Monday, January 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6746, 2014-01-06

CONTESTANTS
Mary Manhardt, a documentary film editor from New York, New York
Eric Brach, a teacher and author from Culver City, California
Sarah Olson, a project coordinator from El Cerrito, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $27,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. As we move into the new year, I would like to take a moment to mention that most of the contestants who wind up playing on Jeopardy! come to us as the result of online testing, and if you'd like to try out for the program, you can do that online later this week. Go to jeopardy.com for details. Mary and Eric, welcome aboard. Sarah, good to see you again. I hope you had a lovely weekend. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? We have one Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"U". "S". CITIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with the letter "U" or the letter "S".)
GREEN THINGS (4/5)
TV ANCHORS AWEIGH! (1/4)
MEYER TO NAUVOO (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will relate to something you can find In the Encyclopedia Americana between Meyer and Nauvoo.)
BODY PART PREFIXES (5/5)
SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR (4/5) (Kelly: From L.A.'s Science Center, clues about its adventures as it went around the world nearly 5,000 times.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 10 R, 2 W
Eric: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Mary: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Sarah had $2,400, Eric had $600, and Mary was at $600. Eric made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

"U". "S". CITIES $600: Twin city of Champaign, Illinois

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $3,400
Eric: $3,000
Mary: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mary Manhardt is from New York, and this woman did a very nice thing some years ago. She adopted.

Mary: Adopted a wonderful boy who was 7 years old at the time from Ethiopia. My son, Eob. I have visited that country and there are a lot of kids who needed adopting.

Alex: But you didn't stop there.

Mary: About a year and a half ago, I found out his sisters are available for adoption, and I'm in the process of adopting them, too.

Alex: How many sisters are we talking about?

Mary: We're talking about three.

Alex: So you'll have four kids.

Mary: Yes.

Alex: Way to go. Good for you.

Alex: All right, Eric Brach from Culver City, California, teaches high school and college to a specialized group of young men and women.

Eric: That's correct, Alex. Uh, I teach in a program for pre-police officers, students who believe they want to become, uh, future members of the law enforcement community.

Alex: Now, what's the most important thing they have to learn?

Eric: Interestingly, it's writing. It's one of the toughest things, uh, for pre-police officers to do is to know how to take notes at a crime scene and interview a suspect or a--or a witness.

Alex: Okay. And you help them in that regard?

Eric: I do.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: Sarah Olson is our champion. She is a two-day champion, as you heard at the beginning of our show today. But she's embarrassed about missing one of our clues last week. And that had to do with...

Sarah: The King and I. There was a question about one of the main actors from The King and I.

Alex: But why would you be embarrassed about missing that clue?

Sarah: Well, it was one my favorite movies growing up. I liked a lot of the old musicals. And I was actually in The King and I playing the wife of the character whose name I didn't get in Final.

Alex: Okay. Boo, hiss. A moment... passed.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GREEN THINGS $1000: In the green species of this lizard, the male sports a colorful throat flap; puffed out if he's feeling frisky or territorial

"U". "S". CITIES $1000: Seat of Oneida County, between Albany & Buffalo
(Sarah: What is Schenectady?)

TV ANCHORS AWEIGH! $800: "File" this blonde anchor & lawyer under Fox News where she hosts a show weekdays from 9 to 10 P.M.
(Mary: Who is Nancy Grace?)

TV ANCHORS AWEIGH! $400: From his CBS bio: "In addition to his daily anchor role... (he) continues to provide many stories to '60 Minutes'"
(Eric: Who is Dan Rather?)

TV ANCHORS AWEIGH! $1000: In 2011 he found himself in the situation of moderating the first-ever CNN/Tea Party Republican debate

SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) Flying above war-torn Rwanda in 1994, Endeavour used space-borne imaging radar to penetrate clouds over the Virunga volcano chain in an effort to help researchers track & protect this endangered species
[The end-of round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $5,000
Sarah: $3,000
Mary: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS & AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S A RAP (5/5)
SLEEPING WITH THE "NME" (4/4)
EUROPEAN HISTORY (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EAT, DRINK (4/5)
& BE MARY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mary: 14 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Eric: 6 R, 0 W
Sarah: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sarah had $3,800, Eric had $5,000, and Mary was at $2,200. Mary wagered $2,000.

BOOKS & AUTHORS $1600: "The Coral Sea" & "Mutiny" were 2 of the stories in this 1947 James Michener work

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mary who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Sarah had $5,400, Eric had $12,600, and Mary was at $12,200. Mary wagered $3,000.

EUROPEAN HISTORY $800: In May 1916 the British executed by firing squad 16 leaders from this rebellion of the month before

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EUROPEAN HISTORY $1200: A 1995 peace plan signed in Dayton, Ohio called for dividing this nation into 2 parts: a Croat federation & a Serb republic
(Sarah: What is Yugoslavia?)

