Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6209, 2011-09-22

Justin Sausville game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Brian Lehman, a communications manager from Washington, D.C.
Anne Kenney Chaplin, a housing court judge from Truro, Massachusetts
Justin Sausville, a urologist from Baltimore, Maryland (whose 5-day cash winnings total $117,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. You know, summer vacations are great, but I can't tell you how excited I am to be back working in this first week of our 28th season of Jeopardy! shows, particularly since I've enjoyed the company of our young champion here, Justin, who has performed brilliantly. So, Anne, and Brian, you're gonna have to perform at your very best to replace him as champ. But good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO (4/5)
HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION (5/5)
WHOM DID SHE PORTRAY? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PAN & POT POURRI (5/5)
FIRST NAME PHRASES (4/5)
STRAIT AHEAD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 17 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Brian: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Anne: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $4,200
Anne: $1,600
Brian: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Brian Lehman is a communications manager from Washington, D.C., Who knows every word to the movie...

Brian: Clue. Clue.

Alex: Tell me about that movie.

Brian: Yes. Um, it's--it's a great sort of old '80s comedy, uh, and it actually has three endings and I--

Alex: Who starred in it?

Brian: Uh, it was Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn, a bunch of great, sort of comedic--Christopher Lloyd. It's--it's a great movie. It actually has three endings. I made my parents take me eight times to the theaters, trying to see all three.

Alex: Oh, my gosh. Do they think you're a normal person now because you've made them do that?

Brian: Um, they were very kind and very patient.

Alex: Okay, good for them.

Alex: Anne Kenney Chaplin from Truro, Massachusetts, a housing court judge. Housing court judge--what do you do?

Anne: Landlord/tenant law, Alex. Evictions, uh, code violations, things like that.

Alex: Right now, do the scales tip in favor of the tenants or the landlords?

Anne: We find that the landlords think we favor the tenants and the tenants think we favor the landlords, so I think we're doing a good job down the middle.

Alex: You're doing a good job. You're doing a very good job if that's the case.

Alex: Justin, we had a category here called pan & pot pourri, and I understand, with the more than $100,000 you've won so far, you're interested in getting a whole new set of pots and pans.

Justin: Well, I do--I do most of the--I do most of the cooking at home, and, um, uh... you know, it's been a while since any of my stuff was updated in any way, and so I think that'd be a, you know, practical way to spend some of that.

Alex: All right, well, you're in command of the board still, so you select our next clue.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Justin had $4,400, Anne had $1,600, and Brian was at $600. Brian wagered $1,000.

WHOM DID SHE PORTRAY? $400: Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STRAIT AHEAD $1000: Hydrologically, Lake Huron & Lake Michigan are one lake since they are connected by this strip of water

FIRST NAME PHRASES $1000: A slangy term for a baseball doubleheader

THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO $800: The new complex on the site will be six office towers, three of them designed by winners of this 32-year-old architecture prize

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Justin: $9,400
Brian: $3,400
Anne: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WAR STORIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SIGNS & SYMBOLS (4/5)
CHEMISTS (4/5)
MUSICAL STYLINGS (5/5)
DO YOU LIKE RUSSIAN HISTORY? (5/5)
"DA" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Justin: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Anne: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Justin had $9,400, Anne had $2,200, and Brian was at $4,200. Brian wagered $2,000.

"DA" $1200: He developed a new silver-based process for photography in the 1830s

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Justin had $10,600, Anne had $4,200, and Brian was at $9,000. Justin wagered $2,400.

WAR STORIES $1600: "Rags of Glory" &
"Kruger's Gold"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SIGNS & SYMBOLS $1600: When the symbol seen here is found on a clothing label, it indicates this special instruction

CHEMISTS $1200: Ernst Chain found that this animal substance does its deadly work by destroying a respiratory coenzyme
(Justin: What is... cyanide?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Justin: $23,400
Brian: $15,000
Anne: $6,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sara Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew delivers a footnote about 7 World Trade Center.)
On 9/11, shortly after 5:00 P.M., impacted by fires and debris from the day's devastation, 7 World Trade Center was the last of the towers to collapse. In 2006, at the gateway to the new site, it was the first tower to reopen. 7 World Trade Center is not only one of the safest new skyscrapers, it's also New York City's first certified-green office building.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHILOSOPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with first crushing second.
Justin: Wager $6,600--wagering any more risks falling behind Brian's wager of $1,800.
Brian: Wager all $15,000.
Anne: Wager $0.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Nietzsche wrote, "Once you said 'God' when you gazed upon distant seas; but now I have taught you to say" this word

