Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

Gold medal question was tough.

I immediately eliminated Mexico and New Zealand. (I literally couldn't think of any sport where New Zealand won gold medals in) Then, it was down to Iran's success in wrestling versus Jamaica's success in sprinting. I'm fairly knowledgeable about Olympic wrestling and remember seeing somewhere that Iran's total was around ~15, so I went with Jamaica.

I'm a damn fool since NZ apparently won 6 gold medals in 2012 alone. Huh.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Also, anyone applied to try out at a certain date and gotten a reply back?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the Millionaire producers:

All of our current audition information can be located at millionairetv.com. More information on road audition locations and dates will be added within the next few weeks, so please remind them to keep checking back for additional auditions coming to the east coast.

We will be holding open auditions starting Monday May 16th at 5:00pm at Atlas Digital, 3425 Cahuenga Blvd W, Los Angeles, 90068. Sign Up auditions in Los Angeles will be happening from May 23rd-June 23rd.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Speak of the devil. Got an e-mail just a few hours ago confirming an audition time and date. Now I have to decide whether to make the 5 hour trek there on the given date or not, heh.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I applied twice in NYC, made it through all 3 parts of the process (test, interview, on camera questions), got a postcard each time saying I was in the pool both times. But no call.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I am currently swimming in the Millionaire pool
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Looks like the show is moving to LA...now I need to find a SoCal plus one if they call...and the cash to make the trip.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote:Looks like the show is moving to LA...now I need to find a SoCal plus one if they call...and the cash to make the trip.
How much did you lose in your bets? ;) http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51804
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Looks like the show is moving to LA...now I need to find a SoCal plus one if they call...and the cash to make the trip.
How much did you lose in your bets? ;) http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51804
Glad nobody wanted to bet, however if they did i might just be able to get half back...rumors are beginning about filming in Vegas. I could see that, cheaper than LA, and easier to fill the audience without having to pay the audience.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Glad nobody wanted to bet, however if they did i might just be able to get half back...rumors are beginning about filming in Vegas. I could see that, cheaper than LA, and easier to fill the audience without having to pay the audience.
Ugh. I certainly hope not. Can't think of a worse place.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Ugh. I certainly hope not. Can't think of a worse place.
I can...Stamford
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Any chance that Millionaire will have auditions and/or tapings in Vegas while TCONA's going on?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Carpe Diem wrote:Any chance that Millionaire will have auditions and/or tapings in Vegas while TCONA's going on?
That was the middle of the taping season last year, so if their schedule is the same and they actually are in Vegas, i would say yes
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It has been indicated elsewhere that the forms specify that you'll make your own way to Stamford. Whether those are old forms or not is subject to debate. Hopefully they're staying in Stamford.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Wouldn't have thought the audience was so woefully ignorant about Prince. And the contestant should have been the perfect age to remember approximately when the album came out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote:Wouldn't have thought the audience was so woefully ignorant about Prince. And the contestant should have been the perfect age to remember approximately when the album came out.
There is a long history of the ATA screwing the contestant on a music Q. For those that don't watch:
Spoiler
$10K
I don't have the exact wording, but the question wanted the number of years prior to the year in the song's title that Prince released "1999."

(In other words did "1999" come out in 1988, 1986, 1982, or 1979?)

The choices were 11, 13, 17, & 20

The ATA was:
38% for 11 yrs
32% for 13 yrs
19% for 17 yrs
11% for 20 yrs

The contestant went with the audience choice leaving her +1 unused. The 50:50 had already been used.

17 (1982) was correct and that was 33 years ago at the time of the taping and months before Prince died. Many in the audience were clearly under age 30 even if the contestant was older. Nothing about how it all played out surprised me in the least.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:Wouldn't have thought the audience was so woefully ignorant about Prince. And the contestant should have been the perfect age to remember approximately when the album came out.
I knew it wasn't 79 or 88, but 82 and 86 are too close together for me to be certain. I probably would have picked the wrong one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember the song coming out when I was in high school, so I got it right from playing it here, I did not see the game. But it seems like a hard one if you weren't alive then, especially if you hadn't yet been fed a steady diet of Prince memorials where you might have run across that information. I couldn't tell you what year a random Beatles hit was released.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Personally, I wouldn't consider not knowing the exact year it came out to be "woefully ignorant". Especially since I didn't know it. I thought it was a toughie for $10k.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I remember the song coming out when I was in high school
That's usually what I go by, but I just couldn't recall it either way (I graduated in 83).