Other than making the cut for audition, does Online Score matter?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Other than making the cut for audition, does Online Score matter?

Post by Magna »

I've been invited to two, if that helps. The way they have spoken about it suggests that a lot of people who could be on the show just don't happen to make it. They seemed fine with people auditioning several times (after they are out of the database), and they didn't seem to hold previous auditions against people. I did see a few people who were clearly not going to make it on the show even with practice, and maybe they are coded in some way to keep them off future invite lists. But for the most part the auditioners seemed passable or better.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
John Boy wrote:I'm bumping this to keep it up near the top so I can get an answer. I have wondered whether people who have been to an audition following an online quiz, but don't get selected to be on the show, are somehow put on a list of "people we won't invite to further auditions" because they've already been passed over once, and there are so few audition slots available...or whether the selection process is somehow more random than that.
I've been invited to three myself (although I missed the last one due to a massive pile-up on the interstate) and I'm as boring as dirt, so ....
And let us not forget the example of Vijay Balse.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Magna wrote:I did see a few people who were clearly not going to make it on the show even with practice, and maybe they are coded in some way to keep them off future invite lists. But for the most part the auditioners seemed passable or better.
An argument can be made that while it might seem unfair to the many excluded to re-audition some participants, the second time through the process should show major improvement towards being the kind of contestant that Jeopardy! wants on the show, as opposed to first-timers whose unknown in-person skill set turns out to be lacking. I can see there being some code that rules out for future calls participants who just don't seem to have it and another that says that this one is worth a second look. Then again, they might just take the path of least resistance and make audition calls totally random, figuring that with their audition schedule, they'll have more than enough excellent candidates emerge.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

RandyG wrote: I can see there being some code that rules out for future calls participants who just don't seem to have it and another that says that this one is worth a second look.
I expect they don't exclude people for just not being all that great at one or two auditions, especially if it's something that could change (blah personality, not playing the game well, clumsy responses to coordinators' questions, etc.) I was thinking more of the occasional person with some more or less permanent issue that makes them unsuitable or disqualified. I suppose they might also flag someone for serious misbehavior.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

John Boy wrote:
John Boy wrote:
demomoke wrote:Online score was never brought up in any of my three auditions, so I'm guessing it means nothing once you've been chosen.
You've been invited to three auditions in the era of the online test?
I'm bumping this to keep it up near the top so I can get an answer.
I got The Call after my third in-person audition (all in the online test era)...

-a.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

kickerofelves wrote:
John Boy wrote:
John Boy wrote:
demomoke wrote:Online score was never brought up in any of my three auditions, so I'm guessing it means nothing once you've been chosen.
You've been invited to three auditions in the era of the online test?
I'm bumping this to keep it up near the top so I can get an answer.
I got The Call after my third in-person audition (all in the online test era)...

-a.
OK, that's useful information. Thanks.

Now if I just knew how you got three auditions after only eight years that the online quiz has been in existence....How do you stuff THAT ballot box?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I honestly think it's luck of the draw. I too have had three in-person auditions in the online era. And two in the postcard era, all without getting the call (yet). Vijay Balse is my hero.

One exception, if you are invited to an in-person audition, and cannot make it, they will probably ask you to choose another audition city. If you do that (it happened to me once) I think you are pretty much guaranteed of an invite to your alternate city.
Teems with quiet fun.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Isn't it fun to speculate about things that we most likely will never be able to do anything but speculate about. ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:
John Boy wrote:I'm bumping this to keep it up near the top so I can get an answer. I have wondered whether people who have been to an audition following an online quiz, but don't get selected to be on the show, are somehow put on a list of "people we won't invite to further auditions" because they've already been passed over once, and there are so few audition slots available...or whether the selection process is somehow more random than that.
I've been invited to three myself (although I missed the last one due to a massive pile-up on the interstate) and I'm as boring as dirt, so ....
Vijay gives me hope every year.

I can't remember, though, he said that he got on after something like 16 tries, but were these all auditions, or were they just taking the test? (Since I have yet to have an unsuccessful audition, much less any audition at all, the hope Vijay's story brings me comes from my tests not being marked for audition year after year (this is year 6 I believe, we'll see how this one goes)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

dhkendall wrote:
Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:

I can't remember, though, he said that he got on after something like 16 tries, but were these all auditions, or were they just taking the test? (Since I have yet to have an unsuccessful audition, much less any audition at all, the hope Vijay's story brings me comes from my tests not being marked for audition year after year (this is year 6 I believe, we'll see how this one goes)
IIRC, it was over 16 years, not 16 tries.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Mark B wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:

IIRC, it was over 16 years, not 16 tries.
ONLY 16 years! That ain't nothin'.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

slam wrote: ONLY 16 years! That ain't nothin'.
Right? This year marks the 19th since my first audition. I know I'm not the longest one here. :)

Just for grins, here's the audition letter from my first try. A lovely 700 mile drive and the one and only old-style audition test that I failed. As you can see, Alex was there for that one.

Francois40
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Francois40 »

FireAntsDefense wrote:
Magna wrote:
georgespelvin wrote: There was some discussion about this a while back. In recent years, no one said they had seen anyone dismissed after the in-person test.
I auditioned in December 2012 and no one was dismissed. I reckon giving everyone a mock game is faster than waiting for someone to grade all the tests.
I thought I heard an anecdote on the old board that they would dismiss some and say "Tell everybody you missed by one question"? And a friend of mine who was on in...2009?...said that not everyone in the room got to play the mock game, and they had told people that the (written) test would be the determinant.

I'm well aware that once you get that far, its being first and foremost a TV show, stage presence, telegenity, looking interesting, and being cooperative are what they want. Clearly there are some horribly nerdy "basement dwellers" who could ace the test (no Schliemann, not talking to you!) but would be a disaster in person. I do tend to believe that the main purpose of the written test is to catch cheaters; if it weren't for that, they would much prefer to just have to worry about one test before the "real" interview about seeing how people look on stage.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Francois40 wrote:I thought I heard an anecdote on the old board that they would dismiss some and say "Tell everybody you missed by one question"? And a friend of mine who was on in...2009?...said that not everyone in the room got to play the mock game, and they had told people that the (written) test would be the determinant.
Pre-online test, yes, that's how it worked. You showed up, they showed you a 50-clue test on a monitor, you wrote your answers down on a sheet of paper, they left to grade it. 15 to 20 minutes later, they came back in, announced the 10 or so who passed (out of the 100+ that showed up) and everyone else hit the road.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

econgator wrote:
Francois40 wrote:I thought I heard an anecdote on the old board that they would dismiss some and say "Tell everybody you missed by one question"? And a friend of mine who was on in...2009?...said that not everyone in the room got to play the mock game, and they had told people that the (written) test would be the determinant.
Pre-online test, yes, that's how it worked. You showed up, they showed you a 50-clue test on a monitor, you wrote your answers down on a sheet of paper, they left to grade it. 15 to 20 minutes later, they came back in, announced the 10 or so who passed (out of the 100+ that showed up) and everyone else hit the road.
Yep, exactly. In 2001 I also seem to recall them saying "We won't tell you your score, pass or fail, but those who failed you can tell your friends you missed it by one. And those of you who passed can say you aced it." Or something like that.
But in my two post-online test auditions nobody was dismissed.