Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by NJCondon »

chuck5982 wrote:About the message board, I wouldn't mind staying here forever because after all, since JBoard's debut in early July, how many one-time newbie posters came here and started a special thread to complain about something?
I'm with him. I really like the idea of the board being run by the community rather than the production company: Fewer drive-bys, accountable (and light-handed) moderators, and the general feeling that the board is something to be valued for itself rather than as a necessary evil of marketing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

NJCondon wrote:
econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Our first contestant: Disasters $800 (first round). "Blimp" for "dirigible" (or whatever Joe said ;) )?
Personally, I would neg it -- blimps are non-rigid and no more than a giant balloon, while dirigibles are rigid -- but that doesn't mean that the show wouldn't consider them all the same.
I said "airship," which Wikipedia and a bunch of online dictionaries all consider to be a synonym, so I think it would fly.
Airship would be good.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I went on the Jeopardy! Facebook page the other day and behold- all the stupid complaints that one-shot posters used to start threads for, are now to be found there. It was funny to read that stuff for a few minutes, but it made me realize how great it was to have that gone.

I got FJ instantly the same way many people did- from the old English spelling, not because I recognized the quoted person's name or the quote wording itself. After such a thorough buzzer-ass-kicking, it was nice to have such a simple FJ. :)

Thanks for all the kind things everyone's said. I agree that Joe was a great player and could've won with a less buzzer-dominant player. When I was observing during rehearsals, I was worried about Matt's (and three others) great buzzer skills, but with Joe, I was worried about the knowledge. He's a well-read and well-rounded person who really loves the game. I wonder if he's the first exterminator to ever be on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:Hmmm . . . so that would mean that at least 41 people replied to each thread without looking at it.
From some of the posts on the old board, those numbers seem about right ... :mrgreen:
NJCondon wrote:I'm with him. I really like the idea of the board being run by the community rather than the production company: Fewer drive-bys, accountable (and light-handed) moderators, and the general feeling that the board is something to be valued for itself rather than as a necessary evil of marketing.
So do I, but the thing is that it's pretty much guaranteed that some conversation and boardies will be on the Sony board, perhaps posting dually, but it doesn't seem to make much sense. And, as I mentioned before, the best thing the Sony board has that this board will never have is an official link from jeopardy.com, we got a lot of good people (including myself) through that kind of endorsement, some bad too but that's always to be expected (they're weeded out pretty quickly).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair language".
Nit: I'm pretty sure "langage" was lacking a "u" as it was spelled in the clue. It jumped out at me, and I was waiting to see if Alex would pronounce it the same as the modern word, or try to pronounce it as written (like the way millions of people pronounce the word "ye" (as in "ye olde English") as "yee" rather than "the")
Yes, it was "langage" in the clue. That's the spelling Chaucer used in The Canterbury Tales as well. If I recall my Middle English, the correct pronunciation would have been something like lahn-GAZH-uh or lahn-GAHDJ-uh. I had fun correcting Alex's Middle English pronunciation since he always corrects my French. (You may think he's correcting the player who buzzed in, but he's looking right at ME.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Our second contestant: Nature $200: "Possum" for "opossum"? (If negged, I might, *might* claim that the "a" in my "what is a possum" response was actually an "o")
And our third contestant: American Women $1200: "America" for "America the Beautiful"?
Possum = Opossum. Keep that one.

Negative for America. America is itself considered a (different) song name, so I'd imagine it'd fall under the (Northern) Ireland rule.

Boffo day for me. 41/1 and Chaucer was instant. I have no doubt I'd've been wrecked though :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

OK, I guess I'm the only one who thought "Variant spellings -- must be a TOM -- The Faerie Queene -- it's gotta be Spenser".

Yep, I'm gonna be the one who blows the perfecto on the end-of-the-week poll this week.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Tom, I actually thought of Spenser and Fairie Queene when trying to consider if there were any possibilities beyond Chaucer. I discarded the idea quickly as too obscure for that clue, with no mention of Fairie or any other work.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Belated congrats on a great game! You were very poised and seemed to be having a good time.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Sorry to chime in a couple of days late -- having a heckuva busy week -- but I wanted to say you competed pretty gamely, Suze, and I'm glad you had so much fun hobnobbing with your green room compatriots. On to WWTBAM!!
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.