Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6633, 2013-06-19

Andrew Moore game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Ravi Saxena, a computer programmer from Chicago, Illinois
Henry Watkins, an actor and comedian originally from Atlanta, Georgia
Andrew Moore, a test prep instructor from Buford, Georgia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $56,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks, and welcome to our show. Well, when you spend your days teaching high-school students how to prepare for the SATs, a lot of that knowledge is going to rub off on you and stick with you. And that is certainly true of our champion, Andrew, who has been very impressive in the past two days. Henry and Ravi, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work now, shall we? This is the Jeopardy! Round, with one Daily Double in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE ARE YOU FROM? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE SPORTS MOVIE'S CAST (5/5)
BLANK VERSE (4/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
GOV. (5/5)
2 Js (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ravi: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Henry: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Andrew had $3,200, Henry had $1,400, and Ravi was at $1,000. Andrew wagered $2,500.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? $1000: If you're a Crucian, you're from this U.S. Virgin Island

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $7,300
Ravi: $2,800
Henry: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Coincidences--that's what we're gonna talk about with Ravi Saxena from Chicago. You were working at a guitar store once, and a lady came in raving about...

Ravi: Buddy Guy, who's, you know, this great blues man, and she bought his instructional video and just went on and on about how much she loved him. And a few minutes later, Buddy Guy walked into the store. So I dragged her over and said, "Mr. Guy, this woman bought your video before you walked in," so he kindly signed it and, you know, she got --

Alex: What was her reaction?

Ravi: Ah, she was floored.

Alex: Floored, yeah. Indeed.

Alex: Henry Watkins --actor and comedian originally from Atlanta, Georgia, who has gotten to do something that most Americans never get to do, and that is visit Cuba. What were the circumstances?

Henry: I got to chaperone the U.S. men's fencing team, and they needed a chaperone because many of them were teenage boys.

Alex: Ah, and what did you wind up doing with a lot of your spare time there?

Henry: I drank a lot of Cuba Libres and smoked a lot of cigars, not a lot of chaperoning.

Alex: Okay, couldn't bring the cigars home, though, could you?

Henry: You can bring two boxes, actually.

Alex: Oh, really?

Henry: Yep.

Alex: If you get to go there in the first place.

Henry: That's right.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Andrew Moore is our champion. He is from Buford, Georgia, and a big fan of the Bulldogs.

Andrew: I am.

Alex: Particularly the basketball team.

Andrew: Yeah, I personally have had season tickets for several years, and I started taking my daughter when she was 3, and she's gone with me every year since. She's now 6 and loves it, and is most entertained by the mascots rather than the game.

Alex: Aha. And she goes there dressed as one of the cheerleaders.

Andrew: Absolutely.

Alex: Same costume?

Andrew: She wouldn't have it any other way.

Alex: Yeah, when you're a Dog, you're a Dog all the way.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BLANK VERSE $1000: "I died for beauty--but was scarce adjusted in the tomb, when one who died for ___, was lain in an adjoining room"
(Henry: What is love?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $10,300
Ravi: $3,800
Henry: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ASTRONOMERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"PAN" HANDLING (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with those three letters.)
PAINTING & SCULPTURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RELATIVE-ITY (4/5)
ARTIFICIAL (5/5)
INTELLIGENCE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 12 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Henry: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ravi: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Andrew had $11,900, Henry had $4,000, and Ravi was at $3,800. Andrew wagered $4,000.

PAINTING & SCULPTURE $2000: The Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania displays art by 3 generations of this family

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Andrew had $23,100, Henry had $6,400, and Ravi was at $1,000. Andrew wagered $2,000.

ASTRONOMERS $1600: A type of this astronomical object is named for Karl Schwarzschild; his name should give you a hint
(Alex: [*], yes. "Schwarz" for "black" in German.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INTELLIGENCE $1200: Better geographic intelligence could have aided the failed 1980 Iran hostage rescue, as helicopters were disabled by these
(Henry: What is
collision with aircraft?)
(Ravi: What is mountains?)

"PAN" HANDLING $2000: From the Spanish for "long, thin biscuit", it's a long, thin cigar
(Ravi: What's a pañuelo?)

