Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Re: Monday, February 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leah »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The big question is how do you pronounce Quincy? Is it Quin-see or Quin-zee? I believe people in Mass. use the later pronunciation for the President and the city.
I'm not a native, but I've only heard the city with "zee", whereas the president's name I've mostly heard with "see". Not that he comes up in conversation very often.

I use "see" for his name-- distinguishing it from pronunciation of the city (and the disease).
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

pdano wrote:
Robert K S wrote:I was nowhere near getting this Final. For those of you that got it, can you explain the path that led there?
I don't have much more of an answer than "I read David McCullough's John Adams biography and it talks about his son."
The McCullough book initially led me to JQA, who was already top of mind after a re-reading of Prisoner of Trebekistan over the weekend.

My goal while watching this tourney is to grab at least two pieces of Lach Trash, plus the FJ, each night. Thank you, Jerome Kern and Avenue Q.

Happy that Chuck advanced, but as a soon-to-be-retired copy editor, sorry to see India go.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Wow - what a great game to watch! I had watched all three of these contestants on crackle beforehand, so it was fun to see how the players had changed since their initial appearances!

Some incredible gets by the players: casus belli, Sharm el-Sheikh, Esther (given Vashti & Ahasuerus). I negged on Chuck's DD with "Exodus", thinking the "great wind" was parting the Red Sea, but in hindsight I don't think there were any tempests involved in that.

Although I knew that there was a Jeopardy! bit in "Groundhog Day", I guess I never looked into the specifics of what game it was, who the contestants were, etc., so I was surprised/delighted by Jim's interview! Now that I know who he is, I'll look for him the next time I watch the movie (missed it this year).

FJ! was an instaget* -- so much so that I nearly got it wrong! I started writing Louisa Catherine Adams before AT even finished reading the clue. Luckily, I had it down so quickly that I still had time to go back and reread the clue carefully enough to realize that they didn't want "the only foreign-born First Lady"; they wanted "this man", her better known husband. (I think subconsciously I may have been assuming that they would ask for the more difficult of the two given that it's a champion-level tournament.) (At home, I just scribbled JQA, but I wonder if they would have taken that in the studio?)

* It's funny sometimes how you know what you know. I have the McCullough biography as a book-on-CD in my car. It has been in my car for, oh, the last 6 or 7 years at least. Every time I have a road trip on the horizon, I think to myself "I should really swing by the library and pick up something to listen to on the drive". But what with packing, watching Jeopardy!, etc. it nearly always slips my mind until I'm actually on the road (DOH!), at which point my listening options are limited to random radio stations or the Adams biography. So, yeah, I've listened to it way too many times :lol: .

But I really do need to put something else in my car. In fact, I think I'll get up and do it right now. Just as soon as I'm done watching Jeopardy! ;)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote:Neither Chuck nor India disappointed, though Chuck's FJ wager did leave me wondering what he was thinking.
Same thing I believe anyone else thinks: "I'm in second. Better bet it all."
davey

Post by davey »

Leah wrote:
Robert K S wrote:I was nowhere near getting this Final. For those of you that got it, can you explain the path that led there?
Young JQ Adams was the travelling companion of his father through much of the Revolutionary period, spoke many languages, and had a wide knowledge of European politics. He spent much of his youth abroad. He was ambassador to Russia, I think, at the age my kids were horsing around in high school. It made sense that someone in that situation could marry a non-American. I didn't know specifically whom he had married, but I hadn't had the need to study first ladies, of course.
I wasn't sure of any of that, but it made sense, as I said earlier, that his father would have gotten him involved in diplomacy. And it had to be someone 19th C. since I know enough about 20th C. First Ladies to discount them.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Valley girl speak I would have called surfer dude speak. I guess they overlap.

