J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Anachronism »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:31 pm Ack. So much disdain for Jeopardy! Second Chance. I thought last year's SCC was good tv and the ratings were pretty good, too.

Just saw that WOF is bringing people back for another spin of the wheel. Everyone is doing it!
OK. Great for you. Admittedly, I'm considering ending my own quest, didn't even take the test again this year, but don't you think there's value to as many people as possible having that experience? Isn't that what makes Jeopardy different (and WoF, if you're more the bouncy type)?

If you can no longer see yourself on these shows, you can no longer identify with the contestants, except on a more superficial level like representation or identity.
Last edited by Anachronism on Fri May 19, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:27 pm I will admit I’m enjoying the Masters tournament, and I didn’t really intend to watch much of it, but I do think it’s running a few episodes too long given that it’s the same pool of contestants every night.
I’m also liking it more than I expected and fatigue hasn’t set in like during the TOC. I do think four games to eliminate one person is a bit much.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Anachronism wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:37 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:31 pm Ack. So much disdain for Jeopardy! Second Chance. I thought last year's SCC was good tv and the ratings were pretty good, too.

Just saw that WOF is bringing people back for another spin of the wheel. Everyone is doing it!
OK. Great for you. Admittedly, I'm considering ending my own quest, didn't even take the test again this year, but don't you think there's value to as many people as possible having that experience? Isn't that what makes Jeopardy different (and WoF, if you're more the bouncy type)?

If you can no longer see yourself on these shows, you can no longer identify with the contestants, except on a more superficial level like representation or identity.
Well, good for me ONLY if I get an invite for SCC. Time will tell.

The numbers are what they are, but a couple of hundred new people will get a call for S40. Still easier to get into Harvard or Yale, as Ken said.

And why not take the test when you’re eligible? It’s 15 minutes?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:30 pm
Anachronism wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:37 pm

Well, good for me ONLY if I get an invite for SCC. Time will tell.

The numbers are what they are, but a couple of hundred new people will get a call for S40. Still easier to get into Harvard or Yale, as Ken said.

And why not take the test when you’re eligible? It’s 15 minutes?
Since there has to be an SCC, I hope you get it. You were clearly good enough to be a real threat for a five-day run a good percentage of the time. I just see it as 20-30 less people getting a first shot.

How many slots in the Davies world go to yet another balding, middle-aged white male computer nerd? I've passed the test enough times - even taken it again and passed it on camera. I don't think they want to talk to that many people like me. I'm probably just about out of the potential interview pool, so I should go ahead and get back in the queue. I'm just not feeling it right now.

Decades ago, both Harvard and Yale turned me down... I would say their loss, but I think they did just fine without me.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:31 pm EP calls for everyone to cool it on hosts
(link removed)
You have posted an article that just talks about the primary source that has been discussed for the past page and a half of the thread.

Unnecessary.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just saw that WOF is bringing people back for another spin of the wheel. Everyone produced by Davies is doing it!
FTFY.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:35 am

Just saw that WOF is bringing people back for another spin of the wheel. Everyone produced by Davies is doing it!
FTFY.
Incorrect in this case. Michael Davies has zero involvement in Wheel of Fortune. Bellamie Blackstone is in charge over there.
Andy Saunders
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Even in season 39, after Richards was kicked, Steve Schwartz was running things; no executive producer was credited. I'm pretty sure the "Davies runs Wheel" misconception was caused by articles claiming he would replace Richards on both shows.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t have anything personal against morbedo or any potential SCC or CWC players. I’m just not a fan of bringing everyone back for special events.

Right now we have nine (including Ben) who have won at least four games plus the celebrity and HSRT champs. There are seven who have won three with 50 games left to play. How big will the TOC be and how deep will they go into the list?

There are nine who won twice and 23 one and done champs. How will they organize the CWC if the numbers don’t make a mathematical friendly field?

I do like making the TOC an annual event. It was that in the early days and changing it to whenever they felt like it disadvantaged some people while others got lucky depending when they closed the door.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:27 am
alietr wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:35 am

FTFY.
Incorrect in this case. Michael Davies has zero involvement in Wheel of Fortune. Bellamie Blackstone is in charge over there.
Ah. My bad.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:51 am How will they organize the CWC if the numbers don’t make a mathematical friendly field?
I mean, if you consider that 2 players will be eliminated each episode, and 3 players ultimately make the Tournament of Champions Final, any number of players that fits (2x + 3) is mathematically friendly, and you can adjust the number of people who come out of Second Chance into CWC to fit (2x + 3) very easily.
Andy Saunders
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:25 pm Wheaton comes off as a bully to me. He's picking on someone with no clout in that town and who can't do anything to strike back. Ken may be doing the wrong thing in Wil's eyes, and maybe Wil's right. But one thing is certain: Ken stands to lose a lot more in this fight. Wheaton stands to lose somewhere between effectively nothing and actually nothing. Jennings stands to lose the only job he's ever wanted in that godforsaken town and the only job he was ever going to be offered. This is a crap move on Wheaton's part. It's self-righteous sniping from a place of safety.
I don’t see what kind of power Wil is trying to wield. Unless Ken has some plan to become a professional actor I don’t see how crossing the picket line is going to hurt him professionally. Will actors boycott Celebrity Jeopardy in the future in retaliation if Ken is hosting? Horrors.

And if he loses the hosting job over this? He is probably financially set for life already and can always go back to whatever his job was before he got the call.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:25 pm Wheaton comes off as a bully to me. He's picking on someone with no clout in that town and who can't do anything to strike back. Ken may be doing the wrong thing in Wil's eyes, and maybe Wil's right. But one thing is certain: Ken stands to lose a lot more in this fight. Wheaton stands to lose somewhere between effectively nothing and actually nothing. Jennings stands to lose the only job he's ever wanted in that godforsaken town and the only job he was ever going to be offered. This is a crap move on Wheaton's part. It's self-righteous sniping from a place of safety.
I don’t see what kind of power Wil is trying to wield. Unless Ken has some plan to become a professional actor I don’t see how crossing the picket line is going to hurt him professionally. Will actors boycott Celebrity Jeopardy in the future in retaliation if Ken is hosting? Horrors.

And if he loses the hosting job over this? He is probably financially set for life already and can always go back to whatever his job was before he got the call.
Ken will never need to be a software engineer again.

His new book comes out next month:

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:31 pm
Ken will never need to be a software engineer again.

His new book comes out next month:

So excited for this! I was in the studio last week to watch a friend and asked Ken about vacation plans during his audience chat and he mentioned a book tour
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A nice long profile of Alex Jacob, from the World Poker Tour:

https://www.worldpokertour.com/news/who-is-alex-jacob/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:21 am A nice long profile of Alex Jacob, from the World Poker Tour:

https://www.worldpokertour.com/news/who-is-alex-jacob/
Vortex Jeopardy!-Fight Club? Nope, never heard of it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Now that I've read the full Vulture article, this Davies quote stood out:

"We don’t allow anybody back on the show who’s played before."
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

No they weren't. The ratings were slightly down for the SCC weeks compared to the year before.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Amy Schneider gives some quotes after elimination from the Masters
https://www.tvinsider.com/1093559/jeopa ... holzhauer/
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:50 pm Amy Schneider gives some quotes after elimination from the Masters
https://www.tvinsider.com/1093559/jeopa ... holzhauer/
Poorly written article. It implies Amy was eliminated due to her loss in the last game. But it was Matt’s victory in the previous game that gave her the boot, which she referenced when she said her game was meaningless.