Thursday, July 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6649, 2013-07-11

Ben Ingram game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Mark Japinga, a legislative researcher from Washington, D.C.
Dawn Owens-Nicholson, a data and statistics consultant from Champaign, Illinois
Ben Ingram, an I.T. consultant originally from Florence, South Carolina (whose 8-day cash winnings total $176,534)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. I'm gonna start today's program with the same way I ended yesterday's program. And that is, will our champion, Ben, be able to reach the $200,000 mark at the end of today's show? Well, Dawn and Mark are going to have a great deal to say about that. Let's see how it works out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And, today, these categories...
We want you to name the war
as we provide...
Alex:
All right, ben.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE AM I? (5/5)
SET SAIL FOR THE MOVIES (5/5)
WAR STORIES (5/5)
POKER WORDS (4/5)
THE LAW (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GET YOUR "J.D." (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 18 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: 5 R, 0 W
Dawn: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $5,000
Mark: $3,400
Dawn: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mark Japinga is from Washington, D.C., but he was raised where?

Mark: In Holland, Michigan.

Alex: Holland, Michigan. And...wait a minute --isn't that a place where the high-school band wears wooden shoes?

Mark: It is. So, you know, you put on about six, seven pairs of socks, and it's basically like walking in normal shoes. [ laughter ] But we march down the street. There's an elaborate routine to "Tiptoe Through the Tulips." There's kicking...um--

Alex: It's easy to tell when this band is coming, isn't it...

Mark: Definitely.

Alex: If you're walking down the street?

Mark: Yes.

Alex: The silent routine.

Mark: We're encouraged to make noise, in fact, with the shoes.

Alex: Absolutely. Well, that's good. You had a lot of fun, obviously.

Mark: Yeah.

Alex: Good.

Alex: All right, Dawn Owens-Nicholson is from Champaign, Illinois. Dawn, you and I have something in common.

Dawn: What?

Alex: This past year, I helped fund a school in Uganda.

Dawn: That's fabulous.

Alex: And I understand you're working in Uganda to help young girls?

Dawn: We are --to help girls stay in school in Uganda. We're at remote villages there, and we're trying to find ways that will help keep them in school.

Alex: Yes, keep up the good work.

Dawn: Thank you.

Alex: Ben Ingram is our champion. He's earned a lot of money, but he still is helped by other people. What's this about an elderly lady helping you when your car broke down?

Ben: It broke down out in the country near Chapin, South Carolina, and I was out of cellphone range, and a lovely lady, who said she was 60 but did not look that old, took me back to her place so I could use the phone. It took long enough for the tow truck to come around so that we could watch Jeopardy! together. And I hope she's watching now.

Alex: And by the end of that day she had adopted you. Is that it?
[ laughter ]

Ben: Something like that.

Alex: Something like that, okay. Hello.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Ben had $5,000, Dawn had $1,600, and Mark was at $3,400. Ben wagered $1,600.

THE LAW $800: Oddly, this term for a trial postponement comes from the Latin for "uninterrupted"
(Ben: What is an adjournment?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POKER WORDS $1000: A steep cliff
(Alex: And I always get in trouble when I try to [*]. Never works for me.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $7,800
Mark: $3,600
Dawn: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
19th CENTURY NOVEL QUOTES (5/5)
ANNIVERSARY GIFTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We'd like you to name the traditional material given for a particular year with [*].)
WORLD HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MORE THAN AN ATHLETE (5/5)
A "BAR"RAGE OF CLUES (3/3)
CURRENT U.S. SENATOR BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Dawn: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ben: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Ben had $8,200, Dawn had $2,200, and Mark was at $3,600. Ben wagered $3,000.

WORLD HISTORY $1200: The 1st planned convict settlement in Australia was at this bay named for its abundance and variety of life

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dawn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Ben had $12,000, Dawn had $11,800, and Mark was at $11,600. Dawn wagered $10,000.

ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $2000: 40th:
A "pigeon's blood" one of these
(Dawn: Well, I might be crazy, but I'm gonna bet $10,000.)
(Alex: Oh, Dawn...
You got it!)
(Dawn: Oh! Wow.)
(Alex: Way to go!
$21,800.)
(Dawn: I'm crazy.)
(Alex: And you must forgive me. That might've been interpreted as being cruel on my part, but I was just so delighted for you. Way to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $1200: 15th:
These items sometimes used in Reiki healing

ANNIVERSARY GIFTS $800: 5th:
A traditional Czech marionette
(Dawn: What is paper?)

