FJs for the 9/26/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 9/26/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 pm

In medieval times, an act of bravery got you dubbed a knight & won you a pair of golden these
27%
English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair langage"
76%
According to the Census, this point has progressed westward since the U.S. was founded & has moved southwest since the 1960s
94%
In February 1967 this Asian leader said his people would "never agree to negotiate under the threat of bombing"
86%
Aside from racquet sports, one of the 2 other Summer Olympic sports in which men may currently compete against women
54%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
U.S. BIRTHPLACES $1200: This Ohio city that was home to the Wright Brothers is considered the "Birthplace of Aviation"
68%
SHORT STORIES $1600: His "Franny" & "Zooey" stories were first published in the New Yorker
54%
DAMN YANKESS $800: Lincoln called this cartoonist "our best recruiting sergeant"
65%

Total votes: 78

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/26/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASE ORIGINS

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In medieval times, an act of bravery got you dubbed a knight & won you a pair of golden these

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH WRITERS

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
English poet Thomas Hoccleve, a contemporary of this man, called him the "firste fyndere of our fair langage"

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CHANGING U.S.A.

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
(Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) According to the Census, this point has progressed westward since the U.S. was founded & has moved southwest since the 1960s

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 20TH CENTURY

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In February 1967 this Asian leader said his people would "never agree to negotiate under the threat of bombing"

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OLYMPICS

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Aside from racquet sports, one of the 2 other Summer Olympic sports in which men may currently compete against women

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Spurs
Chaucer
Mean Center of Population
Ho Chi Minh
(1 of) Dressage/Equestrian or Sailing/Yachting
The players were 11/15 (73.33%) with a 1-3-3-3-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

U.S. BIRTHPLACES $1200: This Ohio city that was home to the Wright Brothers is considered the "Birthplace of Aviation"

SHORT STORIES $1600: His "Franny" & "Zooey" stories were first published in the New Yorker

DAMN YANKESS $800: Lincoln called this cartoonist "our best recruiting sergeant"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Dayton
J.D. Salinger
Thomas Nast
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue May 01, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/26/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to all involved for fixing the percentages and no longer making the vote count box necessary.

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm at 60% for the season on the FJ clues, so I expect a 3/5 next week to go with my opening 4/5 and 2/5 weeks.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Everything but the spurs. Was looking for a phrase with 'gold' or 'golden' in it; closest I could get was gloves, but not surprised it wasn't right. Another 4/5 week...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thought of wings, then stripes, never got to spurs.
Came up with riflery and thought I had a shot (ptp). Good, tough but gettable clue.
Dayton came to mind first, not sure what held me back.
In and out of the pool four times
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Everything but spurs. I thought "globes" and settled on "gloves", with zero confidence. When "spurs" came up, I thought "that doesn't make sense" before Alex said it was right. Never in a million years.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gauntlet for spurs, figuring the phrase they were hinting toward was "throw down the gauntlet."
Thought of Chaucer, went with Samuel Johnson.
No clue on the sport.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thought of shooting for the sport. Is there any reason why the sexes shouldn't be integrated for that one?

Might have had Dayton but my wife beat me to it. Of these I'm most proud of coming up with Nast. That one was pulled out of somewhere nast-y.

ETA: The poll is awesome now, thanks!
Last edited by boson on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

NA NA :D :D :(
NA NA :D

Watched 3 episodes this week.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :(

(Sad that I can't center or otherwise invisibly align my week's-end results when there's symmetry)

Not sure I've heard of earning one's spurs, and couldn't come across the correct line of thought on Friday. Thomas Nast is a name that keeps slipping my mind, and I'm not sure I've ever solidly known the Wright brothers' hometown.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
:mrgreen: :cry: :cry:

Even had you given me the correct answers I never would have got Friday's correct. I had no clue that any events were mixed competition.

No clue on the Salinger works and just couldn't come up with Nast quickly enough.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Woohoo!! Swept the FJs! And got Dayton, but the other two DDs got me.

I had a bit of an advantage though - I'm a major anything to do with horses freak, and so spurs and equestrian came to me instantly. Only one I had a little trouble with was figuring out how to phrase the center of poplulation response - but eventually phrased it that way. (considered demographic center, but figured center of population, or center of population distribution worked better.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Wasn't too upset about missing Monday's at the time. Now that I see it cost me a perfecto ... :cry:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 7-3
Extras: 4-2
Longest FJ winning streak: 4
Longest FJ losing streak: 1
5/5:0
4/5:1
3/5:1
2/5:0
1/5:0
0/5:0

I'm keeping my yearly stats in the weekly thread. I did this last year, thinking it would be the easiest way to keep up with my progress and not have to worry about losing the stats. Good thinking on my part there. :oops:

Add me to those who lost a perfect week by not earning my spurs. The only other one that gave me trouble was Friday, equestrian was a guess, but it counts.

The University of Dayton is the Flyers, that's how I remember the Wright's home. I did not know Nast had anything to do with the Civil War, but he was the only cartoonist from the 19th century I knew, so it was worth a guess. No chance on Sallinger.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

As already mentioned in the game thread, I went with Spenser instead of Chaucer, thinking the quote and its alternative spellings were a TOM not to be ignored.

And to answer the post above, apparently shooting was mixed at one time but isn't now (it seems the pool of prospective women competitors is large enough now to stage separate events; and no, I don't quite follow the logic of that either, but I'm not the IOC), which is something I had not noticed, so I said shooting as well, not having the benefit of Canadian TV and its endless coverage of equestrian events.

Really no excuse, considering the number of jokes I've made wondering how the judges can tell the difference between Princess Anne and her mount. Yeah, I'm gonna leave it at that...
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Missed NasT by a letter... (NasH. *sigh* )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:) :) :) :) :evil: dressage is a sport? seriously?
:oops: :cry: :) Shoulda got Dayton, no chance on Zooey.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote::) :) :) :) :evil: dressage is a sport? seriously?
:oops: :cry: :) Shoulda got Dayton, no chance on Zooey.
Not only is it a sport, it's apparently big enough to dope over:

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/spor ... 75787.html
Published: Monday, September 22, 2008
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — The United States was disqualified Monday from its fourth-place finish in the Olympic team dressage event for a positive drug test.

The International Equestrian Federation (FEI) said U.S. rider Courtney King's horse Mythilus tested positive for the banned substance felbinac. The medication is used as an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.

(Note, it WAS the horse that was doped, not the rider :D )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

W00t! Either I'm getting better or the clues are getting easier... or the statistics of small numbers are never reliable.
earendel

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

I imagine it's because it's early in the season but I went 5-5 in FJ! this week, which doesn't happen all that often. I also had no clue on the Salinger answer. As for Dayton, I work for the Army Corps of Engineers and we do construction work for the Air Force, including Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton. Not only that but much of the government-sponsored training I had to take was offered there, so I've been to the museum of flight at the base.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

:( :( :D :D :(
:( :( :D

Guessed "gloves" on Monday; I don't think that phrase is as familiar as the writers led us to believe. Thought of Samuel Johnson as the finder of English and assumed those spellings were common in his time. I loved Wednesday's clue because I have been researching about population centers recently and have even considered calculating them myself. Ho and Mao were the only Asian leaders I could think of and I correctly guessed that the clue was referring to the war. Went with archery on Friday; never would have guessed that either of those sports were co-ed.

Did not know Dayton but it would have been my first guess. Had to clam on the Zooey clue because I am always confusing Salinger with Steinbeck. I wasn't sure if Nast was Civil War-era but who else could it have been?