Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Never heard of the guy making the quote, got the right person from the spelling in the quote.
Same here. I figured either the quote was alluding to (or making fun of) the author's spelling, or it was middle English, and went with the obvious.
In the break right before FJ, they gave a plug for the Jeopardy website. One of the features on the site they mentioned was the message board. I've never seen them mention it before, yet it is still down. I wonder if it will be back up and running soon.
I thought I misheard, since I was out of the room during the break. Maybe the left hand (marketing) doesn't know what the right hand (whoever is in charge of NOT running the boards) is doing?

Good try Suze. Sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw, and Matt was in the zone today.
I'm at a hotel so I couldn't rewind to see the spot a second time. But the message board they showed in the ad didn't llok like our old home. Can someone who has access to a DVR check it out for us?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: I'm at a hotel so I couldn't rewind to see the spot a second time. But the message board they showed in the ad didn't llok like our old home. Can someone who has access to a DVR check it out for us?
I'm looking at it on my DVR, and I can't seem to remember exactly what the old board looked like, but their representation seems reasonably close. I'm guessing the picture is merely a mock-up by the graphics department, as the views, replies, and last post dates and user names are all the same, although the dates are cut off on my TV so I can't quite read them. The thread titles listed are "What happened to the Clue Crew today?", "Alex videos clues on the next Jeopardy!", "The Kids Online Test is Coming Up", The Clue Crew in Australia", and "Jeopardy! for the Wii".

Hopefully this means that they're getting ready to re-launch the board, but who knows? Otherwise, it seems pretty strange that the marketing division or whomever would put that ad together and not realize that the board has been down for I believe about 4 months now. The thread "The Kids Online Test is Coming Up" would seem to preclude the possibility that this ad was made several months ago, since the test really is coming up.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

To add a visual aid to the above post:

The date on that sticky is "07-11-2011," which obviously strengthens the "mockup" idea.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It won't be the last time I do it this season to blow the FJ clue and play it like a knucklehead. My guess? Robert Burns. It had nothing to do with Alex's reading of the clue. I have no excuse for not connecting the simple dots.

How in the world does Matt go from being one clue away from being locked out to going out of his mind tonight? Amit and Ellen did not have such great buzzer prowess that it affected Matt in his debut. The combined Coryat of 29,000 left plenty of room for Matt to get more than 8000.

The combined Coryat tonight was 43,200 with Matt's Coryat jumping to 26,200. That's a huge leap and I think Susan and Joe were at least equal and probably better than the Amit/Ellen combo from last night. That leaves the material. Tonight's clues must have hit Matt very well. I'll guess he drops back to reality tomorrow with something closer to 12000 worth of material scored.

I looked at the message board promo and it looked different from our own home. That leads me to believe work is being done to revive it?
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

suze and joe were very unfortunate to be up against a very good player on an otherworldly roll. we were all rooting for you—all three of you, but when matt built that huge lead i know i wasn't the only one hoping for a fightback. but matt tore through DJ like nobody's business. wow.

FWIW, i didn't notice anything "bedroom eyes"-ish about suze's intro, but then, i'm not quite as imaginative as sergio.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

It looked like Matt was a lot more relaxed for this game, too. But yeah, he was just on a tear.

I got Chaucer instantly -- and thought that Trebek gave everyone a couple of extra seconds at the end of reading the clue. Not that I begrudge them!
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

IMO, the "Baseball Logos" and "Fast Food Menus" could have been leftover from Kids Week. 5/5 in both.

Also, I thought the $800 and $1200 in "Before and After" were easier than the $400.

Really, Jeopardy? Promoting a message board that's been down for four months???
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

This could be my bias talking, but I thought the Fast Food category was really dumb. Just worthless sort of trivia, and I generally love pop culture and other lighter forms of trivia. But yeah, menus? I didn't even care when none of us knew Arby's. Meh, whatever.

