Other than making the cut for audition, does Online Score matter?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Other than making the cut for audition, does Online Score matter?

Post by koam »

If the cutoff for making auditions is 35 or higher, once you've made the audition, do they further consider your Online Test score in contestant selection? Does it make a difference if you get a 38 or a 48 online? Or is your performance at the audition the only criterion for making the contestant list?
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Other than making the cut for audition, does Online Score matter?

Post by whoisalexjacob »

koam wrote:If the cutoff for making auditions is 35 or higher, once you've made the audition, do they further consider your Online Test score in contestant selection? Does it make a difference if you get a 38 or a 48 online? Or is your performance at the audition the only criterion for making the contestant list?
If I had to guess, I'd say the online score doesn't matter after you audition.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

Online score was never brought up in any of my three auditions, so I'm guessing it means nothing once you've been chosen.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Who knows. My advice would be to get a 43 on the online test, then a 41 on the real deal.
earendel

Post by earendel »

koam wrote:If the cutoff for making auditions is 35 or higher, once you've made the audition, do they further consider your Online Test score in contestant selection? Does it make a difference if you get a 38 or a 48 online? Or is your performance at the audition the only criterion for making the contestant list?
It may not make a difference, but some have surmised that if an auditioner does poorly on the onsite test in comparison to the online test, the contestant coordinators might be scratching their heads.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
BobF

Post by BobF »

Yes, it looks great on your resume. </sarcasm>
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

At one of my in-person auditions, I seem to recall Maggie saying that when choosing actual contestants, they may consider everything: online test score, in-person test score, and how you come across in the mock game and interview. I think the latter is by far the most important though.
Teems with quiet fun.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

immaf wrote:At one of my in-person auditions, I seem to recall Maggie saying that when choosing actual contestants, they may consider everything: online test score, in-person test score, and how you come across in the mock game and interview. I think the latter is by far the most important though.
Lately, I would say it's been a lot of how you come across in the mock game and interview, some of how you come across in the mock game and interview, and a bit of how you come across in the mock game and interview that factors into the selection.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Austin Powers wrote:Who knows. My advice would be to get a 43 on the online test, then a 41 on the real deal.
Have you ever actually taken a dive like this or do you plan to? I don't think I could bring myself to do it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Who knows. My advice would be to get a 43 on the online test, then a 41 on the real deal.
Have you ever actually taken a dive like this or do you plan to? I don't think I could bring myself to do it.
No; I'm Aesop's scorpion.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

Yeah, thinking somewhere in the 38-46 range on both tests is about where you want to be as far as actually making the show.

I can think of a number of people who are capable of 47+ on both tests that have gotten on so I don't think it's totally impossible (but I'm curious at maybe seeing some anecdotal numbers). So... any posters here that have done 47+ on both tests and then appeared on America's favorite quiz show?
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
I've done it a couple times. Hasn't helped.
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote:
It may not make a difference, but some have surmised that if an auditioner does poorly on the onsite test in comparison to the online test, the contestant coordinators might be scratching their heads.
My own assumption is that they're too busy at auditions picking contestants to scratch their heads - or care about how folks did online, if those folks are doing well in the room. If they're not doing well in the room, they're out anyway.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Based on my experience, the in person test at the audition counts more than the online one as taking it in person shows what you're truly made of.
However, both scores will never be revealed to you. What matters most is the interview to see how camera friendly you are etc.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:
immaf wrote:At one of my in-person auditions, I seem to recall Maggie saying that when choosing actual contestants, they may consider everything: online test score, in-person test score, and how you come across in the mock game and interview. I think the latter is by far the most important though.
Lately, I would say it's been a lot of how you come across in the mock game and interview, some of how you come across in the mock game and interview, and a bit of how you come across in the mock game and interview that factors into the selection.
Stop stealing my tag line basis. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Schliemann wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:
I've done it a couple times. Hasn't helped.
You really have? Why would you still think you're in a ringer file, then?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

earendel wrote:
Yep, I agree. I think the in-person quiz is more a "sanity check" (i.e., to make sure the person in the room is indeed the person who took the online test). From my experience (and from others on this board), the in-person test is a marginally easier than the online version -- plus you have the ability to go back and correct a wrong or nonexistant answer should it come to you later on during the test. At that point, they're more concerned if (a) you're who you said you were, testing-wise, and (b) how well you perform in a game situation; the latter is what they're looking for more so than the other.

(In other words -- they already know you're smart and know stuff, or you wouldn't have passed the test in the first place. So, they need to see the other part of what they want in a contestant -- personality, stage presence, quick thinking.)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think the in-person quiz is more a "sanity check" (i.e., to make sure the person in the room is indeed the person who took the online test).
Probably also weeding out people who might have gotten some illicit help on the online test (i.e., cheated). And secondarily, telling people to expect a written test probably serves as a deterrent.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Because of computer glitches, I did rather poorly on the online test. I believe I got 35 correct out of 50. At the audition, I did much better: 47 out of 50. I doubt that my test scores mattered very much. I think I was chosen as a contestant because I made people laugh during the interview. Being personable and amusing counts for a lot. When you're asked what you'll do with your winnings, have an unusual answer.
davey

Post by davey »

Magna wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think the in-person quiz is more a "sanity check" (i.e., to make sure the person in the room is indeed the person who took the online test).
Probably also weeding out people who might have gotten some illicit help on the online test (i.e., cheated). And secondarily, telling people to expect a written test probably serves as a deterrent.
Except that there's no way they could determine such a thing by a difference in test scores - nor, if you get a passing score at the audition and perform admirably, would they have any reason to.