Wednesday, July 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alamble wrote:
whammy007 wrote: Decent but unspectacular game for me, though I did run Crossword Clues and the four shown Superhero Alter-Egos.
Anyone but me spit out Oracle on the Barbara Gordon clue before realizing they were aiming for Batgirl?
Sorry, but to me, Barbara will always be Batgirl.

Was wondering if anyone would just say "Arrow" for "Green Arrow" in that category due to the popularity of the CW series. Needless to say, I ran the category (at least what they showed).
harrumph wrote:For FJ I couldn't get off "drawing" and went with Thurber... upon the reveal I was mortified by my brain fart/cramp.
I guess that's your world (and welcome to it!) :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Prima facie facetiousness

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
shayes wrote:have never found the need to post until reading yesterday's discussions- specifically from Jeopardy Lover and his offensive demand. Were you born with extreme temerity, or did you acquire that trait somewhere in life?
What I think people are getting slow at is picking up on facetious posts.
Seriously?
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Onairb wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Ben is one of the most impressive champs I've seen in a long time. Has he missed more than one DD? As for that woman on the end WHOSE story was about Burning Man, I loved when Alex then asked the other woman if she would do whatever "exciting" thing had just been talked about. "No..."
I'm sorry, but after her 18,000th consecutive utterance of , 'Why don't we try... the next clue... where I will... completely suck?', I was ready to impale her with one of her Burning Man 'cool burny-spinny stick' thingies.
For the love of all that is holy, future contestants, when asked to select a category, say "Name of category, dollar amount'. That's all. DO IT. :x
I understand why people might have been annoyed by her, but I found it a bit refreshing to see someone inject even a tiny bit of personality into the game, rather than approaching it like an automaton.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

I actually liked the 'personality' she showed in her contestant chat story, and I don't mind a very quick wisecrack or exchange with Alex between clues(not like the game ever turns into 'Hollywood Squares' in that regard), but her selection technique was nothing more than another way to slow down/stall, and therefore reveal fewer clues. It seemed like the pauses got longer each time she did it.
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

alamble wrote:
whammy007 wrote: Decent but unspectacular game for me, though I did run Crossword Clues and the four shown Superhero Alter-Egos.
Anyone but me spit out Oracle on the Barbara Gordon clue before realizing they were aiming for Batgirl?
Actually, I yelled out both.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

harrumph wrote:For FJ I couldn't get off "drawing" and went with Thurber... upon the reveal I was mortified by my brain fart/cramp.
You want mortification? Go with my answer - James Joyce. Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man, anyone? Sheesh. :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ElendilPickle wrote:
You want mortification? Go with my answer - James Joyce. Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man, anyone? Sheesh. :oops:
At least you didn't say Picture of the Artist As a Young Man.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

alietr wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
At least you didn't say Picture of the Artist As a Young Man.
Well played!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
Maybe we should have a poll question for "I got a concussion banging my head on the wall after missing the Dr. Seuss FJ".
That'd be good. I so rarely get to check boxes on the poll.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Maybe we should have a poll question for "I got a concussion banging my head on the wall after missing the Dr. Seuss FJ".
That'd be good. I so rarely get to check boxes on the poll.
There's always at least one box to check.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I bumped Ben from gold to silver after this game - but then he's probably tired at this point.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

BTW I thought those last two in bald actresses were a classic example of too much difficulty in the name of keeping a category theme viable.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Austin Powers wrote:BTW I thought those last two in bald actresses were a classic example of too much difficulty in the name of keeping a category theme viable.
Oh, dis-TRESS. I only just now got it.

(I guess I didn't look closely enough at the way the category name was written.)
RunDMH

Post by RunDMH »

John Boy wrote:
KeithAR2002 wrote:Just as I said about Drew Horwood, anyone who can win eight games on Jeopardy! has to be pretty good... Sure, Ben isn't hugely dominant, but who says ever multi win champ MUST be? I don't know why, it just bugs me when some try to marginalize a contestant's success on the show. Both Ben and Drew have made it much, much farther than most of us have or will, and that fact alone is enough to tip your hat to them. Not every big champ HAS to wager gigantic on DDs, or have huge runaway games every time. Ben has done well in part due to his buzzer speed, and that's part of the game... He's out buzzing his opponents. Not his fault nor was it Drew's fault when his opponents can't ring in fast enough. I hope he keeps going and going, he's refreshing, not annoying really, and I enjoy watching him. Seems like a nice guy, just as Drew seemed genuinely nice. Perhaps that's why people on here were a bit ho-hum about both of them?

