Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 7, 2014

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 7, 2014

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Scored 41, could've been 44 without silly errors. One of the pitfalls of doing this fast is not being able to get the exact sense of the question.

I thought the state was being asked for in the cities question. Put down Georgia instead of Atlanta. Answered Sam instead of green eggs and ham thinking they were asking for the narrator. Put down pentagonal instead of pentagon, thinking it was a better objective. Guess the lesson is to read better before answering :oops:
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Henry2054 wrote:Yikes. That was rough. I'm kicking myself for at least a couple of obvious blunders. The aforementioned "Sam I Am" instead of "Green Eggs and Ham". "Atlanta" instead of "Georgia". Uggh.
I made those same mistakes. Its due to the way the questions were written.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

And once more into the breach with a comfortable (though disappointing) passing score of 42. I haven't had an in-person audition since 2009 so maybe now I'll get one. Wasn't eligible for the test in 2010, passed in 2011 and 2012 without an audition and had a technical glitch in 2013. So, it's about time!

I fell for the Rice/Meyer bait and put down Georgia instead of Atlanta. Typed Richard III then erased one of the "I"'s. Maybe they'll give it to me since spelling doesn't count? :)

Went with Instagram instead of YouTube. Couldn't get "argot" out of my mind with "lingo" occurring to me just a second too late.

Pirouetted through plie then jete and then ran out of time. Another few seconds and I would have probably had it.

Had no chance at McMillan. Although I've probably heard of her, no way was I pulling that. Simply froze on Catherine, but certainly should have gotten her.

I fell like I should have scored 3 to 5 higher, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. No matter where the passing score is these days, my 42 should be safe enough.

And to quote Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part."
BobF

Post by BobF »

36 or 37. I typed in the Cath of Catherine. My fingers were so damn cold as I arrived at home at 6:52 due to a big traffic jam, otherwise I would have had a couple more letters of Catherine in there.

I guess I should blame my own frugality for not turning on the heat until in my car until I really feel it's necessary.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

stevo4212 wrote: Does Alaska work for 41?
Of course. When the last three words of the clue are "baked" this state, it's obvious they're asking for Alaska.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

sherder wrote:
plasticene wrote:Thanks, sherder, for the great quality video and amazingly quick job getting it uploaded!Are you planning to do a video each night? I was planning on recording my test on Thursday night, but mine will show my answers being typed in and probably won't look quite as pretty as yours did.
Glad the video worked for you and MarkBarrett, and whoever else watched it. Good luck on Thursday, plasticene!

I'm planning to do the next two, and I'm hoping they go as smoothly as tonight. The DH and I just watch the questions go by and have discussions on the questions that we find interesting, so even for fun, I'm not typing answers. I'll try to pay closer attention to the board and get a spot on the first page.
Awesome! Thanks very much, especially for making the video easy to find via youtube search (I avoided the thread to avoid being spoiled, hoping somebody would post a video) For me, playing along with the video is the only "true" way of doing the test so I love it when people post videos, so it annoys me a bit that Canadians aren't allowed to take the test "for fun".

Looking forward to "playing along" with the next two, will watch your youtube channel!

(Obviously nobody cares about my exact score, but I'll add another data point to the "scored higher on this test than I usually do" group - possibly my highest score, actually)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

BobF wrote:
stevo4212 wrote: Does Alaska work for 41?
Of course. When the last three words of the clue are "baked" this state, it's obvious they're asking for Alaska.
I think the question is if "What is Alaska?" (instead of "What is Baked Alaska") is a valid response.

Given the wording ("baked" this state), I think "Alaska" is actually the correct response, but "baked Alaska" would also be acceptable.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DadofTwins wrote:MomofTwins got 35, but only played it off the transcript. I keep telling her she should take it for real, but she's afraid they'll pick her and she'll have to go on TV.

49 for me, missing only the "Waiting to Exhale" author.
OK, I'm impressed. 42-44 was within my grasp if I remembered everything I actually know. Certainly no higher. To get basically everything...no one can be that lucky; that's just good work.

Whodoyouthinkyouare, Schlieman?
Milpool
Contributor

Post by Milpool »

38 for me. I, too, had some problems with the wording of the questions on the test. I was another who answered Sam I Am instead of the title of the book. I also initially entered Georgia for the "State Capital" question before trying at the last second to switch it back to Atlanta... I believe my response was "Atl", though I may have only gotten two letters out.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Just played off the transcript with a colleague (who took the test for real last night) over my shoulder. Drew a blank on most of the literature questions, which was embarrassing. Got 39/50. A solid passing grade but I feel like I should have done better.

(My six-year-old daughter, whose first day of kindergarten I missed to tape J!, insists that I'm going to go on the show again, despite me telling her I'm ineligible...)
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

47/50 from the transcript, taking it tonight and pumped! Missed "lingo" (wtf?) "fiddler on the roof" and "los angeles"

Hope tonights test is as easy as this one was!
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
movieman
Contributor

Post by movieman »

This seems a lot like the test that was offered to those in the Pacific time zone. I wonder when the online test recap & discussion will be posted for that particular test.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

44 for me from reading the questions here in the thread. I did screw up the "Green Eggs and Ham" one so should have gotten 45 if my reading comprehension was better. :) My dumbest miss was Youtube. Just drew a complete blank on that one.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

movieman wrote:This seems a lot like the test that was offered to those in the Pacific time zone. I wonder when the online test recap & discussion will be posted for that particular test.
Everybody yesterday took the same test.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am probably taking the test for real tonight, but I got a 36 on this first one. I think that all but maybe 3 of my misses came in the first half!
movieman
Contributor

Post by movieman »

It seems like some of the questions for those taking the Pacific time zone test were in a different order than for those taking the Eastern time zone test.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

They give different test for each time zone. Last night (the 7th) was Eastern, tonight is Central, and the Pacific test will be tomorrow.

If you are talking about the transcript from the Pacific test that is floating around, that was bumped from last year.
Teems with quiet fun.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Awesome! Thanks very much, especially for making the video easy to find via youtube search (I avoided the thread to avoid being spoiled, hoping somebody would post a video) For me, playing along with the video is the only "true" way of doing the test so I love it when people post videos, so it annoys me a bit that Canadians aren't allowed to take the test "for fun".

Looking forward to "playing along" with the next two, will watch your youtube channel!

(Obviously nobody cares about my exact score, but I'll add another data point to the "scored higher on this test than I usually do" group - possibly my highest score, actually)
No problem - new one is uploaded. I don't understand the logic behind not allowing Canadians to take the test for fun.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

John Boy wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:MomofTwins got 35, but only played it off the transcript. I keep telling her she should take it for real, but she's afraid they'll pick her and she'll have to go on TV.

49 for me, missing only the "Waiting to Exhale" author.
OK, I'm impressed. 42-44 was within my grasp if I remembered everything I actually know. Certainly no higher. To get basically everything...no one can be that lucky; that's just good work.

Whodoyouthinkyouare, Schlieman?
Not Schliemann by a long shot. Perhaps this is more a symptom of having spent the better part of the last decade trying to get inside the heads of the writers.

It's dark and lonely in here. So cold. So very cold . . .
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

46/50, missing Youtube (Instagram), aorta (carotid artery, and I know I've done that before), Catherine de' Medici (Marie de' Medici), and Terry McMillan (Toni Morrison, see the problem there?)

Add me to the I-started-typing-Edna St. Vincent Millay-before-deciding-there-was-a-more-likely-option list (my actual thought was - "Wait, would that be considered 3 names or 4??")

Thanks to all for posting transcripts and video!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago