Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6224, 2011-10-13

CONTESTANTS
Liz Good, a freelance editor from Brockton, Massachusetts
Drew Denton, a graduate student of American religious history from Decatur, Georgia
Katie Proctor, a stay-at-home mom from Hendersonville, North Carolina (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Hey, it took us almost a month, but we finally have a woman champion in our new Jeopardy! season, and to become champion, Katie had to defeat a player who had won close to $200,000, so we know she's good. We're about to find out how good Liz and Drew are. Good luck. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And these categories for you. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY NARRATORS (4/5)
IT'S IN YOUR MIND (4/5)
VIDEO GAME HISTORY (5/5)
YOU SEE 'EM AT THE MUSEUM (4/5)
ONE GOOD TURN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DESERVES AN "ITHER" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katie: 20 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Liz: 4 R, 1 W
Drew: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Katie had $3,600, Drew was in the red with -$400, and Liz had nothing in the bank. Katie wagered $2,000.

ONE GOOD TURN $600: Sharp type of turn that sounds like an accessory to keep your toupee from flying off
(Alex: You are starting out like Joon Pahk did--earning money quickly and finding the Daily Doubles.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Katie: $7,400
Liz: $2,000
Drew: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Liz Good from Brockton, Massachusetts, is feeling good. She's a 9-year survivor of stage III breast cancer, and she sings in a barbershop quartet. What kind of quartet? Comedy quartet?

Liz: Uh, yes, we're a comedy group, and I do pretty ridiculous things on the stage.

Alex: And are there a lot of these kinds of groups, or are we--when we talk about barbershop quartets, I know there are organizations and competitions. This--

Liz: There are many barbershop quartets, but not that many who specialize in comedy--

Alex: Okay.

Liz: --especially among the women.

Alex: Oh. So there are four women in this?

Liz: Yes.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: Drew Denton from Decatur, Georgia, graduate student of American religious history. Any time in particular? Any religion in particular?

Drew: Uh, I study Antebellum American religion, primarily Catholicism.

Alex: Ah-ha. Okay. With a view to doing what?

Drew: Uh, to teaching, hopefully, if I can get a job.

Alex: Okay. That's--that's very important in this day and age.

Alex: Katie Proctor's our champion. She doesn't have a job.

Katie: No, sir.

Alex: Oh, yes, she does. She's a stay-at-home mom... who does a lot of baking. Cookies, I understand, are your specialty.

Katie: Yes, uh, this past Thanksgiving, my mother and I baked 108 dozen cookies in 3 days.

Alex: Wait a minute--108 dozen?

Katie: 108 dozen, yes, and that was a small year. The--the biggest--the most my family ever made in one year, was, I think, 196 dozen.

Alex: How big a family do you have? [Laughs] Or is it just that they all eat...

Katie: We--they--they--most of them are given away.

Alex: Oh.

Katie: Uh, teachers and acquaintances and friends and--everyone eats cookies.

Alex: What kind of coo--what kind of cookies we talking about?

Katie: You name it, we make it.

Alex: Peanut butter?

Katie: Oh, yes.

Alex: Okay, good. I'll, uh, look you up later.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY NARRATORS $600: The narrator of David Foster Wallace's "The Pale King" battles boredom at this agency's Regional Examination Center

YOU SEE 'EM AT THE MUSEUM $1000: Titian's "St. Sebastian" & "Danae" are at this St. Petersburg museum known for its arsenal
(Liz: What is the Winter Palace?)
(Alex: Mm... [blows air] No.)
(Liz: What is [*]?)

IT'S IN YOUR MIND $1000: I love Dr. Freud for using this term for strong feelings of attachment by a patient toward an analyst

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Katie: $12,400
Drew: $1,400
Liz: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 2011 TIME 100 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We're dealing with the most influential people in the world, according to Time.)
MOVIES ON THE MAP (5/5)
CAPTAIN COOK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A POPS CONCERT (5/5)
HODGEPODGE (5/5)
HOMONYM FILL-INS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katie: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Liz: 8 R, 0 W
Drew: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Katie had $15,600, Drew had $2,600, and Liz was at $3,000. Drew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

THE 2011 TIME 100 $1200: Her "post is now one of the 50 most frequented web destinations... in Feb. it attracted more than 23 mil. unique visitors"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Katie had $19,600, Drew had $6,400, and Liz was at $4,200. Katie wagered $1,600.

