Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, June 20, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I can get songs, but don't know why I should have to know album covers.
Probably hard for someone young to imagine, but back in the "old days" we put records on the turntable and sat there listening to them while we pored over every detail of the album cover/liner notes/you name it.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I can get songs, but don't know why I should have to know album covers.
Probably hard for someone young to imagine, but back in the "old days" we put records on the turntable and sat there listening to them while we pored over every detail of the album cover/liner notes/you name it.
Albums covers, 4th US president, capital of Canada. It's all the same.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I also enjoyed the stumper with Chandler = The Big Sleep as I thought it was possible one of the challengers would guess the bird. Andrew falling for it had me realizing he has work to do. Yakuza, dross and Sydney instead of Melbourne added to places where Andrew's game is not rock solid. Fortunately for him those things aren't hard to pick up with a little study prep. Running through as many archive games as possible will help.

Caitlin was too likeable to get the trap door, but I had her winning possibility at zero when she did not get the Nancy Drew clue. Sorry, Tom should not have a chance to rebound that one.

Mickey Mouse Club for $800? E-A-S-Y Why? Because no one could miss it.

My scoresheet says I liked the Boss categories going 10/10. My geography is hit and miss with 5/5 in the Capitals and 1/5 in the Foods.

There is a reason I put some of the world leaders in the extra clues for the weekly poll. I'm not good at them, the names are important and they do come up all the time. Any clue of that type will never surprise me if it goes 0/3 or 1/3. J! contestants can know plenty of stuff, but leaders of other countries are always a good spot for weaknesses to be shown.

Of course plenty of viewers (and some players as well) pay attention to worldy events and will have an easier time with such clues. Applause. I'm in the club guessing Israel although when Caitilin's Russia was shown I knew it was right and that yes, Putin had returned. Little comfort at that point of course.

Imagine if Caitlin had been able to get in first for koala. She was trying. Unlike Tom she may have gone to Australia and found the DD. She bet $3000 on her DD when others might have bet the standard 2000, so late let's give her 5000 for the bet. Stretching the scenario more she comes up with Melbourne. 10400 entering FJ against Andrew's 20600 could have given her the victory with the sole solve on Russia. Andrew had the lock and clearly outplayed Tom and Caitlin, yet the result could have been different with only minor changes in game play.

Yes, there are comments about Andrew on the Sony board. If you are so inclined visit TWOP as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Toronto and James Monroe, what's so hard about that?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:I hate him because he's a Braves fan, but as my Mets just beat him 3 of the last 4, that tempers the hatred a tad
Yes, just strategically ignore the first game of that 5 game series. ;)
Actually, him being a Braves fan made me like him a little more, from the sympathy factor. It's not easy rooting for America's Also-rans.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote:
No fair! You wrote something down! Clam! CLAM!!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:
econgator wrote:I hate him because he's a Braves fan, but as my Mets just beat him 3 of the last 4, that tempers the hatred a tad
Yes, just strategically ignore the first game of that 5 game series. ;)
Actually, him being a Braves fan made me like him a little more, from the sympathy factor. It's not easy rooting for America's Also-rans.
Had Mark Richt used better time management at the end of the SEC championship last year, I'd really be hating Andrew. :twisted:
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote:

Toronto is a capital but not the country's.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Until very recently, I had no idea that the capital of Quebec was Quebec. Talk about confusing. At least I'm able to remember Ottawa is the capital of Canada thanks to their hockey team.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Also, sometimes people from the US or Mexico or Australia don't realize that Ottawa is located in one of the provinces (Ontario), as opposed to being located in a stand-alone federal district.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

CyrusChan wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote:Albums covers, 4th US president, capital of Canada. It's all the same.
Toronto is a capital but not the country's.
If you're going to fix one of Bama's intentional errors, why not both?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I always thought Tabasco was purely associated with Avery Island... oops!

Another strong game from Andrew, nice bunch of locks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That was a humiliating miss for me, since I love Tabasco sauce so much that I'll drink it straight. But it didn't click as a Mexican state.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:I'm guessing that they went with 1991 so the US wouldn't work, although with the wording, you could almost get it to work.
Actually they went with 1991 because that's when the first Russian president took office (and when the Soviet Union was officially dissolved).

You might argue that the US would work if they went with 1992, but you'd still be ruled wrong.
Thnx, I just saw the episode and came to ask this very question. That explanation makes sense. I admit, I put USA when playing at home :)
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jasoni22 wrote:Until very recently, I had no idea that the capital of Quebec was Quebec. Talk about confusing. At least I'm able to remember Ottawa is the capital of Canada thanks to their hockey team.
Wait! Having a hockey team makes them a capital? Or are you referring to their name, the Ottawa Capitals? No. That can't be it. I'm so confused.

But anyway, if I were like mbclev and let these things weigh on me for years and years, I would have called the Ottawa hockey team the Hamilton Timbits (one of the frontrunners for most popular name to give the team when Hamilton had all pieces in place for an expansion franchise and Ottawa had none).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Amoore, are you taking questions today?

You seem to be very fast on the buzzer. My question to you or anyone else who's played the game is, do you have any tips or strategies for effective buzzing?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:I'm guessing that they went with 1991 so the US wouldn't work, although with the wording, you could almost get it to work.
You might argue that the US would work if they went with 1992, but you'd still be ruled wrong.
Thnx, I just saw the episode and came to ask this very question. That explanation makes sense. I admit, I put USA when playing at home :)
You are not familiar with the U.S. and its presidents? The U.S. has had 4 presidents since 1991 with no president taking over for another (nor starting a new term) in 2012. Wrong on two counts.

ETA: But I already said that. I guess you didn't read the thread yet.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Plactus wrote:

I also got Lach Trash on yakuza, dross, Candy-O, and Bukowski.
Question - what does lach trash mean?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Question - what does lach trash mean?
http://www.j-archive.com/help.php#lachtrash

Brian

ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

bpmod wrote: Thnx, I just saw the episode and came to ask this very question. That explanation makes sense. I admit, I put USA when playing at home :)
You are not familiar with the U.S. and its presidents? The U.S. has had 4 presidents since 1991 with no president taking over for another (nor starting a new term) in 2012. Wrong on two counts.

ETA: But I already said that. I guess you didn't read the thread yet.

Brian
Didn't go through every response, but missed the part about taking over for someone.