FINAL SCORES
Anne: $6,600 - $6,599 = $1 (What is man) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brian: $15,000 - $14,998 = $2 (What is science?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Justin: $23,400 - $6,601 = $16,799 (What is man?) (6-day champion: $134,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Justin: $22,600, 28 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Brian: $13,600, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Anne: $6,600, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Justin: 28/59 = .475
Brian: 17/60 = .283
Anne: 11/58 = .190
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STRAIT AHEAD $400: The French call this strait that separates England & France the Pas de Calais
(Anne: What is the English Channel?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Anne: Uh...)
(Alex: There's another name that we need.)

STRAIT AHEAD $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew points to a map on the monitor.) At its narrowest, this strait separates Europe & Asia by less than 800 yards

FIRST NAME PHRASES $400: Let's get one thing straight--with this item suspended here

PAN & POT POURRI $400: Custards & other delicate items are cooked in one of these, basically a pair of stacked saucepans

PAN & POT POURRI $800: Don't have the pot called this? Get this collapsible device to do the same thing
(Justin: What's a pasta strainer?)

THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO $200: In May of 2011, President Obama laid a wreath at Ground Zero, days after announcing that this al-Qaeda leader was killed

THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO $400: The tallest of the new buildings, first dubbed the Freedom Tower, will soar this many feet to signify a big year in American history

THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO $600: The design for the new Port Authority Transportation Hub was inspired by the gesture of a child releasing this bird into the air

THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & GROUND ZERO $1000: Memorial pools at Ground Zero not only commemorate those killed on 9/11, but also in the garage bombing in February of this year

WAR STORIES $2000: "For Whom the Bell Tolls"
(Brian: What is the Sp--uh...)
(Alex: Say it!)
(Brian: The Spanish Revolution?)

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $400: In certain emergencies, we hope to see the sign
that will guide you to one of these

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $800: It's what the symbol seen here represents

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a symbol on the monitor.) Two intersecting triangles form a 6-pointed star called this, from the Greek for "6" & "letter"

MUSICAL STYLINGS $400: Sandra Booker, Nina Simone & Esperanza Spalding are all sultry chanteuses of this 4-letter musical genre
(Anne: What is scat?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

MUSICAL STYLINGS $1600: Dub poetry, a political type of this Jamaican musical form, developed in music halls there in the 1970s
(Justin: What is ska?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Annie Sullivan
the Strait of Mackinac
a twin bill
the Pritzker Prize
(Louis) Daguerre
the Boer War
do not use bleach
snake venom
superman
the Strait of Dover
the Bosporus
a plumb bob
a double boiler
a steamer
Osama bin Laden
a dove
the Spanish Civil War
a hospital
the Republican Party
a hexagram
jazz
reggae
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

So Justin Sausville joins Ken Jennings and David Madden as the only three Jeopardy! champions in the show's history to win at least six games spanning two seasons. Tomorrow, he will attempt to become the first seven-day champion since Tom Nissley's run last December.

By my observation, today's win was definitely Justin Sausville's best game of the new season. If he's able to build on today's success to increase his confidence from this point forward, then I think that he could be capable of reeling off several additional victories, perhaps even earning the number one seed in the upcoming Tournament of Champions.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not sure how you were supposed to come up with "superman" instead of "man" (or anything else, for that matter). I guessed "nothing", him being a nihilist.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

And so continues the Justin Sausville saga. For me, Jeopardy round screamed easy. World Trade Center, Summer Vacation and Straits were all sweeps, very easy categories. Double Jeopardy round not so impressive, but got sweeps in Musical Stylings and Russian History (helps when your mother taught you a lot of it).

Final Jeopardy puts me at 1/4 for this week so far (cricket the lone get). Philosophy is not a strong point for me, and I thought of Jesus, but that was about it. Nitzche is not someone I know much of anything about.