For FJ first put John Adams, the added a Q (I hope Q. would be enough).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Vanya wrote:(I hope Q. would be enough).
It was for Chuck.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Here ya go:

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Thanks for posting that alietr. It appears that Leslie Frates from today's (Tuesday's) game was also on that clip.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jkbrat wrote:
Some incredible gets by the players: casus belli, Sharm el-Sheikh, Esther (given Vashti & Ahasuerus). I negged on Chuck's DD with "Exodus", thinking the "great wind" was parting the Red Sea, but in hindsight I don't think there were any tempests involved in that.
Although you may consider "Esther" a great get for these players, for anyone Jewish, it was practically Pavlovian. The main feature of the holiday of Purim is the reading of the Megillah which is just the Book of Esther. So, if you were to ask any 5-year old Jewish child with even the slightest religious upbringing which book of the Bible "Vashti" or "Ahasuerus" were in, you would get a correct answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

slam wrote:
jkbrat wrote:
Although you may consider "Esther" a great get for these players, for anyone Jewish, it was practically Pavlovian. The main feature of the holiday of Purim is the reading of the Megillah which is just the Book of Esther. So, if you were to ask any 5-year old Jewish child with even the slightest religious upbringing which book of the Bible "Vashti" or "Ahasuerus" were in, you would get a correct answer.
Must be why I didn't get Esther then — I'm not Jewish. :lol:
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

And Dunkin Donuts, too!

Post by Rex Kramer »

Leah wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:The big question is how do you pronounce Quincy? Is it Quin-see or Quin-zee? I believe people in Mass. use the later pronunciation for the President and the city.
I'm not a native, but I've only heard the city with "zee", whereas the president's name I've mostly heard with "see". Not that he comes up in conversation very often.

I use "see" for his name-- distinguishing it from pronunciation of the city (and the disease).
I am, in fact, a native, born in Quincy, and Leah has it right.

Rex
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jeff6286 wrote:Presidents & First Ladies
The only foreign-born first lady was the wife of this man who served in the diplomatic corps from age 14.

Spoiler
Who is John Quincy Adams? India said Madison.

India Cooper: $18,500-$16,500=$2,000
Chuck Forrest: $16,700+$16,700=$33,400...advances to...something
Jim Scott: $3,200+$3,000=$6,200
Has there been a clear indication of the structure of this tournament? I haven't seen anything but, then again, I haven't been paying as much attention to such things as I used to. The "advances to...something" suggests that it hasn't been made clear.

Anywhere, here's my best guess based on the available info now that we've seen one show. Chuck was identified as a Quarterfinalist at the end of the game and Alex made no mention of any chances for the other contestants. So, I'm guessing that the winner of each of the 15 games will be thrown into the normal 2-week, 15-person tournament structure we've been sing all these years. On Jeopardy.com, there is a 2-week period reserved for the Finals which supports my hypothesis. Anybody have a better idea?
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

slam wrote: Although you may consider "Esther" a great get for these players, for anyone Jewish, it was practically Pavlovian. The main feature of the holiday of Purim is the reading of the Megillah which is just the Book of Esther. So, if you were to ask any 5-year old Jewish child with even the slightest religious upbringing which book of the Bible "Vashti" or "Ahasuerus" were in, you would get a correct answer.
Should be Pavlovian for anyone who is serious about getting on Jeopardy. Even if you're not into dramatic history, after watching enough Jeopardy, "Norwegian playwright" should lead to Ibsen. The same way that I don't know much about the Bible, but "Books of the Bible" has come up often enough that "Nineveh" leads to Jonah, "Crossing the Jordan" leads to Joshua, and "Purim" leads to Esther.

You're expected to have at least a superficial knowledge of everything, including the Bible, and especially things which come up time and time again. Case in point,

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=328
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

slam wrote:
The only foreign-born first lady was the wife of this man who served in the diplomatic corps from age 14.

Spoiler

Has there been a clear indication of the structure of this tournament? I haven't seen anything but, then again, I haven't been paying as much attention to such things as I used to. The "advances to...something" suggests that it hasn't been made clear.

