't know about, unless they're meteorologists or other hurricane buffs, but it shows up a lot on J!. I wonder if they've asked about it more since the hurricane a couple years ago. I suppose I'll look that up next time I'm in the archive. (Feelin' lazy right now.)
Galveston certainly does have some charm, as do most barrier island communities. I know of it for a different reason, namely that my wife and I were courted by UTMB back in '01. For various reasons we chose not to relocate there, among which were the memory of the disastrous hurricane and the imposing seawalls constructed in response.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I didn't get to watch this until last night. It was dreadful. How many TS's were there? As an acknowledged history EXPERT I knew Cuban missile crisis instantly. When I heard Bay of Pigs, I did a spit take because I thought Alex accepted it. It was odd hearing a priest talking about stealing but I guess that was earlier in his life.