WORLD HISTORY $2000: The legendary wealth of this king in what's now Turkey didn't help in 546 B.C. when the Persians defeated him

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dawn: $21,000
Mark: $15,600
Ben: $14,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dawn: Wager $10,201 to cover Mark.
Mark: You ought to wager to cover Ben, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $15,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $13,200 (to shut out Ben) or less than $4,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Ben). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dawn.
Ben: Consider risking between $1,201 and $3,600. This will top a $0 wager by Mark while still beating Dawn on the Triple Stumper (should Dawn wager to cover Mark's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This piece that premiered in Moscow in 1882 includes strains from "God Save the Czar" & "La Marseillaise"

FINAL SCORES
Ben: $14,400 + $3,600 = $18,000 (What is the 1812 Overture?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mark: $15,600 + $15,599 = $31,199 (What is the 1812 Overture) (New champion: $31,199)
Dawn: $21,000 - $0 = $21,000 (What is I have no idea) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mark: $15,600, 16 R, 0 W
Ben: $14,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Dawn: $13,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ben: 26/60 = .433
Mark: 17/58 = .293
Dawn: 12/59 = .203
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHERE AM I? $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm in Bethel, New York, where this event took place
in 1969; the nearby town for which the event was named refused to give permission

WHERE AM I? $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm in this city at the arena named for one local hero, Joe Louis, with the statue of another,
Gordie Howe

WHERE AM I? $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) California's boy scout Camp Winton is near a gold-bearing area
called "the Mother Lode" in the foothills of this mountain range

WHERE AM I? $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) I'm on 152nd street at the famed dance theater of this part of Manhattan

WHERE AM I? $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.
) I'm experiencing this state in Jean Lafitte National
Historical Park and Preserve

GET YOUR "J.D." $1000: This term for a witty literary work means "game of spirit"
(Dawn: What is joie de vivre?)

MORE THAN AN ATHLETE $2000: This former pitching great and anti-A.L.S. crusader also founded 38 Studios, a video-game company

A "BAR"RAGE OF CLUES $1200: Adjective for crude & uncivilized practices
(Ben: What is barbarism?)

19th CENTURY NOVEL QUOTES $1200: "Miss Havisham was alone. 'Well?' said she, fixing her eyes upon me. 'I hope you want nothing? You'll get nothing"'
(Ben: What is Oliver Twist?)

MORE THAN AN ATHLETE $400: (Dan Patrick delivers the clue.) He turned down a $3.6 million contract from the Arizona Cardinals & later became a member of the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment

WORLD HISTORY $400: The 1948 airlift to this capital city was designed to thwart a Soviet blockade
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
continuance
bluff
Botany Bay
ruby
crystals
wood
Croesus
the 1812 Overture
Woodstock
Detroit
the Sierra Nevada
Harlem
Louisiana
jeu d'esprit
Curt Schilling
barbaric
Great Expectations
(Pat) Tillman
Berlin
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Classical Music
This piece that premiered in Moscow in 1882 includes strains from "God Save the Czar" & "La Marseillaise".

Spoiler
What is The 1812 Overture? Dawn said "I have no idea".

Dawn Owens-Nicholson: $21,000-$0=$21,000
Mark Japinga: $15,600+$15,599=$31,199...now a 1-day champion with $31,199
Ben Ingram: $14,400+$3,600=$18,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 »

Gutsy move by Dawn on that Daily Double... shame it ended up not panning out for her in Final. That and her performance in the 19th-century Novels category really seemed to bring her out of her shell - she went from top-downing to DD-hunting like the gentlemen, jumping in at the 12-level and striking gold.

Great match by all three, and fun to watch... pity my affiliate had to have transmission issues that had the signal breaking up through most of the broadcast. :x
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Why have the archivists not posted this game yet? It's almost 10 PM in London.
Jeopardy lover
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Jeopardy lover »

Agreed. Archivists really need to have these games up by 4et every day. Not that hard
whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 »

...you do realize that at 4PM Eastern, the program hasn't even AIRED for most people? I get it at 3 Central (which would be 4 ET), and that time seems to be one of the earlier ones out there. Granted, there are a few affiliates which air in the morning, but they're pretty few and far between - the majority of folks won't see the program for another couple hours yet.

I wouldn't mind helping out the archivists if I could (though right now I don't have a guaranteed recording device), but they seem to have things well enough in hand and don't deserve to be put upon like this. [/soapbox]

Sorry if this sounds like backseat moderating, but being one of the folks that has helped recap and archive Wheel of Fortune episodes on another board, I know the amount of work that goes into keeping all the records straight and the folks that do so deserve a little bit of respect.
Jeopardy lover

Post by Jeopardy lover »

What is your affiliate that u get it so early? U should start archiving them.
KeithAR2002
Contributor

Post by KeithAR2002 »

I'm in Chicago this week, and J! comes on at 2:30 here. But back home, it comes on at 11AM on one station, 4:30 on another station in another market... Both times central (KATV, Little Rock at 11AM, 4:30 on both Louisiana stations I receive on cable). I usually watch the NYC WABC feed on Directv when home, though.. And it comes on at 6PM my time.

I understand the archivists have a life outside of this board, so take your time :-)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Jeopardy lover wrote:What is your affiliate that u get it so early? U should start archiving them.
I *am* an Archivist, who gets it rather early (4:30 Central on KARE Minneapolis). However, my schedule doesn't allow me to do Archiving until Saturday afternoon at the earliest. Why? Because I, and the rest of the fine people on the team are volunteers. VOLUNTEERS. Which means we don't get paid. We do this in our spare time because we love Jeopardy! We sure as hell don't do this for you, but for the community at large. The appreciative community. We don't even have to do this, you know.

