Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6634, 2013-06-20

CONTESTANTS
Caitlin Peruccio, a law student from Manchester, Connecticut
Tom Hanson, a Ph.D candidate in finance from Kent, Ohio
Andrew Moore, a test prep instructor from Buford, Georgia (whose 3-day cash winnings total $89,302)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Our champion, Andrew Moore, has three young children at home. But at the end of our last program, he told me he's already thinking about setting up college plans for them with the $89,000 he's won so far.
He's gonna need more than that, though. But Tom and Caitlin will have a great deal to say about it, so let's see what happens in this half-hour. Welcome and good luck, players. Here we go. The Jeopardy! round today with these categories now in play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RHYME BOSS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will rhyme with that word.)
A BIBLICAL ANATOMY LESSON (5/5)
99 (5/5)
APPOINTEES TO THE COURT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GEOGRAPHIC FOODS (4/5)
THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM (5/5) (Sarah of the Clue Crew: Where we'll learn some new things about how one man changed the whole world of entertainment.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Caitlin: 9 R, 1 W
Tom: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Andrew had $800, Tom was scoreless, and Caitlin had nothing in the bank. Andrew wagered $1,000.

APPOINTEES TO THE COURT $1000: In 1668 Charles II appointed John Dryden to this post, but 21 years later William III removed him

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $4,800
Caitlin: $1,600
Tom: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Caitlin Peruccio is one of a set of twins, but the doctors weren't able to tell your parents if you were identical twins. How...how did that happen?
Caitlin: I guess the tests were just inconclusive. They told all the twins born at that time in 1989 that, um, they couldn't tell. So I'm 23 minutes younger than my sister, but she's tried out for Jeopardy! in the past and hasn't made it on. So I have.
Alex: She hasn't, but you have. Hello. You're probably the older one.

Alex: Tom Hanson from Kent, Ohio, a marathon runner.
Tom: Yes, I'm firmly middle-of-the-pack. It's a good day when I break four hours, but I've completed 15 races and had a great time on all of them.
Alex: How did you get involved in that?
Tom: Um, I just love running, and my body just enjoys the long distance. It's a nice, yeah
Alex: Throughout...
Tom: All my life really.
Alex: Throughout your life you've enjoyed running? The loneliness of the long-distance runner.
Tom: Exactly. Strap on the iPad and go out and enjoy it.
Alex: Okay.

Alex: Andrew Moore is our champion. We discovered yesterday that you're a basketball fan.
Andrew: That's correct.
Alex: University of Georgia. But you're also a baseball fan?
Andrew: Uh, that's correct.
Alex: And your team?
Andrew: Uh, the Atlanta Braves, of course.
Alex: Atlanta Braves, of course. And you were lucky at the major league baseball All-Star game to catch one of the home runs?
Andrew: It was at the home run derby.
Alex: Derby, yeah.
Andrew: It was in 1999 when it came to Atlanta, and we were very lucky to get seats In the first row of the outfield. So that helps.
Alex: It does indeed. All righty. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEOGRAPHIC FOODS $600: Sauce bearing the name of the state seen here

RHYME BOSS $1000: 5-letter term for impure metal or waste matter generally

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $8,800
Caitlin: $3,600
Tom: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CRIME BOSS (4/5)
AUSTRALIAN CAPITALS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ALBUM COVERS (3/5)
YOU SAY TOMATO (5/5)
LITERARY LATE BLOOMERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I SEE A "GHOST" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tom: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Caitlin: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Caitlin snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Andrew had $9,200, Tom had $3,200, and Caitlin was at $5,600. Caitlin wagered $3,000.

LITERARY LATE BLOOMERS $1600: This older pal of Kerouac & Ginsberg debuted as a novelist with "Junky" when he was 39
(Who is Shepherd?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Andrew had $21,600, Tom had $8,400, and Caitlin was at $5,400. Andrew wagered $1,000.

