Monday, October 3, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 3, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6216, 2011-10-03

Joon Pahk game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Aleisa Farrington, a mother and cook from Dover, New Hampshire
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts
Chris Fleitas, a high school college prep counselor from San Francisco, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $82,901)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. Welcome to the show. Yeah, you heard right. $82,000 for just 2 games. Can he keep it going? That's the big question. We're gonna find out in this half-hour, as he faces Aleisa and Joon. Welcome to all of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, the first round of play. One Daily Double on the board, and you're going to find it in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARTISTS ON FILM (5/5)
FOR YOUR REFERENCE (4/5)
BASEBALL NICKNAMES (5/5)
I'M GAME (5/5)
THE HUMAN BODY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"AL"-X (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Chris: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Aleisa: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $3,600
Aleisa: $3,000
Chris: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Aleisa Farrington was introduced as a mother and cook, and I'm not too sure about some information on my card here. It says you were married either in front of or in a federal prison. Which was it?

Aleisa: It was in front of, and, no, neither one of us was an inmate. Uh, there is a defunct naval prison in the Portsmouth Harbor, and we got married on a boat. We were gonna go out to some islands out in the harbor, but it was too choppy, so they made us stay in the harbor, and we both loved the building, so we decided to do it right there.

Alex: Good for you. A special event taking place--

Aleisa: Yes.

Alex: --in a special location.

[Aleisa laughs.]

Alex: I like that.

Alex: Joon Pahk--college physics teacher and a crossword puzzle addict. I consider myself an addict because I do one puzzle a day. How many do you do?

Joon: Well, I do about

Alex: 40 puzzles a week, so...

Joon: Whoa. It averages out to five or six a day.

Alex: And is there one publication--a lot of people talk about The New York Times crossword puzzle being the most difficult on a regular basis. Is it, in fact?

Joon: Um, of the weeklies, yeah, it probably has the toughest puzzles. I'm sorry. Of the--the dailies. The--some of the weekly ones that come out only once a week are harder, like on--only on Sundays. They can be tough.

Alex: Now you have also composed some puzzles, right?

Joon: Yeah, I've constructed, um, a couple dozen puzzles, and I've been published in The New York Times and, uh, The Wall Street Journal, couple other places.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Now let's go to Chris Fleitas, our champ, college prep counselor. You have a strange pho--I say, "a strange phobia". All phobias are strange to people who don't have those phobias. What is yours?

Chris: Uh, I've got a weird relationship with buttons. Uh, I-I can wear a shirt that buttons all of the way down, uh, so I can go out in public and do things like this, but I really don't like polo shirts. I don't like, uh, I don't like a situation where the buttons don't continue down. I think this stems back to, uh, as a child, my, uh, my mother, uh, and I saw, uh, a band, uh, that was wearing a suit--uh, they were all wearing suits entirely covered in buttons, and she would threaten me when I--when I was kind of misbehaving with having to wear one of those.

Alex: Okay. You're okay with--

[Laughter]

Alex: --you're okay with zippers, though?

Chris: Zippers are great. [laughs]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Chris had $3,400, Joon had $3,600, and Aleisa was at $3,000. Chris wagered $2,000.

THE HUMAN BODY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue on a monitor.) The thyroid gland has two lobes that are connected by a bridge of tissue called this, also a geographic term for a similar-looking narrow strip of land

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOR YOUR REFERENCE $800: This word for a geographic dictionary once meant someone who writes for a newspaper

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $7,600
Chris: $6,800
Aleisa: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 3, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
20th CENTURY LIT (3/5)
GODLY RHYME TIME (5/5)
SOMETHING ABOUT MARY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
JERSEY TV (4/5)
ALL HAT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO CATTLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Aleisa: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Chris had $7,200, Joon had $14,800, and Aleisa was at $5,200. Joon wagered $3,500.

SOMETHING ABOUT MARY $2000: She co-wrote the popular 19th century work "Tales from Shakespear" with her brother Charles
(Joon: Who is Mary Dickens?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Chris had $7,200, Joon had $14,900, and Aleisa was at $6,000. Joon wagered $1,600.

ALL HAT $1600: It's not kosher, but Buster Keaton, Popeye Doyle & Justin Timberlake have all sported these round, flat hats

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
20th CENTURY LIT $800: His "And Now Good-bye" wasn't quite as popular as his "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"
(Joon: Who is Roth?)

