J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by ACW »

jeff6286 wrote:
ACW wrote:Am I the only one who has Jeopardy! on ABC?

Also, why aren't they doing three straight weeks (this week 80s, next 90s, then 2000s)?
I did a little spreadsheet project a couple years ago to see how many markets aired J! on each network's affiliates. Some have probably changed since then, but it is actually very balanced between ABC, CBS, and NBC in number of markets. There are roughly 210 stations airing Jeopardy! in the US, and each of the big three networks has between 60 and 70 of those, with just a handful on FOX and a couple independent stations or MyNetwork affiliates. ABC seems to have a great many of the larger markets, as detailed above by rmfromfla and georgespelvin, so the number of viewers with J! available on an ABC station may be nearly 50%, with CBS and NBC both in the 25% range.
Fascinating that. Another question: do the same affiliates that air J! also air Wheel for that area? For DC it's ABC Wheel at 7 J! at 7:30.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
ACW wrote:Am I the only one who has Jeopardy! on ABC?

Also, why aren't they doing three straight weeks (this week 80s, next 90s, then 2000s)?
I did a little spreadsheet project a couple years ago to see how many markets aired J! on each network's affiliates. Some have probably changed since then, but it is actually very balanced between ABC, CBS, and NBC in number of markets. There are roughly 210 stations airing Jeopardy! in the US, and each of the big three networks has between 60 and 70 of those, with just a handful on FOX and a couple independent stations or MyNetwork affiliates. ABC seems to have a great many of the larger markets, as detailed above by rmfromfla and georgespelvin, so the number of viewers with J! available on an ABC station may be nearly 50%, with CBS and NBC both in the 25% range.
Fascinating that. Another question: do the same affiliates that air J! also air Wheel for that area? For DC it's ABC Wheel at 7 J! at 7:30.
I have no data on this, but all evidence I've seen says that the vast majority of markets do get J! and Wheel on the same station. There are probably a few exceptions, but I don't know of any specifically. Since both shows come from the same production company and syndicator, it may be that they are sold as a package deal, though I have no idea if this is actually done in the television business.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In Birmingham, Jeopardy airs at 3:30 (with a rerun at 3:00) on the CBS station and Wheel airs at 6:30 on the ABC station.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Orlando area (WFTV - ABC) J! at 7 and Wheel at 7:30.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Panama City, FL: WJHG (NBC) (J! since season 3) -- 4:30 PM Wheel -- 6:30 PM
Dothan, AL: WRGX (NBC) (since 6/1/2013) -- 4:30 PM (keeping regular time slot when WJHG was dropped from Dothan cable systems)
WTVY (CBS; also operates WRGX) -- Wheel at 6:30 PM Until last summer, Dothan did not have a station that carried J! since the ABC affiliate, WDHN, carried Season 1 from January to September 1985.

Tallahassee, FL: (on some local cable systems in NW FL) -- WCTV (CBS) carries Wheel at 7PM (ET) & J! at 7:30 (At one stretch in spring 1989, J! was dropped due to the "maverick" general manager, who also did things like ignoring political debates in favor of the two game shows; he got his pink slip during the summer & J! returned to WCTV in time for the start of season 6.) :o
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

In Memphis, Jeopardy airs at 3:30 on WREG CBS 3 and Wheel airs at 6:30 on WMC NBC 5. Jeopardy was on WMC many years ago but moved to WREG in early 1996. It was originally on at 4:00 on that station but moved to 3:30 at the start of Season 19 in September 2002 in favor of a 4 PM newscast. WREG never showed weekend repeats until September 2012 and they show them early Saturday morning at 3:37 AM.

As for Wheel, Thursday's show will air at the regular time and Friday's will air early Saturday at 4:00 AM.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Indiana, PA here.

Local WATM-23(Johnstown,Altoona, State College ABC): J! 7:00 and Wheel 7:30
Local WPXI-11(Pittsburgh NBC): J! 7:00 and Wheel 7:30
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

New York, New York, WABC-7

Jeopardy! is on at 7PM, Wheel at 7:30PM. Ah, my childhood.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Searched 'Jeopardy' on my local listings and it only gives listings for the 4th and 5th this week. May just have to email them. We'll see...

jeff6286 wrote:
stephanie wrote:Angry because Jeopardy won't be on Thursday and Friday because of the Olympics preview and the opening ceremony. :( I didn't even realize it until now. Here's hoping my two favorites from those days win so I can see them play later on in the tournament.
You should check the website of your local station, and try to find a program guide. They may be airing Jeopardy on a different channel, if they have a local sister station, or airing it at a different time than normal, such as 2 AM. You could also try emailing the local station before Thursday, because they may be airing it at a different time and not have it listed in their program guide.
Not Jeopardy! material :(
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Austin Powers wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Watching the interviews has been interesting. Reminds me how, "back in the day," how button downed the show was... and maybe how "bookish" the show was... and how the show wasn't afraid to have someone REALLY GOOD on and just do his or her thing. Lots of white guys in ties wearing thick glasses. I wonder if the "sky's the limit" rule led to the show changing its approach. Stylistically, the show feels very different these days.
Perhaps a difference in what the CCs want? Susanne Thurber and Grant Loud may have had different ideas than Maggie & Co. do now?