The most notable part where Sergio teased me for the 'sex eyes' was during the intro, but it was cut. During the taping, they seemed to hold on my face even when Johnny was now introducing Joe. So I got all awkward and turned my head to the side, still seeing myself on the large monitor, thus producing the unintentional sketchy eyes. I was hoping that would get cut, and it looks like it was.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, tough luck Suze (and Joe) having to go up against a player who locked in on the buzzer. It was pretty evident that you both were being consistently beat to the buzzer, but you were great sports and never lost your cool. I can only hope to emulate such poise given the chance (and need). Great going, all three of you!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Never heard of the guy making the quote, got the right person from the spelling in the quote.
Which I think was the idea. (My first thought was "the dude who wrote Beowulf", but of course no one knows who he or she was).
Bamaman wrote:In the break right before FJ, they gave a plug for the Jeopardy website. One of the features on the site they mentioned was the message board. I've never seen them mention it before, yet it is still down. I wonder if it will be back up and running soon.
They have mentioned the board before, with screenshots and everything, but this was when the old board was up and healthy (and I seem to recall one of my threads was featured in the screenshot at the time, I was quite pleased!)

I'll comment on this more later, but part of me really hopes the Sony site stays down, as alietr has done such wonderful work to get a new home for us (even putting out money now), and the possibilities of either having two homes running simultaneously, or not going back to Sony at all, don't appeal to me one bit. But I don't like to leave here!
NJCondon wrote:Plus, your story was both amusing and well-told,
Unfortunately, it would have been a *lot* more apropos if you were on the show 8 days ago ... (I was actually disappointed that J! didn't ref the holiday in their category names on that date).
jeff6286 wrote:English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair language".
Nit: I'm pretty sure "langage" was lacking a "u" as it was spelled in the clue. It jumped out at me, and I was waiting to see if Alex would pronounce it the same as the modern word, or try to pronounce it as written (like the way millions of people pronounce the word "ye" (as in "ye olde English") as "yee" rather than "the")
jbillygirl wrote:I did not know that Nancy Kassebaum represented Kansas -- good for you for getting that, along with other things.
I really hate to take away from the adulation of Suze, as it is so rightly deserved, and she did get a lot of clues I had no hope of getting, but I think the name that is to lead people to Kansas was Alf Landon's, not Kassebaum's.
trainman wrote:The date on that sticky is "07-11-2011," which obviously strengthens the "mockup" idea.
Plus the fact that every thread was viewed 25 times, has 66 replies (the last one by "jeopardyfan" at 11:53 am today in each case, all started by "JeopardyDave" (hmmmm, wonder if that name will be free?), and all rated three stars.

What I find encouraging was that they were showing "Page 1 of 3381", that *might* suggest that they managed to save 3380 pages worth of our old posts ...
MarkBarrett wrote:It won't be the last time I do it this season to blow the FJ clue and play it like a knucklehead. My guess? Robert Burns. It had nothing to do with Alex's reading of the clue. I have no excuse for not connecting the simple dots.
I don't think he could quite be called an "English" writer, either. (Especially if your'e talking the nationality, rather than the language. That kind o' talk will get ye a claymore up the strap, laddie!)

OK, time once again to play Ask The Judges!

Our first contestant: Disasters $800 (first round). "Blimp" for "dirigible" (or whatever Joe said ;) )?
Our second contestant: Nature $200: "Possum" for "opossum"? (If negged, I might, *might* claim that the "a" in my "what is a possum" response was actually an "o")
And our third contestant: American Women $1200: "America" for "America the Beautiful"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and I think I was the only person, including the contestants and the millions watching at home, who didn't ring in at all on the "MBA" clue. I knew, of course, it stood for "Masters of Business Administration", but the clue seemed very weirdly worded to me, for some reason, thought they were referring to another MBA (that is, I thought the clue was worded to say "don't say 'masters of business administration', because it's the other one.")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Too good... too good. But at least you got on the show and made us proud, Suze. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: I'll comment on this more later, but part of me really hopes the Sony site stays down, as alietr has done such wonderful work to get a new home for us (even putting out money now), and the possibilities of either having two homes running simultaneously, or not going back to Sony at all, don't appeal to me one bit. But I don't like to leave here!
I've had the same thoughts, but there would surely be some benefits to getting the old site back up. First and foremost, I think, would be if they've managed to retain all of the old posts, as many on here have bemoaned the fact that years and years of discussion and information may very well be lost forever. Also, while alietr has done us all a wonderful service getting this board up and running, I'm sure he or she would be glad to not have to bear the financial load, whatever it may be. We also seem to be consistently gaining new members, as members from the old board stumble upon this site, and surely there are still many out there that have yet to discover us here, but might return to the old board if it becomes operational again.
dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair language".
Nit: I'm pretty sure "langage" was lacking a "u" as it was spelled in the clue. It jumped out at me, and I was waiting to see if Alex would pronounce it the same as the modern word, or try to pronounce it as written (like the way millions of people pronounce the word "ye" (as in "ye olde English") as "yee" rather than "the")
Oops, nice catch. Thanks, and now fixed.
dhkendall wrote: OK, time once again to play Ask The Judges!