20th CENTURY LIT $1600: Chapters in this Pulitzer Prize winner by Carol Shields include "Birth, 1905", "Marriage, 1927" & "Sorrow, 1965"

JERSEY TV $2000: This show on Oxygen follows the Scali family, who own & run an extravagant dress shop
(Aleisa: What's Jersey Style?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $21,300
Chris: $11,600
Aleisa: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REMEMBERING U.S. HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Joon: Wager $1,901 to cover Chris, but no more than $10,899 so as not to fall behind Aleisa's doubled score.
Chris: You have the hope of surpassing Joon if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,701 to force Joon to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $1,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Aleisa.
Aleisa: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Issued in 2011, a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of a major event in U.S. history depicts this stronghold

FINAL SCORES
Aleisa: $5,200 + $2,000 = $7,200 (What is Fort Sumter?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Chris: $11,600 + $11,598 = $23,198 (What is Fort Sumter?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joon: $21,300 + $7,500 = $28,800 (What is Ft. Sumter?) (New champion: $28,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $24,800, 31 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: $10,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Aleisa: $5,200, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 32/60 = .533
Chris: 14/59 = .237
Aleisa: 12/58 = .207
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE HUMAN BODY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows the clue on the monitor and demonstrates.) These fan-shaped muscles are used to lift the arms up as well as turn the arms inward

I'M GAME $200: The organization that governs this board game is FIDE, the Federation Internationale des Echecs
(Aleisa: What is checkers?)

GODLY RHYME TIME $2000: Hindu preserver god's bouillabaisses
(Alex: And you added the "fish", which you didn't need, but, uh, well done, young man.)

SOMETHING ABOUT MARY $1200: Check out the makeup on the woman here; born "Mary Kathlyn Wagner", she founded this cosmetics giant
(Chris: Who is Estee Lauder?)

ALL HAT $2000: A type of top hat popular in the 19th century was named for this "Iron Duke"
(Aleisa: Who is Bismarck?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
an isthmus
a gazetteer
Mary Lamb
porkpies
James Hilton
The Stone Diaries
Jersey Couture
Fort Sumter
the pectorals
chess
Vishnu's fish stews
Mary Kay
(the Duke of) Wellington
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 3, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by jeff6286 »

Remembering U.S. History
Issued in 2011, a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of a major event in U.S. history depicts this stronghold.
Spoiler
What is Fort Sumter?
Joon Pahk: $21,300+$7,500=$28,800...now a 1-day champion with $28,800
Chris Fleitas: $11,600+$11,598=$23.198
Aleisa Farrington: $5,200+$2,000=$7,200

Alex said that there were two places that we should have thought of for FJ!. Does anyone know what the second one was?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Very excited for tonight's game. Go, Joon and Chris!!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
CHris $11600, Joon $21300, Aleisa $5200. FJ! was a triple get. Clue was something to the effect a stamp honored the 150th anniversary of a important US History event pictured this stronghold(What is Fort Sumter?). Chris wagered $11598, and Joon wagered $7500 to get the Norma Brown(the only person to win the maximum amount in the Money Cards round on the original Jim Perry hosted Card SHarks) jackpot of $28,800 and his first win.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just when you think someone has such deep knowledge that they're going to have a long run, down they go. Way to go, Joon! Very impressive debut against someone who was going to be tough to beat. Buzzer speed and depth of knowledge -- you had 'em both. I've always felt like crossword puzzles are excellent preparation for Jeopardy, but I certainly don't do that many per day.

And damn. Can't believe a Freecell question came up. For one of my claims to fame (other than running this board, of course), Google my name and Freecell.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wow, that's almost an instaget. Only took as long as it tok me to subtract 150 from 2011. Ok, so an instaget after all.

Well done, Joon. Nice job not letting that significant DD miss to sideswipe you!
legendneverdies

alietr wrote:Just when you think someone has such deep knowledge that they're going to have a long run, down they go. Way to go, Joon! Very impressive debut against someone who was going to be tough to beat. Buzzer speed and depth of knowledge -- you had 'em both. I've always felt like crossword puzzles are excellent preparation for Jeopardy, but I certainly don't do that many per day.

And damn. Can't believe a Freecell question came up. For one of my claims to fame (other than running this board, of course), Google my name and Freecell.
Spoiler
WOnder if Joon was upset about missing the Charles and Mary Lamb "Shakespeare" DD, as Joon certainly knows Charles' pen name Elia
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Joon was a beast on the buzzer and also seemed to have a very good knowledge base. I found this board to be harder than the ones we have seen over the last couple of weeks. Chris didn't have the luxury of getting clues that he knew but his opponents didn't. I thought that the board was well-written, too.

