Monday, September 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6211, 2011-09-26

First game consolation prizes sponsored. Sponsor's name appears on podiums under prize totals at conclusion of game. (Sponsorship does not appear on reruns.)

CONTESTANTS
Ellen Mizio, a forensics researcher from Tampa, Florida
Matt Douma, a standardized test scorer from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Amit Kurlekar, an attorney from Oakland, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome again to Jeopardy! We got our 28th season off to a great start last week with a bright young champion who won six shows and well over $100,000, but he was replaced by another bright young man, and that is Amit, who's the returning champion today and who gets to face Ellen and Matt. So good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work in the first round, shall we? We'll pop the dollar figures in there and now we will reveal the categories, which are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOTIONS (3/3)
50 YEARS AGO--1961 (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALL IN THE FAMILY (4/5)
ALSO A ZODIAC SYMBOL (5/5)
FORBES' RICHEST PEOPLE 2011 (4/5)
TV CATCHPHRASES (3/5) (Alex: We want you to name the show. We'll give you the...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amit: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Matt: 8 R, 2 W
Ellen: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amit found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Amit had $200, Matt had $200, and Ellen had nothing in the bank. Amit wagered $1,000.

50 YEARS AGO--1961 $400: Peter Benenson's 1961 news article "The Forgotten Prisoners" is considered the birth of this organization

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amit: $2,400
Ellen: $600
Matt: -$1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Let's spend a few moments now finding out about our contestants, shall we? Ellen Mizio. There's a bit of information on your card that puzzles me. It says here that your husband proposed over cookies and milk. How old were you two at that time?

Ellen: It was not that long ago, but we came home from a play, and John, my boyfriend at the time, said, "Oh, it's--shouldn't we--we should have champagne. We should have something nice." And I said, "I have to work tomorrow. I just--don't you have those chocolate chip cookies and some milk? Wouldn't that be better?" Not realizing that he was going to propose, so he went ahead and proposed over cookies and milk.

Alex: Well, good. That's a great story.

Alex: Matt Douma from Minneapolis, Minnesota, obviously quite an athlete, because he led his high school football team in rushing touchdowns, right?

Matt: With one, yes.

[Laughter]

Matt: We were, uh, obviously not a very good team. I was the backup quarterback and I found myself in the game, and I scored on a Q.B. sneak. It was probably my only rushing yard of the season.

Alex: Hey. That's okay.

Alex: Now we come to Amit kurlekar from Oakland. You read The New York Times every day, I understand. Correct?

Amit: Yes, Alex.

Alex: And when you're out of town, you have somebody save up all the papers for you, and when you come home, you read them all?

Amit: Yeah, they stack up in my house, and my friends think I'm a little nuts because I don't--I don't really follow cable or Internet news, so I will go two weeks without know really what happened in the world unless I see a stray headline somewhere.

Alex: Okay, television is not a bad medium also, you know.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
50 YEARS AGO--1961 $600: The 23rd Amendment, giving these people the right to vote, was ratified March 29, 1961
(Amit: What are women?)
(Matt: Who are 18-year-olds?)

50 YEARS AGO--1961 $1000: In April he orbited the Earth once
(Matt: Who is John Glenn?)

TV CATCHPHRASES $400: "Sit on it"
(Ellen: What is Welcome Back, Kotter?)

ALL IN THE FAMILY $1000: He did his great missionary work after going to Hawaii in 1863 as a substitute for the ailing Father Pamphile
(Alex: And this was [*], working with the lepers in Hawaii.)

TV CATCHPHRASES $1000: "God'll get you for that, Walter"

FORBES' RICHEST PEOPLE 2011 $1000: $23.3 billion gets Sheldon Adelson to No. 16; his $1.9 billion Palazzo resort opened in this city in 2007

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amit: $4,400
Matt: $2,800
Ellen: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOTIONS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE TITLE SONGS (3/5)
LOOK WHAT THE CAT SCAN DRAGGED IN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"PSYCH"! (3/5)
U.S. BIRTHPLACES (5/5)
A VISIT TO THE MET (4/5) (Alex: The talent and grandeur of Amrrica's permier opera house.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amit: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Matt: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Ellen: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amit snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Amit had $6,800, Matt had $4,800, and Ellen was at $800. Amit wagered $1,200.

LOOK WHAT THE CAT SCAN DRAGGED IN $2000: CAT stands for computerized this tomography, because it moves across the body's transverse plane

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ellen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Amit had $12,400, Matt had $6,000, and Ellen was at $8,800. Ellen wagered $2,000.

