Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Winchell Factor »

I knew I would be able to find people here who share in my outrage.

Man, if my kids had a history teacher who hadn't heard of a civil war in Spain in the 1930s, I would be positively apoplectic!
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

MarkBarrett wrote:It's not my intention to do this every day as I do recognize it's a J! Board, but sometimes the results beg for sharing.
I don't mind at all. I can't even see Millionaire in my local market. I'll appreciate every screenshot you post.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Winchell Factor wrote:I knew I would be able to find people here who share in my outrage.

Man, if my kids had a history teacher who hadn't heard of a civil war in Spain in the 1930s, I would be positively apoplectic!
Nobody expects the Spanish Civil War.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I knew I would be able to find people here who share in my outrage.

Nobody expects the Spanish Civil War.
I suspected this was some kind of humor and told myself, "Watch it be SNL or Monty Python" as I did a Google search. Yup.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote:"…just because I haven't necessarily heard of a civil war in Spain"

Pick better Plus Ones, people
Pick better contestants show...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Re. today's show:
Spoiler
Best. Fifty-Fifty. Ever. :lol:
(Had pretty much the same reaction as the contestant and his Plus One.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Carpe Diem wrote:Re. today's show:
Spoiler
Best. Fifty-Fifty. Ever. :lol:
(Had pretty much the same reaction as the contestant and his Plus One.)
Come on, you know I can't let that kind of teaser go without giving more information. :)

The Q teased about above from the 5/27 show:
Spoiler
Douglas Kane - $30,000 Q

Douglas worked out what he could about the choices going off the name Boris and the location of the countries. He thought Boris was more a Russian name, so Belarus or Latvia most likely (as well as the expected 50:50 leave), but then thought the player could have Russian parents who moved to France and had their kid there for all he knew.

Lineline usage:
Spoiler
The ATA was already used. The partner of Douglas, Jason, was called down. In talking it out they did know the calling code for England was 44. They agreed to go ahead and use the 50:50 help.

It was a huge reaction then laugh from the audience to go with the stunned looks from the guys as it's quite rare to have the 50:50 completely opposite of the expected 2 remaining choices.
What Douglas did:
Spoiler
He walked with $20,000 and the answer was France.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Just watched today's episode. Thoughts on the question:
Spoiler
I knew it cold, and was sure a 50/50 would leave France and one of the others, totally screwing him over.

That would have been a great $250,000 curveball. Not so much at $30,000 – that's just cruel. Either you know a random country code or you know a random NBA player?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote:Just watched today's episode. Thoughts on the question:
Spoiler
I knew it cold, and was sure a 50/50 would leave France and one of the others, totally screwing him over.

That would have been a great $250,000 curveball. Not so much at $30,000 – that's just cruel. Either you know a random country code or you know a random NBA player?
Agreed. I was thinking along the same lines as they were, but something in the back of my head was going "you know this country code, so that means it's one of the other two [that were left after the 50/50]." It was some serious misdirection at that value. I've said it before -- they've been throwing in some tough questions in the lower dollar values lately.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

It's not necessarily tough at all.

I haven't watched basketball in over 3 years, and I still knew that one cold. I think anyone who has followed basketball with more than a casual level of engagement over the last decade would know Boris Diaw, as he is a good player that was on a bunch of top teams, won an NBA Championship with the Spurs, the NBA's Most Improved award, and has been in the league for 13 years.

Now admittedly, if you don't follow basketball at all, it's exceptionally difficult. But that's true of many questions at that level, and pro basketball doesn't strike me as overly niche.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the last week of new episodes for the season? Anyway...

Jamie Rosler led off the 6/1 show going for
Spoiler
$100,000

She had already used her 50:50. Lifeline #2
Spoiler
What happened next including correct answer:
Spoiler
Jamie's +1 was her improv coach and he did not know, but had voted along with the slim audience majority.