AUSTRALIAN CAPITALS $800: This capital of Victoria was the first capital of Australia, serving from 1901 to 1927
(Andrew: What is Sydney?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY LATE BLOOMERS $800: When he was 51 Raymond Chandler published this debut novel, later a Bogart film
(Andrew: What is The Maltese Falcon?)
(Alex: The Maltese Falcon was Dashiell Hammett. [*] was Raymond Chandler's.)

ALBUM COVERS $2000: 1979: a pin-up girl splayed on the hood of a Ferrari, painted by Alberto Vargas at the request of the Cars' drummer

LITERARY LATE BLOOMERS $2000: "Post Office" hit print when he was 51; the movie "Barfly" shows him not exactly racing after success

CRIME BOSS $2000: In 2012 the U.S. govt. imposed sanctions on Kenichi Shinoda, a leading godfather in this Japanese criminal group

ALBUM COVERS $1200: 2011: Lady Gaga's body morphs into a motorcycle while her arms reach down to grasp the front wheel

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $20,600 (lock game)
Tom: $8,800
Caitlin: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Andrew: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Tom: Wager $2,001 to cover Caitlin.
Caitlin: You have the hope of surpassing Tom for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,400 and $5,398.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Since 1991 this country has had only 3 different presidents; the current one took over in 2012 for the second time

FINAL SCORES
Caitlin: $5,400 + $3,401 = $8,801 (What is Georgia? Russia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tom: $8,800 - $8,750 = $50 (What is Brazil?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andrew: $20,600 - $2,500 = $18,100 (What is Italy?) (4-day champion: $107,402)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $21,600, 24 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tom: $8,800, 12 R, 0 W
Caitlin: $8,400, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 24/60 = .400
Caitlin: 16/59 = .271
Tom: 12/58 = .207
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
99 $800: "The Mystery of the 99 Steps" is solved by this young detective
(Caitlin: Who is Encyclopedia Brown?)

THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) The multi-plane camera which gives depth to animation by the use of layers of backgrounds was used in such classics as Pinocchio and this 1940 concert movie

THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Lyndon Johnson presented Walt with this highest U.S. civilian honor, saying, "in the course of entertaining an age, he has created an American folklore"

THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Disney innovations included the optical printer which allowed the re-photographing of strips of film, a technique utilized in this film, with Hayley Mills playing both Sharon and Susan

THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) In the 1930s on projects like Ferdinand the Bull, Walt pioneered this now common tool: a series of sketches to pre-visualize the plot of a film

THE WALT DISNEY FAMILY MUSEUM $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Just two and a half months after the opening of Disneyland came the debut of this show that created celebs like Annette Funicello; the later version helped launch Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake

CRIME BOSS $1200: Captured in 1993 after decades as a fugitive, Salvatore Riina was a longtime mafia boss on this Italian island
(Caitlin: What is Sardinia?)

YOU SAY TOMATO $1600: I say this Italian musical term indicated here meaning smooth and connected

I SEE A "GHOST" $400: Idiom meaning "a faint possibility"
(Andrew: What is a ghost chance...ghost's chance?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
poet laureate
Tabasco
dross
William S. Burroughs
Melbourne
The Big Sleep
Candy-O
Charles Bukowski
Yakuza
Born This Way
Russia
Nancy Drew
Fantasia
the Medal of Freedom
The Parent Trap
storyboard
the Mickey Mouse Club
Sicily
legato
a ghost of a chance
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

:idea:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Another great game, and a few wheelhouse categories for me as well (Australian Capitals and FJ! come to mind)

I must ask Andrew, though, why he didn't risk more on the Capitals DD? Common boardie knowledge is that categories with a very limited set of answers (6, 8, or 11 depending on what is counted) require a big wager (especially with someone in as much of a lead as you were. I'm guessing you aren't nearly as comfortable with geography as I am?

Oh, with the Biblical person cutting off Malchus' ear, I assume "Peter" is interchangeable with "Simon Peter"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess he bet small to protect his lock. When he hit it, the scores were....

