Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Re: Thursday, September 22, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Superchamp! Justin's going to be a big-time contender in the TOC... unless he keeps winning for two more months. :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:Not sure how you were supposed to come up with "superman" instead of "man" (or anything else, for that matter). I guessed "nothing", him being a nihilist.
I believe that Nietzsche is well known for "superman", in fact, it's almost Pavlov to associate him with that word (provided, of course, you're not talking about the superhero.

I am not that familiar with Nietzsche myself (it was only the reveal that reminded me of superman = Nietzsche, but I'd never have been able to tell you where it came from), the fact that he was a famous atheist, though, didn't lead me to "Jesus" or anything else religious. I settled on "good" merely because it scanned well. I realized halfway through that Nietzsche wrote in German and therefore the effect would be lost, but I was hoping his English translators had a bit of a flair for the art of words. :oops:
jeff6286 wrote:Robbing is clearly not a first name, but I suppose if Alex heard robbin' then the name Robin could fit, and I belive the clue included the term "slangy", or something like that, so I guess robbin' could fit.
I too think they were way too lenient there and was expecting a reversal that never came. (And, for the record, the "slangy" part was in the bottom-row clue about baseball, the double-header term that I'd never heard before.)
heelsrule1988 wrote:Superchamp! Justin's going to be a big-time contender in the TOC... unless he keeps winning for two more months. :lol:
I agree with what seems to be the consensus, this was the first game he really showed any hint of playing exceptionally well - at least to me, despite having seen all his games (although I can't remember his first one any more) I only really stood up and took notice in the first half of today's J! round and not a moment sooner. (My notice didn't even last the whole game, either, but, holy balls, he shined in the first 15 clues today!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Anyway, the newly revised scores did present some interesting possible scenarios, ... If Justin makes the standard shutout wager of $6,601, (which he did), a miss leaves him at $16,799, (which it did). If Brian bets the maximum amount he can to still shut out Anne, which is $1,799, a correct answer gives him $16,799, potentially the same score as Justin and a tie for the win.
All of this is possible because A+C=2B where A, B, C are the 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place pre-FJ scores, respectively. Does this particular scenario have a name? Has anyone made an attempt to catalog some of these boundary cases? I think it would be worthwhile to make up a cheat sheet of such odd scenarios and then memorize it.
You beat me to picking apart the numbers! On first glance at the numbers, I would have simply called it "first plus third equals twice second," but I plugged them in to the J! Archive wagering calculator, which called it "evenly spaced scores," which is just as apt and much more elegant.

I made a long post about boundary cases, but it was on the old board. The wagering calculator has a few, such as first equals second plus third (in which third is encouraged to bet it all), first equals second plus half of third (in which third is encouraged to bet nothing), first and a half equals second plus third (in which third is encouraged to bet exactly enough to catch up to first), and Faith Love (its name for second equals third plus half of first in at least a three-quarters scenario) (in which third is encouraged to bet it all, second is encouraged to wager exactly enough to catch up to first, and first is encouraged to wager nothing).

Not on the wagering calculator, for example, is first equals third plus half of second (which occurred in Anthony Fox's last game). On the Sony board, I called it "Faith Love on crack." First place should choose between offering a tie to second or third, second place should choose between wagering nothing or everything, and third place should choose between wagering everything or just enough to catch up to second. One possible result is a three-way tie!

edit: dunno how I screwed the title up; I blame my phone. Fixed now, I hope.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Going by what "Nietzschean wannabes" are considered, I answered "What is 'I'?" :twisted: I thought the DJ round was much easier than the J round.
JeanneJag
Contributor

Post by JeanneJag »

nella55 wrote:Does anyone remember the question in Double Jeopardy concerning Ernst Chain's research?
Spoiler
What is snake venom?
The clue was (may not be exact quote) : "Ernst Chain discovered that this animal substance does its deadly work by destroying a respiratory co-enzyme."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

JeanneJag wrote:
nella55 wrote:Does anyone remember the question in Double Jeopardy concerning Ernst Chain's research?
Spoiler
What is snake venom?
The clue was (may not be exact quote) : "Ernst Chain discovered that this animal substance does its deadly work by destroying a respiratory co-enzyme."
IMO that was a very poorly worded question. I guessed the right answer, but snake venoms have a wide range of activities. Some are neurotoxins, others are proteases, yet others have phospholipase activity. From the wording of the clue, I'd guess that they were referring to the ATPase activity of many snake venoms, but it's neither universal nor is it the only activity found in most snake venoms.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote:
JeanneJag wrote:
Spoiler
What is snake venom?
IMO that was a very poorly worded question. I guessed the right answer, but snake venoms have a wide range of activities. Some are neurotoxins, others are proteases, yet others have phospholipase activity. From the wording of the clue, I'd guess that they were referring to the ATPase activity of many snake venoms, but it's neither universal nor is it the only activity found in most snake venoms.
I withheld answer on this one, although I considered snake venom, for exactly that reason. Didn't think the proper response would be "What are many types of snake venom?" Agreed that it was a clue of poor quality.
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

jeff6286 wrote:Justin Sausville: $23,400-$6,601=$16,799...now a 6-day champion with $134,000
Brian Lehman: $15,000-$14,998=$2
Anne Kenney Chaplin: $6,600-$6,599=$1