Anywhere, here's my best guess based on the available info now that we've seen one show. Chuck was identified as a Quarterfinalist at the end of the game and Alex made no mention of any chances for the other contestants. So, I'm guessing that the winner of each of the 15 games will be thrown into the normal 2-week, 15-person tournament structure we've been sing all these years. On Jeopardy.com, there is a 2-week period reserved for the Finals which supports my hypothesis. Anybody have a better idea?
That's exactly correct. Non-winners this week get $5k apiece, then ascending dollar amounts from there.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

hanzz wrote:
slam wrote:

Spoiler

That's exactly correct. Non-winners this week get $5k apiece, then ascending dollar amounts from there.
I just found a reliable source (Mr. Vered, himself) making that clear.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

slam wrote:Has there been a clear indication of the structure of this tournament? I haven't seen anything but, then again, I haven't been paying as much attention to such things as I used to. The "advances to...something" suggests that it hasn't been made clear.

The whole structure -- with brackets for March Madness (tm)-type betting -- is spelled out here:
http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... t/#bracket
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

evanakm wrote:
slam wrote: Although you may consider "Esther" a great get for these players, for anyone Jewish, it was practically Pavlovian. The main feature of the holiday of Purim is the reading of the Megillah which is just the Book of Esther. So, if you were to ask any 5-year old Jewish child with even the slightest religious upbringing which book of the Bible "Vashti" or "Ahasuerus" were in, you would get a correct answer.
Should be Pavlovian for anyone who is serious about getting on Jeopardy. Even if you're not into dramatic history, after watching enough Jeopardy, "Norwegian playwright" should lead to Ibsen. The same way that I don't know much about the Bible, but "Books of the Bible" has come up often enough that "Nineveh" leads to Jonah, "Crossing the Jordan" leads to Joshua, and "Purim" leads to Esther.

You're expected to have at least a superficial knowledge of everything, including the Bible, and especially things which come up time and time again. Case in point,

I agree that it's very reasonable to expect that Purim >> Book of Esther. But Purim wasn't mentioned in the clue, just "Vashti" and "Ahasuerus". For my typical 5-year Jewish child, those are also Pavlovian for the Book of Esther, for gentiles out there, maybe not so much but it's certainly gettable by a non-Jew as we saw (in a world where Drake is Jewish, I suppose India could be also, but I'm assuming not).
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Dr. J wrote:
slam wrote:Has there been a clear indication of the structure of this tournament? I haven't seen anything but, then again, I haven't been paying as much attention to such things as I used to. The "advances to...something" suggests that it hasn't been made clear.

The whole structure -- with brackets for March Madness (tm)-type betting -- is spelled out here:
http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... t/#bracket
I suspect that each of the five quarterfinal games will include one winner from each decade group, thereby creating a true "battle of the decades".
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

slam wrote:
evanakm wrote:

I agree that it's very reasonable to expect that Purim >> Book of Esther. But Purim wasn't mentioned in the clue, just "Vashti" and "Ahasuerus". For my typical 5-year Jewish child, those are also Pavlovian for the Book of Esther, for gentiles out there, maybe not so much but it's certainly gettable by a non-Jew as we saw (in a world where Drake is Jewish, I suppose India could be also, but I'm assuming not).
Ok, I am usually shocked or at least surprised by TPH's lack of bible knowledge given his exposure to church, but this time not so much.
As a Christian kid with a lot of religious education, including quite a bit of Old Testament, I knew nothing of Esther besides being a book of the bible. Ruth and Naomi we learned about but maybe Esther is a little too gruesome? I learned the story of Purim much later (mid-20s maybe?), possibly from fiction. Since then I've run across it quite a lot but did not get the clue in this game. I'll always get Purim->Esther and usually Esther->Purim, but I only dimly recognized Ahasuerus, and would've placed Vashti in the Hindu pantheon. I think I'll remember them both now, as I don't want to bested by 5-year olds in any category that does not include Goodnight Moon. :D