And next:
Spoiler
$250,000 with no lifelines remaining

Then:
Spoiler
Jamie walked with $100,000 although she had been leaning towards A. thinking Amelia Earhart.
Then:
Spoiler
The answer was revealed as D. for Wallis Simpson
My reaction to the above:
Spoiler
What a dream for 100K as I knew those colors as a kid thanks to many hours playing against a friend on his Pivot Pool game. I wish I knew what the 50:50 would have left on the 250K Q since I had eliminated Marie Curie and Eleanor Roosevelt from consideration. Good for the contestant for getting out with the 6-figure sum.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:My reaction to the above:
Spoiler
What a dream for 100K as I knew those colors as a kid thanks to many hours playing against a friend on his Pivot Pool game. I wish I knew what the 50:50 would have left on the 250K Q since I had eliminated Marie Curie and Eleanor Roosevelt from consideration. Good for the contestant for getting out with the 6-figure sum.
Question:
Spoiler
Why did you eliminate Roosevelt? She certainly was active during those years. Curie was easy to get rid of (because, well, dead) and Earhart didn't seem like the right years: her transatlantic flight was earlier and she didn't disappear until the following year.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
I got the $100k, but I'll admit it was mostly a guess, and I wouldn't have gone for it if it weren't a free guess. I was leaning toward Earhart on the $250k, but there's no way I was guessing on that one without a lifeline. She did good.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:My reaction to the above:
Spoiler
Question:
Spoiler
Why did you eliminate Roosevelt? She certainly was active during those years. Curie was easy to get rid of (because, well, dead) and Earhart didn't seem like the right years: her transatlantic flight was earlier and she didn't disappear until the following year.
My reasoning was
Spoiler
Too late for Curie and perhaps earlier or later for Eleanor, but not 1936. I watched all 14 hours of The Roosevelts on PBS and did not recall anything about Eleanor getting the yearly honor from Time. For 1936 she's already been First Lady for a few years and it's not war time yet or post FDR. I saw her there only as a possible trap for a gambler.

For Earhart I had her in play for doing notable things in the 1930s without knowing exactly when she made her famous flights before she disappeared in 1937.

Wallis Simpson getting the magazine's distinction rang a slight bell and for $250K she would not have stuck out as the best or even best known choice of the four for the typical Millionaire contestant, so perfect at that level. I very likely would have had all my lifelines available at that point and would have used something to try to help.

Of course the question's choices did not specifically name those women although it would seem reasonable those are the four.

I like the question for that level in the money tree and consider it quite fair.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Spoiler
Wallis Simpson getting the magazine's distinction rang a slight bell and for $250K she would not have stuck out as the best or even best known choice of the four for the typical Millionaire contestant, so perfect at that level. I very likely would have had all my lifelines available at that point and would have used something to try to help.

Of course the question's choices did not specifically name those women although it would seem reasonable those are the four.

I like the question for that level in the money tree and consider it quite fair.
Spoiler
It would have been too easy with the names – 1936 is Pavlovian for Edward VIII (and the Year of Three Kings), and I'm guessing a lot of players who get to $250k will feel the same way. I had the same reaction as Jamie once Chris gave up the ghost.

As for eliminating other options, I remember reading something that no presidential candidate has won the honor in an election year, so I felt pretty good that the rule would hold to wives as well. Didn't know Curie's death date and was unsure whether Earhart had done something significant in 1936. Maybe a 50/50 would have left the First Lady.

Pool balls: strangely enough I know this mostly from playing pool after competing in one of Jamie's trivia events on a regular basis. For those who are unaware, the colors for 1-7 (solids) repeat in the same order for 9-15 (stripes), so if you recall the 9 ball is yellow, you've eliminated two options.

I'm very happy for Jamie – she's a great girl and I know she'll put the money to good use!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

IronNeck wrote:Also, anyone applied to try out at a certain date and gotten a reply back?
Both my selected dates have now passed with no email reply, so I signed up again with two new dates. Too many potential contestants from L.A., maybe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The final question of the season:
Spoiler
Spencer Morgan, a college student, was selected from the audience to play one question (no lifelines) for $1000 as this is done at the end of some shows when there is not enough time to start a new game.

What happened:
Spoiler
Spencer said he did not know sports and he sure proved it.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:The final question of the season:
O.M.G. That's not just not knowing sports. Way to blow a gift of $1,000.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The final question of the season:
O.M.G. That's not just not knowing sports. Way to blow a gift of $1,000.
Why would the writers not put
Spoiler
Memphis Drizzlies
?