As for Justin, definitely a strong comeback, too bad he didn't have quite the comeback. At least he's a for sure for the ToC now. (Not like that was an issue anyway.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
nella55
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by nella55 »

Does anyone remember the question in Double Jeopardy concerning Ernst Chain's research?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Philosophy
Nietzsche wrote, "Once you said 'God' when you gazed upon distant seas; but now I have taught you to say" this word.
Spoiler
What is Superman? Anne and Justin said Man; Brian said Science.
Justin Sausville: $23,400-$6,601=$16,799...now a 6-day champion with $134,000
Brian Lehman: $15,000-$14,998=$2
Anne Kenney Chaplin: $6,600-$6,599=$1

What is this, The Price is Right!? Anne bids $1, so then Brian sneaks above her with $2 to clinch second place?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Grumble grumble grumble...for the second time in 4 shows this week, my rapidly chicken-scratched calculations during the pre-FJ break were rendered somewhat irrelevant by a late score correction. Why can't Alex just pop in and announce score corrections right when they head to the break after the FJ category reveal?

Anyway, the newly revised scores did present some interesting possible scenarios, that is if any of this week's players would put even a moment's thought into their positions relative to their opponents when considering their wagers. If Justin makes the standard shutout wager of $6,601, (which he did), a miss leaves him at $16,799, (which it did). If Brian bets the maximum amount he can to still shut out Anne, which is $1,799, a correct answer gives him $16,799, potentially the same score as Justin and a tie for the win. Therefore, Brian should instead bet $1,800, which with a miss leaves him at worst tied for 2nd with Anne, and at best leaves him one dollar ahead of Justin, $16,800 to $16,799. Justin should realize that this possibility exists, due to Anne's score in relation to Brian's, and therefore should bet $6,600 instead of $6,601, leaving open the possibility that he ties Brian at $16,800 on a miss, and also the possbility that he ties Brian at $30,000 if they are both right, but it virtually eliminates the possibility of him losing by one dollar. Of course Anne should bet her entire $6,600, just in case Brian reads the situation correctly and bets $1,800 rather than $1,799. That could get her a tie for second, which if I understand the rules correctly she would lose the tiebreaker and drop to 3rd, but hey, she could still say that only one player finished above her.

Granted, this is fairly high level stuff to work through under the bright lights of Sony Television Studios, but I fully expected all 3 players to analyze the situation exactly as I did and act appropriately. :lol:

My brilliant WAG on Final Jeopardy was "What is water". When you gazed upon distant seas, Nietzsche taught you to say water. I thought it would be a pretty clever pun, but apparently Nietzsche and I don't share the same sense of humor. As for my chances of coming up with Superman, well, most of the gazing I associate with Superman happens to be upon cornfields or Lana Lang, not distant seas. Maybe I just watched way too much Smallville over the last decade. :P

I thought Justin might have had yet another delayed neg tonight. In the category "First Name Phrases", I believe he responded with "robbing the cradle" or "robbin' the cradle". I thought they were looking for "rob the cradle", since Rob is also a first name. Robbing is clearly not a first name, but I suppose if Alex heard robbin' then the name Robin could fit, and I belive the clue included the term "slangy", or something like that, so I guess robbin' could fit. Much like the Wayans clue earlier this week, he clearly knew what they were going for, but I thought the way he phrased it might cause the judges to take a closer look at it.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jeff6286 wrote:Grumble grumble grumble...for the second time in 4 shows this week, my rapidly chicken-scratched calculations during the pre-FJ break were rendered somewhat irrelevant by a late score correction. Why can't Alex just pop in and announce score corrections right when they head to the break after the FJ category reveal?
because the judges/writers need the time during the commercial break to research whether the scores should be changed.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Grumble grumble grumble...for the second time in 4 shows this week, my rapidly chicken-scratched calculations during the pre-FJ break were rendered somewhat irrelevant by a late score correction. Why can't Alex just pop in and announce score corrections right when they head to the break after the FJ category reveal?
because the judges/writers need the time during the commercial break to research whether the scores should be changed.
Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. What I meant was that they could tape Alex making the scoring correction, then insert it into the show immediately after the FJ category reveal, so that nerds like me who like to figure out the best possible wagering strategies for all 3 players don't end up wasting their time by doing the math and then having the scores altered after the break. I wasn't really upset about it, it was just a thought that occurred to me and I wondered if anyone else ever considered it. We did see Alex do a "drop-in" right near the end of last season to correct some poorly worded clue, even thought it didn't affect the outcome of the game, and as far as I could tell no one on here had any recollection of that ever happening before. I don't remember what show it happened on or what the details were, but the fact that they did it once to clean up a bad clue makes me wonder why they couldn't do it to announce a scoring change. I watch the show on DVR, so if I have to revise my calculations just before the FJ clue reveal, I can pause, but people watching live would be pretty much out of luck in that regard.
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