& BE MARY $2000: Her boarding house, where John Wilkes Booth hatched his plots, is now a restaurant called the Wok N Roll

EAT, DRINK $2000: Devised in Boston in 1946, the name of this juice brand combines patriotism & convenience

EUROPEAN HISTORY $1600: The council of this Italian city was a series of conferences begun in 1545 to discuss Catholic doctrinal issues

EUROPEAN HISTORY $2000: From 1793 to 1794 the Committee of Public Safety ruled France with power in the hands of members of this "club"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mary: $18,800
Eric: $12,600
Sarah: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY ACTRESSES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Mary: Wager $6,401 to cover Eric, but no more than $7,999 so as not to fall behind Sarah's doubled score.
Eric: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Mary wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sarah: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She originated 2 famous Broadway roles: one later played on film by Marilyn Monroe, another by Barbra Streisand

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $5,400 + $5,400 = $10,800 (Who is Fanny Brice? Carol Channing?) (3rd place)
Eric: $12,600 - $100 = $12,500 (Who is Elizabeth Brach?) (2nd place)
Mary: $18,800 - $4,399 = $14,401 (Who is Carol Chann) (New champion: $14,401)
(Alex: Eric, let's take--you're smiling, and why are you smiling? Because you paid a tribute to Elizabeth Brach, who is your...)
(Eric: Grandmother.)
(Alex: Your grandmother. Okay. You're gonna lose money because of Granny.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mary: $16,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Eric: $12,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sarah: $5,400, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Mary: 18/60 = .300
Sarah: 15/58 = .259
Eric: 15/59 = .254
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BODY PART PREFIXES $600: Cephalo-
(Sarah: What is brain?)

BODY PART PREFIXES $800: Hystero-
(Sarah: Uh, what is female?)
(Alex: Be a little more specific.)

GREEN THINGS $200: It's the green isle seen in an aerial shot

"U". "S". CITIES $800: "S"eat of Onondaga County, between Albany & Buffalo
(Mary: What is Schenectady?)

SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) On Endeavour's first mission, 3 crew members stood atop the shuttle to capture & repair an out-of-control satellite; the hazardous 8½-hour procedure set a record for the longest EVA--this type of activity

SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) In 1993, Endeavour made the first service mission to this malfunctioning project launched three years earlier & gave it what NASA called "a new pair of glasses"

SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) In 1998, Endeavour carried the U.S.-built Unity module into orbit, docking it with the Russian-built Zarya module, marking the first step in the assembly of this multi-national structure

SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) Orbiting 200 miles over Russia, in 1998, Endeavour made a flawless docking with this Russian craft whose name meant "peace" to bring it water, supplies, & a new American crew member

EAT, DRINK $1200: It's the Friday evening
foodstuff seen here

SLEEPING WITH THE "NME" $2000: In the lab, swirl liquids by hand with this flask

CORRECT RESPONSES
Urbana
an anole
Utica
Megyn Kelly
Scott Pelley
Wolf Blitzer
the mountain gorilla
Tales of the South Pacific
the Easter Rebellion
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Mary Surratt
Minute Maid
Trent
the Jacobins
Carol Channing
head
uterus
Ireland
Syracuse
extravehicular
the Hubble Space Telescope
the ISS (the International Space Station)
Mir
challah
Erlenmeyer
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Broadway Actresses
She originated 2 famous Broadway roles: one later played on film by Marilyn Monroe, another by Barbra Streisand.

Spoiler
Who is Carol Channing? Sarah crossed out Fanny Brice and gave the correct response; Eric said Elizabeth Brach (his grandmother); Mary said Carol Chann, ruled incorrect

Mary Manhardt: $18,800-$4,399=$14,401...now a 1-day champion with $14,401
Eric Brach: $12,600-$100=$12,500
Sarah Olson: $5,400+$5,400=$10,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Zero chance for me on FJ, wrote down Helen Reddy just to have something.

She should have been BMSed on William.

Wonderful wagering by all three players. Can't wait to see Keith's video.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Blepho- was my only miss in prefix. NHOI, and I'm surprised that it wasn't a TS.

Loved how Eric's first Forrest Bounce nabbed a DD right out of the gate.

Surprisingly, I ran Meyer-Nauvoo and skunked Green. "Green island" didn't get me anywhere close to Ireland (I almost said Iceland).

0/4 in Anchors. I knew Pelley = CBS, but didn't know that he was on 60 Minutes as well. Also clammed on Williams since I was fearing a BMS on a surname that generic.