NOTIONS $1600: This sewing item has a capacity of about 1 cubic centimeter
(Ellen: What is a bobbin?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LOOK WHAT THE CAT SCAN DRAGGED IN $400: CAT scans use this type of electromagnetic radiation, albeit at low doses

"PSYCH"! $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew moves a tin can across the table with his mind.) It's the rare ability that special effects will help me exhibit here
(Amit: What are psychic powers?)

"PSYCH"! $2000: Jacob Moreno developed this technique in which people act out their problems for an audience

MOVIE TITLE SONGS $800: 1973:
Paul McCartney and Wings

MOVIE TITLE SONGS $1200: 1992:
Boy George

NOTIONS $400: Collectors of these proverbially "cute" items from the notions counter should get a copy of "The Big Book of" them

NOTIONS $800: Until about the 15th century, these had no eyes

A VISIT TO THE MET $2000: (Placido Domingo presents the clue from the stage at the Met.) I've sung the role of Pinkerton many times & in 2011 at the Met I will conduct this opera in which Pinkerton sings the following:

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amit: $14,000
Matt: $8,000
Ellen: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASE ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Amit: Wager $2,001 to cover Matt, but no more than $4,399 so as not to fall behind Ellen's doubled score.
Matt: You have the hope of surpassing Amit if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,001 to force Amit to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Ellen.
Ellen: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In medieval times, an act of bravery got you dubbed a knight & won you a pair of golden these

FINAL SCORES
Ellen: $4,800 - $4,000 = $800 (What are swords?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $8,000 + $6,100 = $14,100 (What are spurs?) (New champion: $14,100)
Amit: $14,000 - $2,001 = $11,999 (What are gauntlets?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amit: $14,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Matt: $8,000, 13 R, 2 W
Ellen: $6,800, 12 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Amit: 18/60 = .300
Matt: 14/58 = .241
Ellen: 12/59 = .203
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
50 YEARS AGO--1961 $200: That's a Cuban soldier standing on a U.S. B-26 in the aftermath of this failed April 1961 operation

NOTIONS $600: In this theory Truman thought a nation's fall to communism would cause neighboring nations to follow suit
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"PSYCH"! $1200: In 1896 Sigmund Freud coined this term for how he treated patients for mental illness
(Ellen: What is psychotherapy?)

A VISIT TO THE MET $400: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center.) The 2011-2012 Metropolitan Opera season opens with world-famous soprano Anna Netrebko as this ill-fated wife of Henry VIII

A VISIT TO THE MET $800: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center.) Since 1971 James Levine has conducted at the Met for nearly 2500 operatic performances, earning him this Italian title bestowed on conductors

A VISIT TO THE MET $1200: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center.) In the 2011-2012 season, the Met is using new modernized staging to present all four operas in this composer's "Ring" cycle

A VISIT TO THE MET $1600: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center.) Renee Fleming is rehearsing "Armida", a lesser-known Rossini work, which for a great soprano can be considered this, a French expression meaning "turn of strength"

NOTIONS $2000: For a puberty ritual, a girl in Ghana wears kente cloth & may be adorned with 50 pounds of these
(Ellen: What are necklaces?)
(Alex: Nnnnnnnnn...)
(Ellen: What are neck rings?)
(Alex: No.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Amnesty International
citizens of Washington, D.C.
Yuri Gagarin
Happy Days
Father Damien
Maude
Las Vegas
axial
a thimble
X-rays
psychokinesis
psychodrama
"Live And Let Die"
"The Crying Game"
buttons
needles
Madame Butterfly
spurs
the Bay of Pigs
the domino theory
psychoanalysis
Anne Boleyn
maestro
Wagner
tour de force
beads
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion(SPOIL

Post by xxaaaxx »

It that's a 'familiar phrase', then I must be hanging around the wrong people, and reading the wrong...everything :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Good start to the week with the instaget FJ.

I'd hope someone from today's game comes on to the board, because I'd like to know if they realized that they could ring in during the singing. I was waiting for him to stop and then when he did, beep-beep-beep. Pinkerton = Madame Butterfly is pretty easy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:It that's a 'familiar phrase', then I must be hanging around the wrong people, and reading the wrong...everything :(
Never heard of earning your spurs?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:It that's a 'familiar phrase', then I must be hanging around the wrong people, and reading the wrong...everything :(
Not even an "dammit, I used to know that!" glimmer of recognition that I seem to be getting a bit too often this season. I won't say I've never come across it, as I'm sure someone will mention a few books or movies that I've seen or read and which used the phrase, but somehow never made an impression on me (despite how odd the phrase sounds).

But this sounds like the kind of clue that'll top 90% at the end of the week, so I'll just sigh, shrug, feel bummed out about for a few more minutes, and move on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd never heard of the phrase, either. A quick internet search had the phrase dating back to the days of the U.S. cavalry.