jeff6286 wrote:I thought Justin might have had yet another delayed neg tonight. In the category "First Name Phrases", I believe he responded with "robbing the cradle" or "robbin' the cradle". I thought they were looking for "rob the cradle", since Rob is also a first name. Robbing is clearly not a first name, but I suppose if Alex heard robbin' then the name Robin could fit, and I belive the clue included the term "slangy", or something like that, so I guess robbin' could fit. Much like the Wayans clue earlier this week, he clearly knew what they were going for, but I thought the way he phrased it might cause the judges to take a closer look at it.
I thought the judges were too lenient on this one. Rob is a common first name. Robbing and Robbin' are not. Robin is a first name, but "Robin the cradle" is not a valid expression.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:Not sure how you were supposed to come up with "superman" instead of "man" (or anything else, for that matter). I guessed "nothing", him being a nihilist.
It helps to know that one of Nietzsche's most famous contributions is the notion of the Übermensch, which we translate as Superman. When we read the clue, my wife said "Man" and I responded "more likely Superman." The quote sounds a bit hokey regardless, but it was gettable.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Woof wrote:It helps to know that one of Nietzsche's most famous contributions is the notion of the Übermensch, which we translate as Superman. When we read the clue, my wife said "Man" and I responded "more likely Superman."
Well. You actually had to know something about Nietzsche to get the correct response. How unfair. ;)

For the record, my guess was "nature." Plausible mistake, don't you think?

Congratzsche to Justin for joining the ranks of überchampz.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I got FJ by thinking of some kind of "person" one might associate with Nietzsche. "Superman" was the only possibility that came to mind and it sort of made sense in the context of the clue, so I went with it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rob the cradle and the variations have been discussed. Judges, how about my guess of May-December?

Brian knows all the lines to Clue? One viewing and one ending was enough for me. Justin can afford pots and pans now that would make Chef Ramsay jealous?

Guessing between "Man" or "Superman" was not a problem for me. My first thought was "dead." That didn't seem right, so I kept thinking until I recalled a title I mistakely came up with as "God and Superman." Okay, Superman sounds like a decent guess. Whatever works.

15 + 24 had the DJ round much better for me. The opening 15 clues were an embarrassing 6 correct.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

jeff6286 wrote:Anyway, the newly revised scores did present some interesting possible scenarios, ... If Justin makes the standard shutout wager of $6,601, (which he did), a miss leaves him at $16,799, (which it did). If Brian bets the maximum amount he can to still shut out Anne, which is $1,799, a correct answer gives him $16,799, potentially the same score as Justin and a tie for the win.
All of this is possible because A+C=2B where A, B, C are the 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place pre-FJ scores, respectively. Does this particular scenario have a name? Has anyone made an attempt to catalog some of these boundary cases? I think it would be worthwhile to make up a cheat sheet of such odd scenarios and then memorize it.
econgator wrote:Not sure how you were supposed to come up with "superman" instead of "man" (or anything else, for that matter). I guessed "nothing", him being a nihilist.
Ditto. I didn't really think it sounded right, but it was the best I could come up with.

Always nice to hear Alex's charming Russian/Dracula voice. :)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Has anyone yet mentioned Justin's resemblance to Charles Martin Smith?

You might recognize Smith from his role as Terry the Toad in American Graffiti or his fine work in Never Cry Wolf and The Untouchables.

BTW, did anyone else think Justin should have been negged for his response of "robbing the cradle" when they were clearly looking for "rob the cradle"?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

There's also Ernie from My Three Sons.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Humor me. Or laugh at me. Whatever.

Post by tagNV »

Anyone else here think Justin has been lurking in the J! boards, waiting until his run is over before participating here?

Just me? Sigh. :(
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

With six wins and $134,000, Justin Sausville moves into third place in the ToC standings.