RELATIVE-ITY $2000: "Thor" co-star Stellan Skarsgard's son Alexander really sucks as this "True Blood" vampire

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $28,700 (lock game)
Henry: $12,400
Ravi: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WAR NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Andrew: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,899 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Henry: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Ravi: You've no hope of catching up... unless Henry does something stupid. So risk $2,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Appropriately, the sound of musketry & artillery is described as "a crimson roar" in this story

FINAL SCORES
Ravi: $3,000 + $2,900 = $5,900 (What is The Red Badge of Courage?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Henry: $12,400 + $12,000 = $24,400 (What is the Red Badge of Courage?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Andrew: $28,700 + $3,800 = $32,500 (What is The red badge of courage?) (3-day champion: $89,302)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $24,800, 29 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Henry: $12,400, 16 R, 2 W
Ravi: $3,000, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 30/61 = .492
Henry: 17/58 = .293
Ravi: 12/58 = .207
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BLANK VERSE $200: "What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a ___ in the sun?"
(Andrew: What is a [*]?)

BLANK VERSE $400: "The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have ___ to keep"
[Alex reads the blank as "these".]

GOV. $400: (Vice President Joe Biden delivers the clue.) Also called the NSC, this advisory body to the president on foreign & defense policies includes the vice president

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Haleakala Observatory in Maui, Hawaii.) Named by a tech journal as one of 20 marvels of modern engineering, the heart of the Pan-Starrs Telescope is the world's largest digital camera--it can capture images containing up to 1.4 billion of these units of video resolution
(Andrew: What are megapixels?)

INTELLIGENCE $1600: One who breaks down & examines an issue; the CIA has job openings for "economic", "military" & "threat" ones
(Ravi: What are strategists?)

PAINTING & SCULPTURE $800: Seen here is El Greco's view of this city -- the one in Spain, not Ohio

CORRECT RESPONSES
St. Croix
truth
Wyeth
a black hole
sandstorms
a panatela
Eric Northman
The Red Badge of Courage
raisin
promises
the National Security Council
pixels
an analyst
Toledo
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

War Novels
Appropiately, the sound of musketry & artillery is described as "A crimson roar" in this story.

Spoiler
What is The Red Badge of Courage?

Andrew : $28,700+$3,800=$32,500...now a 3-day champion with $89,302
Henry Watkins: $12,400+$12,000=$24,400
Ravi Saxena: $3,000+$2,900=$5,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amoore

Post by amoore »

Hello all,

I have lurked here for quite a while but figured that it was time to join the fray. I hope that my 2 performances thus far have caught your fancy. This forum is amazing for the both the knowledge and J! credentials of its posters and I'd be honored to contribute. I'll be in and out over the next few hours - please feel free to ask me anything.

Andrew
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Hi Andrew.

Congrats on your run so far! As a 3-time champ who likes his tenuous standing on the ToC list, I'll be giving you the stink-eye today (and/or tomorrow, if applicable). Nothing personal. :lol:

adh
whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 »

Andrew is board-hopping again, though he seems to be sticking to the 8-10 level even more than the 6 this time - maybe a product of finding the DD early? I said "troy ounce" at the bottom of the WEIGHTS & MEASURES category and gave myself credit for it; I'm assuming that a specific weight from the system should be accepted. It was a solid round for me, though I had several clams on good responses - better than bad reaches, I suppose, but it's still money I can't count.

And then I tripped and fell flat on my face again with the bad reaches in DJ - four in the round, costing me $5,600. Not that my score was going to be much anyway, as yet another fine-arts category stymies me... there seem to have been a disproportionate amount of those lately, or maybe it's just me - I get one clue here or there, but my knowledge in those fields is just too disjointed.

Nailed Final right away, but that's no comfort to Henry or Ravi, as Andrew runs away with the game once again. That pushes him very close to the $90,000 mark over the 90 minutes of his tenure so far... nice run so far by him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Could they make FJ any easier? I could only think of two war related novels off the top of my head and that was one of them. A quote from the book that includes a shade of the color in the title?

Nice game, Andrew and welcome to the board. I apologize for thinking of last year's SEC football championship when "Crimson roar" came up in the FJ answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I got a kick out of the fact that in the first round, as with other rounds that Andrew played, he went to his usual "bouncing" technique, and the other contestants tried to take the board normally. The DJ! round seemed to be the first time in Andrew's run where the opponents said "If you can't beat him, join him" and also bounced as well. (This is also the first time I've seen the entire top row saved for the end, due to the vast majority of players always wanting to take clues in order.) Andrew's brain will probably explode if he gets one of those categories that the players are instructed have to be taken in order. :)

Good luck Andrew, I've been cheering for you primarily due to you employing similar same techniques to what I plan on doing, I have confidence now that it should work well. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Where Are You From? for $200 baffled me since I've NHO "Harrisburger" and was wondering how to turn "Harrisburg" into a food word. "Michigander" was my only get of course. "Neorican" = Puerto Rico went over my head, since he pronounced it more like "NYO-ri-can" instead of "nee-o-REE-cuhn".