...If Justin makes the standard shutout wager of $6,601, (which he did), a miss leaves him at $16,799, (which it did). If Brian bets the maximum amount he can to still shut out Anne, which is $1,799, a correct answer gives him $16,799, potentially the same score as Justin and a tie for the win. Therefore, Brian should instead bet $1,800, which with a miss leaves him at worst tied for 2nd with Anne, and at best leaves him one dollar ahead of Justin, $16,800 to $16,799. Justin should realize that this possibility exists, due to Anne's score in relation to Brian's, and therefore should bet $6,600 instead of $6,601, leaving open the possibility that he ties Brian at $16,800 on a miss, and also the possbility that he ties Brian at $30,000 if they are both right, but it virtually eliminates the possibility of him losing by one dollar. Of course Anne should bet her entire $6,600, just in case Brian reads the situation correctly and bets $1,800 rather than $1,799. That could get her a tie for second, which if I understand the rules correctly she would lose the tiebreaker and drop to 3rd, but hey, she could still say that only one player finished above her.
Not that any of your analysis is wrong in itself, except that if Justin were to make the standard shutout bet of $6601 and miss, his residue of $16,799 is still higher than Brian’s original $15,000—so Brian must improve his score to have any chance of winning. Since a miss will lose the game in any case, Brian has nothing (well, very little) to lose by betting everything: there’s no point in limiting his bet to $1799 to keep Anne shut out, since the $1000 difference between second and third place is negligible compared to the additional $13,001 for doubling his score to $30,000. Anytime a second-place player is crushed (less than 2/3 of the leader’s score, so that he can’t win without a right answer against the standard shutout bet), his best move is to go all-in and hope for the best, to maximize his potential dollar winnings if the leader misses.

—OldSchoolCalculator

We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Budphrey wrote:
Woof wrote:It helps to know that one of Nietzsche's most famous contributions is the notion of the Übermensch, which we translate as Superman. When we read the clue, my wife said "Man" and I responded "more likely Superman."
Well. You actually had to know something about Nietzsche to get the correct response. How unfair. ;)
What he said.

I actually first wrote down "What is dead?" upon thinking of the famous Nietzsche quote "God is dead." Didn't look right from the get-go and I kept looking, and came up with "Superman" just in time to write it down before the boom-boom.

Of course one of my all-time favorite quotes is "whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" (Nietzsche, the dead philosopher), bute for some reason my wife just doesn't get it.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

No one else scribbled Zarathustra at the last minute, after having Ubermensch in their head for the duration? Meh... first miss of season 28.
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mark-I also said May-December romance, so I'll score you as correct.

Had Man (and considered science) for FJ, the Superman bit clicked in upon Alex's comment.

Anybody else think the bottom clue in Who did she portray was way overvalued? I had never heard of the actress or the movie. but all I needed to hear was Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah 1492. A female role in a movie set in 1492. A fairly limited set of possible people and was pretty sure it wasn't Mrs. Columbus.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Bamaman wrote: Anybody else think the bottom clue in Who did she portray was way overvalued? I had never heard of the actress or the movie. but all I needed to hear was Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah 1492. A female role in a movie set in 1492. A fairly limited set of possible people and was pretty sure it wasn't Mrs. Columbus.
You've never heard of Sigourney Weaver?! It's not the hardest clue, based on deductive logic, but the movie wasn't a success and it's one of her least memorable roles, so that makes it a bit tougher to get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Suze wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Anybody else think the bottom clue in Who did she portray was way overvalued? I had never heard of the actress or the movie. but all I needed to hear was Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah 1492. A female role in a movie set in 1492. A fairly limited set of possible people and was pretty sure it wasn't Mrs. Columbus.
You've never heard of Sigourney Weaver?! It's not the hardest clue, based on deductive logic, but the movie wasn't a success and it's one of her least memorable roles, so that makes it a bit tougher to get.

Sorry, commenting on the clue based on memory from having seen it a day earlier. Weaver's name didn't stick with me, but I have heard of her.

My point was 1492/female makes it a short leap to Isabella, depsite the movie's lack of noteriety.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Do you think they'd have accepted Übermensch? I didn't come up with it, but most of my Nietzsche knowledge was learned in German, so if I'd been there, it's entirely possible I might have come up with it in the last seconds, but without time to translate to English. On the one hand, the word Nietzsche actually wrote was "Übermensch" but on the other hand the show is conducted in English and wasn't asking for a foreign word. Any ideas?
I agree on the Isabella question - clearly should have been the top level clue. Or else should have asked for the actress, since that would have been far more difficult. (I had forgotten it already in just 2 days though I now remember being stunned at not knowing that she had played that part.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

debramc wrote:Do you think they'd have accepted Übermensch? I didn't come up with it, but most of my Nietzsche knowledge was learned in German, so if I'd been there, it's entirely possible I might have come up with it in the last seconds, but without time to translate to English. On the one hand, the word Nietzsche actually wrote was "Übermensch" but on the other hand the show is conducted in English and wasn't asking for a foreign word. Any ideas?
I think they'd have a hard time not giving it to you. I'd count it.