FJs for the 10/10/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/10/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:54 pm

He was executed in 1780 & buried in Tappan, New York; his remains were moved to Westminster Abbey in 1821
30%
" 'How are you getting on?' said" this animal character, "as soon as there was mouth enough for it to speak with"
82%
The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, home to the largest permanent collection of her works, is in this state capital
85%
This performer is the only person to win Oscars for acting & also songwriting
45%
This nation lost its direct access to the Pacific around 1880 but retains a navy that now patrols its rivers & a large lake
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
THE PATRIOT LEAGUE $1600: Joshua Chamberlain held Little Round Top during this Civil War battle
61%
WORLD OF WORDS $800: The 1980s program of reforms in the USSR included this, Russian for "restructuring"
74%
MOVIES ON THE MAP $800: Robert Altman's 1975 movie about the music business
61%

Total votes: 88

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/10/11 week

Post by BoK »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :(
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:( :D :D :D :(

Another 60% week, after getting stuck in the Andre/Arnold trap.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have some odd holes in my knowledge. John Andre was a near-instaget for me, and yet I was nowhere near Alice in Wonderland on Tuesday. And I went with Nicaragua on Friday.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote:I have some odd holes in my knowledge. John Andre was a near-instaget for me, and yet I was nowhere near Alice in Wonderland on Tuesday. And I went with Nicaragua on Friday.
I doubt that the Cheshire Cat was a hole in your knowledge. It was more likely a case of not putting 2 and 2 together or just going off on the wrong mental tangent.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
earendel

Post by earendel »

:o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

I was "betrayed" by Benedict Arnold. I've heard of Major Andre but his name didn't occur to me.

Oscar categories are among my weakest and I didn't come anywhere close on this one.

I was torn between Nicaragua and Bolivia (being familiar with the ABC war) and my mental coin flip came up right.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

earendel wrote:I was torn between Nicaragua and Bolivia (being familiar with the ABC war)
The what war? (My Google-Fu is failing me on this one)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:( :) :) :( :)
:) :( :)

Went with Bing Crosby for Thursday, thinking that the Cher/Babs Oscar FJ was too recent and they must be going for someone else. Oops. But I'm proud that I actually knew of the war in question for Friday.

Hi everyone!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
earendel wrote:I was torn between Nicaragua and Bolivia (being familiar with the ABC war)
Same. Best I could think was "Argentina Bolivia Chile" but those three never got in a fight together that I could see...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

goforthetie wrote:Hi everyone!
Hooray, you found us! :D *waves hello*
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :evil:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ouch!
Le Flaneur
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Are we going to have a poll for the toughest FJ of the last third of the season, or is that out because of incomplete data and innaccurate polling (due to formats on here and the BAM Bored)?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Bamaman wrote:Are we going to have a poll for the toughest FJ of the last third of the season, or is that out because of incomplete data and innaccurate polling (due to formats on here and the BAM Bored)?
http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... 1966#p1966
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :o
:D :D :D

Bolivia? Really?

I'm surprised so many got Streisand but failed to get Major Andre. Since when did popular culture become so "popular" on this board?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm surprised so many got Streisand but failed to get Major Andre. Since when did popular culture become so "popular" on this board?
When TRD failed to find us?
Volante

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: I'm surprised so many got Streisand but failed to get Major Andre. Since when did popular culture become so "popular" on this board?
I'm quite certain this is the first time I was ever familiarized in any detail with Andre.

On the other hand, I've been familiar with the existence of Babs since my early double digit years. (She was referenced often in Spielberg produced WB aired cartoons, especially Freakazoid!..."People...people who fly airplanes...") Also, ever hear of the Streisand Effect? :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote:
I wasn't able to find this war called ABC (I assume you meant Argentina, Bolivia and Chile). I believe the war referred to in the clue is the "War of the Pacific" between Bolivia, Chile and Peru. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Pacific

Oddly, given the wording of the question that Bolivia "retains a Navy" despite losing its coastline, Wikipedia explicitly states (and backs up with a reference http://books.google.com/books?id=flgSAAAAYAAJ&hl=en ) that Bolivia had no navy prior to the war.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Volante wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote: I'm surprised so many got Streisand but failed to get Major Andre. Since when did popular culture become so "popular" on this board?
I'm quite certain this is the first time I was ever familiarized in any detail with Andre.

On the other hand, I've been familiar with the existence of Babs since my early double digit years. (She was referenced often in Spielberg produced WB aired cartoons, especially Freakazoid!..."People...people who fly airplanes...") Also, ever hear of the Streisand Effect? :D
But how many people know Streisand as a songwriter? She herself admits to writing maybe ten songs in a career that spans five decades.
Volante

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Volante wrote:

But how many people know Streisand as a songwriter? She herself admits to writing maybe ten songs in a career that spans five decades.
Good case, apparently, of not knowing too much on a subject. It just made more sense to me to search for a singer who's won an Oscar than an actor who's had success in the music industry.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Andre was either you know it or you don't. I only knew him from a Brady Bunch episode. Streisand is somebody everyone has heard of. She was a guess for me that got lucky. I imagine there would be a small pool of people that would be reasonable guesses, so that would be why the get rate for her is high, even if most people were unaware of this fact about her.