It was fun to watch all the videos. Some not only have great game skills, but camera skills as well. Others are better suited to play the 61 clues and have a short chat with Alex only.
I think the current show thinks it can be as lively as Wheel of Fortune when it can't. It's not in its genes. Wheel is a much more enjoyable show in terms of players having personalities and having fun. I enjoy Jeopardy for very different reasons, and it's frustrating to see games where 44 questions are answered right, which is par for the course lately.
Should I be insulted? I think we have personalities. Some of us are downright bubbly.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

ahirbhairav wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Watching the interviews has been interesting. Reminds me how, "back in the day," how button downed the show was... and maybe how "bookish" the show was... and how the show wasn't afraid to have someone REALLY GOOD on and just do his or her thing. Lots of white guys in ties wearing thick glasses. I wonder if the "sky's the limit" rule led to the show changing its approach. Stylistically, the show feels very different these days.
Perhaps a difference in what the CCs want? Susanne Thurber and Grant Loud may have had different ideas than Maggie & Co. do now?

It was fun to watch all the videos. Some not only have great game skills, but camera skills as well. Others are better suited to play the 61 clues and have a short chat with Alex only.
Tom Nosek comes to mind as one of the people who is good for playing, but not camera...but Jerome Vered and Richard Cordray are among the more suited for the camera skills. I mean, Richard Cordray has to face camera and press pretty much all the time, right?
Thx.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
StevenH wrote:I wouldn't think that the online test would make a huge difference in the types of people who audition, since they still have to pass it.

When I auditioned for the college tournament in the Summer of 2005, there was no online test. I am thinking that that was the last college tournament audition that didn't have one, but I could be wrong. And it's funny: when I was at that audition, I got a vibe from a lot of the people who were auditioning that they weren't really into the whole trivia/quizzing thing as much as they just wanted to be on television. I was really surprised by this. I was one of 9, out of 63 in my group who passed the test, so that would make sense. Also, Cheryl from the clue crew was at that audition, and someone asked her which contestant was her favorite that she had met. Her response? Jerome Vered.
...So you're saying you were surprised that they wanted to be on tv? Okay... I don't see what the Jerome anecdote shows except that he's extremely nice and charming in person.
And that Cheryl has exquisite taste! That's a nice story. Never heard it before.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

It's not always about you, Jerome.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Yes it is, Hans.

This isn't a secret. If it is, I'll take it up w the PTB...

Unlike the UToC, players get only the guarantee for the whole tourney, not keeping any monies won along the way.

Those eliminated in the first appearance get $5000. Winners get nothing but the chance to go on.
Those eliminated in quarter finals get $10 000. (Incl alternate I believe).
Those 6 eliminated in semi round get $25 000
3rd place $50 000
2nd place $100 000
Winner.... One million dollars, American.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

JyV92 wrote:Yes it is, Hans.

This isn't a secret. If it is, I'll take it up w the PTB...

Unlike the UToC, players get only the guarantee for the whole tourney, not keeping any monies won along the way.

Those eliminated in the first appearance get $5000. Winners get nothing but the chance to go on.
Those eliminated in quarter finals get $10 000. (Incl alternate I believe).
Those 6 eliminated in semi round get $25 000
3rd place $50 000
2nd place $100 000
Winner.... One million dollars, American.
The winning amount seems great. But the other amounts seem to be a bit on the chintzy side. A 10:1 ratio of winning to 2nd place seems too extreme to me.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

slam wrote:The winning amount seems great. But the other amounts seem to be a bit on the chintzy side. A 10:1 ratio of winning to 2nd place seems too extreme to me.
That's how I feel about it, too. A million dollar top prize is great, but why not a bit of a boost for every round? The rest of the payouts are the same as a regular TOC. (#1stworldJeopardychampionproblems)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

wallzy41 wrote:Indiana, PA here.

Local WATM-23(Johnstown,Altoona, State College ABC): J! 7:00 and Wheel 7:30
Local WPXI-11(Pittsburgh NBC): J! 7:00 and Wheel 7:30

Jimmy Stewart Airport!

I'm on the Chaleston, SC feed and I get J! @ 7:30pm on NBC. I guess I'll be missing it for the next few weeks due to Olympics coverage.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Dr. J wrote:
slam wrote:The winning amount seems great. But the other amounts seem to be a bit on the chintzy side. A 10:1 ratio of winning to 2nd place seems too extreme to me.
That's how I feel about it, too. A million dollar top prize is great, but why not a bit of a boost for every round? The rest of the payouts are the same as a regular TOC. (#1stworldJeopardychampionproblems)
Perhaps Arthur has been giving out too many ties in his future games and they can't afford it. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Dr. J wrote:
Hey, at least you were invited back! I only got to play nine games of Jeopardy! and my winnings barely made it into six figures! (#2ndworldJeopardychampionproblems)

Rex
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
Hey, at least you were invited back! I only got to play nine games of Jeopardy! and my winnings barely made it into six figures! (#2ndworldJeopardychampionproblems)

Rex
Remember what happened to the woman having a panic attack in the movie from which you draw your screen name? I'm going to arrange similar treatment for you.