LL BWA Entries

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL BWA Entries

Post by alietr »

I took my once-a-season stab with Paula Vogel's play ... How I Learned to ... StopWorryingandLovetheBomb.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

As the butterfly is to a caterpillar, a fly is to a maggot, and a frog is to a tadpole, a scarab beetle is to a what?
I'm not sure, but it's crawling up your shoulder right now
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Simon was the middle name of what American journalist and playwright...
David S Pumpkins
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The voting ... Some good choices this time around. I went with 1) David S. Pumpkins; 2) J'accuzzi; and 3) Nobody Expects the Spanish Improvisation!

Nakatomi and Francy Schmancy were also in consideration until the end.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:46 pm
David S Pumpkins
Was this your submission? I think it's got a good chance for VBWA.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:02 pm
David S Pumpkins
I plead the 5th
Volante

Post by Volante »

David S Pumpkins
It did not even place:
https://learnedleague.com/hist/awards/94.php

The deserved winner got it though. That one had layers.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:46 pm
David S Pumpkins
It did not even place:
https://learnedleague.com/hist/awards/94.php

The deserved winner got it though. That one had layers.
Thanks for posting the link. I can never find it through the website. Those are some good wrong answers.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

...This type of company, which is sometimes known as a "blank check company" and whose popularity has risen sharply in the last few years, is best known by what four letter acronym?
C.H.U.D.

I later gave the actual answer the meaning "Stuff posing as capitalism" in my head
Volante

Post by Volante »

FOOD/DRINK —What is the name, from the Hindi for "to lick", for the array of popular savory street-food snacks sold at roadside stalls and food carts across the Indian subcontinent?
Khlav Kalash
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:55 am
FOOD/DRINK —What is the name, from the Hindi for "to lick", for the array of popular savory street-food snacks sold at roadside stalls and food carts across the Indian subcontinent?
Khlav Kalash
My one and only BWA, from the Jews and Judaism mini-league.

https://www.learnedleague.com/mini/ques ... udaism&9&4

From back when the MLs only had 15 or 20 groups.

Fun fact: the answer I was trying to think of was "kreplach". I wrong-answered it but good.
Volante

Post by Volante »

I, to the best of my knowledge, have never been familiar with the actual response. So you can imagine my shock upon seeing it after going the direction I did with my goof:
LANGUAGE —Different types of affixes in English include the prefix (e.g., "dis" in "dislike"), suffix (e.g., "able" in "fixable"), and a third type that is exemplified by the third "s" of "passersby". What is the name for this latter type of affix?
The fix is in!

(It did not count)
Volante

Post by Volante »

What is the name of the fully developed urban center that existed in present-day Western Illinois in the 12th century CE and was built around a central mound that reached a height of over 100 feet?
Mall of Indigenous America
Volante

Post by Volante »

Identify the fruit, a hybrid between a mandarin and a sweet orange, that is named after a French missionary (last name Rodier) in whose Northern Algerian garden the hybrid originated in the late 19th century.
Jacquesfruit
(..or, at least, I would've put that if I didn't figure it out for real at the 56th minute (or if I knew my opponent was going to zero me for that one...))
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:50 am
Identify the fruit, a hybrid between a mandarin and a sweet orange, that is named after a French missionary (last name Rodier) in whose Northern Algerian garden the hybrid originated in the late 19th century.
Jacquesfruit
(..or, at least, I would've put that if I didn't figure it out for real at the 56th minute (or if I knew my opponent was going to zero me for that one...))
That's the problem. Especially in A, every point counts. I'll think of a BWA (well, to me at least), but I don't want to lose the points if I do know the answer. So I make very few BWA attempts.
Volante

Post by Volante »

A coulter (or skeith) cuts a vertical slice, and a share makes a horizontal cut underneath; the slice is then turned by the moldboard while lateral accuracy and stability are maintained by the landside. This describes the operation of the "moldboard" or "bottom" type of what mechanical implement?
First Holy Grail trap
Volante

Post by Volante »

TELEVISION —Takahashi and Delvecchio were the last names of two different (and largely sequential) characters on the television series Happy Days. Give the respective first names of these two characters, by which they were better known—generally due to their proprietorship of a certain business establishment. (Note, two names required.)
Chuck, Sneed
(It's a Simpsons reference)