CAPTAIN COOK $800: Young Cook's charts of this river's estuary were vital to the British victory at Quebec in 1759

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CAPTAIN COOK $1600: On Jan. 17, 1773 Cook & crew became the first people to cross this geographic circle

HOMONYM FILL-INS $1200: Some thieves in the night sought the troubadour's ____; they found not a dime, just a 6-stringed ____
(Drew: What is a liar?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Katie: $32,400 (lock game)
Liz: $10,600
Drew: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Katie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $11,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Liz: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Drew: You've no hope of catching up... unless Liz does something stupid. So risk $5,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This performer is the only person to win Oscars for acting & also songwriting

FINAL SCORES
Drew: $5,200 + $1,840 = $7,040 (Who is Streisand?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Liz: $10,600 - $0 = $10,600 (Who is) (2nd place: $2,000)
Katie: $32,400 - $7,600 = $24,800 (Who is Sinatra?) (2-day champion: $51,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Katie: $30,200, 34 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Liz: $10,600, 12 R, 1 W
Drew: $3,800, 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $44,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Katie: 34/60 = .567
Liz: 12/58 = .207
Drew: 10/59 = .169
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
VIDEO GAME HISTORY $400: In 1984 this 76er & Larry Bird went "one-on-one" for the Commodore 64
(Drew: Who is Charles Barkley?)

VIDEO GAME HISTORY $1000: In December 2002 Will Wright moved these virtual people "online"
[Applause for Katie's run of the category]
(Alex: You've spent a lot of time playing video games, haven't you?)
(Katie: Not really.)

LITERARY NARRATORS $200: This Mark Twain character says that "Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it"
(Drew: Who is Tom Sawyer?)

MOVIES ON THE MAP $1200: Steve Buscemi is part of a botched kidnapping; you might say it had a chipper ending
(Drew: What is Raising Arizona?)
(Alex: That chipper in the snow.)

CAPTAIN COOK $2000: In 1770, Cook made the map seen here, using "Ea Hei Nom Auwe" & "Toai Poonamo O" where atlases now use these two names

CORRECT RESPONSES
a hairpin
the IRS
the Hermitage
transference
(Arianna) Huffington
the St. Lawrence
the Antarctic Circle
loot/lute
Barbra Streisand
Dr. J
the Sims
Huck Finn
Fargo
the North and South Islands
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The Oscars
This performer is the only person to win Oscars for acting & also songwriting.
Spoiler
Who is Barbra Streisand? Liz had no guess; Katie said Frank Sinatra. Streisand shared the Best Actress Oscar for 1969's Funny Girl and won Best Original Song Oscar for 1977's "Evergreen" from A Star is Born.
Katie Proctor: $32,400-$7,600=$24,800...now a 2-day champion with $51,201
Liz Good: $10,600-$0=$10,600
Drew Denton: $5,200+$1,840=$7,040
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

so much for the giant-killer curse. what a shellacking! rock on, katie!!
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Prince and prints are not homonyms.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Without Joon to play against, Katie owns the two rounds, although Liz was trying to make a comeback in DJ! for a bit, but Katie stopped her in the last category. Drew got the first DJ! DD, but Katie got the first round DD and the second DJ! DD. Going into FJ! the scores are Katie $32400 Drew $5200 Liz $10600

Category the Oscars: This performer is the only person to win awards for acting and also songwriting.
Spoiler
WHo is Barbra Streisand? Drew got it right and wagered $1840 for $7040. Liz didn't have a response and wagered $0 to guarantee second place, Katie says Frank Sinatra and wagers $7600 for $24800 and $51201 for two days. Two more wins with scores like that and she makes the TofC, or three more wins with any amount.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Frank Hardy wrote:Prince and prints are not homonyms.
Hairy and Harry are not homonyms, and one time on Password Plus in 1981 or 1982, they bought out a blackboard and had Tom Kennedy(who hosted the show upon the illness and later death of Allen Ludden) explaining the difference in vowel sounds between the two words.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow, Katie did steamroll the competition today. Great job! Now you can afford to rent a car and go to Disneyland with the hubby! ;)

I didn't do too well today, but got lucky on a wild guess on FJ.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Did anyone else hear Alex say "Bad guess" to Katie for her FJ answer of Frank SInatra? That seemed entirely unnecessary. I thought maybe I had misheard and he actually said "Not a bad guess", because that's exactly what I was thinking, but upon further review it seems quite clear that he just said "bad guess". Sinatra did win an acting Oscar, for 1953's From Here to Eternity, but never received any nominations for songwriting, as it appears that he didn't do much (if any) of his own songwriting, as far as I can tell. I guess Alex was mainly just saying that she guessed incorrectly, but "Bad guess" just seems completely uncalled for.