Our first contestant: Disasters $800 (first round). "Blimp" for "dirigible" (or whatever Joe said ;) )?
Our second contestant: Nature $200: "Possum" for "opossum"? (If negged, I might, *might* claim that the "a" in my "what is a possum" response was actually an "o")
And our third contestant: American Women $1200: "America" for "America the Beautiful"?
I had the same answers for dirigible and opossum. I wondered if blimp or balloon would be accepted for dirigible, maybe even zeppelin, although I don't think so.

"America the Beautiful" is a different song than "America", also known as "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", so I'm assuming that you would not be given credit for that one, unless Alex gave you a long pause and allowed you to think quickly and add the extra words. "America" was written in 1831 by Samuel Francis Smith, and has the same melody as "God Save the Queen". According to wikipedia, it served as a de facto national anthem for the U.S. before the official adoption of "The Star-Spangled Banner".
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Congrats to Suze for making in onto the show and double congrats to her for being a classy player.

Okay Suze, if you had won, what would have been your second interview story?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:Plus the fact that every thread was viewed 25 times, has 66 replies (the last one by "jeopardyfan" at 11:53 am today in each case, all started by "JeopardyDave" (hmmmm, wonder if that name will be free?), and all rated three stars.
Hmmm . . . so that would mean that at least 41 people replied to each thread without looking at it.

I don't know what's more amusing: the fact that we J! nerds picked apart the flaws in the fake message board in less than a day . . . or the fact that the folks who created the fake board evidently assumed that no one would notice the flaws.

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Suze, it was a delight to see you behind the podium. Unfortunately I did not get home in time for your interview, which sounds like it was great, and I do prize a great interview. But you had strong presence during gameplay, even with Matt smugly hogging all the clues. I could tell you were trying to get in, even without seeing your buzzer hand; you had a kind of intensity. Joe didn't seem quite as ferocious, but he snuck in there with some good gets, and after a while I realized that he is more of a stealth player. As is frustratingly often the case, either of you obviously could have won on a different day, even against Matt.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and I'm glad we all got the chance to see the real you. Well, the made-up and edited real you, but at least now we have someone to picture when we read your messages. :)

Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Our first contestant: Disasters $800 (first round). "Blimp" for "dirigible" (or whatever Joe said ;) )?
Personally, I would neg it -- blimps are non-rigid and no more than a giant balloon, while dirigibles are rigid -- but that doesn't mean that the show wouldn't consider them all the same.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Sorry you couldn't pull off the victory, Suze. I didn't see the show until early this morning but I was rooting for you all the way.

FJ! was another instaget, just from the spelling of the words in the quote (I've never heard of the person who said it).

I wondered if they would neg the mispronunciation of "dirigible" (which is not the same thing as a blimp).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

About the message board, I wouldn't mind staying here forever because after all, since JBoard's debut in early July, how many one-time newbie posters came here and started a special thread to complain about something?
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Our first contestant: Disasters $800 (first round). "Blimp" for "dirigible" (or whatever Joe said ;) )?
Personally, I would neg it -- blimps are non-rigid and no more than a giant balloon, while dirigibles are rigid -- but that doesn't mean that the show wouldn't consider them all the same.
I said "airship," which Wikipedia and a bunch of online dictionaries all consider to be a synonym, so I think it would fly.