Jojoba was my only miss in Two J's since I wasn't 100% sure if it ended in A, E, or O. I think I had it conflated with jujube.

Oh, that "arpent" clue said "state". Totally didn't pick up on that, either.

"Megapixels" was easy, easy, EASY negbait IMO.

0/5 in Sports Movies and Government. No recognition whatsoever in the latter.

====

I got NOTHING right in Double Jeopardy! No kidding. NOTHING.

Clammed on four of the "Pan"s (everything but panatella), and many other clues just weren't connecting. How can you get intelligence from maps? Who's that guy who's Sofia Coppola's cousin, again? Who's the telescope guy? Everything else was just completely beyond my grasp, including all of Painting/Sculpture and Artificial.

And by the by, what the bloody hell did Artificial for $2000 have to with anything artificial?

====

War Novels? I'm marking this as a "no" before the clue even comes up. Crimson = red, but what war novel has "red" in it? I got nothing. I've heard of that book, but knew literally nothing about it other than its title.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Right after the FJ category was revealed, I said, "It's either gonna be A Farewell to Arms or All Quiet on the Western Front."

It was neither of those. So there are at least three famous war novels. :D

Even though I came up with those two possibilities quickly, I didn't feel great about the category. Neither literature nor military history are among my best categories.

I thought to myself during that break, "OK, Farewell to Arms was Hemingway, and I think the author of AQotWF was named 'Remarque', but I don't know if I can name a single character in either of those books. I do think they were both about World War I, though."

I then tried to think of famous novels set in other wars, like WWII, or Vietnam. Vietnam made me think of "Apocalypse Now", but "Heart of Darkness" isn't set during a war that I know of.

So, I was just hoping the clue would have some kind of hint based on wordplay or history or something. As soon as the clue was revealed, I thought, "They probably want something with 'red' in the title", and I was there. I knew the title "The Red Badge of Courage", and knew that the author's name was Crane, but I didn't actually know whether it was a novel or a short story, nor did I know what war it was set in, nor can I name any characters.

Superficial knowledge for the win!

Oh, I guess "War and Peace" is another obvious war novel that didn't leap to mind during that commercial break.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:
So, I was just hoping the clue would have some kind of hint based on wordplay or history or something. As soon as the clue was revealed, I thought, "They probably want something with 'red' in the title", and I was there. I knew the title "The Red Badge of Courage", and knew that the author's name was Crane, but I didn't actually know whether it was a novel or a short story, nor did I know what war it was set in, nor can I name any characters.

Superficial knowledge for the win!
You came up with some piece of literature related to war and wrote it down because you couldn't think of anything else and were far less than certain you were right. Then you were rewarded by your guess being correct.

Funny how that works out sometimes. Could others learn from your experience?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Hey, I tried. But I couldn't think of any war novels whatsoever, nor any book of any genre with "red" in the title. Not even Red Green's Duct Tape Is Not Enough came to mind in the 30 seconds.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $89,302, Andrew moves into fifth place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Andrew. Now that was a dominating performance. Though I'm still skeptical about how preparing for the SATs correlates to Jeopardy knowledge.

For FJ when the category was announced, I was already anticipating an incorrect pluralization of AQotWF.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

amoore wrote:Hello all,

I have lurked here for quite a while but figured that it was time to join the fray. I hope that my 2 performances thus far have caught your fancy. This forum is amazing for the both the knowledge and J! credentials of its posters and I'd be honored to contribute. I'll be in and out over the next few hours - please feel free to ask me anything.

Andrew
Welcome aboard Andrew. A very impressive performance seeing you steamrollering along... :)

FJ for me tonight was about as Instaget as it gets... if they really wanted to make it hard, they should have asked for the author as well!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

FJ! did have a time clue of sorts in that it referred to 'musket' fire.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I always mix up that book with The Scarlet Letter. So I spent the commercial break making sure I had the right book in my head. I also made sure the other book used the singular.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:I always mix up that book with The Scarlet Letter. So I spent the commercial break making sure I had the right book in my head. I also made sure the other book used the singular.
If Hester Prynne were in a Civil War book, it'd probably involve Fightin' Joe Hooker.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: And by the by, what the bloody hell did Artificial for $2000 have to with anything artificial?
A Potemkin village is a fake village, built only to impress. The phrase is now used, typically in politics and economics, to describe any construction (literal or figurative) built solely to deceive others into thinking that some situation is better than it really is. It is unclear whether the origin of the phrase is factual, an exaggeration, or a myth.

(fake=artificial)
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Crimson. Shade of red. The Red Badge of Courage. Got it.

That guy on the right didn't seem to be all that hot. I worried for a bit that he wouldn't advance to FJ!.