I was able to come up with Streisand eventually, after stumbling for about 20 seconds. The best previous answer I could think of was Cher, as I knew she won Best Actress for 1987's Moonstruck, and I figured she had performed on Oscar-nominated songs, but I had no idea if she was ever involved in writing one. It turns out I was correct, as 1989's "After All" from Chances Are was nominated, but didn't win, and she didn't write it anyway.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Now that I've seen it, I can say congratulations, Katie! Not too shabby for a second win. Looking forward to more Katie tomorrow!

I landed on Kristofferson briefly, didn't like it, looked at the clue again and realized it specifically avoided mention of sex, and went straight to Streisand.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else hear Alex say "Bad guess" to Katie for her FJ answer of Frank SInatra? That seemed entirely unnecessary. I thought maybe I had misheard and he actually said "Not a bad guess", because that's exactly what I was thinking, but upon further review it seems quite clear that he just said "bad guess". Sinatra did win an acting Oscar, for 1953's From Here to Eternity, but never received any nominations for songwriting, as it appears that he didn't do much (if any) of his own songwriting, as far as I can tell. I guess Alex was mainly just saying that she guessed incorrectly, but "Bad guess" just seems completely uncalled for.

I was able to come up with Streisand eventually, after stumbling for about 20 seconds. The best previous answer I could think of was Cher, as I knew she won Best Actress for 1987's Moonstruck, and I figured she had performed on Oscar-nominated songs, but I had no idea if she was ever involved in writing one. It turns out I was correct, as 1989's "After All" from Chances Are was nominated, but didn't win, and she didn't write it anyway.
I WAG'd Kris Kristofferson. And as a person to whom Alex said (as I've mentioned here before) "Ellen, what were you thinking?" I can readily believe that he said "Bad guess" to Kate.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:I landed on Kristofferson briefly, didn't like it, looked at the clue again and realized it specifically avoided mention of sex, and went straight to Streisand.
I had the same thought process. Actually, i couldn't come up with Kristofferson's name, then saw the answer was gender free and went with Babs. Cher never came to mind.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm glad I only had to name Streisand and not the movies/songs. Funny Girl would have been no problem. The coin would have had to landed on tails for me to get the song or the movie it came from.

Katie and Joon: The two of you were topic A at work today as Survivor and baseball took a backseat to, "What happened to Joon?" I had to explain to three different co-workers how your game showed how many factors go into each result.

Tonight is easy to summarize. Katie owned the buzzer and had the best across the board knowledge. Liz seemed to have pockets of strength in some categories greater than the average player, but over 60 clues I'm not sure she would find enough to maintain board dominance. Katie demonstrated impressive range and depth and did exactly what should happen. If she was good enough to outduel Joon then the next night should be easier. It was. Way to go.

Alex was out of line with his comment to Katie. He may have been thinking "Incorrect guess", but "Bad guess" was not cool.

My FJ streak is at 9, but the writers can go ahead and get the dreaded Word/Phrase Origin type clue out of the way tomorrow. I know it's due.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:I landed on Kristofferson briefly, didn't like it, looked at the clue again and realized it specifically avoided mention of sex, and went straight to Streisand.
I had the same thought process. Actually, i couldn't come up with Kristofferson's name, then saw the answer was gender free and went with Babs. Cher never came to mind.
It's actually not that bad of a guess,either, since Streisand won her Best Song Oscar for A Star is Born, which co-starred Kristofferson. Right movie, wrong actor.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

I said Chaplin for final. He won an Oscar for original score and an honorary Oscar for acting (among other things). Judges?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Wimple wrote:I said Chaplin for final. He won an Oscar for original score and an honorary Oscar for acting (among other things). Judges?
Nope. By "songwriting," they were specifically referring to Best Song.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
Same for me except switch Babs' and Cher's names. :(
Tell that to the Animaniacs (and comedy)

Judges (yeah, I've been going here a lot, eh? Oh, well, it's one way to learn things): "Thither" for "hither"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:
Wimple wrote:I said Chaplin for final. He won an Oscar for original score and an honorary Oscar for acting (among other things). Judges?
Nope. By "songwriting," they were specifically referring to Best Song.
Plus, I don't think you "win" honorary Oscars.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Judges (yeah, I've been going here a lot, eh? Oh, well, it's one way to learn things): "Thither" for "hither"?
Nope. The clue said "to the place where I am," i.e. "to here." Thither means "to there."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Depends on the regional accent, maybe? They sound the same to me. I have a standard California newscaster accent. (Not that I live in California or work as a newscaster, you understand.)

The one that threw me was "lute" and "loot". To me those are noticeably different. American dictionaries seem to disagree with me there, but the OED is on my side.