FJ was an instant get, and it looked like it was for the contestants as well. I precalled the Gettysburg Address. I was happy that I was in the right time period.
Last edited by StevenH on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:And damn. Can't believe a Freecell question came up. For one of my claims to fame (other than running this board, of course), Google my name and Freecell.
Did you solve the supposedly unsolvable one? :)
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

That was amazing, Joon. Chris is fantastic, and Aleisa was a solid player, but you kicked some ass. Well done.

Once I did the math on FJ, I figured right away it had to be Ft. Sumter.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

alietr wrote:And damn. Can't believe a Freecell question came up. For one of my claims to fame (other than running this board, of course), Google my name and Freecell.
It turns out that your screen name and "freecell" is a Googlewhack (for now, at least)! --Bob
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

I am also wondering what Alex thought the second possibility was. FJ was an instaget, especially as we visited Charleston several times when my son was stationed there. Other than that, I had a real tough time with this board, except for the NJ TV category. (Once a Jersey girl...). And I expected Joon to say that the London Times crossword was the hardest. As far as the NY Times puzzle goes, Saturday is the killer one. Much tougher than Sunday for me.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My guess is that the second possibility was Appomattox. Not sure, though.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Suze wrote:Once I did the math on FJ, I figured right away it had to be Ft. Sumter.
I didn't even need to do the math, I've heard several times that this year is the sesquicentennial of the start of the Civil War - most of my pre-"Fort Sumter! Got it!" time was spent trying to recall the name of the S. Carolina fort where hostilities began.

(I'm actually surprised I've heard a lot about the sesquicentennial, given my location ... )
Bob78164 wrote:It turns out that your screen name and "freecell" is a Googlewhack (for now, at least)! --Bob
I think he meant his real name, which isn't that hard to find out.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Below average boards for me. No runs, a near shutout in 20th C. Lit, getting only the top clue. Charles and Mary Read I had never heard of. Picked up gazetteer trash.

FJ was an instaget.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote:My guess is that the second possibility was Appomattox. Not sure, though.
The clue said "stronghold", so I don't really see how Alex would think a courthouse would fit. I thought maybe Fort Knox, which I now learn was actually built in 1861, so it could have fit the date as well although clearly nothing really significant happened there in that time period. Fort Donelson and Fort Henry were the sites of two Civil War battles won by Ulysses S. Grant in Tennessee, and maybe people could have confused Fort Henry with Fort McHenry, which was the site of a skirmish in the War of 1812 that inspired the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner, so maybe Alex was thinking of something along those lines.

Really though, if you are able to make it onto Jeopardy! and hear 1861+stronghold+major event in U.S. history, you really should be able to come up with Fort Sumter. I don't know what Alex was talking about, but nothing else really seems to come close.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, awesome get by Joon on "Vishnu fish stew". Alex indicated that they only wanted "Vishnu stew", but Joon's response not only was more precise, but it rhymed better as well! He deserved the win for that get alone. :D
legendneverdies

SkoolRN wrote:I am also wondering what Alex thought the second possibility was. FJ was an instaget, especially as we visited Charleston several times when my son was stationed there. Other than that, I had a real tough time with this board, except for the NJ TV category. (Once a Jersey girl...). And I expected Joon to say that the London Times crossword was the hardest. As far as the NY Times puzzle goes, Saturday is the killer one. Much tougher than Sunday for me.
Monday is the easiest NY Times Xword of the week, and they get progressively harder through Saturday, and in general, Sunday's level of difficulty is equivalent to about Thursday's
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I took Alex's remarks to mean Fort McHenry as the other possible guess with the year math narrowing it down to correct one.

Read the clue this way: Issued in 2011, a stamp commemorating the anniversary of a major event in U.S. history depicts this stronghold

The Alamo was already used to make sure the players didn't go to San Antonio. To me stronghold means fort. Sumter and McHenry would seem to be the way to go. Add in "150th" and the clue should go 95%+ in regular play for the contestants.

Chris sure lost his mojo from Friday to tonight. His buzzer timing was a hair off and with Joon on the mark it made Chris roadkill. Chris needed to find away to adjust his timing ever so slightly and he was unable to do it enough. I don't think it was the material. Chris proved too much last week. Congrats to Joon for stopping a TOC quality player. I'll admit to checking a couple of Facebook friends list over the weekend belong to TOCers to see if Chris was on there.

No matter how good the players are there can always be a surprise stumper. Hilton as the writer for Mr. Chips doesn't get a response? Some Hilton works are still on school reading lists, yes? Or am I feeling old again?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Physics teachers who used to play quizbowl - represent! Way to go Joon! Some impressive gets by all three, on some rather tough questions. I found the lit questions particularly tough. Looking forward to the rest of the week.