Anyway, that's just my two cents, I don't share my "two cents" very often here, but I wanted to say something positive about the champ. Take care, everyone!
Agreed. You might just as well "complain" that Ben hasn't won 74 games, or that he's not as cute as Larissa, or that he's not as charismatic as some other champs. But for goodness sake, he's won 8 games and is top-10 all time in regular-season winnings. I say "great run" (and I'd love to see it continue) and all props to the guy.

P.S. I ASSUME that they would have accepted "Who was Theodore Geisel?" for this FJ, since it was he and not his alter ego who was the Ph.D. student, yes? I was a tiny bit surprised to see all three give his nom de plume.
I just wish I had the glorious handlebar mustache of Frank Spangenberg...

It's nice to finally hear some nice words about me on here. You'd think I cheated my way through my games based off some of the comments. I've been a lurker for a while but got out of watching the show after my run ended. Recently though it's been fun watching Andrew Moore get close and Ben pass me. Looking forward to facing off against them in the ToC!

--Drew Horwood
They don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~ Oscar Gamble
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

For some reason seeing illustration and a self imposed title of doctor made me think of Audobon. Oh well.
Otherwise a great game, picked up tons on lach trash in DJ. Lincoln park was easy as thats the only really renowned park in chicago. The comic book stuff was great as was Nelly Bly.
Would love to see Ben vs Andrew Moore somewhere down the line. That jumping around the board could be fun.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

RunDMH wrote:I just wish I had the glorious handlebar mustache of Frank Spangenberg...

It's nice to finally hear some nice words about me on here. You'd think I cheated my way through my games based off some of the comments. I've been a lurker for a while but got out of watching the show after my run ended. Recently though it's been fun watching Andrew Moore get close and Ben pass me. Looking forward to facing off against them in the ToC!

--Drew Horwood
Welcome to JBoard, Drew! It's nice to see you here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RunDMH wrote:It's nice to finally hear some nice words about me on here. You'd think I cheated my way through my games based off some of the comments.
Aw, come on. It hasn't been that bad, has it? You did get a lucky break with your win from third in that first game. And you have to see the humor in OKlibrarian's comment afterwards: "I agree that none of the contestants exactly seemed like ToC potential based on today's play. (now watch Drew go on a 5+ game tear...)". Dude, I dream of being made fun of for a run like yours.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alamble wrote:
Not here...sad that I didn't think of it, but that level of depth is beyond me.

Final, insta.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
KeithAR2002
Contributor

Post by KeithAR2002 »

RunDMH wrote: I just wish I had the glorious handlebar mustache of Frank Spangenberg...

--Drew Horwood
Great to see you here, Drew, and thanks for acknowledging my post! I hated seeing you lose your eighth game. My wife and I truly thought you were a very nice guy. It was very refreshing to have someone like that as a J! Super champ. I'll be rooting for you in the ToC. And yes, regarding all the comments about you, like "can't believe this guy is now an 8 day champ" and crap like that, I don't really know why, but that kind of talk really makes my blood boil. I always thought "well when you get on Jeopardy!, and go on to win a bunch of games in a row, then, MAYBE you can complain about a champs abilities." I know many like aggressive gameplay, the board hopping, huge DD wagers, etc... But not all have to be like that. You won eight games because you had a wide knowledge base, you didn't wager big on DDs unless you were trailing, such as you did on that infamous "Double N" category. Why wager big on DDs if you're leading by an ok margin? I mean, it's just IMHO, of course..

Anyway, thanks for replying to my post, and take care. We'll be rooting for you in the ToC from Arkansas!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

KeithAR2002 wrote: Anyway, thanks for replying to my post, and take care. We'll be rooting for you in the ToC from Arkansas!
The next ToC is going to be in Arkansas?