Andrew:$21,600
Tom: $8,400
Caitlin $5,400

There were two clues left on the board, each worth $400. So if Tom ran the board and then doubled up in FJ, his score would be $18,400. Yes, Andrew could have bet another $2,399 without hving to worry about losing the game, but not everyone is an Australian capital wheelhouse. As it was, the DD was a coin flip that landed the wrong way. Had he started at the top, he'd have gotten the DD right.

Yes, Peter is Simon Peter. how about maid-in-waiting?

I had Israel for FJ.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote: I must ask Andrew, though, why he didn't risk more on the Capitals DD? Common boardie knowledge is that categories with a very limited set of answers (6, 8, or 11 depending on what is counted) require a big wager (especially with someone in as much of a lead as you were. I'm guessing you aren't nearly as comfortable with geography as I am?
Say what? He had a lock game, why would he risk that regardless of category?
Bamaman wrote:As it was, the DD was a coin flip that landed the wrong way.
Say what? Wasn't it simply the capital of Victoria? How is that a coin flip? That's free money.

But yet, had the situation been different, a good confident player bets everything and gladly accepts the gift.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I must ask Andrew, though, why he didn't risk more on the Capitals DD? Common boardie knowledge is that categories with a very limited set of answers (6, 8, or 11 depending on what is counted) require a big wager (especially with someone in as much of a lead as you were. I'm guessing you aren't nearly as comfortable with geography as I am?
Say what? He had a lock game, why would he risk that regardless of category?
No, I'm not saying risk your lock, even I wouldn't do that in his situation. But he only had a list of 6 to choose from (I think only states were used), and 3 were already revealed. I think (I don't recall, already deleted the recording) he only risked $1000. When it's a one in three chance (the "coin flip" Bamaman was talking about earlier) he could have safely risked more than $1000, at least if I understand previous board postings on that subject. (Of course, since he got it wrong, it's good that he didn't, but, since it was "free money" or a "coin flip" at worst ... )

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Extremely tired and hungry, so I can't think.

Like, Caitlin seemed like, kinda ditzy, you know? Tee hee.

Got only $400 in Biblical Anatomy. Wasn't sure if $200 was arm, leg, hand, or what.

Angela's Ashes seemed way undervalued at $400.

No way was I getting anything in Crime or Albums. I can get songs, but don't know why I should have to know album covers. I at least had Nirvana for the baby in the swimming pool one, since I knew that the Weird Al album with "Smells Like Nirvana" spoofed it, but couldn't think of the source album.

Erato was my only miss in Tomato.

Blah blah, no guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm guessing that they went with 1991 so the US wouldn't work, although with the wording, you could almost get it to work.

Also, why is it so late ending tonight? It's 7:32 and the music is still going...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I'm guessing that they went with 1991 so the US wouldn't work, although with the wording, you could almost get it to work.
Actually they went with 1991 because that's when the first Russian president took office (and when the Soviet Union was officially dissolved).

You might argue that the US would work if they went with 1992, but you'd still be ruled wrong.

gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 »

I really enjoyed the Disney category. Pretty cool.

Russia came to mind right away with 1991 being the starting date.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

This was a good game for me, with one of my highest Coryat scores ever. I broke the 40,000 mark, which I've only done a handful of times.

J round: 24 right, 5 clam, 1 neg. DJ round: 25 right, 4 clam, 1 neg.

Picked up Lach Trash on "dross", "Yakuza", and "Candy-O".

One of my negs was me getting mixed up between the Congressional Medal of Freedom and Medal of Honor. My other neg was basically just taking a guess at a Bogart film after The Maltese Falcon was eliminated. I said The African Queen. Of course if I had known who wrote The African Queen, I wouldn't have made that particular mistake.

Watching at home, I sometimes guess more or less randomly after one wrong response has already been eliminated. Of course this can be bad strategy if your guess is too much of a guess.

When the FJ category was revealed, I thought, "Uh-oh." Current world leaders is a big weakness of mine, and definitely something to study up on in case I ever get The Call. After all, there's a relatively short list of countries whose recent leaders are likely to come up.