I derped up U/S Cities three times over:

1. My mind wandered just long enough on the "U" "S" DD just long enough for "Champaign" not to trigger anything, and forgetting the category didn't help.

2. Me on US for $400: "Oh, city in Georgia. Atlanta, Columbus, Macon, Athens, but none of those begin with U or S. What am I missing?"

3. On US for $1000, I was also stuck in the S's and was never going to get to Utica. I loved that Schenectady was a neg twice.

====

Traveling Pants was my only get in Authors, oddly. I blanked on Grisham, and clammed on Staircase in case (ha!) it might be Stairway instead.

Should I know Mary Landrieu? Blessed Virgin Mary seemed easier by far.

2/5 in Food. NHO challah, saw no way to get Apple at $1600, and "patriotism + convenience" wasn't going to get me to Minute Maid (and not just because I only drink Tropicana and Simply Orange).

Gunmetal gray? NHOI.

0/5 in European History.

Grandmaster Flash really stuck out to me in the Rap category, since he was at $800 and the only one of the five that I'd never heard of before.

====

No guess on FJ!

The champ should've skipped the first name so she could get "Channing" down in time. She's lucky that didn't cost her.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Went with Fanny Brice. Never would have gotten Carol Channing.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The champ should've skipped the first name so she could get "Channing" down in time.
Agreed. And that will haunt her for the REST OF HER L.... wait, she won.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Trebek, I love you, but you're never allowed to recite rap lyrics ever again.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

As much as it violates Boyd's Rule to do so, I have to give props, that was a ballsy wager and it paid off!
esrever

Post by esrever »

It was nice to see Mary get four of the clues in "And Be Mary." I was surprised when Mary didn't start the DJ round with a pick from the "Mary" category. At the end, she looked surprised that she'd won.

Picked up Lach trash on "Utica" and "Mary Surratt."

Didn't get FJ. Wrote down Fannie Brice, like one contestant did before crossing the name out.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote:Went with Fanny Brice. Never would have gotten Carol Channing.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The champ should've skipped the first name so she could get "Channing" down in time.
And that FJ wager will haunt her for the REST OF HER L... wait, she won.

Plus, after being ruled incorrect she was entering the haunting phase because she can't add/subtract. Wait, she still won!
WJMorris3 wrote:that was a ballsy wager and it paid off!
No it was not. It was exactly the opposite. She had no balls whatsoever.
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

Golf wrote:
And that FJ wager will haunt her for the REST OF HER L... wait, she won.

Plus, after being ruled incorrect she was entering the haunting phase because she can't add/subtract. Wait, she still won!
She can most certainly add and subtract. Her wager very nicely covers Eric's wager if he wagers to lock out Sarah. Eric can wager no more than 1800 to stay ahead of Sarah if she doubles up, and that would put him at 14400 on a make. Like I said, ballsy wager given it risks being overtaken on a triple get (if Eric were to double up), but it worked this time!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So why did you not like the wager?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

But they knew what she meant, they should have taken it. They need to......wait, she won.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Got Carol Channing only because of Ryan Stiles impression. Knew she had a few roles that were made famous.

video for those who have not seen it on Whose Line? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWAXJEe7Ve0
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

Bamaman wrote:So why did you not like the wager?
It's a personal preference of mine, but I do believe that from the lead, you should bet to win the game if you are correct, independent of what the other players do. If Eric were to double up and get it right, then we'd look at it and say why didn't you bet to lock him out?!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I detest any wager where the leader can answer FJ correctly and lose. It signifies a player with zero confidence in herself.

And before anyone else brings it up, the outcome of one trial means nothing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:And before anyone else brings it up, the outcome of one trial means nothing.
I think the outcome of the OJ trial meant something.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I know Mary Landrieu?
I got Landrieu on the entirely scientific principle of French-sounding name + southern state = Louisiana.

Not a guess on Final, ending my run at 15.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

WJMorris3 wrote:
It's a personal preference of mine, but I do believe that from the lead, you should bet to win the game if you are correct, independent of what the other players do. If Eric were to double up and get it right, then we'd look at it and say why didn't you bet to lock him out?!
It was a big risk, but maybe she felt he wouldn't be a Broadway expert so it was worth a shot. In his spot, I'd have made the same bet (or no more needed than to protect second place). Had the category been Presidents or Baseball, I'd have gone all in from second.

Not sure what I'd have done from the lead there. (Though I'd have bet bigger on that last DD, so I'd have had at least a crush). If he came across as someone who would really know a lot about Broadway, then I'd have made the MSB and hoped for the best.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Plactus wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I know Mary Landrieu?
I got Landrieu on the entirely scientific principle of French-sounding name + southern state = Louisiana.
It doesn't sound remotely French to me, but whatever.