Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, October 13, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else hear Alex say "Bad guess" to Katie for her FJ answer of Frank SInatra? That seemed entirely unnecessary. I thought maybe I had misheard and he actually said "Not a bad guess", because that's exactly what I was thinking, but upon further review it seems quite clear that he just said "bad guess".
I also thought "not a bad guess" when I saw her response. And I thought that's what I heard Alex say as well. Are you sure he doesn't run "notabad" together fairly quickly? I've deleted the show already or I'd offer my own assessment.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

It was "bad guess," which I objected to (internally), but eh, what can you do. I made up for it in the chat at the end by reminding him of the time he came on stage with no pants on.

Thanks, everyone! This game was a lot of fun, although I had blanked most of it. As for the video game category, I've actually never played any of those games. I'm pretty sure I picked up Azeroth=World of Warcraft from watching the college tournament.

Liz and Drew were both great, too. I actually rode back to the hotel with Liz at the end of the day, and congratulated her on the "Pops Concert" category. I completely missed that they were going for father/son pairs until the very last clue -- I was working with the assumption that it was the usual definition of a pops concert.

As for FJ, I got stuck on "singers with Oscars" and couldn't get past Sinatra, even though I know he wasn't really a songwriter. But I didn't have anything better. In hindsight, I wish I'd bet bigger on the Cook DD and smaller on FJ, but que sera sera.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

when your biggest regret amounts to "i wish my wire-to-wire demolition job had resulted a slightly higher payday", you're doing just fine. :) and i thought you made the right wager on cook—once you found it (thereby keeping it away from liz), you just had to not lose a ton of money and you were uncatchable. you didn't need to keep piling on.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SkoolRN wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else hear Alex say "Bad guess" to Katie for her FJ answer of Frank SInatra? That seemed entirely unnecessary. I thought maybe I had misheard and he actually said "Not a bad guess", because that's exactly what I was thinking, but upon further review it seems quite clear that he just said "bad guess". Sinatra did win an acting Oscar, for 1953's From Here to Eternity, but never received any nominations for songwriting, as it appears that he didn't do much (if any) of his own songwriting, as far as I can tell. I guess Alex was mainly just saying that she guessed incorrectly, but "Bad guess" just seems completely uncalled for.

I was able to come up with Streisand eventually, after stumbling for about 20 seconds. The best previous answer I could think of was Cher, as I knew she won Best Actress for 1987's Moonstruck, and I figured she had performed on Oscar-nominated songs, but I had no idea if she was ever involved in writing one. It turns out I was correct, as 1989's "After All" from Chances Are was nominated, but didn't win, and she didn't write it anyway.
I WAG'd Kris Kristofferson. And as a person to whom Alex said (as I've mentioned here before) "Ellen, what were you thinking?" I can readily believe that he said "Bad guess" to Kate.
Streisand's parade totally passed me by. For some reason I had (of all people) Charlie Chaplin stuck in my head and couldn't let it go, thinking of "Smile" from Modern Times. (Yes, he wrote songs too.)

Upon further research, I wasn't far off -- he won an Oscar for Best Music for Limelight, but not for Best Song.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My first thought was Jeff Bridges, due to Crazy Heart (which, also won best song!, it's just Bridges didn't write it).
Fortunately I noticed the genderless aspect of the clue as well and decided to go for the obvious female answer.
opusthepenguin wrote: The one that threw me was "lute" and "loot". To me those are noticeably different. American dictionaries seem to disagree with me there, but the OED is on my side.
That one caused no end of groaning back in my EverQuest days. One of the classes in the game was a bard. Their 'weapons' were, literally, a variety of instruments (drums, horns, singing...) and the best stringed instrument that existed before I quit was...a lute that dropped as loot.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

My bad guess on FJ was Jamie Foxx. (Streisand is not at all known as a songwriter)

Katie is making a late run for the upcoming TOC.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I'm glad I was not the only one to think of Jeff Bridges (I ultimately went with him). I have to admit I briefly considered Gwyneth Paltrow! :o
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

Congratulations, Katie! As the others have said, that was quite a clinic you put on last night. FWIW, I made the same "bad guess" you did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I suppose any guess that is wrong is a bad one.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

My bad guess was Bing Crosby.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My FJ guess? David Bowie.

For me, loot/lute was an instaget.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Sinatra isn't as bad as my guess, Clint Eastwood, who writes much of the music for his movies, but he's never won a best acting Oscar.

And prince and prints, hairy and Harry, and merry, marry, Mary sound the same to me (well, not all of them, you know what I mean).
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Vanya wrote: merry, marry, Mary sound the same to me.
I've had more than one person try to explain how these sound different and I still don't get it. (shrugs)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

billiej wrote:
Vanya wrote: merry, marry, Mary sound the same to me.
I've had more than one person try to explain how these sound different and I still don't get it. (shrugs)
Yes, I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm just the opposite: I don't see how they can sound the same. I pronounce each one quite distinctively from the others.