And there hasn't even been any complaints from either the board or those that run the archive (and "hired" us) about how late some of us (like Saturday afternoon me, who gets the show earlier than most) do our archiving. Because they realize we are doing this as a service for free.

Tell you what, "Jeopardy lover". You pay me, and I guarantee that I will archive my games right after the show airs. Otherwise, don't complain about things that people do out of the goodness of their heart, or they might stop doing it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RunDMH

Post by RunDMH »

I always enjoy the amusing "Before and After" clues more than the tough ones. The potential for comedy in these is simply too great. "Dirty Harry Reid" made me crack up.

Strong games by the challengers, but I'm excited to see what Ben can do now in the ToC.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~ Oscar Gamble
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

(Looks at watch). Seriously, guys - it's past midnight in Astana and I don't see anything up?!?
backwardscap

Post by backwardscap »

I didn't know this Message Board had archives of the game. Can someone give me a link? Thanks!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

backwardscap wrote:I didn't know this Message Board had archives of the game. Can someone give me a link? Thanks!
J! Archive is mentioned at the bottom of every page on this board (and has been going strong for almost ten years, technically longer than this incarnation of the board (about two years)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

GREAT game by all three contestants! I was especially pleased to see Dawn's very gutsy DD wager.

I had one of my best DJ rounds ever, missing only three clues. I *almost* got Jim Brown, and I realized afterwards: the fact that the man's name is Brown explains why the clue said "Cleveland" but not "Browns". (I got Croesus partly because in an early Simpsons episode, Mr. Burns lives on the corner of Croesus and Mammon.)

I thought I would do terribly in Anniversary Gifts, but I went 5 for 5. There was enough extra information in the clues that I could tease out the correct responses.

When the FJ category was revealed, I muttered "Oh no" to myself. Classical music is not one of my strong points.

However, I managed to piece it together. I thought: It's probably a piece related to war somehow. "The 1812 Overture" qualifies. And the composer was Russian, so premiering in Moscow seemed believable. I didn't actually "know" any of this, but it seemed plausible. And in those short seconds, I couldn't remember enough about European history to remember exactly who was fighting who in 1812, but allusions to both France and Russia "sounded right".

I find a lot of FJs are like that: it's about "sounding right" in an overall kind of way, even if you aren't sure on all of the details.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

backwardscap wrote:I didn't know this Message Board had archives of the game. Can someone give me a link? Thanks!
http://www.j-archive.com/

Well, I complained about it yesterday, and J! responded, better challengers, coming right up!

"I can't remember the last time a challenger hit a DD and not Ben"...didn't it happen on Tuesday?
"Challengers have been giving Ben a run for his money (something like that)"...was I watching different games this week?

I managed to miss continuance. Back to TV law school :oops:

Instaget FJ. Might've been harder if they had left out Le Marseillaise, but not by much.

This is the part where I would've lamented that gutsy 10K wager going for naught, but wtf? How does someone "crazy" enough to nearly go TDD turn around and bet ZERO in FJ, with the LEAD!??! AARRGGGHH.

Sorry to see Ben go. I may have had my doubts about him, but you don't get to 8 days solely on luck. See you in the TOC!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

"I have no clue" and other FJ responses of that sort make me grit my teeth at the best times, but seeing one tonight with a fairly limited field of likely answers was unbelievable. The clue pointed to a Russian piece, and you can count on one hand the pieces mostly likely to appear.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote: Instaget FJ. Might've been harder is that had left out Le Marseillaise, but not by much.
Insta here as well, partly because the 1812 Overture is one of my favourite classical pieces (partly for that reason).
xxaaaxx wrote: This is the part where I would've lamented that gutsy 10K wager going for naught, but wtf? How does someone "crazy" enough to nearly go TDD turn around and bet ZERO in FJ, wth the LEAD!??! AARRGGGHH.
I think she went "Oh, yuck, classical! I don't know anything about that! Time to bet zero!" And that thinking (I'll call it "Hammerlogic") permeated her thinking during the Think music: "I don't know anything about classical music! I'm not going to try!"

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game! I loved the female contestant's DD wager in the DJ round! Bravo!

I thought that I would do well in DJ when I saw the categories but this turned out not to be a very good board for me. The writers have not been kind to me with these recent boards.

FJ was a great clue. Unfortunately, I dismissed the correct response for reasons that I am not sure of. For some reason I had thought for sure that it was something by Borodin.

Ben looked like he ran out of gas against contestants who were better than most of the ones that he had faced. I knew that he was done when the FJ category was revealed. I thought that he would have a good chance of getting it, but I felt pretty confident that it would not be a single get. I also thought for sure that the female contestant would know her classical music, since she was all over the literature and art clues. I guess that her FJ wager said otherwise.

With the next ToC field as it is now I would say that Ben is gold. Heck, he might even be the favorite. But if the next field turns out to be even average then I don't see him higher than silver.

Congrats to Ben on becoming only the eighth person to win 8 regular games of J!, and for the FJ record thing! Best of luck to him in the ToC!
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Austin Powers wrote:Why have the archivists not posted this game yet? It's almost 10 PM in London.
What *are* you on about? It's only 8:10 pm in London!

;)

My commentary on tonight's game in one word:

Whoa!