The curse of the giant killer continues as amit fails to repeat.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

This game killed me to jsut sit and watch in the audience because I love the categories. Movies, TV, CAT scans, opera, all up my alley. I don't think the contestants today were opera fans.
The "Pinkerton" clue is not Opera 101, I will say in their defense. If they had mentioned it being Asian, or about a woman and her child and her infamous suicide, yeah that would be a much simpler clue. But knowing the name of the lead male is much harder for non-opera fans.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd heard Pinkerton as being the male lead before, but couldn't come up with it tonight. His name got me sidetracked on detectives and never came close.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Familiar Phrase Origins
In medieval times, an act of bravery got you dubbed a knight & won you a pair of golden these.
Spoiler
What are spurs? Ellen said swords and Amit said gauntlets.
Amit Kurlekar: $14,000-$2,001=$11,999
Matt Douma: $8,000+$6,001=$14,001...now a 1-day champion with $14,001
Ellen Mizio: $4,800-$4,000=$800
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I guess I backed into it- I was thinking of "Order of the Golden Spur," though I've heard of "earning your spurs," I guess.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
"Earning your spurs," yes. Specifically "golden" spurs? Not so much.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My immediate thought was gloves, as in golden gloves, and I wasn't incredibly confident in it but I couldn't really think of anything else that came in a pair. I'd heard of "earning your spurs", but never really thought about knights wearing spurs, as I tend to associate those mainly with cowboys.

For me this was the easiest game of the season, particularly Double Jeopardy! I was able to sweep US Birthplaces and the CAT Scan category, and nearly swept "Psych" and the Notions category about sewing. I think the contestants may have been overthinking in Notions, as they missed relatively easy clues like button, needle, and thimble, plus maybe one more I'm forgetting. TV and Movies are both usually strong subjects for me, but I only got 5/10 combined today in those two categories. Too many "before my time" in the TV category, though I should have at least been able to come up with one or two of Weird Science, The Crying Game, or Snakes on a Plane.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Even the reveal on FJ elicited a blank look from me. Never heard of it. Went with gloves.

OK, Placido, thank you, let's move on (I'm saying that kiddingly, but it certainly was long). Enjoyable, but long.

Can someone tell me what the Boy George clue/question was? My DVR blipped out.

Amit's interview story could have been mine, except substitute The Washington Post for The New York Times. That is soooo me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He doesn't read the Times when out of town? Its not that hard to find.

I travel for work and insist my wife save the daily paper.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Count me in on not having a clue on FJ. I also said "gloves". I didn't realize "spurs" was right after it had been revealed until Alex gave it the nod.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Gloves for me with no chance on spurs even with multiple choice.

The TS on the Maude clue made me laugh. If the players didn't know "Sit on it." from Happy Days then they had no chance on that one much harder. I scored my $3000 for the category and wanted more of TV Catchphrases.

Ellen's knowledge in Movie Title Songs impressed me. I was done after the Parton and Wings songs. Oingo Boingo had my circuits misfiring as I was thinking the "Oh Yeah" song, but knew the year was wrong for Ferris Bueller.

Nice job by Matt to steal the game. I thought Amit was going to win another one. He needed to have bet $3200 in Cat Scan DD I and won't fault him for betting low in the $2000 box.

I'm no opera fan, but I know enough to match Pinkerton with the work.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Never heard of "earning your spurs," golden or otherwise. I said gauntlet, figuring they were referring to "throwing down the gauntlet."
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Nice job by Matt to steal the game. I thought Amit was going to win another one. He needed to have bet $3200 in Cat Scan DD I and won't fault him for betting low in the $2000 box.
I'm with you on the Cat Scan DD - Amit needed wager big or wager nothing. After a whole category on CAT scans without a definition of what CAT stands for, it was pretty obvious what the question would be, so if you knew "Computed Axial Tomography", it was time to go all in. I messed up and conflated it with CAD (computer aided design) and guessed "Aided' for the answer. Sigh.

A good day to be playing from the couch for me - too many negs to be on the show. Only slightly redeemed by the get on the final.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

alietr wrote:Even the reveal on FJ elicited a blank look from me. Never heard of it. Went with gloves.

OK, Placido, thank you, let's move on (I'm saying that kiddingly, but it certainly was long). Enjoyable, but long.

Can someone tell me what the Boy George clue/question was? My DVR blipped out.

Amit's interview story could have been mine, except substitute The Washington Post for The New York Times. That is soooo me.

Boy George had to do with his singing the theme (actually, one of three versions in the film) to The Crying Game.

PS: Never heard of Golden Spurs, either.