Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

As for Friday ... just when I thought contestants couldn't come up with more spectacular ways to crash and burn ....

I will come up with a way of quantifying this. He was at the $30k. He has $20k in the bank and took the 50/50. So he has a 50% chance of $10k gain, and 50% chance of a $15k loss. That's an EV of -$2.5k. BUT ... if he gets it right, he keeps playing, and has additional EV stemming from that. That's what I was trying to get at a few weeks ago. Once I figure that out, I need to have those memorized so I can use them on the fly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:On the plus side, NV has no state income tax.
You still have to pay tax on the winnings in your home state (if your home state has an income tax).
His doesn't.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:On the plus side, NV has no state income tax.
You still have to pay tax on the winnings in your home state (if your home state has an income tax).
His doesn't.
Hence my caveat.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A question played by Jennifer Goldberg on the May 25 show:
Spoiler
What the contestant did with the question:
Spoiler
She used her 50:50 and then she used the Ask the Audience (75% for B & 25% for C)
When a contestant needs to use the +1 lifeline it's nice to have a ringer at the ready: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=610
Spoiler

Lyn knew it was B because the movie was The French Connection and the character was Popeye (Doyle).
How Jennifer's stack ended:
Spoiler
She made it to the 50K question and walked on selecting the non-Kanye West album title leaving with $30,000
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:When a contestant needs to use the +1 lifeline it's nice to have a ringer at the ready: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=610
Spoiler

Lyn knew it was B because the movie was The French Connection and the character was Popeye (Doyle).
I don't know if it counts as a ringer when that player previously won six digits on Millionaire.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:When a contestant needs to use the +1 lifeline it's nice to have a ringer at the ready: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=610
Spoiler

I don't know if it counts as a ringer when that player previously won six digits on Millionaire.
Isn't that what makes her a ringer?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:How Jennifer's stack ended:
Spoiler
She made it to the 50K question and walked on selecting the non-Kanye West album title leaving with $30,000
Ooh, can you get a screenshot of that if at all possible?

I should probably just start recording this regularly, but I've become complacent thanks to people who watch it earlier than it airs here and post about notable events. (But seriously, thanks to those people for posting about them.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dinghammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:How Jennifer's stack ended:
Spoiler
Ooh, can you get a screenshot of that if at all possible?

I should probably just start recording this regularly, but I've become complacent thanks to people who watch it earlier than it airs here and post about notable events. (But seriously, thanks to those people for posting about them.)
Usually I delete the show from my DVR soon after watching it. Because I was posting about what happened earlier in the game I decided to keep the show a little longer in case something came up about the stack.

The requested screenshot:
Spoiler
What happened:
Spoiler
After Jennifer decided to walk Chris had her take a guess for fun and she would have been correct with B.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: What happened:
Spoiler
After Jennifer decided to walk Chris had her take a guess for fun and she would have been correct with B.
Thank you! I would have had to walk too. I only knew C and D.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You knew two more than I did.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I cursed at the TV when that Kanye question came up. I guessed the correct answer would be "Final Exams"
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Spoiler

Isn't that what makes her a ringer?
I thought a ringer is someone who sneaks in under the radar, whom no one in the know has any reason to suspect is better than the average unknown. Anyone in the know as far as Millionaire goes would expect Lyn to be a cut above the usual +1.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Fortunately, I'd still have all my lifelines for Kanye, and would use the audience. I'm guessing they'd know that.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote:Fortunately, I'd still have all my lifelines for Kanye, and would use the audience. I'm guessing they'd know that.
Yeah, there was no reason for lifeline use prior to that question. Pretty straightforward stack. It's exactly the kind of question to put to the audience, the kind of pop culture 'this amazingly smart-looking audience' would be able to help with. She had absolutely wasted the audience on a question she didn't trust them even with a 3-1 split.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bomtr wrote:
alietr wrote:Fortunately, I'd still have all my lifelines for Kanye, and would use the audience. I'm guessing they'd know that.
Yeah, there was no reason for lifeline use prior to that question. Pretty straightforward stack. It's exactly the kind of question to put to the audience, the kind of pop culture 'this amazingly smart-looking audience' would be able to help with. She had absolutely wasted the audience on a question she didn't trust them even with a 3-1 split.
I've always thought the 'amazingly smart-looking audience' was funny as hell, because you can't see them until you after you declare that you want to use that lifeline.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's not my intention to do this every day as I do recognize it's a J! Board, but sometimes the results beg for sharing.

From the 5/26 show:
For those of you not watching these are the kinds of thing you miss seeing (or as the case may be, don't miss at all):

Karen Evans
Spoiler
$2000

What happened:
Spoiler

Karen's thinking was to pick the answer having to do with water.
She will get $1000 for showing up although the show does not let viewers know it happens as it can appear she leaves with $0 by failing to reach the $5000 first threshold
Next contestant Emily Jocus:
Spoiler
$20,000

Lifeline usage:
Spoiler
Cousin Katie, a history teacher, was not thinking it was Ireland or Mexico. Katie had not heard of a civil war in Spain and was leaning Russia as was Emily. They decided to use the 50:50

What happened after using the lifelines:
Spoiler

Emily left with 5,000 and the ATA unused.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Thank goodness I didn't have her as a history teacher if she had never heard of a civil war in Spain ...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Thank goodness I didn't have her as a history teacher if she had never heard of a civil war in Spain ...
Or thought Russia had a civil war in 1936.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

"…just because I haven't necessarily heard of a civil war in Spain"

Pick better Plus Ones, people
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pick better Plus Ones, people
I plan to.