I had Israel for FJ. I tried to think of countries that have Presidents, and then I knew that Netanhayu was currently in office and had also been in office previously, in non-consecutive terms. I also knew that Israel has both a President and a Prime Minister, and wasn't sure which of those Netanyahu is, but I had the feeling that more generally, they have a recent history of "bringing back the old guy", as it were.

I've since looked it up and Netanyahu is actually the PM, not the President. The current President is Shimon Peres, who is also a former Prime Minister, with a time gap between his service in the two offices. So Netanyahu and Peres are both, vaguely speaking, examples of "the guy from before is in power again", as it were, so maybe Israel wasn't a horrible guess.

Sometimes when I get FJ wrong, I will instantly realize when I see a contestant's response that it must be correct. I did not have that reaction when I saw Caitlin's answer of "Russia" and had to wait for Alex to finish his sentence before I knew Russia was correct.

I knew Putin was the current President, but I had somehow forgotten that there was a "gap" in his time serving in that office. Now that I've looked it up, the name "Medvedev" definitely sounds familiar, but this knowledge about Russian Presidents had escaped me.

After it was revealed that Russia was right, I realized, "Oh, the 1991 date is significant!" I had neglected to try to extract any information out of the number 1991. I just looked at the year and thought "twenty-something years ago", but didn't try to think of countries where something significant happened around 1991. If only I had spent some time contemplating whether that exact year was significant, that might have led me closer to the correct response.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

econgator wrote:I'm guessing that they went with 1991 so the US wouldn't work, although with the wording, you could almost get it to work.
For me, 1991 was the TOM; it pointed me right at the former USSR, and from there it was easy.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With four wins & $107,402, Andrew moves into fourth place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board. I was happy go get the Lach trash on Bukowski, Yakuza, and the Burroughs DD. I thought that the Burroughs DD at $1600 was very hard and probably belonged at the bottom of the board in a ToC game. And there was no way that I was going to miss Yakuza after I said "Yakuba" at the 2012 World Quizzing Championships!

I was surprised that the Australian Capitals category was saved for last, since it was a bread & butter study category that just screamed "a DD is here!" I was shocked that Andrew missed Melbourne, but his wager was fine either way. He couldn't have safely wagered much more than $1000, so why risk a win that gives him a very good chance at making the ToC?

Italy was my first instinct on FJ, then Russia came to me with about 8 seconds left. I stuck with Italy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Say what? Wasn't it simply the capital of Victoria? How is that a coin flip? That's free money.

But yet, had the situation been different, a good confident player bets everything and gladly accepts the gift.
Not everybody knows the capital of Victoria or any other Australian state. For him (and me), it was "guess a major Australian city". He had two to choose from and went the wrong way.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StevenH wrote:He couldn't have safely wagered much more than $1000, so why risk a win that gives him a very good chance at making the ToC?
He had a $13,200 lead with $800 left in play. Assuming the second place player could get both of the remaining clues, he could wager himself down to (2nd + 800) * 2 without risking his lock win.

That would have been a wager of $4000. I think $4000 is significantly more than $1000.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: Say what? Wasn't it simply the capital of Victoria? How is that a coin flip? That's free money.

Not everybody knows the capital of Victoria or any other Australian state. For him (and me), it was "guess a major Australian city". He had two to choose from and went the wrong way.
Not everybody knows the capitals of the Australian states, but every Jeopardy contestant should considering the small number and simplicity of them. And I'm betting he does know them (considering he nailed the more difficult Perth without thinking) but in the heat of the moment blanked and blurted out Sydney knowing full well it's the capital of NSW. (much better than no answer at all) On occasion I certainly confuse Brisbane with Melbourne.

And obviously he had more than two to choose from, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra, etc.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Thought of Poland first, and then switched to the United States, which was my dad's answer.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Plactus wrote:
For me, 1991 was the TOM; it pointed me right at the former USSR, and from there it was easy.
Russia was a logical guess for me, based on the date, but it wasn't easy. :) It was basically the only thing I could come up with.

I also got Lach Trash on yakuza, dross, Candy-O, and Bukowski.